EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Ski Recomendation: Dynastar Legend Mythic Riders vs...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ski Recomendation: Dynastar Legend Mythic Riders vs...

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I am a 6'1" 198 lb. 19 year old
who skis Homewood and Alpine in Tahoe and sometimes other resorts in Utah and Idaho. I ski the park, groomers, bowls and trees. I am a type III skier who loves/can handle high speeds on groomers and is in control on off piste steeps.
I have tried the AC 40 @ 177 and enjoyed it yet I feel it was too stiff especially when airing anything. In my youth it actually hurt to land sometimes, and I felt that this ski was maybe too stiff of a ski for me.
In contrast I have also demoed the 177 Mantra's for a few days of powder and enjoyed them. Except for the fact that they were a too soft when I wanted to carve down the front-side of the mountain.


I have been reading lots of conversations and it sounds like the 178 Dynastar Legen Mythic Rider is the right ski for me? ?
post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by discus View Post
I am a 6'1" 198 lb. 19 year old
who skis Homewood and Alpine in Tahoe and sometimes other resorts in Utah and Idaho. I ski the park, groomers, bowls and trees. I am a type III skier who loves/can handle high speeds on groomers and is in control on off piste steeps.
I have tried the AC 40 @ 177 and enjoyed it yet I feel it was too stiff especially when airing anything. In my youth it actually hurt to land sometimes, and I felt that this ski was maybe too stiff of a ski for me.
In contrast I have also demoed the 177 Mantra's for a few days of powder and enjoyed them. Except for the fact that they were a too soft when I wanted to carve down the front-side of the mountain.


I have been reading lots of conversations and it sounds like the 178 Dynastar Legen Mythic Rider is the right ski for me? ?
before i decided to keep my mantras in my, at the time, 2-ski quiver and just add a third ski, i was considering replacing it with the legend mythic riders. sierrajim championed that ski, while dawgcatching turned me on to a VERY viable alternative, the elan 888. and finally, after a conversation with bushwhackerinpa, i also began to consider the head im88.

thank jebus the end-of-season deals came along to bail me out of THAT tough decision, and i just snagged a pair of k2 pe's to supplement my mantras and xxl's.
post #3 of 18
Discus,
Although the Mythic is a great ski and is personally on of my favorites.....why not a twin??? You say something you enjoy doing is the park and it sounds like you freeride a little bit. Now although both the Mythic and the AC40 are great skis they are certainly not park skis. There are a ton of great skis out there that are twin and could/are skied on every day in Tahoe. If I were you I would check out the Dynastar Big Trouble, the Volkl Bridge and if you dont mind waiting the Atomic Snoop Daddy next season is an awesome choice as well. there are a ton of great twins out there and are often overlooked and although not a great choice in every situation I would say you fit into this category quite well.
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by discus View Post
I am a 6'1" 198 lb. 19 year old...
In my youth it actually hurt to land sometimes...
But now that you're an old guy, you want something to ease into middle age with?

Anyway, yes, the 178 MR would probably work well, although don't expect it to slay hardpack. If that's important to you, and given that you thought the AC40 was too stiff, I'd recommend a Blizzard Cronus or Fischer Watea 94. Each are as grippy as the Volkl but lighter and a bit more flexible, each will be more enjoyable in powder and bumps/tight places.

Not so sure about the iM88 or 888, mainly because both are beefier than the AC's, which you say you don't want.
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra_canuck View Post
Discus,
Although the Mythic is a great ski and is personally on of my favorites.....why not a twin??? You say something you enjoy doing is the park and it sounds like you freeride a little bit. Now although both the Mythic and the AC40 are great skis they are certainly not park skis. There are a ton of great skis out there that are twin and could/are skied on every day in Tahoe. If I were you I would check out the Dynastar Big Trouble, the Volkl Bridge and if you dont mind waiting the Atomic Snoop Daddy next season is an awesome choice as well. there are a ton of great twins out there and are often overlooked and although not a great choice in every situation I would say you fit into this category quite well.
this isn't bad advice. in fact, since i like the mantra for groomers (some other people don't... but when i'm on groomers, i like lazy, gs-style turns, so i think the edge-hold is GREAT... but maybe people who bang out short turns disagree) and i use the xxl's whenever it's soft, i wanted my third ski to be narrower for good on piste and bump performance, with park-ability as an added bonus.

both of the skis that sierra_canuck recommended would be worth checking out. i would add the k2 public enemy, and i've also been recommended the head mojo 90.
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post
given that you thought the AC40 was too stiff... Not so sure about the iM88 or 888, mainly because both are beefier than the AC's, which you say you don't want.
good point... i forgot that the ac40 was stiffer than he liked. BUT, he is not a small fella, and the ac40 is generally considered one of the most groomer oriented skis in its waist range. the others are all still far more freeride oriented and that might make the difference for him without beating him up

edit: the more i think about it, if he liked the mantra in 177 but wanted more grunt for groomers (i own the 191 mantra, and i'm pretty sure that it is a lot more ski, and i also don't like slalom turns, so whenever people talk about the mantra being bad on groomers, i just have no idea what they are talking about...), then i am POSITIVE that any young, 200# guy should be perfectly fine working the ever loving crap out of the MR, 888, or im88. if you aren't quite at the level where you can do that yet, it won't take long at all. these are not steel i-beams, and the OP is not a dainty skier
post #7 of 18
Go 888
post #8 of 18
fwiw - I ski Tahoe, was an Alpine passholder two years ago. Will be going back to Squaw midweek next year and just bought the Mythics in a 178. Havent skied them yet but heard from some reliable sources I trust how good the ski is, and given the reviews, it is something well suited for tahoe off-piste yet groomer capable.

