or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wow!

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
How many of you watched NBC's coverage of the downhill just now?

I thought the footage of the racers they showed was tremendous. I just wish they would show *all* the racers - I want to see how every one of these guys ski.

There's no doubt that TV gives you a much better feel of the overall run than watching from up on the hill. I timed it, and we could see each racer for about 14 seconds. But it was fantastic to see them from *right* next to the course.

Did you all see me? I was standing beside the TV camera on the last jump. Got to see the racers go over the Buffalo jump and down onto the final face. We didn't know the times as the racers were coming, but you could tell by the crowd noise who was contending. It was incredibly exciting.

I thought that superimposed footage of Strobl and Kjus skiing through the jump and following turn was fantastic. By the way, according to the Norwegian lady watching next to me, Kjus' name is pronounced awfully close to "schuss". How appropriate.

Additional note. I spent a little time checking out the racers' skis this morning as they were heading up to the start. If you can believe the setting windows, these guys' bindings had DIN settings of 16 to 18. That might explain how Eberharter's right ski could flex like it did and not come off!

Picabo finished a little lower in the pack in today's women's training run. The buzz around the course is that she dogged it on the last half dozen turns because she had already found her line and didn't necessarily want to post a hot time. We'll find out tomorrow. The workers and the crowd just go crazy when she's on course.

This is my last report. I have to go back to work tomorrow, so I won't be volunteering up on the hill anymore. At least I'll get a little sleep once I'm working again

Have fun watching the rest of the Games and root for Peek.

Bob
post #2 of 18
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>If you can believe the setting windows, these guys' bindings had DIN settings of 16 to 18.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you see the slo-mo of Eberhardt's skis? They looked like Gumby's skis. I think it was taken near where you were standing on the course. It's amazing the skis stay on at those pressures.

What a course! What a start! What a day for a downhill!

It must have been quite an experience to be standing so close to the action.
post #3 of 18
I thought the DH was mediocre. Watched it on BBC, don't know who they took the feed from. For the following reasons:

-Poor TV angles on the jumps, got very little idea of how far they were travelling.
-Course was very wide which removed a lot of the impression of speed.
-Comparing it to Kitzbuhel in the hype! Top speed was 125ish, isn't Kitz around 145?

Don't get me wrong, and taking nothing from the skiers - it was brutally difficult and technical.


:
post #4 of 18
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheRockSkier:
Poor TV angles on the jumps, got very little idea of how far they were travelling.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have to agree with you - and it was in 4:3 format! I guess this means they were getting a standard US feed. If you noticed when they switched to their own cameras (even for Graham's run with his handheld) they had it 16:9!


S
post #5 of 18
I really enjoyed the superimposed footage of the two skiers, as well as watching that ski flop around like a sapling in a storm.

One thing - did anyone else hear the announcer keep going on about the 75 degree steepness of the course? Where in the world did he come up with that number? Or do I just not understand how the degree is calculated?
post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 
Chronic:

That 75-degree thing keeps floating around. That pitch is actually 75 *percent*, not 75 *degrees*.

Some of the math folks will correct me, but percent grades are basically a calculation of how much vertical rise occurs in a given horizontal distance. If your slope goes up vertically one foot and over horizontally one foot, that is a 100 percent slope. That is also a 45-degree slope.

The commentators can't seem to understand that percents are different from degrees.

The pitch they're talking about actually works out to about 37 or so degrees. I can tell you from on-course experience that a slope pushing 40 degrees and set up in full World Cup Downhill mode (watered-injected, scraped smooth, frozen overnight, etc) is a scary place to be.

Bob
post #7 of 18
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob.Peters:
If your slope goes up vertically one foot and over horizontally one foot, that is a 100 percent slope. That is also a 45-degree slope.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I understand this now, but what does a slope of 60 degrees become in terms of percentage?
And why do we need %, can we not just use degrees?
If it is just to dumb it down for people, if they don't understand degrees, then changing it to percentage isn't going to help that much, you'd be better to call it:
1. Gentle
2. Steep
3. Very Steep
4. Damn Steep
5. Bring a change of underwear


S
post #8 of 18
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob.Peters:
By the way, according to the Norwegian lady watching next to me, Kjus' name is pronounced awfully close to "schuss". How appropriate.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Between my wife and I, we call him Lassie Juice. As in pureed puppy. "Hey Honey, Look! It's Lassie Juice!"
post #9 of 18
I really miss the OLN coverage. :
post #10 of 18
Man did my boy Daren unload those skii's a bit late or what on the first jump. He looked like a ski jumper. Can't imagine what was going through his head but I'm sure I would have to through my GS suit away after that run if I were him. My only thought was could the course have been tougher. The racers seems to take it in stride, there wasn't a turn where you would say that if you didn't hit just right you were in for it. Overall though it was a great race good coverage. Thank god there was not infomercial on the skiers on where they grew up etc.
post #11 of 18
The coverage was excellent in some aspects and poor in other ways. The dynamics of the ski flex in slow-mo was outstanding. But no speed read out and poorly angled shots of the jumps. I wish Herman could of raced.
post #12 of 18
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob.Peters:
Chronic:

That 75-degree thing keeps floating around. That pitch is actually 75 *percent*, not 75 *degrees*.

Some of the math folks will correct me, but percent grades are basically a calculation of how much vertical rise occurs in a given horizontal distance. If your slope goes up vertically one foot and over horizontally one foot, that is a 100 percent slope. That is also a 45-degree slope.

The commentators can't seem to understand that percents are different from degrees.

The pitch they're talking about actually works out to about 37 or so degrees. I can tell you from on-course experience that a slope pushing 40 degrees and set up in full World Cup Downhill mode (watered-injected, scraped smooth, frozen overnight, etc) is a scary place to be.

Bob
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I kept noticing it too. But PLEASE don't mention it to NBC or they'll take another half hour away from actually covering events to try to expain it to (aside from those that already know what they really mean) a public that doesn;t really care.

Gradient is more an engineering term than pure math. Basic formula is the tangent of the angle expressed as a percent. Thus 75% grade is about 37 degrees. For WTFH 60 degree slope is a 173% grade.
post #13 of 18
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by slider:
The coverage was excellent in some aspects and poor in other ways.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

By watching the NBC broadcast no one would know there were any French, Swiss or Italian skiers in the race. Unless my cynicism has blinded me I don't believe skiers from any of these countries were shown. NBC seemed to spend more time explaining what you are going to see (slo mo of ski and super imposed Eberharter and Strobl were great footage but...) than actually letting you see the event.
post #14 of 18
Yeah, but this is a pet peeve of mine
100% = the total. That's all. No more. To go beyond it is to redefine what is 100%!
So, I could live with 100% = 90 degrees, because due to gravity, anything beyond 90, and you'll not stick to the slope, but to say 45 is 100% doesn't make sense to me. Or am I just to logical?
It's back to the old Spinal Tap guitar volume thing - their guitars went to 11, while everyone else's went to 10.
(/Rant)

S
post #15 of 18
Ok, that makes sense - thanks for the explanation. That makes sense to me now. I skied the course last year (not racing of course!) and it was plenty steep. I can't even conceive of tucking down that ice sheet. Those racers are sick.
post #16 of 18
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wear the fox hat ?:
Yeah, but this is a pet peeve of mine
100% = the total. That's all. No more. To go beyond it is to redefine what is 100%!
So, I could live with 100% = 90 degrees, because due to gravity, anything beyond 90, and you'll not stick to the slope, but to say 45 is 100% doesn't make sense to me. Or am I just to logical?
It's back to the old Spinal Tap guitar volume thing - their guitars went to 11, while everyone else's went to 10.
(/Rant)

S
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not arguing with you, simply quoting the formula and it's application. It makes some sense applied to engineering applications (railroad grades go to 3%, road signs in the US show 5%, 6%, 15%, etc.) but meaningless to quote the steepness of a ski run. Simply adds confussion. Certainly confused the NBC announcers...
post #17 of 18
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob.Peters:
By the way, according to the Norwegian lady watching next to me, Kjus' name is pronounced awfully close to "schuss". How appropriate.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are correct Bob!! (tell him what he's won Don Pardo...)

The combination "Kj" in Norwegian is pronounced "Sh." The announcers kept screwing up the Norwegian snowboarder's name. It's spelled "Kjersti" but pronounced "Shersti" (Cher-st-e). They kept calling her Kersti.

What is with these ppl? Isn't announcing their job? What do they do when they have to report on a foreign dignitary - just guess?
post #18 of 18
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PowderJunkie:


By watching the NBC broadcast no one would know there were any French, Swiss or Italian skiers in the race. Unless my cynicism has blinded me I don't believe skiers from any of these countries were shown. NBC seemed to spend more time explaining what you are going to see (slo mo of ski and super imposed Eberharter and Strobl were great footage but...) than actually letting you see the event.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CBC has it all over NBC. They don't just favor their nation's athletes either. Granted the superimposed skier on NBC was cool but still I'd rather watch the race in real time and see all the participants.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion