Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAlpine Ski Bootstagged by System, 2/1/11
- categorySki Geartagged by System, 11/10/11
- topicSkiing Historytagged by System, 4/12/09
- categoryTelemark Ski Bootstagged by System, 2/1/11
- categoryWax Waxing Toolstagged by System, 9/14/09
- itemWinter Equinox - Reliving the 1974 Freestyle Skiing Pro Tourtagged by System, 10/30/11
Related Forum Threads
- Which DIY Liner Heat Molding Technique is Best? Last post on 11/26/14 at 1:10pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Binding adjustment to suit new boot length Last post on 11/9/11 at 4:45am in Ski Gear Discussion
- Ski purchasing advice Last post on 11/28/11 at 6:11pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- What is or was your all time favorite ski boot? Last post on 3/10/13 at 4:12pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Knee Bindings, 2011-2012, User Reviews Last post on 10/6/12 at 10:01am in Member Gear Reviews
Last edited: 4/27/11
- Boot Fitting Terms And GlossaryLast edited: 5/14/14
- Hot Dog...Return of Bobbie Burns and The SkiLast edited: 2/8/13
- Keep Your Feet WarmLast edited: 9/7/12
- Brief History Of Breckenridge By Lisa MercerLast edited: 4/26/11
I have been reviewing jackets for the past 4 years in varied conditions and from many manufacturers. I thought last years BC from Descente was as good as a shell can get but the designers have...
I went to Ski Apache for the first and last time today. Luckily for me I just had to drive 1.5 hrs to get there so I didn't lose more than $80 to this failure of a ski resort. When we arrived it...
Last season I had the regular motive in a 182cm and found it to be okay as a general ski, but kind of lacking on ice/hard snow and it performed better in long turns vs short turns. I ski on hard...
Everything is as it should be with these bindings so long as you don't care about the vibram soles of the boot you put in them. They chew up the soles. The toe piece on your boots could fail. Seems...
Grand Targhee, is nestled right under the Tetons. The view is incredible if it isn't foggy and snowing. Some say the fog is a con, but the locals consider it a PRO! Because Targhee has such a high...
More Retro memories???? - Page 149
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4442 of 65974/12/12 at 8:50ampost #4443 of 65974/12/12 at 9:24ampost #4444 of 65974/12/12 at 9:39am
Badass indeed, and very inspiring! Here's another one...
That ^^^^ is commitment!!
Looks like there may** be a screening of "Man on the Medal", (documentary from which these clips are taken), at the Breckenridge Festival of Film June 7-10, 2012.
** I emailed Jim Kellett and he's unsure if there actually will be a screening...will update if I find out.
Edited by jc-ski - 4/12/12 at 10:13ampost #4445 of 65974/12/12 at 10:25amQuote:
*As a side note, the below mogul skier owned the company. POWDER Winter 1976*
The article reminded me of "skiing the tops" of inconsistent mogul fields. My buddies and I made a discipline of it, always looking for the nastiest bump field (usually the steepest, since the hackers had to skid or traverse). I loved it. Never a dull moment & lots of adrenaline.post #4446 of 65974/12/12 at 10:28amQuote:
Ahh... Those were the days. Mark S. (center pic) was from Bogus Basin & really got me into it.post #4447 of 65974/12/12 at 11:16am
The guy wearing the sweater was my friend and co-freestyler during my early years at Bogus.post #4448 of 65974/12/12 at 11:16ampost #4449 of 65974/12/12 at 11:43amQuote:
When Cuche took his retirement run on vintage equipment, I thought of that exact picture. Dick would have smoked him!post #4450 of 65974/12/12 at 2:10pm
Like these?post #4451 of 65974/12/12 at 2:18pm
Won a pair of the white green blue ones (plus a bunch of other stuff I can't remember) at a freestyle contest. When I got back home after the tour, I trotted them out & promptly was labeled a fool by the other instructors. Joke was on them, I became the only mogul-qualified instructor that year! Here's a link to me skiing them in a promo video for Bogus Basin (1976-77 ish). Skiing doesn't start til around 2:20 & continues on & off 'til the end. I'm the guy in all orange.post #4452 of 65974/12/12 at 3:12pmpost #4453 of 65974/12/12 at 3:34pm
I have been wanting to post some pics of the skis and boots that I have.
I love all of this stuff from the past.
Here are a few boots that I have:
Here are some Hart skis:
Even a few pairs of newer Harts as well:
Here are some Hexcels:
Some K2's and Olin:
The Ski (black), Volkl P20 DH and Stockli DH:post #4454 of 65974/12/12 at 4:02pm
You bet! I only found this a few days ago when you guys got me started thinking about the ol' days. I was amazed to find this online; thought the film was lost. There's a part 2 on YT also, not as much skiing, but a continuation of the schmaltzy theme. I remember the camera guy(s) constantly telling us to ski way slower, but to 'make it look like you're having a blast!' I think that, because it was a promo for a 'safe & fun experience' kinda thing, they left the cuts of flips & cat-track big-airs out.post #4455 of 65974/12/12 at 5:02pm
Found some more old memories:
Patches & Cards:
Bogus Basin Brochure featuring yours truly! Like the flying hands?
