that Lech picture is interesting. (I was there then also) back then the peaks in the background are just scenery. today you'd see bootpacks, skin tracks, and linked turns down the chutes.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAlpine Ski Bootstagged by System, 2/1/11
- categorySki Geartagged by System, 11/10/11
- topicSkiing Historytagged by System, 4/12/09
- categoryTelemark Ski Bootstagged by System, 2/1/11
- categoryWax Waxing Toolstagged by System, 9/14/09
- itemWinter Equinox - Reliving the 1974 Freestyle Skiing Pro Tourtagged by System, 10/30/11
Related Forum Threads
- Which DIY Liner Heat Molding Technique is Best? Last post on 11/26/14 at 1:10pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Binding adjustment to suit new boot length Last post on 11/9/11 at 4:45am in Ski Gear Discussion
- Ski purchasing advice Last post on 11/28/11 at 6:11pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- What is or was your all time favorite ski boot? Last post on 2/18/16 at 2:17pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Knee Bindings, 2011-2012, User Reviews Last post on 10/6/12 at 10:01am in Member Gear Reviews
Last edited: 4/27/11
- Boot Fitting Terms And GlossaryLast edited: 5/14/14
- Hot Dog...Return of Bobbie Burns and The SkiLast edited: 2/8/13
- Keep Your Feet WarmLast edited: 9/7/12
- Brief History Of Breckenridge By Lisa MercerLast edited: 4/26/11
Largest vertical in the east, iciest in the east, one of the hardest in the east, and who could not forget the slides. Whiteface offers expert skiers terrain that is truly like nothing else in the...
Bought one of these (a medium to be precise) prior to a trip out west. It's a really great shell. Gore-tex, the snow skirt attached to a pair of 10 year-old Burton pants. Love the fit, not too...
Our family has been here twice. We had a short stay in 2014 and a 5 night stay during spring break, mid-March 2016. We really enjoyed the first visit but were really looking forward to spending...
These are great skis. Really snappy on tight turns but also great wide arc carvers. Handled the pow really well although it was only about 8 inches of it.
HoliMont is a private resort in Ellicottville NY. It is not overly huge but sports a wide variety of excellent slopes. Cascade,Fall Line and Greer Hill are some of the Black...
More Retro memories???? - Page 129post #3841 of 775310/28/11 at 10:20am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3842 of 775310/30/11 at 6:27pmpost #3843 of 775310/30/11 at 6:30pmpost #3844 of 775310/30/11 at 8:04pmpost #3845 of 775310/31/11 at 9:26am
I'm not really certain it was ALWAYS looking like that. I can't figure that part of that hill being the bumps anyone would photograph, as they are not going to ski well (not inviting), even in context of those days, IMO. Lots of "wear and tear" from people not skiing them well, lots of skiers cutting across the fall line. I skied bumps at Stelvio back in the mid 60's, a ski area that in spring is just used by national teams in training, and the bumps were perfectly aligned, not cuts across the fall line at all. The better the skiers, all of them on the hill, the better the bumps is, I guess, what I'm saying, just to be a PIA.post #3846 of 775310/31/11 at 12:44pm
I admit to generalizing. I started skiing in 1972 and don't have a real memory of the moguls being any particular size or shape. Interesting what you say about the racers making perfectly aligned bumps though. I think the photographer picked that run specifically not to make the skiier look good but the low light angle making the bumps seem more dramatic than they are. The photographer got exactly what he was looking for, down to the yellow jacket.post #3847 of 775311/2/11 at 2:35pmpost #3848 of 775311/5/11 at 6:37am
A few more notes on ballet skis. Elan also made them (black and lime green).
I scored a pair of k2 244s to replace my beloved Harts. I found a huge stash of ballets in Germany, but shipping is prohibitively expensive given the ski prices. The k2s should do quite well with Salomon T12 bindings. Just lock'em down till they won't release during tip tricks!
LOL!post #3849 of 775311/7/11 at 7:39pmpost #3850 of 775311/7/11 at 7:42pmpost #3851 of 775311/7/11 at 7:45pmpost #3852 of 775311/7/11 at 10:35pm
In the mid 60's I had a long thong heel plate that was not a safety heel piece (it precedes rotomat above). It had a 'buckle' that wrapped around the heel of the soul, you snapped it shut pushing it toward the heel. No springs or cables. The leather long thong had a lot of racing vibe. And your contact with the ski was positive. The rotomat long thong heel does not have the panache', just doesn't. At that time, racing pants had a broad contrasting stripe down the side.
