New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which luv to choose?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I don't know if the One, Lotta, or Burning Luv's are the best ski for me. I am going to be skiing in Vermont. I would consider myself an indermediate/advanced skiier. I want a ski that I can take in the trees and on the groomers. I also need something that can handle the ice.

Any suggestions?
post #2 of 12
My wife has the One Luv and demoed both the Buring and Lotta Luvs. One Luv and Buring have same side cut with Burning being stiffer ski. Lotta Luv is 10 mm or so wider underfoot, more of an off-piste ski vs frontside/on piste ski. With lack of powder days in Vt I would think you want the skinnier ski (68mm I think). Than the question is do you like a stiff ski or not? What do you ski now?
post #3 of 12
Oh, and welcome to EPIC. I see that is your first post.

Best to demo skis on same day and same trails to tell difference between them, imo.
post #4 of 12
Wow, there are some awesome skis out there to try. Like Bumpdad says, the best idea is to demo like crazy.
Many like the one luv. I, however preferred the Burnin luv, which is the difference between laminate and torsion box construction.

I would recommend that you give the Volkl Tiarra a try, as well. You would benefit from the grip of the volkl, with some other great properties thrown in.
post #5 of 12
How fast do you like to ski? How important is "forgiveness" - that is, the manuverability of the ski despite breaks in technique. One Luv will be more forgiving than Burning, and you will be able to get more out of the ski at lower speeds. The flip side is that the One Luv will be somewhat less stable at higher speeds. Lotta luv is wider underfoot, so will perform better in softer snow conditions, with a slight sacrifice in carving ability.

I have the Burning Luv in the 160 length. It's great for skiing fast on groomers, and performs reasonably well in a variety of conditions. I think it's probably a great ski for Northeastern snow. It's not so fun in deep powder and cut-up powder, but then that's not its intended use.
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrophobia View Post
How fast do you like to ski? How important is "forgiveness" - that is, the manuverability of the ski despite breaks in technique. One Luv will be more forgiving than Burning, and you will be able to get more out of the ski at lower speeds. The flip side is that the One Luv will be somewhat less stable at higher speeds. Lotta luv is wider underfoot, so will perform better in softer snow conditions, with a slight sacrifice in carving ability.

I have the Burning Luv in the 160 length. It's great for skiing fast on groomers, and performs reasonably well in a variety of conditions. I think it's probably a great ski for Northeastern snow. It's not so fun in deep powder and cut-up powder, but then that's not its intended use.
I like to ski fast. In fact, I prefer a ski with somewhat forgiving properties, but not at the risk of losing performance.
If you have the BL, then I'd go for something a bit wider to compliment it.
The downfall to the forgivness of the One luv is that you lose some crud busting ability and power in the spring conditions and marbles.

I've skied several K2's and have a good feeling for them, but I've also been on some other skis that are really blowing the Luv line away.
Volkl, Nordica and Blizzard come to mind in that regard.
For Trees and playing around, my fav ski is my Blizzard Eos, 88 under foot.
post #7 of 12
...My plan is to get some Line Pandoras just as soon as I can get my grubby little hands on them. Super fun ski. I want to try the Volkl Auras, but can't find them anywhere. How stiff are the Blizzards? I don't ski as fast off-piste, so I like the flex to be a little softer.
post #8 of 12
sperls2, I think you'd like the Burnin Luv best. Get 'em short.
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdad View Post
Lotta Luv is 10 mm or so wider underfoot, more of an off-piste ski vs frontside/on piste ski. With lack of powder days in Vt I would think you want the skinnier ski (68mm I think). Than the question is do you like a stiff ski or not? What do you ski now?
First of all, there is powder in VT. Second, a 78mm ski isn't a powder ski. I vote Lotta.
post #10 of 12
A bit testy there, do I sense a bit of powder envy?

Did I say that the lotta luv was a powder ski? Or that with a lack of powder the skinnier ski maybe a better choice? I don't consider 78 mm very wide, but do think that the Lotta is more or a crud buster then a carver.

to recap the rec's

Volkl Tiara
Burnin' Luv x2
Blizzard Eos
Lotta Luv
and of course Demo, Demo, Demo

and by implication: move to the powder and get a real fat ski
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
First of all, there is powder in VT.

Used to ski Vt all the time. mainly MRG and Sugarbush, but Stowe as well. My wifes old ski club had a lodge on rte 100 in Lower Granville. I remember great sandwiches from a little country store just north of the lodge and those covered bridges so common in NE. Do miss that stuff. And I do remember powder days as well, just not as common as out here.

Anyway, now back to your regularly scheduled thread.
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrophobia View Post
...My plan is to get some Line Pandoras just as soon as I can get my grubby little hands on them. Super fun ski. I want to try the Volkl Auras, but can't find them anywhere. How stiff are the Blizzards? I don't ski as fast off-piste, so I like the flex to be a little softer.
The eos is a semi twin, and its semi soft. Mid fat, 88 waist, Not too soft.
My husband skis on its counterpart the Titan Cronus, but one day he skied on my eos just for kicks, and he actually liked it.

Here is my review of the Eos
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=63855
It would be a very nice compliment to the BL that you already have, and a step in the direction of a three ski quiver when you add something a little fatter.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion