Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAlpine Ski Bootstagged by System, 2/1/11
- categorySki Geartagged by System, 11/10/11
- topicSkiing Historytagged by System, 4/12/09
- categoryTelemark Ski Bootstagged by System, 2/1/11
- categoryWax Waxing Toolstagged by System, 9/14/09
- itemWinter Equinox - Reliving the 1974 Freestyle Skiing Pro Tourtagged by System, 10/30/11
Related Forum Threads
- Which DIY Liner Heat Molding Technique is Best? Last post on 11/26/14 at 1:10pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Binding adjustment to suit new boot length Last post on 11/9/11 at 4:45am in Ski Gear Discussion
- Ski purchasing advice Last post on 11/28/11 at 6:11pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- What is or was your all time favorite ski boot? Last post on 2/18/16 at 2:17pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Knee Bindings, 2011-2012, User Reviews Last post on 10/6/12 at 10:01am in Member Gear Reviews
Last edited: 4/27/11
- Boot Fitting Terms And GlossaryLast edited: 5/14/14
- EpicSki Interview with James NiehuesLast edited: 9/14/16
- 2016 Lange Buyers GuideLast edited: 8/4/16
- Salomon Ski BootsLast edited: 8/4/16
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
A new chairlift was finally installed a couple years ago. A great deal of trail widening done at the same time and glades added. Lodge is quaint A frame but much too small on busy...
More Retro memories???? - Page 149
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4442 of 79114/12/12 at 8:50ampost #4443 of 79114/12/12 at 9:24ampost #4444 of 79114/12/12 at 9:39am
Badass indeed, and very inspiring! Here's another one...
That ^^^^ is commitment!!
Looks like there may** be a screening of "Man on the Medal", (documentary from which these clips are taken), at the Breckenridge Festival of Film June 7-10, 2012.
** I emailed Jim Kellett and he's unsure if there actually will be a screening...will update if I find out.
Edited by jc-ski - 4/12/12 at 10:13ampost #4445 of 79114/12/12 at 10:25amQuote:
*As a side note, the below mogul skier owned the company. POWDER Winter 1976*
The article reminded me of "skiing the tops" of inconsistent mogul fields. My buddies and I made a discipline of it, always looking for the nastiest bump field (usually the steepest, since the hackers had to skid or traverse). I loved it. Never a dull moment & lots of adrenaline.post #4446 of 79114/12/12 at 10:28amQuote:
Ahh... Those were the days. Mark S. (center pic) was from Bogus Basin & really got me into it.post #4447 of 79114/12/12 at 11:16am
The guy wearing the sweater was my friend and co-freestyler during my early years at Bogus.post #4448 of 79114/12/12 at 11:16ampost #4449 of 79114/12/12 at 11:43amQuote:
When Cuche took his retirement run on vintage equipment, I thought of that exact picture. Dick would have smoked him!post #4450 of 79114/12/12 at 2:10pm
Like these?post #4451 of 79114/12/12 at 2:18pm
Won a pair of the white green blue ones (plus a bunch of other stuff I can't remember) at a freestyle contest. When I got back home after the tour, I trotted them out & promptly was labeled a fool by the other instructors. Joke was on them, I became the only mogul-qualified instructor that year! Here's a link to me skiing them in a promo video for Bogus Basin (1976-77 ish). Skiing doesn't start til around 2:20 & continues on & off 'til the end. I'm the guy in all orange.post #4452 of 79114/12/12 at 3:12pmpost #4453 of 79114/12/12 at 3:34pm
I have been wanting to post some pics of the skis and boots that I have.
I love all of this stuff from the past.