Note: when safety bindings had a clamp in front of the toe piece and a cable extending behind the heel, racers employed a better devise for positive contact with the ski. A plate was installed on the toe of the boot. The plate had a hole in the center that was aligned with a fixed horizontal pin on the ski. For the heel piece, D-rings were screwed to the sidewall of the ski next to the heel of the boot. A very long thong was wrapped three times around and through and the heel attachment was complete. TOTAL. It was, reasonably, called the suicide binding. "Oh, dad, please, can I have a suicide binding on my new skis? They are the coolest!" We had these in Alaska, late 50's. I don't know if they were ever used in Europe. anyone know?
Edited by davluri - 11/7/11 at 10:48pmpost #3853 of 775311/8/11 at 7:14ampost #3854 of 775311/8/11 at 2:10pm
I had this photo without the Sun Valley printed on it for years! I ripped it out of a calendar. Loved it. That's what I really loved about skiing back then. I always thought they were eastern bumps...hehe...
The multiple reproduction and angle doesn't do it justice.
Quote:post #3855 of 775311/10/11 at 9:46amThread Starterpost #3856 of 775311/12/11 at 6:13pmpost #3857 of 775311/12/11 at 6:17pmQuote:
yup, I had these 500's on my green Kazama's 70/71/72?post #3858 of 775311/13/11 at 3:20pmThread Starterpost #3859 of 775311/13/11 at 3:52pmpost #3860 of 775311/14/11 at 6:46pmpost #3861 of 775311/15/11 at 6:57amThread Starterpost #3862 of 775311/15/11 at 3:49pmThread Starterpost #3863 of 775311/16/11 at 10:57ampost #3864 of 775311/18/11 at 1:59pmpost #3865 of 775311/18/11 at 2:08pmpost #3866 of 775311/18/11 at 2:41pmThread Starterpost #3867 of 775311/18/11 at 7:01pmpost #3868 of 775311/20/11 at 6:39pmpost #3869 of 775311/20/11 at 6:46pm
Everything comes back around, even when it shouldn'tpost #3870 of 775311/20/11 at 10:21pm
Aaaaaaa....... Examples of what not to wear even if they are free? It could be out of desperation also. Because you fell asleep and forgot the wash your nice stuff.
Edited by skimalibu - 11/21/11 at 7:26am
- More Retro memories????
- Boot Fitting Terms And Glossary
- › Why is mogul skiing so difficult? 5 minutes ago
- › 2015 / 16 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke - Bring on El Nino! 21 minutes ago
- › Hip angulation -- PSIA technical manual 28 minutes ago
- › Booking Service - Snowventures 49 minutes ago
- › Off season metal detecting 1 hour, 17 minutes ago
- › More Retro memories???? 1 hour, 19 minutes ago
- › Research Dynamics Coyote Skis Brand New Still Wrapped Vintage 190cm 1 hour, 35 minutes ago
- › 2014 Nordica Enforcer Ti - STH14 - 185cm 2 hours, 3 minutes ago
- › Vintage Ski Pins 2 hours, 28 minutes ago
- › VOLKL ONE? Input // Mount Options 2 hours, 39 minutes ago
- › Whiteface/Lake Placid by tank8681
- › Burton Men's [Ak] 2L Cyclic Jacket, True Black, Large by comfortstarr
- › Big White by jhkc
- › 2015 Dynastar Powertrack 84 Skis by burndust
- › Holimont by burndust
- › Beech Mountain Resort by ChimneyRidgeTC
- › Snowbasin by janet123
- › 2015 Dynastar Powertrack 89 Skis (179) by graham418
- › 2013 Atomic Alibi Ski by ericgu
- › Whitefish Mountain Resort by focker
- › SkiEssentials.com - Salomon Ski Boots
- › SkiEssentials.com - 2017 Volkl RTM 86 UVO Review
- › SkiEssentials.com - 2017 Blizzard Brahma Review
- › Test Article Please Ignore
- › SkiEssentials.com - 2017 Rossignol Sky 7 HD...
- › SkiEssentials.com - 2017 Salomon QST 99 Review
- › SkiEssentials.com - 2017 Volkl Revolt Review
- › SkiEssentials.com - 2017 Rossignol Soul 7 HD...
- › SkiEssentials.com - Poc Helmets
- › SkiEssentials.com - 2016 Dynastar Powertrack...