Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAlpine Ski Bootstagged by System, 2/1/11
- categorySki Geartagged by System, 11/10/11
- topicSkiing Historytagged by System, 4/12/09
- categoryTelemark Ski Bootstagged by System, 2/1/11
- categoryWax Waxing Toolstagged by System, 9/14/09
- itemWinter Equinox - Reliving the 1974 Freestyle Skiing Pro Tourtagged by System, 10/30/11
Related Forum Threads
- Which DIY Liner Heat Molding Technique is Best? Last post on 11/16/11 at 1:21pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Binding adjustment to suit new boot length Last post on 11/9/11 at 4:45am in Ski Gear Discussion
- Ski purchasing advice Last post on 11/28/11 at 6:11pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- What is or was your all time favorite ski boot? Last post on 3/10/13 at 4:12pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Knee Bindings, 2011-2012, User Reviews Last post on 10/6/12 at 10:01am in Member Gear Reviews
Last edited: 4/27/11
- Boot Fitting Terms And GlossaryLast edited: 4/19/11
- Hot Dog...Return of Bobbie Burns and The SkiLast edited: 2/8/13
- Keep Your Feet WarmLast edited: 9/7/12
- Brief History Of Breckenridge By Lisa MercerLast edited: 4/26/11
First let's discuss the snowboarding. My wife and I enjoy both snowboarding and skiing and have many friends that only board. We love to ski so we had a great time there, but we would also like the...
My son and I spent two days skiing at GT, February 24-25, 2014 and had a great time, in spite of really poor visibility due to the clouds being down on the mountain. We didn't ski off the...
First time at Beaver Creek. The experience was a lot better than expected based on looking at the trail map. We were 3 strong intermediate skiers and snowboarders and hit almost all of the blue...
This was an awesome experience. Not sure what to expect on our first visit, afraid the lower cost might equal lower experience. The staff there was great, friendly and very helpful. There...
Great beginner slope. If you want to try something new like trying snowboarding from skiing, or trying tele this place is good. Definitely check it out if you live nearby. If you're looking for...
More Retro memories???? - Page 149
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4442 of 61974/12/12 at 8:50ampost #4443 of 61974/12/12 at 9:24ampost #4444 of 61974/12/12 at 9:39am
Badass indeed, and very inspiring! Here's another one...
That ^^^^ is commitment!!
Looks like there may** be a screening of "Man on the Medal", (documentary from which these clips are taken), at the Breckenridge Festival of Film June 7-10, 2012.
** I emailed Jim Kellett and he's unsure if there actually will be a screening...will update if I find out.
Edited by jc-ski - 4/12/12 at 10:13ampost #4445 of 61974/12/12 at 10:25amQuote:
*As a side note, the below mogul skier owned the company. POWDER Winter 1976*
The article reminded me of "skiing the tops" of inconsistent mogul fields. My buddies and I made a discipline of it, always looking for the nastiest bump field (usually the steepest, since the hackers had to skid or traverse). I loved it. Never a dull moment & lots of adrenaline.post #4446 of 61974/12/12 at 10:28amQuote:
Ahh... Those were the days. Mark S. (center pic) was from Bogus Basin & really got me into it.post #4447 of 61974/12/12 at 11:16am
The guy wearing the sweater was my friend and co-freestyler during my early years at Bogus.post #4448 of 61974/12/12 at 11:16ampost #4449 of 61974/12/12 at 11:43amQuote:
When Cuche took his retirement run on vintage equipment, I thought of that exact picture. Dick would have smoked him!post #4450 of 61974/12/12 at 2:10pmpost #4451 of 61974/12/12 at 2:18pm
Won a pair of the white green blue ones (plus a bunch of other stuff I can't remember) at a freestyle contest. When I got back home after the tour, I trotted them out & promptly was labeled a fool by the other instructors. Joke was on them, I became the only mogul-qualified instructor that year! Here's a link to me skiing them in a promo video for Bogus Basin (1976-77 ish). Skiing doesn't start til around 2:20 & continues on & off 'til the end. I'm the guy in all orange.post #4452 of 61974/12/12 at 3:12pmpost #4453 of 61974/12/12 at 3:34pm
I have been wanting to post some pics of the skis and boots that I have.
I love all of this stuff from the past.
