Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAlpine Ski Bootstagged by System, 2/1/11
- categorySki Geartagged by System, 11/10/11
- topicSkiing Historytagged by System, 4/12/09
- categoryTelemark Ski Bootstagged by System, 2/1/11
- categoryWax Waxing Toolstagged by System, 9/14/09
- itemWinter Equinox - Reliving the 1974 Freestyle Skiing Pro Tourtagged by System, 10/30/11
Related Forum Threads
- Which DIY Liner Heat Molding Technique is Best? Last post on 11/26/14 at 1:10pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Binding adjustment to suit new boot length Last post on 11/9/11 at 4:45am in Ski Gear Discussion
- Ski purchasing advice Last post on 11/28/11 at 6:11pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- What is or was your all time favorite ski boot? Last post on 1/30/15 at 11:01pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Knee Bindings, 2011-2012, User Reviews Last post on 10/6/12 at 10:01am in Member Gear Reviews
Last edited: 4/27/11
- Boot Fitting Terms And GlossaryLast edited: 5/14/14
- Hot Dog...Return of Bobbie Burns and The SkiLast edited: 2/8/13
- Keep Your Feet WarmLast edited: 9/7/12
- Brief History Of Breckenridge By Lisa MercerLast edited: 4/26/11
I have called Stowe my home mountain for 5 years. When I moved to northern Vermont, I had my pick of mountains to work at since I had extensive experience as an instructor. I chose Stowe because I...
Skied here for 3 days during a Canadian Rockies trip. Unfortunately it was in March of 2015 which was the warmest winter the area had seen in 50 years! Lots of bare areas at the bottom but plenty...
I usually try to get there early - good snow quality and less crowded, spend most of the time on the backside of the mountain. Terrain more varied and advanced with some bumps to enjoy. One of...
I went to Sun Peaks occasionally between 1999-2001 as a temporary resident. I returned in March 2015 as a visitor. (Please bear in mind that 2014-15 was probably the worst snow year in ages.) A lot...
First impression: The first impression was the strong edge grip. Please note that I put a 1 degree bevel on the base and a 3 degree bevel on the sides. I normally ski a 1 and 2 but the factory...
More Retro memories???? - Page 149
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4442 of 69084/12/12 at 8:50ampost #4443 of 69084/12/12 at 9:24ampost #4444 of 69084/12/12 at 9:39am
Badass indeed, and very inspiring! Here's another one...
That ^^^^ is commitment!!
Looks like there may** be a screening of "Man on the Medal", (documentary from which these clips are taken), at the Breckenridge Festival of Film June 7-10, 2012.
** I emailed Jim Kellett and he's unsure if there actually will be a screening...will update if I find out.
Edited by jc-ski - 4/12/12 at 10:13ampost #4445 of 69084/12/12 at 10:25amQuote:
*As a side note, the below mogul skier owned the company. POWDER Winter 1976*
The article reminded me of "skiing the tops" of inconsistent mogul fields. My buddies and I made a discipline of it, always looking for the nastiest bump field (usually the steepest, since the hackers had to skid or traverse). I loved it. Never a dull moment & lots of adrenaline.post #4446 of 69084/12/12 at 10:28amQuote:
Ahh... Those were the days. Mark S. (center pic) was from Bogus Basin & really got me into it.post #4447 of 69084/12/12 at 11:16am
The guy wearing the sweater was my friend and co-freestyler during my early years at Bogus.post #4448 of 69084/12/12 at 11:16ampost #4449 of 69084/12/12 at 11:43amQuote:
When Cuche took his retirement run on vintage equipment, I thought of that exact picture. Dick would have smoked him!post #4450 of 69084/12/12 at 2:10pm
Like these?post #4451 of 69084/12/12 at 2:18pm
Won a pair of the white green blue ones (plus a bunch of other stuff I can't remember) at a freestyle contest. When I got back home after the tour, I trotted them out & promptly was labeled a fool by the other instructors. Joke was on them, I became the only mogul-qualified instructor that year! Here's a link to me skiing them in a promo video for Bogus Basin (1976-77 ish). Skiing doesn't start til around 2:20 & continues on & off 'til the end. I'm the guy in all orange.post #4452 of 69084/12/12 at 3:12pmpost #4453 of 69084/12/12 at 3:34pm
I have been wanting to post some pics of the skis and boots that I have.
I love all of this stuff from the past.
Here are a few boots that I have:
Here are some Hart skis:
Even a few pairs of newer Harts as well:
Here are some Hexcels:
Some K2's and Olin:
The Ski (black), Volkl P20 DH and Stockli DH:post #4454 of 69084/12/12 at 4:02pm
You bet! I only found this a few days ago when you guys got me started thinking about the ol' days. I was amazed to find this online; thought the film was lost. There's a part 2 on YT also, not as much skiing, but a continuation of the schmaltzy theme. I remember the camera guy(s) constantly telling us to ski way slower, but to 'make it look like you're having a blast!' I think that, because it was a promo for a 'safe & fun experience' kinda thing, they left the cuts of flips & cat-track big-airs out.post #4455 of 69084/12/12 at 5:02pm
Found some more old memories:
Patches & Cards:
Bogus Basin Brochure featuring yours truly! Like the flying hands?
And finally, just 'cause I can, the view off my back deck this morning:
(still retro kinda, 'cause my house was built the year I told my Dad I'd be making my living as a skier, not a corporate guy... :)post #4456 of 69084/13/12 at 6:51amQuote:
I went the corporate route -- what a mistake.
post #4457 of 69084/13/12 at 6:57amQuote:
Our own Bob Barnes did the graphics of that Javelin SL all the way to the right
Nice Black Majic's...are they virgins?post #4458 of 69084/13/12 at 7:10amThread Starterpost #4459 of 69084/13/12 at 7:26amQuote:Originally Posted by GeezSkis
Here's a link to me skiing them in a promo video for Bogus Basin (1976-77 ish). Skiing doesn't start til around 2:20 & continues on & off 'til the end. I'm the guy in all orange.
I think EpicSki may have found an Ambassador for Bogus Basin! You should reach out to tylrwnzl and inquire about that. There are a few perks for maintaining a simple wiki for your home area.post #4460 of 69084/13/12 at 8:02amQuote:
Dude, you rip!
Half my ski buddies at CSU were from Boise in that era. They all lived in the Ranch and skied Bogus all the time.
Bogus puts out a lot of good skiers!post #4461 of 69084/13/12 at 8:04ampost #4462 of 69084/13/12 at 10:48ampost #4463 of 69084/13/12 at 11:08ampost #4464 of 69084/13/12 at 1:03pmpost #4465 of 69084/14/12 at 10:07am
Don-Weber Try them again!!!!
Here is another Dry land ski. Turf ski by Rollka. Made in Italy! Between Climbing in the summer and skiing at the camps on Mt Hood. We would take these out. and play with these.
Just another out of the Black Hole!
Mackpost #4466 of 69084/14/12 at 6:25pmpost #4467 of 69084/14/12 at 6:54pmpost #4468 of 69084/15/12 at 3:00pm
A nice Sunday morning CL score. 1 owner undrilled Killy 800 SL 203's. The guy bought these in 1968, intended to buy bindings later, got busy with school and life, and never skied again. The skis have been sitting in the same basement for 44 years!! They've never seen the light of day until today. They are as close to flawless as is possible.
* I might consider trades for Sideral, XR1, VR17 ..... PM me if interested.
Edited by CJE911 - 4/15/12 at 4:24pmpost #4469 of 69084/15/12 at 5:05pmThread Starterpost #4470 of 69084/15/12 at 7:39pmQuote:
I've tried these...scary stuff.
- More Retro memories????
- Boot Fitting Terms And Glossary
- › Prizms, Photochromics, Or....? For the best all round experience... 3 minutes ago
- › "US Ski Team Celebrates New Level of Cooperation" (with PSIA) 5 minutes ago
- › Is Gopro a Fad? 10 minutes ago
- › 2014-2015 New Mexico/Arizona Weather Discussion 12 minutes ago
- › Quadriceps Tendon Rupture, Repair and Rehab 13 minutes ago
- › Should Ski Pole Straps be Used? 14 minutes ago
- › Mount Everest avalanche video - Nepal Earthquake - late but a snapshot 18 minutes ago
- › Finding a new home mountain near Salt Lake (intermediate trip reports) 22 minutes ago
- › New thread on how ski areas report their snow conditions 22 minutes ago
- › Gulmarg 2014/15 Trip Report 22 minutes ago
- › Stowe by freeski919
- › Fernie Alpine Resort by ExWanabe
- › Liberty Mountain by GeeWhiz
- › Sun Peaks by jhkc
- › 2015 Blizzard Brahma Skis by choucas
- › 2015 Rossignol Experience 100 by Pierre
- › Stratton Mountain by IndyDog
- › Okemo Mountain by Partizan Turks
- › Outdoor Research Filament Down Pullover by qcanoe
- › Sugarbush by bosrocker51
- › First Decents- Part 3: Hotel Hill
- › Top 5 April Fool's Jokes in Skiing from...
- › First Decents: Part 2 - Cobb's Hill
- › 2015 Geezer Ski Bum Tour – EpicSki #5
- › Ski Tests, Indie Ski Brands, and...
- › 2015 Geezer Ski Bum Tour – EpicSki #4
- › Sneak Peek: A Review of the New 2016 Nordica...
- › Tip Tapping Drill
- › 2015 Geezer Ski Bum Tour – EpicSki #3
- › The 2015 Nordica NRGY 100 is the SUV of Skiing