EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Reduced Discretionary Money Caused by Higher Energy Costs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reduced Discretionary Money Caused by Higher Energy Costs - Page 3

post #61 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-Rich View Post
Ill treat you like a lady, but when its on then its on....dont expect me to hold back, you'll just be another kill for me. The weight gain might help you...they say heavier skiers go faster.
Whoa! Shades of Bobby Riggs and Andy Kaufman, all in one!



Then again, they're both dead guys
post #62 of 82
If there is quick profit to be made all of the sticky fingers involved will be busy at work as they are now.

Does anyone remember the last time we had an energy crisis in the 70's a and DC came up with "controls" to keep prices down?

The deal was that you were only allowed to up the price when there was a sale and transfer of the oil, fuel or whatever.

The reality was that the companies were "selling" the product back and forth to each other ...... without it ever leaving the tank ..... all paper transfers ..... and up went the price with each paper transfer.

:
post #63 of 82
I'm going to be curious about what happens with lift ticket prices. I have to imagine energy costs for lifts and base area heating/lighting are substantial. And my local hill lights something like 500 acres for night skiing. Given how a number of other industries have gone, I'm half expecting to see basic ticket prices listed and then an add on "energy surcharge" in the 5 or 10 buck range... Crazy expectation or not?

Oh yeah - I'm throwing my money down for bklyn. With or without training bonbons.
post #64 of 82
Rajun & Yuki (and other fishermen)

Don't feel bad, guys. Salmon season off the coast of California has been CANCELLED this year. For the first time ever. (My fishing circle blames those who damned the rivers and cut the circle of regeneration.) Now, all those west coast boats (the whole fishing industry) is getting hit by the chain reaction of losing salmon being multiplied by rising fuel costs for other fish.

One can only presume that the death of the west coast salmon species will have ripple effects on a global scale.

Anyway, back to rising prices. No trip home to see my family this year. Not that I could go fishing with the old man anyway. :

So... yeah... wasteful people piss me off.
post #65 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911over View Post
I see a new section on Epic Ski next year. Not just a "Meet on the Hill" but a "Carpool TO the Hill".

Solo trips to my home hill run about 4 gals round trip. Not too bad except I'm in California & regular unleaded is $4.79 & diesel is over $5.15 /gal. Economy car will be about $20.00 per day & the 4X4 for snowy chain days, eeeek! CARPOOL !
+1
In '06-07, I was a member of snowpals.org and got lots of rides from people driving in from the Bay Area willing to stop off and pick me up in Davis on the way to Tahoe. This works better if you are in the Bay Area or close to I-80/Hwy 50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911over View Post
crgildart, I sent a suggestion to my home mountain's management recently for a web link be created for carpoolers. With liability concerns, that will take some thought which Summer provides time for. Since they treat passholders like gold with tons of money saving rewards already provided, I would expect them to find a way to help with a method hooking up car poolers. Now is a great time for ski resorts to team with regular customers to work on this so it's in place for the on-coming season.

I personally figure people want to ride with me not only for the great company, but I was awarded a "preferred parking pass" parking us within 100-200 yards of the lodge. Easy to get to the ice chest for lunch & saving that cost, as well a quick easy walk at the end of the day, especially with kids who have to carry their own equipment. No time to complain of being too tired to carry skis & poles.!
I see that Durango Mountain Resort has a program that gives prefered parking to carpoolers and think other resorts should do similar.
http://www.durangomountainresort.com...feature_ID=153

I think it is too bad that resorts have to worry about liability issues in running their own carpooling site (although a disclaimer would probably shield from judgement), but think that a link to a 3rd party site (i.e. snowpals or a site on epic like you suggested) may be even a better alternative, especially in cases where there are several ski resorts clustered together.
post #66 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
I'm so sick of the typical condescending speech... "You should kiss their a$$es because they spend money in your town"... I have lived in a tourism/recreation/real estate based economy my whole life. I DO understand that my "permanent vacation" is funded by those that go on once-a-year vacations. DUH!!!
I do however need to remind you that all tourists are not "tourons." That means that they can stimulate the local economy and have a great vacation without being a wasteful, consumptive morons!
There is a difference you know. Just because a certain user group stimulates the economy doesn't mean that folks like me should just shut up and let them do whatever they want!

P.S. - MAKE me move! Dare ya!
If Warren Buffett is correct, and we're headed into a deep and long recession, it will be a bumpy ride for resort areas and those who live there. If gas goes to $10 as one poster hopes, Telluride will be a ghost town.
post #67 of 82
I´m living in Estonia, so we don´t have mountains here. The nearest "mountains" we have, are in Finland, so over 300 km + 80 (one way) km by ferry, away.
The first "real" mountains are in Sweden or in Norway, which are about 16 hour ferry trip from Estonia to Sweden + AT least 600 km car trip (one way again). To get to Austria/Switzerland/France is roughly from 2000 to 2600 km one way. Do the math.
I´m considering myself as well paid employee here, and I´m making about 2000$ per month. Roughly same does my wife. And we have gas price just under 2$ and diesel price 2,03 $ per liter.
You are quite lucky people there, my one week ski holiday to France costs me about 1600-2200 $ per face (count my wife in and make it double). and I´m not living out large.Don´t go eat out, no food on the mountain( except what I bring with me) no pubs at evening and so on.

But I´m still doing it. Just can´t afford NOT going. But with the new gas prices, I just can´t buy new gear each year.:
post #68 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
If Warren Buffett is correct, and we're headed into a deep and long recession, it will be a bumpy ride for resort areas and those who live there. If gas goes to $10 as one poster hopes, Telluride will be a ghost town.
Actually the first American cities projected to be abandoned due to energy/water costs will be Phoenix and Las Vegas the experts say. Those cities are EXTREMELY dependent on cheap energy in order to exist. Telluride has survived decades before with NO ECONOMY... those years in the 60's after mining and before skiing. The town population dropped to less that 500 people and it came back to what you see today. Trust me, we would make it fine with $10 gas... that's nothing!
post #69 of 82
$10.00/gallon is what many predict will initiate domestic drilling for oil again. Telluride is sitting on top of vast reserves according to geological surveys. Thus, it is poised to become a boomtown to host thousands and thousands of roughnecks and all the collateral damage they will bring along with them. I'd bet most of them will be driving BIG TRUCKS.

Be careful what you ask for
post #70 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
$10.00/gallon is what many predict will initiate domestic drilling for oil again. Telluride is sitting on top of vast reserves according to geological surveys. Thus, it is poised to become a boomtown to host thousands and thousands of roughnecks and all the collateral damage they will bring along with them. I'd bet most of them will be driving BIG TRUCKS.

Be careful what you ask for
Telluride is already a boom-town and is mostly "built out" already. That means that there is simply no more developable land for additional housing/development (geographic barriers). They have already started drilling here. "Roughnecks driving big trucks?" Sounds like you are referring to the current construction/development industry?
You are a bit behind the curve here... but thanks anyway.
post #71 of 82
Finally, the cost of energy has gotten to the point were it will generate pause and impetus to consider alternative sources and habits (for some anyways). Imagine where we'd be now if the crunch of the '70s created momentum and solutions for vehicles, transportation systems and buildings and development planning?

Our tourist/real estate/discretionary fund based economy has been on a downswing since last summer with little increase in sight. It's a overdue 'correction' since the feeding frenzy prior has created a bunch of over zealous, tacky and short sighted development.

Yet another benefit of Nordic and Touring/Backcountry skiing is possible closer options for many to get a snow/ski fix, while getting in shape.

I know the gondolas at Telluride use wind power (from Wyoming, I think). Hopefully, the incentive will grow for others to put cash into renewable energy sources rather than an excuse to trash domestic short term petroleum options. Many utilities offer the option to purchase 'green power' and all of us can choose to purchase items that are purchased closer to home or produced with renewable/recyclable resources which can also influence demand.