And finally, just 'cause I can, the view off my back deck this morning:
(still retro kinda, 'cause my house was built the year I told my Dad I'd be making my living as a skier, not a corporate guy... :)post #4456 of 65974/13/12 at 6:51amQuote:
I went the corporate route -- what a mistake.
post #4457 of 65974/13/12 at 6:57amQuote:
Our own Bob Barnes did the graphics of that Javelin SL all the way to the right
Nice Black Majic's...are they virgins?post #4458 of 65974/13/12 at 7:10amThread Starterpost #4459 of 65974/13/12 at 7:26amQuote:Originally Posted by GeezSkis
Here's a link to me skiing them in a promo video for Bogus Basin (1976-77 ish). Skiing doesn't start til around 2:20 & continues on & off 'til the end. I'm the guy in all orange.
I think EpicSki may have found an Ambassador for Bogus Basin! You should reach out to tylrwnzl and inquire about that. There are a few perks for maintaining a simple wiki for your home area.post #4460 of 65974/13/12 at 8:02amQuote:
Dude, you rip!
Half my ski buddies at CSU were from Boise in that era. They all lived in the Ranch and skied Bogus all the time.
Bogus puts out a lot of good skiers!post #4461 of 65974/13/12 at 8:04ampost #4462 of 65974/13/12 at 10:48ampost #4463 of 65974/13/12 at 11:08ampost #4464 of 65974/13/12 at 1:03pmpost #4465 of 65974/14/12 at 10:07am
Don-Weber Try them again!!!!
Here is another Dry land ski. Turf ski by Rollka. Made in Italy! Between Climbing in the summer and skiing at the camps on Mt Hood. We would take these out. and play with these.
Just another out of the Black Hole!
Mackpost #4466 of 65974/14/12 at 6:25pmpost #4467 of 65974/14/12 at 6:54pmpost #4468 of 65974/15/12 at 3:00pm
A nice Sunday morning CL score. 1 owner undrilled Killy 800 SL 203's. The guy bought these in 1968, intended to buy bindings later, got busy with school and life, and never skied again. The skis have been sitting in the same basement for 44 years!! They've never seen the light of day until today. They are as close to flawless as is possible.
* I might consider trades for Sideral, XR1, VR17 ..... PM me if interested.
Edited by CJE911 - 4/15/12 at 4:24pmpost #4469 of 65974/15/12 at 5:05pmThread Starterpost #4470 of 65974/15/12 at 7:39pmQuote:
I've tried these...scary stuff.
- More Retro memories????
- Boot Fitting Terms And Glossary
- › Six Narrower All-Mountain Skis - EpicSki Usual Suspects at Sunday... 12 seconds ago
- › What to expect in mammoth? 2 minutes ago
- › 2013-2014 Fischer WC SL 165, and non WC 165, 155 review from a... 5 minutes ago
- › DIN Settings and Springs 6 minutes ago
- › which is cheaper? 8 minutes ago
- › DIN Advice 8 minutes ago
- › Notes on Out of the Wrapper Tunes: new skis 10 minutes ago
- › Fischer WC GS hole ski, 183, ER17 Freeflex bindings, Very good... 16 minutes ago
- › Transitions: An (im)Balancing Act 28 minutes ago
- › Have to make lodging decision this weekend for MLK week: ... 28 minutes ago
- › 2015 Descente Haines Jacket by Philpug
- › Ski Apache by Tim Pitz
- › 2012 Fischer Motive 80 C-Line Ski by Basil J
- › 22 Designs Axl Telemark Binding One Color, S by 54max
- › Grand Targhee by ApachePine
- › 2015 Descente Storm by Philpug
- › Salomon Ghost Max 130 Ski Boots 2014 - 27.5 by mtbakerpow
- › 2014 Salomon Rocker2 122 Ski by mtbakerpow
- › 2015 Rossignol Experience 84 Ski by davidbeinct
- › 2012 Dynastar 6th Sense Superpipe Ski by ski-master
- › Gudauri season opening 12.20.2014.
- › Loveland, CO - A Pictorial
- › Whiteface Mountain, NY - A Pictorial
- › Aspen Highlands, CO - A Pictorial
- › Steamboat Springs
- › Hunter Mountain, NY - A Pictorial
- › Snowmass, CO - A Pictorial
- › Sugarloaf, ME - A Pictorial
- › Aspen Mountain, CO - A Pictorial
- › About Those German Trail Names at Taos