EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Anyone going to Mt Hood this Summer? If you can't go this year, why?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone going to Mt Hood this Summer? If you can't go this year, why?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
So who's going for some mid/late summer skiing this summer? What do you plan on trying new/learning? Sadly, I can't go this year, plane tix are just wayyy too much, almost as much as a week of camp.
post #2 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise To The Top View Post
So who's going for some mid/late summer skiing this summer? What do you plan on trying new/learning? Sadly, I can't go this year, plane tix are just wayyy too much, almost as much as a week of camp.
Attended the PMTS Race Camp last week and had my kids up training SL today. Hood has excellent conditions. I'll try to get some pics up so people can see what summer skiing can be like.

Working on a quicker release, pressure control, and line.
post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_501 View Post
Attended the PMTS Race Camp last week and had my kids up training SL today. Hood has excellent conditions. I'll try to get some pics up so people can see what summer skiing can be like.

Working on a quicker release, pressure control, and line.
Are you from the area?
post #4 of 19
Even though Blackcomb provides lift-accessible skiing every day until late July, this might be the year for some of us to take a road trip to Timberline, thanks to the fantastic snowpack they've accumulated over the past season.
Up here in Whistler, thanks to a week-long heatwave in mid-May, a lot of snow melted and has restricted skiing to the glacier alone at this point, rather than including the 2000 vertical foot descent on the 7th heaven chair that's often skiable until late June or early July. The features on the huge terrain park that they've built up on Horstman glacier can be a blast all the same.
Nevertheless, I'm thinking they'll be able to allow skiing/boarding down to the bottom of Magic Mile at Hood until the first weekend in August. Any locals from the area think they'll be able to pull that off or might it be skiing on Palmer chair only by then?
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise To The Top View Post
Are you from the area?
I get up at 4am, leave by 5am, and I'm there at 7am (when the lifts open). Today the snow up on Palmer was decent until 1pm (maybe later). Its cool being able to ski all summer.
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beric in Whistler View Post
Any locals from the area think they'll be able to pull that off or might it be skiing on Palmer chair only by then?
So far the lower area is in great shape. Hard to say what it'll be like 1 month from now, but seems like alot more coverage than the last couple of years for this time.
post #7 of 19
I only go there for one run. From the top. Usually one of the best runs of the year.
post #8 of 19
I went Memorial Day weekend. Saturday was glorious, but Sunday was frickin' freezing! Horizontal 40MPH 33-degree rain with white-out fog.

Up at 4AM to go skiing, Max? : That's pretty hard core.
post #9 of 19
I shot this vid from the parking lot. Note the snow in spots on the pavement.

post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrophobia View Post
Up at 4AM to go skiing, Max? : That's pretty hard core.
Hard core is hitting the trailhead at 4 to bust butt up 6000' before the corn turns to slush.
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Morgan View Post
Hard core is hitting the trailhead at 4 to bust butt up 6000' before the corn turns to slush.


We all know you're Superman, Harry!

post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrophobia View Post


We all know you're Superman, Harry!

Heck no...I usually sleep in and curse the alarm until at least 5:30, then scramble to get out the door before it gets too warm out.
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Morgan View Post
Heck no...I usually sleep in and curse the alarm until at least 5:30, then scramble to get out the door before it gets too warm out.
5:30?

Oh! Well in that case - you SLACKER!
post #14 of 19
timberline was great last week. we were up for some "speed" training. although the courses were way to tight, and slow, it was great.
post #15 of 19
I will be up there late next week.
post #16 of 19
I'll be there over the 4th of July weekend. My first time in da Hood.

Michael
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
I will be up there late next week.
When? I might swing by for a few turns and an Ice Axe Ale.
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfydog View Post
When? I might swing by for a few turns and an Ice Axe Ale.
Heh, that would be fun.
post #19 of 19
May hit the mogul camp they have up there in August to work on my bumping...anyone else want to go?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Anyone going to Mt Hood this Summer? If you can't go this year, why?