- 935 Posts. Joined 1/2007
- Location: Morrison, CO
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAlpine Ski Bootstagged by System, 2/1/11
- categorySki Geartagged by System, 11/10/11
- topicSkiing Historytagged by System, 4/12/09
- categoryTelemark Ski Bootstagged by System, 2/1/11
- categoryWax Waxing Toolstagged by System, 9/14/09
- itemWinter Equinox - Reliving the 1974 Freestyle Skiing Pro Tourtagged by System, 10/30/11
Related Forum Threads
- Which DIY Liner Heat Molding Technique is Best? Last post on 11/26/14 at 1:10pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Binding adjustment to suit new boot length Last post on 11/9/11 at 4:45am in Ski Gear Discussion
- Ski purchasing advice Last post on 11/28/11 at 6:11pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- What is or was your all time favorite ski boot? Last post on 2/18/16 at 2:17pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Knee Bindings, 2011-2012, User Reviews Last post on 10/6/12 at 10:01am in Member Gear Reviews
Last edited: 4/27/11
- Boot Fitting Terms And GlossaryLast edited: 5/14/14
- EpicSki Interview with James NiehuesLast edited: 9/14/16
- 2016 Lange Buyers GuideLast edited: 8/4/16
- Salomon Ski BootsLast edited: 8/4/16
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
More Retro memories???? - Page 227post #6781 of 79182/27/15 at 11:01amEverybody dressed better back then.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6782 of 79182/27/15 at 6:44pmI've got some 203cm Rossignol 3G Equipe's kicking around from my past, bindings long removed. Is it worth rebinding them with something modern for fun? Have not skiied them for 30 years. Current skis are a 152 MX78 and a 155 RC4, so it would be quite a change.post #6783 of 79182/27/15 at 7:27pmpost #6784 of 79182/28/15 at 5:57pm
Here are some Dynastar GTS skis from '72 to go along with the MV5's posted earlier. these will be my first dynastars from the 70's I'll swap the toes for some black M4's. I love orange skis!
royalpost #6785 of 79182/28/15 at 6:07pm
And the guy on the right has the Hart Competition they developed with Billy Kidd. I skied both skis at the Red Lodge camp the summer of 1971. The Harts were terrific, but would explode. The XR1 were super quick with good grip but a bit squirrely.post #6786 of 79183/1/15 at 5:06amThread StarterQuote:
Don't you love that Marker had the foresight to use the two existing holes that leave the boot toe in exactly the same place as the Simplex DL. Just add the single center "post" screw and job done. One advantage of the boot toe on chord center skis! M4's were a huge step forward in elasticity over the light switch Simplex.post #6787 of 79183/2/15 at 8:59pmpost #6788 of 79183/2/15 at 9:01pmpost #6789 of 79183/2/15 at 9:12pm
Sorry, they are going to be mounted and skied. I just left them at my buddy's shop for a grind while I am waiting for the Geze jig. It would take an act of congress to pry these away!post #6790 of 79183/2/15 at 9:13pmQuote:
Too bad- they would look great next to my Sideral's!post #6791 of 79183/3/15 at 1:53amThread Starter
They'll look even better doing what they were made to do out on the mountain! They can sit on the ski wall and look pretty in the off seasonpost #6792 of 79183/3/15 at 5:12pmThread Starter
Had a Rooster day @ Okemo today...
I was on my Rossi 4Sk and ski partner in crime was on her 4Gk
Always great fun with lots of comments and questions on the liftpost #6793 of 79183/3/15 at 6:56pmQuote:
I love the comments...Is it Retro Day? Retro Day, What's that?post #6794 of 79183/4/15 at 9:05ampost #6795 of 79183/5/15 at 9:52pm
Maybe this isn't the exact place for this, but can somebody fill me in on the Tyrolia 390 series?
Specifically I am intrigued by the heel having a rotation release- a feature not adoption by modern mainstream bindings.
I am guess performance/prerelease is why it didn't see greater adoption? I have a pair of these, but can't ski them as they are mounted too wide. If I could ski them, I'd probably be tempted to try and punch them out just to feel how it releases.
Seems like a nifty binding if nothing else.post #6796 of 79183/5/15 at 10:14pm
Not familiar with the 390, but if you mean a lateral release, all Tyrolia/Head/Fischer/Elan heels up through DIN 15 once had lateral release both directions once the heel had lifted a bit off of horizontal. So the effect is that of coming out at an angle to vertical. It was/is called "Full Diagonal," and in my opinion it works for certain classes of falls that elude a traditional heel, although not necessarily for the most common type of ACL with the heel fully weighted.
