I had a fairly drastic quiver change this year...
at the end of last season, i suffered my fifth (third skiing-related) and, by-far, worst concussion. apparently, i over-rotated a 360 in mammoth main park (for those that don't know... mammoth main park builds just about the biggest jumps available to the general public...). i'm TOLD that that's what happened because there is a 2 hour blank spot between getting off the chair lift and waking up in the hospital. aaanyways, between the 01/02-06/07 seasons, i had only used park-oriented twin-tips, because i spent 50% of my time in the park and 50% of my time actually skiing.
SO, the quiver at the start of the season:
-07 volkl karma (185)
-05 k2 public enemy (179)
-04 k2 seth pistol (179)
-02 salomon 1080 (169)
THEN, after a trip to fernie and mammoth right at the start of this season, i had ALL of my skis (plus my gf's brand new skis) stolen from my apartment complex. long story short, i obsessed over it for two weeks before seeing a pair of skis that i was SURE were my gf's being sold on ebay by a local seller. i called the police, and they told me there was not much they could really do, so i stacked up a bunch of "evidence," won the auction, got the seller to agree to a local pick-up, and then CONVINCED him that he was caught (even though he really could've gotten away with it VERY easily by just denying it... thanks justice system), and that he needed to give me back all my skis or i was going to call the police. he denied that he stole them, but freaked out and gave me them all back anyways...
SO, in the MEANTIME, while i was freaking out about my skis being stolen, and still wanting to continue my season, i went and bought new skis. THEN, when i actually got my skis back, and knowing that my park days were mostly over (i start dental school next year, and dammit all that the two things that i injure when i ski park are my hands and my brain...), i decided that it was time for a quiver overhall.
i sold the karmas, retired the public enemies and seth pistols to beater status, and re-mounted the 1080's for my sister. then i took a trip to salt lake city over spring break and i went nuts demoing at snowbird and alta.
the end result:
- 08 volkl mantras (191)- wish i went shorter since they overlap with my xxl's too much now (but i bought the mantras first, right after my **** got stolen), but they are great for any day when it's too firm for the xxl's
- 08 dynastar legend xxl's (194)- on paper, this ski just does NOT make sense for me... but i LOVE it, and it is so INSANELY versatile and maneuverable that i just can't explain it
- 08 line sir francis bacons (182)- bought this ski to have a fun, jibby ski for when i ride with snowboarders... but they LOVE to go fast, so they are not THAT playful. and once they get GOING fast... they get NERVOUS! these would be GREAT if i still did park (i loved the slow rotation from a heavy park ski)... but i don't, so these are going
- another player to be named soon... looking for something narrower and maybe still park-capable (for when i get "the itch")
so for the first time in 7 seasons, i'm back on "real" skis. feels pretty good, actually. when i was laying in my hospital bed, realizing that my park days were over, i thought that i was going to be really depressed... and i WAS for a while (nothing gives you insta-cred like throwing a backflip). but then i realized that there were some really kick-ass mountains out there that had INSANE terrain to shred (until this year, i had skied basically only mammoth and local southern california resorts... though they ARE lame, they DO build just about the best parks). so, in conclusion, i think i'm gonna be alright...
oh, and the resorts i rode this year:
- snow summit (local resort... avoided bear mountain and mountain high because i knew their parks would be too much to resist)
- mount baldy (local resort)
- mammoth mountain (THREE seperate trips)
- park city (TWO seperate trips)
- snowbird (new favorite!)
and the skis that i demoed (in addition to the xxl's that i loved so much that i HAD to buy them):
- 08 dynastar legend pro (186)- i get THE legend now... but they overlap with my mantras COMPLETELY and i loved the xxl's more... so that's what i bought
- 09 dynastar legend pro (184)- softening it has ruined its cult-status... but more people will like it now
- 09 atomic thug (192)- just SO good... it's stable at speed and through rough chop/crud, it is maneuverable in tight spaces and bumps, and it holds a nice edge as long as it's remotely soft. another ski that i would LOVE to have if i didn't already have the xxl's for soft snow
- 08 bro soft (188)- the stiff had gone missing during the week, so i settled for the soft. it's light, snappy, stable... but just not my cup of tea (and i don't think that the stiffs would help, since i like my stiff skis to also FEEL heavy... i know, i know... i'm crazy). but "splat" is a SUPER cool guy, and i get why so many OTHER people like these skis
- 08 bro rocker (???)- first time on reverse camber ski, and it was pretty cool. took them out on COMPLETELY the wrong day, so i didn't get to use them in their element... but i think that there just might be something to this trend (as QUIVER skis, of course)