Here are a few boots that I have:
Here are some Hart skis:
Even a few pairs of newer Harts as well:
Here are some Hexcels:
Some K2's and Olin:
The Ski (black), Volkl P20 DH and Stockli DH:post #4454 of 79114/12/12 at 4:02pm
You bet! I only found this a few days ago when you guys got me started thinking about the ol' days. I was amazed to find this online; thought the film was lost. There's a part 2 on YT also, not as much skiing, but a continuation of the schmaltzy theme. I remember the camera guy(s) constantly telling us to ski way slower, but to 'make it look like you're having a blast!' I think that, because it was a promo for a 'safe & fun experience' kinda thing, they left the cuts of flips & cat-track big-airs out.post #4455 of 79114/12/12 at 5:02pm
Found some more old memories:
Patches & Cards:
Bogus Basin Brochure featuring yours truly! Like the flying hands?
And finally, just 'cause I can, the view off my back deck this morning:
(still retro kinda, 'cause my house was built the year I told my Dad I'd be making my living as a skier, not a corporate guy... :)post #4456 of 79114/13/12 at 6:51amQuote:
I went the corporate route -- what a mistake.
post #4457 of 79114/13/12 at 6:57amQuote:
Our own Bob Barnes did the graphics of that Javelin SL all the way to the right
Nice Black Majic's...are they virgins?post #4458 of 79114/13/12 at 7:10amThread Starterpost #4459 of 79114/13/12 at 7:26amQuote:Originally Posted by GeezSkis
Here's a link to me skiing them in a promo video for Bogus Basin (1976-77 ish). Skiing doesn't start til around 2:20 & continues on & off 'til the end. I'm the guy in all orange.
I think EpicSki may have found an Ambassador for Bogus Basin! You should reach out to tylrwnzl and inquire about that. There are a few perks for maintaining a simple wiki for your home area.post #4460 of 79114/13/12 at 8:02amQuote:
Dude, you rip!
Half my ski buddies at CSU were from Boise in that era. They all lived in the Ranch and skied Bogus all the time.
Bogus puts out a lot of good skiers!post #4461 of 79114/13/12 at 8:04ampost #4462 of 79114/13/12 at 10:48ampost #4463 of 79114/13/12 at 11:08ampost #4464 of 79114/13/12 at 1:03pmpost #4465 of 79114/14/12 at 10:07am
Don-Weber Try them again!!!!
Here is another Dry land ski. Turf ski by Rollka. Made in Italy! Between Climbing in the summer and skiing at the camps on Mt Hood. We would take these out. and play with these.
Just another out of the Black Hole!
Mackpost #4466 of 79114/14/12 at 6:25pmpost #4467 of 79114/14/12 at 6:54pmpost #4468 of 79114/15/12 at 3:00pm
A nice Sunday morning CL score. 1 owner undrilled Killy 800 SL 203's. The guy bought these in 1968, intended to buy bindings later, got busy with school and life, and never skied again. The skis have been sitting in the same basement for 44 years!! They've never seen the light of day until today. They are as close to flawless as is possible.
* I might consider trades for Sideral, XR1, VR17 ..... PM me if interested.
Edited by CJE911 - 4/15/12 at 4:24pmpost #4469 of 79114/15/12 at 5:05pmThread Starterpost #4470 of 79114/15/12 at 7:39pmQuote:
I've tried these...scary stuff.
- More Retro memories????
- Boot Fitting Terms And Glossary
- › Bumps, trees ski recommendation/buy 3 minutes ago
- › Head RS 120 vs 140 16 minutes ago
- › Utah vs Lake Tahoe [for attending college] 19 minutes ago
- › Mid-Atlantic Gathering 2016-17 Discussion 1 hour, 48 minutes ago
- › The Epiphany 1 hour, 50 minutes ago
- › Some help with ignorance reduction! [for return to northeast] 2 hours, 4 minutes ago
- › Random Question... 2 hours, 26 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 3 hours, 2 minutes ago
- › You Don't Need To Stone Grind Skis. Here is another option. 3 hours, 22 minutes ago
- › How to ski a narrow couloir in deep powder 4 hours, 16 minutes ago
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › 2013 Salomon Rockette 92 by Guy Anderson
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer
- › 68 Days: A Story of Skiing's Life...
- › Darn Tough Socks - The Last Socks You'll...
- › 2017 Volkl Confession Review
- › The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain Resort