or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › More Retro memories????
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

More Retro memories???? - Page 85

post #2521 of 7931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdogskier View Post




Maybe I shouldn't have spoken without checking the lair.  Turns out, my 610s are 190s and 200s, but I have passed over a few short pair in my travels, when I have had limited carry-on.  910s would be nice, to complete the set! 


I am sorry, but the only period binding that is acceptable for a K2 Comp series is a Marker Rotamat, not Look N77, Salomon 727 or Tyrolia 360D. 
post #2522 of 7931
LOOK ad from SKIING Nov. 1993.

post #2523 of 7931
Snowdogskier -

Do you know the history of the commemorative skis you have?  They are K2 Mods made as the last run at the K2 Vashon Island factory before they tore it apart and shipped the machinery to China. 
post #2524 of 7931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post




I am sorry, but the only period binding that is acceptable for a K2 Comp series is a Marker Rotamat, not Look N77, Salomon 727 or Tyrolia 360D. 
Sorry, I didn't mount 'em that way.  Dance with the one you brung, I figure.  That's the way I found them.

Funny you should mention it, though, as I intentionally composed the last of the three Comp shots as a 'Philpug shot', with the bindings in full display.  As much as I like bindings, being rather essential to the sport of skiing, I don't have nearly the attraction to specific models or brands that you, and some others (MasterRacer), do.  Sure, I appreciate the '60's aerodynamic jet-streamed look of the original Rotomat toe-pieces, the crappy plate-steel toe of the early Tyrolias and the piston-shaped original steel Nevadas, but after that, they are just variations on a theme to me. 

Okay, so I never liked Salomons, but that's probably due to a basic dislike for big industry in general.  Or, for that matter, the Rossi 4S/4K/7S etc series of skis (biggest selling series of skis ever, I am told), but I digress. 

Give me a Spademan, Burt, Allsop, or Nava anyday.  Now, that was experimentation!  Sure, they didn't work, but man, they created some excitement.

I could argue that the (unplanned) pre-release function of Spademans saved my knees during years of adolescent bump-bashing, allowing me to tour and rip around extensively as a 'mature' adult now, but that wasn't so much a function of design than of just dumb luck.  Otherwise, a binding is a binding is a binding.

Just my thoughts.  Glad you rose to the bait.
SD
post #2525 of 7931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post

Snowdogskier -

Do you know the history of the commemorative skis you have?  They are K2 Mods made as the last run at the K2 Vashon Island factory before they tore it apart and shipped the machinery to China. 
 
Yes, I had read that before I bought them off eBay, but the seller himself didn't know much about them.  It would be interesting to find out how many were made, and how they were distributed (employees only?).
I am not sure that I would have honoured some of the skis given credit on this last run of skis (Gyrator, Fat Bob, 5500, JuJu, Zepelin, Dart, 225 Mid ??), but it would be nice to know their thinking.  Do you know, or have any contact with the people there at the time?
Just wondering.

I also have a pair of Bill Kirshner (one of the two Kirshner brothers making up 'K2') commemorative skis, from the mid-late 80's, it would appear.  I forgot to take a picture the other day. 

Thanks
SD
post #2526 of 7931
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdogskier View Post




  Otherwise, a binding is a binding is a binding.


SD
 

  
post #2527 of 7931
Snowdogskier -

I read an article in one of the Seattle papers about the closing of the Vashon Island factory.  It mentioned the last run being a grass-roots idea initiated by the employees.  The design was done in-house on Vashon Island.  The skis went to current employees, retired employees and select reps/friends of K2 through the years.

I bought a pair off eBay because they were a cheap price for a pair of Mods, which at the time was a great intermediate all-mountain ski.  When they arrived I couldn't mount them up because of all the fond memories they brought back.
post #2528 of 7931
I know it's not retro, but here's a new commerative ski from K2 on McConkey:
http://www.powdermag.com/features/news/qa-w-mcconkey-ski-artist-ryan-schmies/

In other news....
This may be the most viewed thread on epicski ever.
Rightnow it's 88,655 views. In about a year and a half.
Of course it's probably only 200 nut jobs!
Rossi, I knew you were trouble when you showed up!
post #2529 of 7931
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

I know it's not retro, but here's a new commerative ski from K2 on McConkey:
http://www.powdermag.com/features/news/qa-w-mcconkey-ski-artist-ryan-schmies/

In other news....
This may be the most viewed thread on epicski ever.
Rightnow it's 88,655 views. In about a year and a half.
Of course it's probably only 200 nut jobs!
Rossi, I knew you were trouble when you showed up!
 

Thanks to all my fellow nut jobs for making this all possible!    

Let's see how far we can ride the Retro wave (or until the Huddler team says "uncle")
post #2530 of 7931
Speakin' of nut jobs...

Hey! I resemble that remark.

I was skiing at Loveland today on my 'the CLAW' (a review will be posted later and elsewhere), I noticed these racks of skis kind of hiding around the 'rope storage' buildings at the base of Lift 1













Who has ever heard of the HEAD 320 YANKEE?
post #2531 of 7931
Doug -

Think you can get your truck backed up to those? 
post #2532 of 7931
post #2533 of 7931
Thread Starter 
This from TIME magazine, Jan. 6, 1967

" This year's hottest conversation piece is the new Head 360 ski ($148.50). Designed for the advanced intermediate, it is wider than Head's racing model and has a shallower center groove, so that it turns more easily, and has become known overnight as "the forgiving ski." "Already it's our bestseller," says Head Ski Co.'s Mike Erickson. "We're plumb out of stock, and we're back-ordered until early February."


That's about $950 in 2009 dollars fwiw....
post #2534 of 7931

I don't know but I'd consider a 360, or even at 720 (after a few 360s) but a 320 just sounds like it'd hurt.

