that Lech picture is interesting. (I was there then also) back then the peaks in the background are just scenery. today you'd see bootpacks, skin tracks, and linked turns down the chutes.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAlpine Ski Bootstagged by System, 2/1/11
- categorySki Geartagged by System, 11/10/11
- topicSkiing Historytagged by System, 4/12/09
- categoryTelemark Ski Bootstagged by System, 2/1/11
- categoryWax Waxing Toolstagged by System, 9/14/09
- itemWinter Equinox - Reliving the 1974 Freestyle Skiing Pro Tourtagged by System, 10/30/11
Related Forum Threads
- Which DIY Liner Heat Molding Technique is Best? Last post on 11/16/11 at 1:21pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Binding adjustment to suit new boot length Last post on 11/9/11 at 4:45am in Ski Gear Discussion
- Ski purchasing advice Last post on 11/28/11 at 6:11pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- What is or was your all time favorite ski boot? Last post on 3/10/13 at 4:12pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Knee Bindings, 2011-2012, User Reviews Last post on 10/6/12 at 10:01am in Member Gear Reviews
Last edited: 4/27/11
- Boot Fitting Terms And GlossaryLast edited: 5/14/14
- Hot Dog...Return of Bobbie Burns and The SkiLast edited: 2/8/13
- Keep Your Feet WarmLast edited: 9/7/12
- Brief History Of Breckenridge By Lisa MercerLast edited: 4/26/11
Thredbo is almost exactly five and a half hours from Sydney (certainly not seven) including a short stop for fuel. Mind you it depends where you start from in Sydney; could be more, could be less....
I demoed the 176cm when these were first introduced. I got to ride them on mostly hard packed and icy conditions in New Hampshire. And they were solid. Much like most Blizzard skis, it offers their...
Product: 2014 K2 Remedy 102 Length Tested: 169 CM Dimensions/Turn Radius: 133/102/127 - 16M @ 169cm Camber : Camber with Tip/Tail Rocker Binding: Salomon Sth2 Mount point: Suggested Boot...
9yr old female review who has a 10, 7 & 3yr old brothers. Liked the part when they were lost, yet discovered the hidden bowl and where the ski Olympian gave Max the secret Gold Winchell's Wax....
Received these as a gift and intended to use them as a recreational boot. had them fit and dialed in at Squire John's in Collingwood Ontario. I have a very pronounced 6th toe and Taylor bunions...
More Retro memories???? - Page 129post #3841 of 639810/28/11 at 10:20am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3842 of 639810/30/11 at 6:27pmpost #3843 of 639810/30/11 at 6:30pmpost #3844 of 639810/30/11 at 8:04pmpost #3845 of 639810/31/11 at 9:26am
I'm not really certain it was ALWAYS looking like that. I can't figure that part of that hill being the bumps anyone would photograph, as they are not going to ski well (not inviting), even in context of those days, IMO. Lots of "wear and tear" from people not skiing them well, lots of skiers cutting across the fall line. I skied bumps at Stelvio back in the mid 60's, a ski area that in spring is just used by national teams in training, and the bumps were perfectly aligned, not cuts across the fall line at all. The better the skiers, all of them on the hill, the better the bumps is, I guess, what I'm saying, just to be a PIA.post #3846 of 639810/31/11 at 12:44pm
I admit to generalizing. I started skiing in 1972 and don't have a real memory of the moguls being any particular size or shape. Interesting what you say about the racers making perfectly aligned bumps though. I think the photographer picked that run specifically not to make the skiier look good but the low light angle making the bumps seem more dramatic than they are. The photographer got exactly what he was looking for, down to the yellow jacket.post #3847 of 639811/2/11 at 2:35pmpost #3848 of 639811/5/11 at 6:37am
A few more notes on ballet skis. Elan also made them (black and lime green).
I scored a pair of k2 244s to replace my beloved Harts. I found a huge stash of ballets in Germany, but shipping is prohibitively expensive given the ski prices. The k2s should do quite well with Salomon T12 bindings. Just lock'em down till they won't release during tip tricks!
