EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › When to tune - start/end of season ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

When to tune - start/end of season ?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Sorry about this newbie question but I'm not even sure what keyword to sort for

As the title says - should I do it now or wait till start of next season?
I think its better to do it now as this will avoid dryness on the surface which may lead to material changes, cracks, ... Does this thought make sense?

thanks!
post #2 of 15
I tune at the end of the season. Full edge and base tune, then soak em down with base prep and or storage wax. Next fall I will hot scrape the base prep off and start layering in my waxes as we get close to opening day.

I'm sure there are pro's and con's to either, but to me giving them a good solid coat of wax to prevent any oxidation is cheap insurance.
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJB View Post
I tune at the end of the season. Full edge and base tune, then soak em down with base prep and or storage wax. Next fall I will hot scrape the base prep off and start layering in my waxes as we get close to opening day.

I'm sure there are pro's and con's to either, but to me giving them a good solid coat of wax to prevent any oxidation is cheap insurance.
Thanks for the thoughts... looks like I should have them tuned before putting them away then Still hoping for 2-3 more days though before the season's over
post #4 of 15
Another advantage to doing the tuning now, is your head is in it right now and you are in the mode. You can get things dialed now and carry that into next season. Next fall things will be a little fogging and you'll be ready to go with little prep.

Ideally, store them in a cool and dry space out of sunlight.
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobieboy View Post
Thanks for the thoughts... looks like I should have them tuned before putting them away then.

If you are having the work done, ask the shop not to scrape the wax for storage protection over the summer months, then do it yourself just before next season.
post #6 of 15
Tune them now. Ski more this season if you want. Before you put them away for the summer tune them and have a good coat of yellow wax put on them don't scrape them. Turn the din's down to the lowest setting and store them base up on 2x4's in a warm dry place.

I've been doing that for years.
post #7 of 15
Ever notice that smooth metal doesn't rust as fast as rough metal? I've found that by tuning up my edges before I put them in storage I never get any rust. Lathering the edges in wax helps, also.
post #8 of 15
Wow I can believe that so many people take such good care of the skis.
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg97 View Post
Wow I can believe that so many people take such good care of the skis.

Think about it, how much do they take care of you ?

It's a direct payback. Keep them tuned and they become your best buddy's. Think about how good a well tuned ski feels, how much performance/enjoyment you get from them.

Isn't that what life is about ?
post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Capacity View Post
store them base up on 2x4's in a warm dry place.
Base up = the base facing the sky? For space reasons, is it ok to store them vertically?

thanks!
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Capacity View Post
Think about it, how much do they take care of you ?

It's a direct payback. Keep them tuned and they become your best buddy's. Think about how good a well tuned ski feels, how much performance/enjoyment you get from them.

Isn't that what life is about ?
Ahh I can see your point but I really don't care. I beat the shi% out of my skis and only fix core shots. Maybe get them tuned once a year. If your skis look pretty you should find a new hobby
post #12 of 15
Let us know how your car runs after not changing the oil for 50,000 miles.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg97 View Post
Ahh I can see your point but I really don't care. I beat the shi% out of my skis and only fix core shots. Maybe get them tuned once a year. If your skis look pretty you should find a new hobby

I see your new here. Don't worry, my AC4's have about 120 day's on them with may be 2 stone grinds. The p-tex is messed but the edges are sharp. My AC40's have almost 30 day's on them and have less then perfect p-tex. It's not about perfect bases it's about sharp edges and good wax.


hobieboy, store them flat if possible, as the bases get warm during the summer heat the pores will open and take in wax.

It's not that important but it can't hurt.
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
Let us know how your car runs after not changing the oil for 50,000 miles.
My cars look better then the day I bought them
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post
Ever notice that smooth metal doesn't rust as fast as rough metal? I've found that by tuning up my edges before I put them in storage I never get any rust. Lathering the edges in wax helps, also.
That is because of the greater surface area in the rough metal; the jagged bits on the surface are structurally weakened and serve as points of attack for oxidation.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › When to tune - start/end of season ?