A few years back - maybe 2010? - the 15 DIN became a "Pro" heel, which was just traditional up and down release, apparently made the average customer happier, and easier to engineer in terms of retention. They dropped the 15/14 DIN Full Diagonal soon after, first Tyrolia, then Head, I think Fischer was the last (although they still brand a 13 DIN FD). But all DIN 12's still have the Full Diagonal to this day; they're nice for lighter skiers, touch short on elasticity for me. That may be where the prerelease reputation comes in. But I have three 14 DIN full diagonals (Mojo's, one still in box) and one 15 DIN FD. Never a hint of retention issues, even at serious speeds. PITA to get into on a slope (heels go sideways if you don't step in just so), but my knees love 'em. So when I sell the skis they're on, skis leave with plugs, not bindings. Cold dead fingers and all that.post #6797 of 79183/6/15 at 2:11amI still have min and the older version without the upwards release in the toe. Even though it was sold as diagonal binding it had to release upwards first by about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch at which point the heel was allowed to pivot. The 390 also reset the locking mechanism automatically the older versions required a manual reset. The advantage of the older was you could reset the prior to stepping in, great on flat areas or step in and then reset them great in deep powder and steeps. Also the brakes always seemed like the spring did not have enough strength though they were one of the few brakes that rotated as they came up and tucked in.
When they changed the look and function and moved to the 400 series I became less of a fan as it appeared IMHO that they orginal progress was going out the window. About that time I switched to the Marker M48 Racing binding.
Now I'm on Look PX15'spost #6798 of 79183/6/15 at 6:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by Rossi Smash
Don't you love that Marker had the foresight to use the two existing holes that leave the boot toe in exactly the same place as the Simplex DL. Just add the single center "post" screw and job done. One advantage of the boot toe on chord center skis! M4's were a huge step forward in elasticity over the light switch Simplex.
I do not see this with the M4 toe I have. filled holes are for the simplex toe. drilled holes for the M4
Skis are Rossi Stratoflex. I did not like them. just planky.post #6799 of 79183/7/15 at 1:35pm
...came across this forum and had to post these...and don't laugh... I still use them. My Dynafit 3F Foams. Had them since my racing days. The shells are in A1 condition. They are a great boot. if I could get new liners for them I would be happier than a pig in a pen...post #6800 of 79183/8/15 at 2:32pmpost #6801 of 79183/8/15 at 2:36pmpost #6802 of 79183/8/15 at 2:46pmpost #6803 of 79183/8/15 at 2:49pm
There are a number of liners I am now looking into. I have also contacted Dynafit too to see if they have something that will work. They asked for pics of the boot and liner. I am just waiting to see what they have too. The liners that are in them are custom foamers. Those I needed for when I was racing. They give great fit and great ski control. Now...I am older...heading into mid 50's. I still ski hard with that ol racing style...but I also do a lot of cruising too.post #6804 of 79183/8/15 at 2:52pmQuote:Quote:
I had several versions of those old Marker binding. They were the rotomats...we called the explodamats because when you fell hard the springs blew out on the back and the toe piece cap rotated off of the spring loaded ball under neath.. Raced on Rosignol Strato 102's...had them on all of them. Oh the memories are flooding back...lolpost #6805 of 79183/10/15 at 2:38am
Took my VR17s out on Saturday.
Here are some vid clips and photos.
A couple of pics. With deliberate dorky faces.
By contrast, here are my contemporary Scott The Skis. With my retro The Ski Demetre sweater.
And after that, a vid of my 14 year old son carving on his Line skis. Wish I could carve like that.
I hope someone enjoyed this.
CWpost #6806 of 79183/10/15 at 6:23ampost #6807 of 79183/10/15 at 8:38ampost #6808 of 79183/10/15 at 10:01ampost #6809 of 79183/10/15 at 11:18am
I dusted off my old 3G's, put on some modern bindings and took them to the hill on our Masters practice night:
Kinda liked playing with them. Always thought I was carving all those years, the coaches have had lot of work breaking me of these slideing habits.post #6810 of 79183/10/15 at 11:34am
Those 17`s are magical.
I would have liked to see you open those baby`s up and see you go into a tuck.......
They`d be no shake and bake as those ski`s rocked straight as an arrow down that steep cordaroy.
Thanks for the treat...
- More Retro memories????
- Boot Fitting Terms And Glossary
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 2 minutes ago
- › 2016-2017 Northern Michigan Ski Weather Forcast 5 minutes ago
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 9 minutes ago
- › North American snow watch 2016- snow reports needed! 21 minutes ago
- › Christmas cancelled, trip moved to mid-Feb. Suggestions please? 24 minutes ago
- › Bomberskiclinic stowe / Alta lodge powder tracks 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › New Instructional Video: JF Beaulieu, Andreas Spettel & Nadine... 2 hours, 29 minutes ago
- › 5-year plans for Alta and Snowbasin 3 hours, 40 minutes ago
- › Atomic XT discussion (video) 3 hours, 52 minutes ago
- › New brand. Stellar equipment 4 hours, 20 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer