Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAlpine Ski Bootstagged by System, 2/1/11
- categorySki Geartagged by System, 11/10/11
- topicSkiing Historytagged by System, 4/12/09
- categoryTelemark Ski Bootstagged by System, 2/1/11
- categoryWax Waxing Toolstagged by System, 9/14/09
- itemWinter Equinox - Reliving the 1974 Freestyle Skiing Pro Tourtagged by System, 10/30/11
Related Forum Threads
- Which DIY Liner Heat Molding Technique is Best? Last post on 11/26/14 at 1:10pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Binding adjustment to suit new boot length Last post on 11/9/11 at 4:45am in Ski Gear Discussion
- Ski purchasing advice Last post on 11/28/11 at 6:11pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- What is or was your all time favorite ski boot? Last post on 1/30/15 at 11:01pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Knee Bindings, 2011-2012, User Reviews Last post on 10/6/12 at 10:01am in Member Gear Reviews
Last edited: 4/27/11
- Boot Fitting Terms And GlossaryLast edited: 5/14/14
- Hot Dog...Return of Bobbie Burns and The SkiLast edited: 2/8/13
- Keep Your Feet WarmLast edited: 9/7/12
- Brief History Of Breckenridge By Lisa MercerLast edited: 4/26/11
I can't live without this product -- stiff boots must be warmed above room temperature in order to get them on, and then they hold heat halfway through a morning of comfy skiing. Warm the boots...
I bought this jacket (in red) for my son last year. We first went to the local big box store with the intention of buying it there, but they didn't carry it either in-store or on line. We tried...
This ski resort is about the same ability level as any of the socal resorts except for mt. baldy. So if you can handle the blues and blacks at the listed resorts you will have no problem skiing...
A-Basin is one of my favorites mountains. It has everything. Never really crowded and if it is doesn't feel like on the slopes. I love the new bowl (which isn't so new anymore). A-basin is a...
I worked one season at Cannon on the Ski Patrol, I've seen marvelous skiing and rock slalom in spring. The Mountain is divers enough for the very best skier to find a challange and the beginner to...
More Retro memories???? - Page 149
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4442 of 73354/12/12 at 8:50ampost #4443 of 73354/12/12 at 9:24ampost #4444 of 73354/12/12 at 9:39am
Badass indeed, and very inspiring! Here's another one...
That ^^^^ is commitment!!
Looks like there may** be a screening of "Man on the Medal", (documentary from which these clips are taken), at the Breckenridge Festival of Film June 7-10, 2012.
** I emailed Jim Kellett and he's unsure if there actually will be a screening...will update if I find out.
Edited by jc-ski - 4/12/12 at 10:13ampost #4445 of 73354/12/12 at 10:25amQuote:
*As a side note, the below mogul skier owned the company. POWDER Winter 1976*
The article reminded me of "skiing the tops" of inconsistent mogul fields. My buddies and I made a discipline of it, always looking for the nastiest bump field (usually the steepest, since the hackers had to skid or traverse). I loved it. Never a dull moment & lots of adrenaline.post #4446 of 73354/12/12 at 10:28amQuote:
Ahh... Those were the days. Mark S. (center pic) was from Bogus Basin & really got me into it.post #4447 of 73354/12/12 at 11:16am
The guy wearing the sweater was my friend and co-freestyler during my early years at Bogus.post #4448 of 73354/12/12 at 11:16ampost #4449 of 73354/12/12 at 11:43amQuote:
When Cuche took his retirement run on vintage equipment, I thought of that exact picture. Dick would have smoked him!post #4450 of 73354/12/12 at 2:10pm
Like these?post #4451 of 73354/12/12 at 2:18pm
Won a pair of the white green blue ones (plus a bunch of other stuff I can't remember) at a freestyle contest. When I got back home after the tour, I trotted them out & promptly was labeled a fool by the other instructors. Joke was on them, I became the only mogul-qualified instructor that year! Here's a link to me skiing them in a promo video for Bogus Basin (1976-77 ish). Skiing doesn't start til around 2:20 & continues on & off 'til the end. I'm the guy in all orange.post #4452 of 73354/12/12 at 3:12pmpost #4453 of 73354/12/12 at 3:34pm
I have been wanting to post some pics of the skis and boots that I have.
I love all of this stuff from the past.
Here are a few boots that I have:
Here are some Hart skis:
Even a few pairs of newer Harts as well:
Here are some Hexcels:
Some K2's and Olin:
The Ski (black), Volkl P20 DH and Stockli DH:post #4454 of 73354/12/12 at 4:02pm
You bet! I only found this a few days ago when you guys got me started thinking about the ol' days. I was amazed to find this online; thought the film was lost. There's a part 2 on YT also, not as much skiing, but a continuation of the schmaltzy theme. I remember the camera guy(s) constantly telling us to ski way slower, but to 'make it look like you're having a blast!' I think that, because it was a promo for a 'safe & fun experience' kinda thing, they left the cuts of flips & cat-track big-airs out.post #4455 of 73354/12/12 at 5:02pm
Found some more old memories:
Patches & Cards:
Bogus Basin Brochure featuring yours truly! Like the flying hands?
And finally, just 'cause I can, the view off my back deck this morning:
(still retro kinda, 'cause my house was built the year I told my Dad I'd be making my living as a skier, not a corporate guy... :)post #4456 of 73354/13/12 at 6:51amQuote:
I went the corporate route -- what a mistake.
post #4457 of 73354/13/12 at 6:57amQuote:
Our own Bob Barnes did the graphics of that Javelin SL all the way to the right
Nice Black Majic's...are they virgins?post #4458 of 73354/13/12 at 7:10amThread Starterpost #4459 of 73354/13/12 at 7:26amQuote:Originally Posted by GeezSkis
Here's a link to me skiing them in a promo video for Bogus Basin (1976-77 ish). Skiing doesn't start til around 2:20 & continues on & off 'til the end. I'm the guy in all orange.
I think EpicSki may have found an Ambassador for Bogus Basin! You should reach out to tylrwnzl and inquire about that. There are a few perks for maintaining a simple wiki for your home area.post #4460 of 73354/13/12 at 8:02amQuote:
Dude, you rip!
Half my ski buddies at CSU were from Boise in that era. They all lived in the Ranch and skied Bogus all the time.
Bogus puts out a lot of good skiers!post #4461 of 73354/13/12 at 8:04ampost #4462 of 73354/13/12 at 10:48ampost #4463 of 73354/13/12 at 11:08ampost #4464 of 73354/13/12 at 1:03pmpost #4465 of 73354/14/12 at 10:07am
Don-Weber Try them again!!!!
Here is another Dry land ski. Turf ski by Rollka. Made in Italy! Between Climbing in the summer and skiing at the camps on Mt Hood. We would take these out. and play with these.
Just another out of the Black Hole!
Mackpost #4466 of 73354/14/12 at 6:25pmpost #4467 of 73354/14/12 at 6:54pmpost #4468 of 73354/15/12 at 3:00pm
A nice Sunday morning CL score. 1 owner undrilled Killy 800 SL 203's. The guy bought these in 1968, intended to buy bindings later, got busy with school and life, and never skied again. The skis have been sitting in the same basement for 44 years!! They've never seen the light of day until today. They are as close to flawless as is possible.
* I might consider trades for Sideral, XR1, VR17 ..... PM me if interested.
Edited by CJE911 - 4/15/12 at 4:24pmpost #4469 of 73354/15/12 at 5:05pmThread Starterpost #4470 of 73354/15/12 at 7:39pmQuote:
I've tried these...scary stuff.
- More Retro memories????
- Boot Fitting Terms And Glossary
- › Skier gift suggestions 4 minutes ago
- › Revised Posting Guidelines 7 minutes ago
- › Opening/Closing Dates! 14 minutes ago
- › 2015-16 Southeast news, meetups, weather (NC, VA, WV; plus folks in... 15 minutes ago
- › Challenge: Create a Three Sentence Statement of Technical Intent 16 minutes ago
- › Diamond polishing on a varied edge? 22 minutes ago
- › In the history of skiing what has been the most significant... 26 minutes ago
- › 2015-16 Northeast Region Stoke, Weather, News, Chat 32 minutes ago
- › Two kinds of Wedge Christie 43 minutes ago
- › 2016 Blizzard Bonafide and 2016 Fischer Motive 95: head to head review 44 minutes ago
- › Hot Gear Bag by Seth Masia
- › Spyder Leader Jacket - Boys' by SnowBalz
- › Brian Head Resort by Hoben02
- › Arapahoe Basin by ColoradoSkiier2
- › Cannon Mountain by GW2108
- › Tuckerman Ravine by GW2108
- › Wildcat by GW2108
- › Alta by GW2108
- › 2015 Dynastar Chrome 74 FluidX Skis by GW2108
- › Blue Mountain Ski Area by ReeferBen
- › Keystone, CO - A Pictorial
- › Top 5 Fridays - Big Air Fenway, West Coast...
- › SkiEssentials.com - 2015 Volkl One Review
- › Top 5 Fridays - Bode Miller, Bomber Skis,...
- › SkiEssentials.com - 2016 Atomic Vantage 90...
- › Top 5 Fridays - Resort Updates, Skiing in...
- › Top 5 Fridays - Ski Season Underway, New...
- › 2016 Spyder Enforcer Jacket -...
- › The Most Experienced EpicSkier - Bob McNeill
- › SkiEssentials 2016 Volkl Kendo Review