The easiest way for all of us to save energy costs (and reduce global affects) is conservation, which is interestingly not a front burner issue in this election. Just imagine if we put the Iraq War money towards solutions (and the domestic jobs and industry).

From an associate:
Quote:
I watched a interview with the CEO of TNT (Europe's largest courier) yesterday and he was advocating for local production instead of flying a fleet of 2 747's to China empty then loaded on the return trip back to Europe on an ongoing basis (2 planes produce the equivalent of their 20,000 delivery trucks in Co2 immissions). Food for thought.
I watched a segment on getting the largest container ship in the world that could get through the Panama Canal, through it. It was unbelievably huge. I have no idea how much oil one of these things consumes, but the rub was that it was going back to China......empty to pick up more products to chug back to NYC!! :
post #72 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
Telluride is already a boom-town and is mostly "built out" already. That means that there is simply no more developable land for additional housing/development (geographic barriers). They have already started drilling here. "Roughnecks driving big trucks?" Sounds like you are referring to the current construction/development industry?
You are a bit behind the curve here... but thanks anyway.
Funny, I see about 600 huge parcels of undeveloped land currently available in the area. Granted, most require MAJOR blasting and bull dozing to become buildable. But, where there's $ there's a way.:
http://www.realestateintelluride.net...ch.asp?pLT=LAN
post #73 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estonian View Post
I´m living in Estonia, so we don´t have mountains here. The nearest "mountains" we have, are in Finland, so over 300 km + 80 (one way) km by ferry, away.
The first "real" mountains are in Sweden or in Norway, which are about 16 hour ferry trip from Estonia to Sweden + AT least 600 km car trip (one way again). To get to Austria/Switzerland/France is roughly from 2000 to 2600 km one way. Do the math.
I´m considering myself as well paid employee here, and I´m making about 2000$ per month. Roughly same does my wife. And we have gas price just under 2$ and diesel price 2,03 $ per liter.
You are quite lucky people there, my one week ski holiday to France costs me about 1600-2200 $ per face (count my wife in and make it double). and I´m not living out large.Don´t go eat out, no food on the mountain( except what I bring with me) no pubs at evening and so on.

But I´m still doing it. Just can´t afford NOT going. But with the new gas prices, I just can´t buy new gear each year.:

You have a very admirable determination to ski.
The typical US poster on this website may have salary 5 times greater than yours. Even after recent price increases, we pay approximately half as much for gas. You make us look like cry babies!
Can you ski where the last Pope did in Zakopane:
http://outside.away.com/outside/adventure/200201/200201fieldnotes.html
post #74 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEfree30 View Post
+1
In '06-07, I was a member of snowpals.org and got lots of rides from people driving in from the Bay Area willing to stop off and pick me up in Davis on the way to Tahoe. This works better if you are in the Bay Area or close to I-80/Hwy 50.

I see that Durango Mountain Resort has a program that gives prefered parking to carpoolers and think other resorts should do similar.
http://www.durangomountainresort.com...feature_ID=153

I think it is too bad that resorts have to worry about liability issues in running their own carpooling site (although a disclaimer would probably shield from judgement), but think that a link to a 3rd party site (i.e. snowpals or a site on epic like you suggested) may be even a better alternative, especially in cases where there are several ski resorts clustered together.
Thank you for the snowpals info. I really don't want to be like one of those big ships going empty to a destination. A link to a carpooling resource from area resorts is one of the ideas I suggested. Cal trans has one for work carpooling. Maybe one for skiers could be established.
Hybrid vehicles get front & center parking at this time. Carpooling is pretty well established in general, I think the solo driver/skiers are likely a minority.

