EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Backcountry, Telemark, and Cross Country › Fritschi Titanal II Bindings Boot Size
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fritschi Titanal II Bindings Boot Size

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I've never had touring skis.
I'm looking at some back country skis with Fritschi Titanal II bindings. The ad says for bood sizes 330 to 360. Do touring bindings actually come in different sizes? Or, can they be adjusted by either moving the toe and or heel on the track or re-drilling the ski like typical alpine bindings.
post #2 of 16
The heel piece slides along some rails and locks down anywhere between 330 and 360mm. They generally offer 2-3 sizes, each covering a different range of boot sole lengths. That 330-360mm range sounds like the large size to me.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
The heel piece slides along some rails and locks down anywhere between 330 and 360mm. They generally offer 2-3 sizes, each covering a different range of boot sole lengths. That 330-360mm range sounds like the large size to me.
Thanks 219. They won't fit my mondo 26 boots so I'll pass on the deal. Not a bad deal though, someone can probably get these in a piar of 190 cm Shuksans with skins and a ski bag for under $75.00 shipped if they bid well.:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching
post #4 of 16
If there's sizing overlap, always go with the SMALLER one!
post #5 of 16
If you can find someone who owns those bindings or is familiar with them, maybe they can tell you if they can be adapted easily to a smaller boot. On a lot of the AT bindings, you can shorten the rails and them move the heel mount forward on the ski. It would be a matter of cutting the rails or maybe even buying the next size down. I shortened a pair of Naxos that way.
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
If you can find someone who owns those bindings or is familiar with them, maybe they can tell you if they can be adapted easily to a smaller boot. On a lot of the AT bindings, you can shorten the rails and them move the heel mount forward on the ski. It would be a matter of cutting the rails or maybe even buying the next size down. I shortened a pair of Naxos that way.
Fritschis can NOT be cut down/shortened. You must buy the right size.
post #7 of 16
I had some Titanal IIs and skied them for about 10 years. They were good in their day, but the new Freerides are a much more solid connection to the ski. If you are just touring it shouldn't make much difference.

You can no longer get replacement parts for the IIs, and parts are not interchangable with the newer models. I think they came in small, large and extra large, with some size overlap.

Mine ended up cracking in the toe piece, but it was not readily visible, and my boot still went into the binding. Be sure and check the inside of the toe piece right where the boot toe would hit the back of it and look for a vertical crack. If they cracked like mine it is possible the seller does not even know it, because the bindings still worked.
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfoot View Post
You can no longer get replacement parts for the IIs, and parts are not interchangable with the newer models.
The DII and DIII are interchangeable -- I even performed Diamir transplant surgery for a friend, combining the good parts from his broken DIII with some DII parts in my spare parts bin. (I don't know about DII/III compatibility with later versions though.)
BD also still carries some DII/III parts:
http://www.bdel.com/gear/spare_parts_snow.php
I have some extra DII toe jaws if anyone wants to buy some as backup parts.
post #9 of 16
On futher inspection it appears I had the second generation Titanal I. The original version had some breakage problems that they fixed, but the name wasn't change. You can no longer get parts for the Is. The IIs do have some interchangeable parts with the IIIs. Sorry for the misinformation. Thanks for straightening things out Jon.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
Fritschis can NOT be cut down/shortened. You must buy the right size.
Actually they can. It is so frickin' difficult though you might as well just go buy the right size.
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfydog View Post
Actually they can. It is so frickin' difficult though you might as well just go buy the right size.
Have you done this? Enlighten me if you will. Pictures? I gotta see this!
post #12 of 16
I think Lou Dawson may have tried it.... look over at wildsnow.
post #13 of 16
I recall that Lou's website had instructions for shortening the Pure, not Diamir?
Anyway, a friend had a skilled machinist do this to a pair. Just look at the long cutout on the bottom side of the bar toward the length -- lengthen that slot via milling (or I suppose via a serious of carefully drilled holes to mimic milling) and the heel piece can now travel further, hence allowing the binding to accomodate shorter sizes.
But the modification is limited in its extent b/c of the additional hole on the bottom of the bar that has to stay separate from the slot.
post #14 of 16
"Shortening" a Diamir/Fritschi is IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!
post #15 of 16
I've seen my friend's shortened binding, and I've seen him use it.
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Shefftz View Post
I've seen my friend's shortened binding, and I've seen him use it.
A picture would be great. I gotta see this!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Backcountry, Telemark, and Cross Country › Fritschi Titanal II Bindings Boot Size