Also, someone mentioned K2 Public Enemy twins. I have a pair of 179's that have been skied only one day, seriously, one powder day at Kirkwood, mounted with Rossi Axial 12 ti's for a 325/28.5 boot if youre interested. I live in the Auburn area. Im selling because I have too many skis and overlap - Atomics Mex's, K2 PE's, Goats and now Mythics. I loved the PE's on that one day of powder, but I dont do switch and dont think that they will get used much with the Mythics in the quiver.

Apologies if offering the sale of the PE's seems self serving. I only did this as I agree with the other posters that a twin may be worth considering and because we are somewhat local to each other.
post #9 of 18
Wait for it... Wait for it... Waaaaaaaiitt... Head Mojo 90! Another comparable midfat in the same range, for sure. The Mythic being the precision instrument more or less and the Mojo being the nimble jackrabbit. The Mojo is less stiff than the AC40 but definitely stiffer than the Mantra and will give you nothing but big, fat smiles when airing anything! If piste is more your game, get the Mythic. If the trees are your playground, get the Mojo. I swear to God I must sound like a broke record... I think this is my billionth post for Mojos... GOOD LUCK!
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by discus View Post
I am a 6'1" 198 lb. 19 year old
who skis Homewood and Alpine in Tahoe and sometimes other resorts in Utah and Idaho. I ski the park, groomers, bowls and trees. I am a type III skier who loves/can handle high speeds on groomers and is in control on off piste steeps.
I have tried the AC 40 @ 177 and enjoyed it yet I feel it was too stiff especially when airing anything. In my youth it actually hurt to land sometimes, and I felt that this ski was maybe too stiff of a ski for me.
In contrast I have also demoed the 177 Mantra's for a few days of powder and enjoyed them. Except for the fact that they were a too soft when I wanted to carve down the front-side of the mountain.


I have been reading lots of conversations and it sounds like the 178 Dynastar Legen Mythic Rider is the right ski for me? ?

I own the Mythic and love it for Tahoe skiing. I am sure there are plenty of good alternatives to is as well. When I tested the Mantra I absolutely hated them, but now I think thta they were mounted too forward for me. My feeling wa that I was skiing on a way too short and squirrely ski that needed to be skied on the tip all the time. MRs were a lot more neutral. SJ says and I concur that MR is probably the best crud buster out there in that width. MRs would not slay the groomed, but are suprisingly confident (very confident indeed) on the hardpack. Great ski, but as everyone said your mileage may vary.

Alex
post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
Hey everyone thanks for all the great advice and seasoned insight

I plan to look for these skis at demo sales this summer and am very excited because I now have a lot of ideas

One more question: because tahoe gets a lot of snow each year, of all the skis: MR, 888, Big Trouble, Mojo and Fischer Watea 94 and Snoop Daddy, which one can crud bust best and why?
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by discus View Post
Hey everyone thanks for all the great advice and seasoned insight

I plan to look for these skis at demo sales this summer and am very excited because I now have a lot of ideas

One more question: because tahoe gets a lot of snow each year, of all the skis: MR, 888, Big Trouble, Mojo and Fischer Watea 94 and Snoop Daddy, which one can crud bust best and why?
this is mostly speculation and hear-say, but i would say either the:

1) MR if you want a damp, heavy feel (i know this doesn't sound appealing in words, but if you've felt it, you may actually like it... this feeling is my personal preference)

2) 888 if you want a lively, light feel

crud-busting mostly depends on the stiffness and stability of the ski (read: layers of metal and larger radius sidecut)
post #13 of 18
Do not discount the iM series - either 82 or 88.

The 88 in 175 cm is way softer and more versatile than the AC40. I have heard great things about the 82 as well (not skied it) and it is considered a little more versatile again as it is quicker edge to edge and more tractable in bumps.

I skied the 88 in an all day private in mutiple conditions in Whistler and it was very good at everything. A very good ski overall.
post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
I am a bit turned away from the iM 88 because of its 175 length, I am looking more for a ski with 177-179 length

still u might know better than me
is this difference truly noticeable??
post #15 of 18
Wouldn't get hung up on a couple of cm. The iM88 only comes in three lengths, the middle (175) handles the same size skiers as competitors' 177-180. iHeads ski long, in other words. Wouldn't recommend the 183 if you think the 177 AC40 was too stiff. OTOH, don't agree even the 175 is significantly softer than the 177 AC40. I found the AC easier to bend. iHeads just have a very different feel - damper, more planted at silly high speeds - than AC Volkls, which for me can translate as softer when it's really not. And IMO, Heads are more versatile over the whole mountain, while AC's really excel carving the frontside. Just my .02...
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post
Wouldn't get hung up on a couple of cm.
seriously, you will never notice... ever
post #17 of 18
Thread Starter 
ok sounds good i have a feeling that was the case

and the iM 88 is a hell of a ski
i am going to give it some serious thought
post #18 of 18
Have skied the old AC4 in both 177cm and 184cm and the Mythic Rider
in 184cm. They felt very similar skis although the AC4 with 82mm under
foot as opposed to 88mm for the Mythic Rider was slightly more easy going on hard icy conditions. As for length I liked the 184cm best for
big mountain sking with good snow cover but anyone happy with a 177cm
would not find the 184 too much more to handle.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Ski Recomendation: Dynastar Legend Mythic Riders vs...