EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Advise needed on late May Snowbird trip...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advise needed on late May Snowbird trip...

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Ok... I've been going through logistics to visit snowbird May 30-June 1. I live in Cali, my girlfriend lives in Pitts temporarily for work. With the announcement of extended season at Snowbird we are thinking of meeting in SLC and skiing at Snowbird that weekend.

I'm an advanced intermediate, she is an intermediate. I have some free flights that will work for us but after doing all the math for lodging, rental car, lift tickets and flights it looks like the total cost would be about $660 split two ways so about $330 each (of course this doesn't include the value of the two free flights i would be using).

It seems reasonable... but my concern is about the ski-ability of the terrain that will be open. I'm aware of the unpredictability of spring conditions but would it just not be fun or would we be able to enjoy ourselves?

Any opinions or experience that late in the season at Snowbird?
post #2 of 24
http://www.snowbird.com/lodging/hotdeals.php?deal=10

Pay a little more and stay at the Cliff. You'll have fun!
post #3 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post
http://www.snowbird.com/lodging/hotdeals.php?deal=10

Pay a little more and stay at the Cliff. You'll have fun!
Those prices included a stay at the Cliff :-)

If you call they have even better rates :-)

So, you think it'd be fun? We aren't expecting much, but the idea of skiing on June 1 seems pretty cool to us, even if its only for a few hours... just as long as we can handle it.
post #4 of 24
Yes, I think it could be very fun. How much fun will depend on the weather. Hook up with Bushwacker and perhaps he would show you the most appropriate terrain and proper timing.
post #5 of 24
You can do it. As long as Mineral Basin stays open, you can head skier's left and have fun. Stay slopeside so if you don't like the conditions, you can hang out until conditions warm up. Plenty of intermediate terrain still open.
post #6 of 24
Bump for an update?

I'm planning to take my daughter on a birthday trip to Snowbird for that weekend. Before I bite the bullet and buy the plane tix, though... who's skied there recently, and how is it holding up?
post #7 of 24
Considering the recent heat wave here, the snow is holding up quite well. It hit 90 in the valley yesterday and is snowing today.
Snowbird still has >100" base and more on the way. : It looks like the cooler weather is here for the next several days, at least.

Here is the latest forecast from NWS:

Area Forecast for:Wasatch Mountains South of I-80
Including: Alpine UT...Alta UT...Granite UT...Midway UT...Park City UT...Sandy UT

Rest Of Today: Breezy. Snow showers. Accumulation 3 to 5 inches. Highs at 8000 feet in the upper 40s. North winds 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 90 percent.

Tonight: Breezy. Snow showers likely in the evening...then snow after midnight. Colder. Accumulation 4 to 6 inches. Lows at 8000 feet in the upper 20s. North winds 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 80 percent.

Thursday: Windy...snow. Accumulation 2 to 4 inches. Highs at 8000 feet in the lower 40s. North winds 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow 90 percent.

Thursday Night: Snow likely in the evening...then a chance of snow after midnight. Cloudy. Accumulations possible. Lows at 8000 feet in the upper 20s. Chance of snow 60 percent.

Friday: A chance of snow in the morning...then thunderstorms and snow showers likely in the afternoon. Cloudy. Highs at 8000 feet in the upper 40s. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.

Friday Night: Cloudy with a 50 percent chance of snow showers. Lows at 8000 feet near 30.

Saturday: Thunderstorms and snow showers likely. Highs at 8000 feet near 50. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.

Saturday Night: Cloudy with a 50 percent chance of snow showers. Lows at 8000 feet near 30.

Sunday: Cloudy with a 40 percent chance of thunderstorms and snow showers. Highs at 8000 feet in the mid 50s.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy. Lows at 8000 feet in the mid 30s.

Memorial Day: Partly cloudy in the morning...then mostly cloudy with a chance of thunderstorms and snow showers in the afternoon. Highs at 8000 feet in the upper 50s. Chance of precipitation 30 percent.

Monday Night: Mostly cloudy in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Lows at 8000 feet in the mid 30s.

Tuesday: Partly cloudy. A chance of thunderstorms and snow showers in the afternoon. Highs at 8000 feet near 60. Chance of precipitation 30 percent
post #8 of 24
Cool. I'd really like to ski my Praxis in June. Just to say I did.
post #9 of 24
all I can say for the last weekend expect a good bases and corn snow everyday it refreezes which its looks like it will.

I cant answer your ski abilty thing at all with out skiing with you, IMO the spring corn cycles when we shut down for the week are some of the easiest skiing there is. Bring some midfat with a tons of structure in the bases and everything is skiable and soft.

If anyone to meet up I am allways willing to take a couple runs, if your a pretty good skier and want to stay with me the entire day thats cool as well.
post #10 of 24
Excellent. Now I just need to find the spring wax in my crates. Oh, and buy the tickets.
post #11 of 24


13 inches last 24h, and counting.. snowbird redefines the word ridiculous? :::
post #12 of 24
ywt another reason why everywhere else in the country kinda of suck to ski at...
post #13 of 24
more importantly this is what the shots look liek today...



my touring partners are all at school and **** mother ******s
post #14 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
all I can say for the last weekend expect a good bases and corn snow everyday it refreezes which its looks like it will.

I cant answer your ski abilty thing at all with out skiing with you, IMO the spring corn cycles when we shut down for the week are some of the easiest skiing there is. Bring some midfat with a tons of structure in the bases and everything is skiable and soft.

If anyone to meet up I am allways willing to take a couple runs, if your a pretty good skier and want to stay with me the entire day thats cool as well.
Thanks for the tips.

We decided to go for it... why the hell not. Most likely just ski Sat. May 31 though. Looking forward to it!
post #15 of 24
Do it. Bring a set of sharps for the am ice play.
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post
Do it. Bring a set of sharps for the am ice play.
ifs its sunny at all Mineral softens right as the lifts opens.

right now thats what it looks like sunny at 60ish degree everyday. Brave why just saturday? that is most likely the only day I wont ski next weekend
post #17 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
ifs its sunny at all Mineral softens right as the lifts opens.

right now thats what it looks like sunny at 60ish degree everyday. Brave why just saturday? that is most likely the only day I wont ski next weekend
It'll depend on how Saturday goes, but the girlfriend has an early afternoon flight out of SLC and we might decide to just do a nice hike Sunday morning or something.

If there is some sort of freak repeat of this weekend it could change things but it looks like it will be warm out.
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post
Do it. Bring a set of sharps for the am ice play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
ifs its sunny at all Mineral softens right as the lifts opens.
Aaah yes -- quiver decisions.

At this point, I'm definitely bringing a pair of Bros, but if I bring a second pair, I'm torn between 195 Praxis and 176 Fischer AMC 79s. Completely different spectra of performance, obviously. Thoughts?
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinedad View Post
Aaah yes -- quiver decisions.

At this point, I'm definitely bringing a pair of Bros, but if I bring a second pair, I'm torn between 195 Praxis and 176 Fischer AMC 79s. Completely different spectra of performance, obviously. Thoughts?
AMC imho for anything else, you probably wont use anything else but the bros to be honest.
post #20 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
AMC imho for anything else, you probably wont use anything else but the bros to be honest.

If you don't mind, could you offer some ski advise as well for the conditions (looks like it will be pretty warm saturday)

I'm planning on taking my Volkl AC40s (177) but open to renting/demoing if there is something that would provide a better experience in those conditions.

My girlfriend will be renting/demoing... any suggestions for a female ski (she's 5'3"/125lb)
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
AMC imho for anything else, you probably wont use anything else but the bros to be honest.
My Bros and my daughter's Celebrity Minis are now spring waxed, not scraped. I need to test the bindings on the Bros tonight, though -- looks like one of them loosened up somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brave ulysses View Post
I'm planning on taking my Volkl AC40s (177) but open to renting/demoing if there is something that would provide a better experience in those conditions.
Stiff with an 82mm-ish waist, right? I'd expect those to do a pretty good job in those kind of conditions. Fischer Watea 94s might be fun to demo too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brave ulysses View Post
My girlfriend will be renting/demoing... any suggestions for a female ski (she's 5'3"/125lb)
Dynastar Exclusive Legend Powders are awesome crudbusters. And never post your wife or girlfriend's weight in public.
post #22 of 24
So how are conditions holding up -- did the threatened rain arrive? The radar suggests that so far, it's staying Northwest of SLC, but....
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinedad View Post
So how are conditions holding up -- did the threatened rain arrive? The radar suggests that so far, it's staying Northwest of SLC, but....
the resort is shut I may go touring tomorrow, but rain wouldnt be a bad thing before you guys ski, we want it to be smootheed out and refrozen come friday morning with warming and sunshine happening during the day.

If I go out tomorrow I at least post about in this thread, but probably wont be any pictures.

Brave the Ac4 should be fine. PM me you cell phone number if you want to meet up.
post #24 of 24
I guess Bushwacker didn't make it out today. Oh well; hopefully we'll meet up in the morning.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Advise needed on late May Snowbird trip...