or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

K2+Look+Lange package

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
hey everyone
I'm planning to demo for the first time because this is the setup that I would like to buy. I'm about 119-121 pounds and around 5'6". I have been skiing on rentals for my whole life and I wanted to get some skis for myself. I'm also trying to get into park/pipe skiing as well as skiing on the whole mountain too.
I would consider myself a good enough skier to ski the whole mountain. The main difference on my options of skis is whether or not i should go 159, or 164. I am still growing as I'm only 17.

Skis:
2007 K2 Public Enemies? (i can get these newfor about $250 only in 159)
OR
2008 K2 Public Enemies?(these would be $300 new, but in 159,164, 169)

Boots:
2007 Lange Fluid 90s (will cost around $180)
OR
Nordica Beast 10s- I don't know what year, but my friend recommended it to me because he was them as well and he says they are really good boots.

Bindings:
Look/Dynastar PX 12 Jib ski bindings(80mm) (around $180 for me)-but they just sold out of these at the place I was gonna buy them at.
OR
LookDynastar PX 12 Jib Wide ski bindings (100mm) (around $180, but not sold out) --whats the difference between the 80mm and the 100mm?

if you guys could comment on what you think about my package that I'm going to demo and hopefully buy, thanks.
any recomendations would be appreciated as well
post #2 of 7
For skis, I'd say go for the 164s.

The boots you mention are pretty different in terms of foot shape and last width, so I'd recommend that you broaden your search and try out more than 2 boots. This would be the weak point in your package right now, as boots are the most important part of the ski/boot/binding trio. It may seem silly because no one really looks at what pimpin' boots you're running, but try to budget twice as much money for boots than for skis. Your skiing will thank you.

Both the bindings you mention are great, but you should get the 100mm brake for the Enemies, as I believe they're around 86mm underfoot. You could bend the 80mm brakes to fit, there shouldn't be a problem running a bigger brake.
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobatt View Post
For skis, I'd say go for the 164s.

The boots you mention are pretty different in terms of foot shape and last width, so I'd recommend that you broaden your search and try out more than 2 boots. This would be the weak point in your package right now, as boots are the most important part of the ski/boot/binding trio. It may seem silly because no one really looks at what pimpin' boots you're running, but try to budget twice as much money for boots than for skis. Your skiing will thank you.

Both the bindings you mention are great, but you should get the 100mm brake for the Enemies, as I believe they're around 86mm underfoot. You could bend the 80mm brakes to fit, there shouldn't be a problem running a bigger brake.
So you're saying my boots should run around $300 dollars? not $180?
i think i've got it for the skis, but got the boots are what i really need help on. anything you recommend to go with boots?
and when you try out boots, the only way to really try them out is to take em on the run? but most shops don't let you try out boots, would they?
im located in northern california and ski up near tahoe area.
and what did you mean by 86mm underfoot? im not really familiar with these kind of terms
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfshoes View Post
So you're saying my boots should run around $300 dollars? not $180?
Nope, he's saying you should be prepared to spend more on boots than skis, to get a boot that is fitted to you, and has the right flex. Poke around in the equipment or bootfitting discussions here and you'll find "FAQ" or "sticky" posts on what to look for in boots. Bottom line is brands don't matter, fit and flex matters; your budget should be weighted toward getting a pair of boots that fits well and functions well for your weight, strength, and style of skiing. Price could be $300, could be $180 - who knows, go to a shop where you can get good service. Good news for you is it's the end of the season and you'll find reasonable prices. Not rock bottom internet/ebay prices, but reasonable. And you'll get the pair that fits. Rock bottom interweb purchase is only if you absolutely know what you need (e.g., an identical replacement pair after your perfectly fitted boot melts down from 100+ days skiing); otherwise you're likely to purchase a bargain which you can never use, in which case the $180 boot is not much of a bargain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfshoes View Post
i think i've got it for the skis, but got the boots are what i really need help on. anything you recommend to go with boots?
and when you try out boots, the only way to really try them out is to take em on the run? but most shops don't let you try out boots, would they?
im located in northern california and ski up near tahoe area.
Again, see the first three "sticky" threads here: http://forums.epicski.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfshoes View Post
and what did you mean by 86mm underfoot? im not really familiar with these kind of terms
Refers to waist width of skis. I.e., if tip/waist/tail measurements in mm are 120/86/104, it is 86mm underfoot. Bindings come with different width brakes to fit narrower or wider skis; brakes should be wider than waist width of skis. Some narrow brakes can be bent a few mm to go wider than stated range. So maybe 80mm brakes could fit 86mm ski if you have a willing and able shop tech, but easier to get brakes wide enough to start with.
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
thanks very much.
i just got smoe 2004-05 used public enemies that were mounted w/ rossignol 100 bindings. then i went to several stores, and got the nordica BSX, but i really wanted the Nordica GTS 8s, but my parents didn't want to pay so much for it..the BSX were said to be softer and the GTS 8s were said to be more stiff.
anyhow, i got the used PE 04-05 w/ rossignol 100 bindings for $200. and the nordica BSX for $100.
thanks
post #6 of 7
Have fun, don't think twice -- if the boot fits, wear it!
post #7 of 7
Yep, and even though the BSX is a pretty soft boot, I doubt that you'll be able to over drive it, especially at 120ish pounds. Even then, softer boots are good for park skiing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Gear Reviews