That was fast eBaying, slider. Its a shame the shipping of skis is so expensive relative to what I'd pay for the skis. I did get a good deal the time I bought skis on eBay, though. Outside eBay I arranged to send boxes and return shipping to a guy for my Garmount Ultra-Lites, Oline Mark III, Burt 1s and Scott poles. About $35.00 round trip.

A pair of YANKEEs would be pretty cool for a NH boy like me, though. Think he'd go for $1.00 on Best Offer?
post #2535 of 7931
Slider,

I was just scanning your profile. How did those woodies from Wastach Lightning work out for you?

MR
post #2536 of 7931
I know the following may be painful to some of you. This was photographed (barely, sorry about the cell phone pictures) in a client's foyer.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


post #2537 of 7931
The woodies are fun and take you back to when skiers were outdoorsmen. 
I have had 360 standards,deep powder and Killy models. They truly were a great ski in their day,  I haven't seen any old Heads in the liftlines in years. Hope your season has or will start soon.
post #2538 of 7931
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersRacer View Post

Speakin' of nut jobs...

Hey! I resemble that remark.

I was skiing at Loveland today on my 'the CLAW' (a review will be posted later and elsewhere), I noticed these racks of skis kind of hiding around the 'rope storage' buildings at the base of Lift 1













Who has ever heard of the HEAD 320 YANKEE?
Dunno about a 320 Yankee, but my first skis were Head 320's, circa 1970. They had yellow markings instead of blue. After about a season and a half I upgraded to 720's.
post #2539 of 7931


 Proper period bindings for the K2's. Thanks Mack for the additions. 
post #2540 of 7931
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersRacer View Post

Speakin' of nut jobs...

Hey! I resemble that remark.

I was skiing at Loveland today on my 'the CLAW' (a review will be posted later and elsewhere), I noticed these racks of skis kind of hiding around the 'rope storage' buildings at the base of Lift 1





 
Ok, is someone now going to plan a mission to Loveland?
Those skis might need rescuing.
Rossi, how many frequent flier points you got?

btw, the bright yellow/gray K2 Merlin VI does not belong in that group ^^, also I think there's like a Merlin IV too that would be the same era - probably '98 or '99.
post #2541 of 7931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post



 Proper period bindings for the K2's. Thanks Mack for the additions. 

Hey, where are your 'period correct' safety straps on the 2 pair of Comps?
 

That is an abomination!


(Unless this is a simply a work in progress, and you just haven't gotten there, yet.)
SD

post #2542 of 7931
The Comps were '77 or '78-ish, well into the era when bindings were equipped with integrated brakes. Mine have period-correct 727's on them.

But I see Phil's have neither straps nor brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdogskier View Post



Hey, where are your 'period correct' safety straps on the 2 pair of Comps?
 

That is an abomination!


(Unless this is a simply a work in progress, and you just haven't gotten there, yet.)
SD

post #2543 of 7931


Phil your K2 comps are awesome!

The 910's  are 223.  1980.

Thanks Mack

post #2544 of 7931
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post



 Proper period bindings for the K2's. Thanks Mack for the additions. 

Philpug...I told you Mack would take care of you! I don't know exactly how he does it, but he always does!  

They do look great! Now, question is, which pair is coming north for some snow time next month?
post #2545 of 7931
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackware View Post



Phil your K2 comps are awesome!

The 910's  are 223.  1980.

Thanks Mack


 

Mack....I like the tip profile on your 910's. They look like they mean business!  

Thanks for ALL your help with the gear, I couldn't do it without you .
post #2546 of 7931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackware View Post







 

Mack,

I thought my 910's were rare, but 910-FO's wow.

I see there is race flex info between the toe and heels, can you either take a picture of that or post what the date, flex, and sig are? 
post #2547 of 7931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrison Claystone View Post


The Comps were '77 or '78-ish, well into the era when bindings were equipped with integrated brakes. Mine have period-correct 727's on them.

But I see Phil's have neither straps nor brakes.


 
I just put the bindings in place to show them, I do have brakes for the M30 Rotamats. As far as "period specific", yes your 727's are from the time, but anyone worth their salt used Markers on these skis, NOT Salomon, Look or Tyrolia. Thats what Phil and Steve did and it worked pretty well for them. 
post #2548 of 7931
I understand what you're saying about what is the proper binding for the ski. I just have this right-brained compulsion that sometimes makes me do things differently, which is how I ended up with a 163 cm Mojo 80 as my primary ski. That and I lost my job before I could buy a more appropriate "daily driver". Anyway, the 727 at the time seemed like a good follow-up to the 502/505's on my other skis. I suppose my Red Stars should have had Geze's on them or something. Oh, well.

I gotta say that the Millers on my stepdad's Javelins were just so wrong, and I seemed to know that even as a newby skier at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post



I just put the bindings in place to show them, I do have brakes for the M30 Rotamats. As far as "period specific", yes your 727's are from the time, but anyone worth their salt used Markers on these skis, NOT Salomon, Look or Tyrolia. Thats what Phil and Steve did and it worked pretty well for them. 
 
post #2549 of 7931
Thread Starter 
Early Head Competition SL
Anyone fine tune the year in the mid to late 60's?


post #2550 of 7931
Thought you guys might need a refresher course....

Straight:
"Required a lot of technique and took many years....all very complicated"

"The shape skis basically know how to ski themselves"   (really, I didn't make that up)



See, y'all claim to be for an era of simplicity, but that video taught me that really, you're more complicated. I guess it does mean you have "perfect timing" to be able to ski a straight ski. I'm not sure how he's defining "ski". Where's Clinton?...
Edited by Tog - 11/12/09 at 11:09am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › More Retro memories????