Estonia - your dedication to skiing is awesome. Guessing that would be why you are here on EpicSki !
post #75 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
Funny, I see about 600 huge parcels of undeveloped land currently available in the area. Granted, most require MAJOR blasting and bull dozing to become buildable. But, where there's $ there's a way.:
http://www.realestateintelluride.net...ch.asp?pLT=LAN
Those will end up going one-for-35 (meaning one house per 35 acres) as "ranchettes" for the wealthy. That way they can circumvent local regulations and already have county approval (ie; no red tape). To become anything else, it would go to public input process (lots of red tape) and never become commercial or residentially(clustered) developed. Real estate prices are out of hand here because of supply and demand. There just isn't much left that would get a building permit, bulldozers or not. But thanks anyway!
post #76 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911over View Post
Thank you for the snowpals info. I really don't want to be like one of those big ships going empty to a destination. A link to a carpooling resource from area resorts is one of the ideas I suggested. Cal trans has one for work carpooling. Maybe one for skiers could be established.
Hybrid vehicles get front & center parking at this time. Carpooling is pretty well established in general, I think the solo driver/skiers are likely a minority.
Quote:
see that Durango Mountain Resort has a program that gives prefered parking to carpoolers and think other resorts should do similar.
http://www.durangomountainresort.com...feature_ID=153
DMR is poorly laid out, both the mountain and base area. One reason for the carpooling is they keep nipping away at limited parking resources for condos. But, if the 'green spin' and perceived conveniences helps with carpooling decisions, by all means push it. DMR also offers a shuttle bus from town, 25 miles away. Great for the kids to hook up and reduces drop offs by parents.

Is the Winter Park train still running? I never did ride it, but it always seemed like a great way to travel to and from the area from Denver.

Telluride offers an employee shuttle from outlying towns like Ridgway and I assume Montrose and Norwood....not sure about skiing public options.
post #77 of 82
Thank You! We try to make it, and we are really committed towards skiing.

We came from former USSR! We (Estonians) like to think that we are better economists and better planners than Russian people. We think about the future and try to save money. Russians usually spend it all they have, the same day they get it. I can see it every day here, ( We have approx ~25% of them living among us ) they like to spend their money on cars and clothing.
Don´t get me wrong, that´s not the rule, not all of them are like this.

Every year I make plans where to go with my wife and then we start saving money. A little bit every month and that´s how it goes. We haven´t missed a year of skiing in Alps and try to go to either Sweden/Norway/Slovakia every year also.


I have driven past the Zakopane couple of times, unfortunately I haven´t been there. They had a really awful winter on that year. So I try to do it next year probably.
post #78 of 82
Estonian I think probably the benefit of not having local mountains to ski on would be it forces you to take a vacation and trip to other places. Keeps you from being locked in to one thing and forces you to join in & experience the greater world and all there is to offer. I say this 'cause I would LOVE to experience skiing in Europe. Yes, I'm saving & forming ideas for that trip. Won't be next season. But maybe the following ??
post #79 of 82

Here is a great but brutal summary ...

Who said: Surely a look at the better would include a look at the worst?
Well here you go...And the next fifty are gonna make the last five hundred look EASY.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJYCgKXPIMU
post #80 of 82
I think next season will be real interesting for the ski areas. With the costs of getting to the hill higher, I think if onditions are marginal ticket sales will plummet. I predict people will be "pickier" regarding the days they spend their money to ski, and the industry will have a down year. Just my uninformed opinion.
post #81 of 82
Here's a thought! You may want to buy your gear this coming season rather than put it off another year because the prices were set in January 08 and future production and delivery costs will be passed on in 09/10! In fact, probably the best deals available are NOW with end of season prices! You will probably never see prices lower, at my shop anyway! Need boots?
post #82 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud heishman View Post
Here's a thought! You may want to buy your gear this coming season rather than put it off another year because the prices were set in January 08 and future production and delivery costs will be passed on in 09/10! In fact, probably the best deals available are NOW with end of season prices! You will probably never see prices lower, at my shop anyway! Need boots?
Just to add to this thought, the relatively low value of the dollar is not currently reflected in last-season's imports. The increases could be fairly dramatic, or they may be absorbed by the manufacturers, distributors and retailers. Either way, someone is going to feel it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Reduced Discretionary Money Caused by Higher Energy Costs