that Lech picture is interesting. (I was there then also) back then the peaks in the background are just scenery. today you'd see bootpacks, skin tracks, and linked turns down the chutes.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAlpine Ski Bootstagged by System, 2/1/11
- categorySki Geartagged by System, 11/10/11
- topicSkiing Historytagged by System, 4/12/09
- categoryTelemark Ski Bootstagged by System, 2/1/11
- categoryWax Waxing Toolstagged by System, 9/14/09
- itemWinter Equinox - Reliving the 1974 Freestyle Skiing Pro Tourtagged by System, 10/30/11
Related Forum Threads
- Which DIY Liner Heat Molding Technique is Best? Last post on 11/16/11 at 1:21pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Binding adjustment to suit new boot length Last post on 11/9/11 at 4:45am in Ski Gear Discussion
- Ski purchasing advice Last post on 11/28/11 at 6:11pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- What is or was your all time favorite ski boot? Last post on 3/10/13 at 4:12pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Knee Bindings, 2011-2012, User Reviews Last post on 10/6/12 at 10:01am in Member Gear Reviews
Last edited: 4/27/11
- Boot Fitting Terms And GlossaryLast edited: 4/19/11
- Hot Dog...Return of Bobbie Burns and The SkiLast edited: 2/8/13
- Keep Your Feet WarmLast edited: 9/7/12
- Brief History Of Breckenridge By Lisa MercerLast edited: 4/26/11
I bought perhaps the last one on the planet. It is a fantastic jacket. Just arrived today and !@#$!#% it is too big. It fits, but ideally I need a Medium and there are no Daltons in this...
Tester Info: Trekchick Age: 47 Glove/Mitten size: 7(Hestra) M (Kombi) Product Tested: Fired Up Women's Heated Glove Size Tested: Women's Large Conditions of Test: Variety of...
My first run on these was the last day of skiing at Copper Mountain in 2013... 14 inches new...down snow covered bumps on Far East. Really liked how easy it was to engage a turn...how...
the resort was open for 99 days of skiing this season.
Here's my review for the entire Salomon Q Series
More Retro memories???? - Page 129post #3841 of 625810/28/11 at 10:20am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3842 of 625810/30/11 at 6:27pmpost #3843 of 625810/30/11 at 6:30pmpost #3844 of 625810/30/11 at 8:04pmpost #3845 of 625810/31/11 at 9:26am
I'm not really certain it was ALWAYS looking like that. I can't figure that part of that hill being the bumps anyone would photograph, as they are not going to ski well (not inviting), even in context of those days, IMO. Lots of "wear and tear" from people not skiing them well, lots of skiers cutting across the fall line. I skied bumps at Stelvio back in the mid 60's, a ski area that in spring is just used by national teams in training, and the bumps were perfectly aligned, not cuts across the fall line at all. The better the skiers, all of them on the hill, the better the bumps is, I guess, what I'm saying, just to be a PIA.post #3846 of 625810/31/11 at 12:44pm
I admit to generalizing. I started skiing in 1972 and don't have a real memory of the moguls being any particular size or shape. Interesting what you say about the racers making perfectly aligned bumps though. I think the photographer picked that run specifically not to make the skiier look good but the low light angle making the bumps seem more dramatic than they are. The photographer got exactly what he was looking for, down to the yellow jacket.post #3847 of 625811/2/11 at 2:35pmpost #3848 of 625811/5/11 at 6:37am
A few more notes on ballet skis. Elan also made them (black and lime green).
I scored a pair of k2 244s to replace my beloved Harts. I found a huge stash of ballets in Germany, but shipping is prohibitively expensive given the ski prices. The k2s should do quite well with Salomon T12 bindings. Just lock'em down till they won't release during tip tricks!
LOL!post #3849 of 625811/7/11 at 7:39pmpost #3850 of 625811/7/11 at 7:42pmpost #3851 of 625811/7/11 at 7:45pmpost #3852 of 625811/7/11 at 10:35pm
In the mid 60's I had a long thong heel plate that was not a safety heel piece (it precedes rotomat above). It had a 'buckle' that wrapped around the heel of the soul, you snapped it shut pushing it toward the heel. No springs or cables. The leather long thong had a lot of racing vibe. And your contact with the ski was positive. The rotomat long thong heel does not have the panache', just doesn't. At that time, racing pants had a broad contrasting stripe down the side.
Note: when safety bindings had a clamp in front of the toe piece and a cable extending behind the heel, racers employed a better devise for positive contact with the ski. A plate was installed on the toe of the boot. The plate had a hole in the center that was aligned with a fixed horizontal pin on the ski. For the heel piece, D-rings were screwed to the sidewall of the ski next to the heel of the boot. A very long thong was wrapped three times around and through and the heel attachment was complete. TOTAL. It was, reasonably, called the suicide binding. "Oh, dad, please, can I have a suicide binding on my new skis? They are the coolest!" We had these in Alaska, late 50's. I don't know if they were ever used in Europe. anyone know?
Edited by davluri - 11/7/11 at 10:48pmpost #3853 of 625811/8/11 at 7:14ampost #3854 of 625811/8/11 at 2:10pm
I had this photo without the Sun Valley printed on it for years! I ripped it out of a calendar. Loved it. That's what I really loved about skiing back then. I always thought they were eastern bumps...hehe...
The multiple reproduction and angle doesn't do it justice.
Quote:post #3855 of 625811/10/11 at 9:46amThread Starterpost #3856 of 625811/12/11 at 6:13pmpost #3857 of 625811/12/11 at 6:17pmQuote:
yup, I had these 500's on my green Kazama's 70/71/72?post #3858 of 625811/13/11 at 3:20pmThread Starterpost #3859 of 625811/13/11 at 3:52pmpost #3860 of 625811/14/11 at 6:46pmpost #3861 of 625811/15/11 at 6:57amThread Starterpost #3862 of 625811/15/11 at 3:49pmThread Starterpost #3863 of 625811/16/11 at 10:57ampost #3864 of 625811/18/11 at 1:59pmpost #3865 of 625811/18/11 at 2:08pmpost #3866 of 625811/18/11 at 2:41pmThread Starterpost #3867 of 625811/18/11 at 7:01pmpost #3868 of 625811/20/11 at 6:39pmpost #3869 of 625811/20/11 at 6:46pm
Everything comes back around, even when it shouldn'tpost #3870 of 625811/20/11 at 10:21pm
Aaaaaaa....... Examples of what not to wear even if they are free? It could be out of desperation also. Because you fell asleep and forgot the wash your nice stuff.
Edited by skimalibu - 11/21/11 at 7:26am
- More Retro memories????
- Boot Fitting Terms And Glossary
- › What is an Expert? The "If you can game...." 8 minutes ago
- › More Retro memories???? 16 minutes ago
- › I now know why there is western Bias towards skinny skis. 16 minutes ago
- › Adding cuff alignment adjuster to boot without one 17 minutes ago
- › Squaw Valley:Help Decide Its Future 18 minutes ago
- › What, no hockey fans? 20 minutes ago
- › Preview (teasers) of the Preview of 2015 gear 28 minutes ago
- › When did Ski Reality become Irrelevant? 37 minutes ago
- › Looking for a lady all-mountain carver 43 minutes ago
- › Jackson Hole Landslide Video 5/23/2011 44 minutes ago
- › 2012 Powderhorn Dalton Jkt by borderland
- › Fired Up Extreme Gear Women's Heated Glove by Trekchick
- › 2012 K2 ObSETHed by skiman19
- › Mad River Mountain by levy1
- › 2014 Salomon Quest Q 105 Ski by Fritzski
- › 2014 Salomon Quest Q 98 Ski by Fritzski
- › 2014 Salomon Quest Q 90 Ski by Fritzski
- › Taos Ski Valley by dr4GS
- › Snowbird by dr4GS
- › Whitefish Mountain Resort by SlowObstacle
- › Professional Ski Instructors: Mixing Fun With... by ERVTravelIns
- › Ways To Stay Ski Fit by ERVTravelIns
- › Picture Frame Drill by TheRusty
- › Tug of War Drill by TheRusty
- › Vibration Damping and Skis by SandwichTech
- › Learning To Ski As An Adult by ERVTravelIns
- › When did Ski Reality become Irrelevant? by Fritzski
- › 10 Cool Ski & Snowboard Kickstarter Projects by ERVTravelIns
- › Want to Win Free Stuff? Answer our Community... by skiessentials
- › Snowboarding or Skiing – Which is... by ERVTravelIns