LOL!post #3849 of 639811/7/11 at 7:39pmpost #3850 of 639811/7/11 at 7:42pmpost #3851 of 639811/7/11 at 7:45pmpost #3852 of 639811/7/11 at 10:35pm
In the mid 60's I had a long thong heel plate that was not a safety heel piece (it precedes rotomat above). It had a 'buckle' that wrapped around the heel of the soul, you snapped it shut pushing it toward the heel. No springs or cables. The leather long thong had a lot of racing vibe. And your contact with the ski was positive. The rotomat long thong heel does not have the panache', just doesn't. At that time, racing pants had a broad contrasting stripe down the side.
Note: when safety bindings had a clamp in front of the toe piece and a cable extending behind the heel, racers employed a better devise for positive contact with the ski. A plate was installed on the toe of the boot. The plate had a hole in the center that was aligned with a fixed horizontal pin on the ski. For the heel piece, D-rings were screwed to the sidewall of the ski next to the heel of the boot. A very long thong was wrapped three times around and through and the heel attachment was complete. TOTAL. It was, reasonably, called the suicide binding. "Oh, dad, please, can I have a suicide binding on my new skis? They are the coolest!" We had these in Alaska, late 50's. I don't know if they were ever used in Europe. anyone know?
Edited by davluri - 11/7/11 at 10:48pmpost #3853 of 639811/8/11 at 7:14ampost #3854 of 639811/8/11 at 2:10pm
I had this photo without the Sun Valley printed on it for years! I ripped it out of a calendar. Loved it. That's what I really loved about skiing back then. I always thought they were eastern bumps...hehe...
The multiple reproduction and angle doesn't do it justice.
Quote:post #3855 of 639811/10/11 at 9:46amThread Starterpost #3856 of 639811/12/11 at 6:13pmpost #3857 of 639811/12/11 at 6:17pmQuote:
yup, I had these 500's on my green Kazama's 70/71/72?post #3858 of 639811/13/11 at 3:20pmThread Starterpost #3859 of 639811/13/11 at 3:52pmpost #3860 of 639811/14/11 at 6:46pmpost #3861 of 639811/15/11 at 6:57amThread Starterpost #3862 of 639811/15/11 at 3:49pmThread Starterpost #3863 of 639811/16/11 at 10:57ampost #3864 of 639811/18/11 at 1:59pmpost #3865 of 639811/18/11 at 2:08pmpost #3866 of 639811/18/11 at 2:41pmThread Starterpost #3867 of 639811/18/11 at 7:01pmpost #3868 of 639811/20/11 at 6:39pmpost #3869 of 639811/20/11 at 6:46pm
Everything comes back around, even when it shouldn'tpost #3870 of 639811/20/11 at 10:21pm
Aaaaaaa....... Examples of what not to wear even if they are free? It could be out of desperation also. Because you fell asleep and forgot the wash your nice stuff.
Edited by skimalibu - 11/21/11 at 7:26am
- More Retro memories????
- Boot Fitting Terms And Glossary
- › In Other Utah News... 2 minutes ago
- › The more you think the worse you ski? 4 minutes ago
- › Line p90 are too much for me? 5 minutes ago
- › Lesson learned 27 minutes ago
- › The Summer of 2014 Bike Stoke thread. 31 minutes ago
- › Winter World Masters Games 2015 moved to Quebec City 31 minutes ago
- › New Chief Moderator TheRusty 32 minutes ago
- › Ski Trip Ideas for Dec 6-15 37 minutes ago
- › Clip vs No Clip 57 minutes ago
- › The 2015 Jackson Hole Gathering discussion thread 1 hour, 8 minutes ago
- › Thredbo Ski Resort by sinbad7
- › 2015 Blizzard Regulator Skis by douismaximus
- › 2014 K2 Remedy 102 Women Ski by Trekchick
- › The Little Rippers by rskornak
- › 2013 Salomon X Max 130 by Speeder
- › Deer Valley Resort by peter60521
- › 2015 Descente Kensie Jacket by Trekchick
- › 2015 Descente Cora Jacket by Trekchick
- › 2015 Blizzard Sheeva Skis by Trekchick
- › Elk Mountain (Ski Resort) by CharlieRN
- › About Those German Trail Names at Taos
- › EpicSki Instructor And Coach Listing - New York
- › SUN PEAKS RESORT unofficial guide
- › Unofficial Guide to Castle Mountain Resort
- › Our Final Analysis: 5 Conclusions From Our...
- › Your Life as a Skier: Our Community Ski Area...
- › Professional Ski Instructors: Mixing Fun With...
- › Ways To Stay Ski Fit
- › Picture Frame Drill
- › Tug of War Drill