EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Google Earth: Ski Resort, Gondola, Ski Lift Feature
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google Earth: Ski Resort, Gondola, Ski Lift Feature

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I just noticed that under "Layers" in Google Earth, you can select Ski Resorts, Gondola's and Ski Lifts. However, I can't seem to find any when panning to different resorts.

Has anyone else seen this yet?
post #2 of 12
Thread Starter 
145 views and not a single reply...

I thought Powdr or some other Google Earth nerd (like me) in the "Steepest in the East" thread would chime in.
post #3 of 12
The google satellite shots of my neighborhood haven't been updated for over 6 months. I see the same truck parked at the same intersection down the block every time I look at my house. That truck was a utility work truck that definately isn't really there and hasn't been in nearly a year. I downloaded Google Earth and zoomed it in and Viola, the same Verizon work truck parked on the corner

Me thinks it is a big hoax:
post #4 of 12
I just tried Taos and did not get any lifts or resorts. Maybe need to check other options too. I'll try somewhere else and let you know.
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
The google satellite shots of my neighborhood haven't been updated for over 6 months. I see the same truck parked at the same intersection down the block every time I look at my house. That truck was a utility work truck that definately isn't really there and hasn't been in nearly a year. I downloaded Google Earth and zoomed it in and Viola, the same Verizon work truck parked on the corner

Me thinks it is a big hoax:
What do you mean, hoax? Some of the (static) satellite imagery is years old, so 6 months is nothing! If you expect to see yourself waving in real time, you'll be disappointed
post #6 of 12
I think Google will eventually hit the ski market.
Remember how weather.com had those links to that site that has 3D views of famous resorts?

I don't think it should be too much work to collaboratively create layers like that for most resorts.

What we need though, is better imagery to begin with (since Google only gets high-res of city centers), and preferably ones captured in winter. My home hill is in a perpetual summer.

Google employees get to follow personal projects, maybe if there's a bear who works in the valley can do that for Mammoth as a start.
post #7 of 12
I found that Zermatt has the lifts labeled...
post #8 of 12
.. and turning the layer on and off toggles the labels, confirming that they are in fact an instance of this feature.

This is an interesting existance proof -- before, I would have thought that the layers were a big "kitchen sink" brainstorming exercise, only a few of which had actually been implemented.

So I guess the question is who is responsible for filling in the info.


Edit - On another front, searching finds GEOSAP -- the Googe Earth Open Ski Area Project, dedicated to createing google-earth based trail maps! This addresses my pet peeve -- artist's conception trail maps that don't tell you what you need to know.
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
What do you mean, hoax? Some of the (static) satellite imagery is years old, so 6 months is nothing! If you expect to see yourself waving in real time, you'll be disappointed
Remember when all those people were trying to use Google to fnd Fossett's plane?
post #10 of 12
Did they ever find him? I never heard anything....
post #11 of 12
Nope-he was legally declared dead a couple of months ago so his family could close his affairs.
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
Remember when all those people were trying to use Google to fnd Fossett's plane?
In their defense, the people using satellite imagery to find Fossett's plane were looking at images that had specifically been updated after the crash, and were tagging likely frames to be reviewed by experts. It was an organized effort. Several previously unexplained disappearances/crashes were solved as a result of the search, even though they never found Fossett.

-Adam
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Google Earth: Ski Resort, Gondola, Ski Lift Feature