Here are a few boots that I have:
Here are some Hart skis:
Even a few pairs of newer Harts as well:
Here are some Hexcels:
Some K2's and Olin:
The Ski (black), Volkl P20 DH and Stockli DH:post #4454 of 61974/12/12 at 4:02pm
You bet! I only found this a few days ago when you guys got me started thinking about the ol' days. I was amazed to find this online; thought the film was lost. There's a part 2 on YT also, not as much skiing, but a continuation of the schmaltzy theme. I remember the camera guy(s) constantly telling us to ski way slower, but to 'make it look like you're having a blast!' I think that, because it was a promo for a 'safe & fun experience' kinda thing, they left the cuts of flips & cat-track big-airs out.post #4455 of 61974/12/12 at 5:02pm
Found some more old memories:
Patches & Cards:
Bogus Basin Brochure featuring yours truly! Like the flying hands?
And finally, just 'cause I can, the view off my back deck this morning:
(still retro kinda, 'cause my house was built the year I told my Dad I'd be making my living as a skier, not a corporate guy... :)post #4456 of 61974/13/12 at 6:51amQuote:
I went the corporate route -- what a mistake.
post #4457 of 61974/13/12 at 6:57amQuote:
Our own Bob Barnes did the graphics of that Javelin SL all the way to the right
Nice Black Majic's...are they virgins?post #4458 of 61974/13/12 at 7:10amThread Starterpost #4459 of 61974/13/12 at 7:26amQuote:Originally Posted by GeezSkis
Here's a link to me skiing them in a promo video for Bogus Basin (1976-77 ish). Skiing doesn't start til around 2:20 & continues on & off 'til the end. I'm the guy in all orange.
I think EpicSki may have found an Ambassador for Bogus Basin! You should reach out to tylrwnzl and inquire about that. There are a few perks for maintaining a simple wiki for your home area.post #4460 of 61974/13/12 at 8:02amQuote:
Dude, you rip!
Half my ski buddies at CSU were from Boise in that era. They all lived in the Ranch and skied Bogus all the time.
Bogus puts out a lot of good skiers!post #4461 of 61974/13/12 at 8:04ampost #4462 of 61974/13/12 at 10:48ampost #4463 of 61974/13/12 at 11:08ampost #4464 of 61974/13/12 at 1:03pmpost #4465 of 61974/14/12 at 10:07am
Don-Weber Try them again!!!!
Here is another Dry land ski. Turf ski by Rollka. Made in Italy! Between Climbing in the summer and skiing at the camps on Mt Hood. We would take these out. and play with these.
Just another out of the Black Hole!
Mackpost #4466 of 61974/14/12 at 6:25pmpost #4467 of 61974/14/12 at 6:54pmpost #4468 of 61974/15/12 at 3:00pm
A nice Sunday morning CL score. 1 owner undrilled Killy 800 SL 203's. The guy bought these in 1968, intended to buy bindings later, got busy with school and life, and never skied again. The skis have been sitting in the same basement for 44 years!! They've never seen the light of day until today. They are as close to flawless as is possible.
* I might consider trades for Sideral, XR1, VR17 ..... PM me if interested.
Edited by CJE911 - 4/15/12 at 4:24pmpost #4469 of 61974/15/12 at 5:05pmThread Starterpost #4470 of 61974/15/12 at 7:39pmQuote:
I've tried these...scary stuff.
- More Retro memories????
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Boot Fitting Terms And Glossary
- › 2013 / 14 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke 6 minutes ago
- › Snowbird vs snowmass 23 rd march 13 minutes ago
- › 2014 Gathering: Mammoth/Squaw Dates: MARCH 24-28 2014 26 minutes ago
- › Miniskis? Fun? 31 minutes ago
- › 2014 Elan Amphibio 78 Ti Fusion 44 minutes ago
- › Breck extends season through April 27th 54 minutes ago
- › I think I'm to big for my skis help me decide 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › Gulmarg 2014 Trip Report 1 hour, 14 minutes ago
- › No interest in the K2 Amp Rictor 82xti? 1 hour, 38 minutes ago
- › Contemplating Vail vs Beaver Creek pre-Easter - for about a week plus 1 hour, 48 minutes ago
- › Vibration Damping and Skis by SandwichTech
- › Learning To Ski As An Adult by ERVTravelIns
- › When did Ski Reality become Irrelevant? by Fritzski
- › 10 Cool Ski & Snowboard Kickstarter Projects by ERVTravelIns
- › Want to Win Free Stuff? Answer our Community... by skiessentials
- › Snowboarding or Skiing – Which is... by ERVTravelIns
- › Unofficial Guide to Liberty Ski Area, PA by MephitBlue
- › Steamboat Springs Resort (still under... by Finndog
- › Unofficial Guide to Snowshoe Mountain Resort, WV by Kardinal
- › Face The Pipe- StumpFilms by Stumpa