New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An Oldie But a Goodie.....

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
This is from '04 or '05 or thereabouts...

Colin Puskas skiing "Pocket Rocket" in Delirium Dive. Sunshine Village, AB.

http://www.biglines.com/videos/puskas.mov
post #2 of 24
Loved that! Thanks Tyrone...
post #3 of 24
Yeah, I'll be doing that next season.
post #4 of 24
Damn...
post #5 of 24
the line is great.

does anyone else notice how the style of riding those skis has changed? 8 years. pocket rockets. That skiing is waaaaaayyyy different than how that line woudl be skied today.

just sayin'...

I dig the line, but I really spotted the old-school technique. Holy-hopster.
post #6 of 24
Yeah, I was gonna say. Totally passe', embarassing technique.
post #7 of 24
I don't know if it's embarrassing. I likely would have struggled on the same gear, I just notice how much easier or cleaner it would have been on modern gear. that's interesting to me.

At that time I was on G41s and Explosives, which are not nearly as smooth in tight spaces as modern skis. I have also skied PRs and know how they perform. that's all.
post #8 of 24
There's NOTHING embarrassing about skiing that and pulling it off regardless of the technique. What would be embarrassing would be to make it to the run out and eat it on the second to last turn. Though that would also be understandable because that looked pretty physically challanging and I bet he was a bit tired at the end.
post #9 of 24
Dumb question from a gaper: So what would be an appropriate ski today? And how would the technique differ? I only get to see this stuff on video.
post #10 of 24
the sidecut would have been different, as would the camber.

the technique would be much surfier and the the skier likely wouldn't have left the ground between turns. Not because of skill, but because of tools.

PRs are really soft with a super turny radius, resulting in the skier punching through the surface and having to upweight himself to get out of the snow.

I was just impressed about how much technique has changed in just 8 years as a result of skis being so much surfier. I'm not suggesting anything else. Nor did I mean to hijack the thread.
post #11 of 24
I was just kidding. There's not a chance in the world that I could ski that.
post #12 of 24
I'm kind of confused by Samurai's comments, all I saw was someone being cautious due to extreme pitch, unpredictable sluff, and big drops, but of course that line is far beyond my stone's capacity.
post #13 of 24

?

Who said he was skiing on Pocket Rockets (Salomon Skis)?

Mr. Shoelaces said the location was Pocket Rocket, (a section of Delirum Drive at Sunshine Village), unless I'm mistaken.
post #14 of 24
Holy crap!
Got more................:
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotama View Post
Who said he was skiing on Pocket Rockets (Salomon Skis)?

Mr. Shoelaces said the location was Pocket Rocket, (a section of Delirum Drive at Sunshine Village), unless I'm mistaken.
Good to see someone is paying attention in Mr Shoelaces' class, you get a gold star.
post #16 of 24
That was insanely skilled skiing by my standards.
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotama View Post
Who said he was skiing on Pocket Rockets (Salomon Skis)?

Mr. Shoelaces said the location was Pocket Rocket, (a section of Delirum Drive at Sunshine Village), unless I'm mistaken.
Yeah, that's what I thought too..... and the vid is only 3-4 years old unless I forgot what year it currently is.
post #18 of 24
oh...
post #19 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpfreaq View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought too..... and the vid is only 3-4 years old unless I forgot what year it currently is.
Correct.

This line in Delirium Dive is named "Pocket Rocket", and has nothing to do with whatever skis he is on. The skier in the video is Colin Puskas, who is a Dynastar team rider (or at least was at the time), and indeed was shot in 2004 (I think....maybe '02 or '03, but I'm really thinking '04 at the latest). I'd put good money that he was on some sort of Dynastar ski from that era.

But I would agree to an extent, that his style might be different (and for clarity I just mean "different", and not better or worse) were he on a pair of reverse camber, reverse sidecut type skis.

But that kind of technique discussion wasn't what I intended when posting this vid.....I posted it because it's an aesthetic, commiting, beautiful line. In my eyes that's all I see (I didn't even notice his technique really)...because that's what skiing is all about for me.
post #20 of 24
Sorry about that. I was just trying to note a distinctive style. Somehow, it got misunderstood. (likely because of my PR comments. Nonetheless, I still stand behind my hoppy observations.)

In your eyes, you only see the line (as you said). In mine, I usually concentrate on how they skied it. The line is the prerequisite. When I see McConkey surf a face sideways, I get irritated that he didn't link a turn in there. It's just not my style... and that's all I look at- how I would have skied it.

So, when I watched the link above, I just kept imaging how it would have been different with other skis on his feet. Not better, or worse, just different. It's like McConkey and Davenport on the same line- it would be skied via two completely different approaches-- both of which would have ripped.

sorry about the hijack. State an opinion, get told you're wrong... then someone else chimes in. That's just the way it is.
post #21 of 24
Since I'll never ski anything like this, obviously time to post. I've watched this about six times, and he only looks "hopy" at the top, where IMO, the "hops" are not about the skis he's on or some aesthetic choice, but are excellent technique for handling a crazy steep narrowing/twisting chute that's full of very dicey snow. Later, don't see much up-unweighting. All of which makes sense because a skier at this level can pretty much do anything he wants with a ski, and the skis aren't that ancient.

Have to come down on TS's side here; this is all about beautiful choices of line that flow with the mountain. Techniques are the means to those lines, not the ends.
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post
Since I'll never ski anything like this, obviously time to post.
Well, since you put it that way and I have no experience on skis made after 2004... and know nothing about skiing reverse camber reverse side cut.....
When I watched it again after reading the old school vs new surfing techique comments my ignorance tells me that to comletely ride the ski instead of hop turning or using a LOT of up down down to navigate that narrow chute, wouldn't that require a sidecut radius of something like TWO?:

I think I just proved my complete ignorance..
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by volantaddict View Post
I'm kind of confused by Samurai's comments, all I saw was someone being cautious due to extreme pitch, unpredictable sluff, and big drops, but of course that line is far beyond my stone's capacity.
Thats pretty much what I saw. And his being cautious is a lot more aggressive than most people at their fastest.


Thanks for sharing Tyrone. So impressive how several times I thought he was past the crux of the line, just to have the camera pan down to reveal more and more exposure. It just seemed to keep going and going.
post #24 of 24
So were the skis named for that line?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion