EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Best Carver in the Bumps?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Carver in the Bumps? - Page 2

post #31 of 44
Another possibility....the ski of Janne Lahtela.....one of the best ever

http://www.idoneski.com/mre.html


http://www.skidebosses.com/2004/videos/cm02/cm02_1h.wmv
post #32 of 44
Thread Starter 
Actually, if the Hart F17 or Rossi Scratch Mogul work on the rest of the stuff, I would probably go with one of them. R@17 seems like they'd be fun everywhere. Anybody here ski either model?
post #33 of 44
I have Rossi mogul...great ski in the bumps.....really quick and great hold on hard snow too.......just don't ski enough to handle it in cut up crud, powder,etc.......my big stix are good enough in soft bumps and just make deep sno so much easier.......
post #34 of 44
Hart F17 have always been the bomb for a bump ski.....I'd try them
post #35 of 44
Thread Starter 
The rossi's seam hard to find. Will they make them for the 08-09 season?
post #36 of 44
I'm a little late to this party, but...
I skied K2 PEs in the bumps for a week in Utah and I wasn't too impressed. The 85 width is pretty clumsy. My buddy demoed some Rossi Bandit 74 which were very nice for a non bump specific ski - felt like a scalpel compared to the butter knife like PE. I myself have since sold the PEs and bought some Cabrawlers - yet to be mounted/skied.
post #37 of 44
Thread Starter 
Back to carvers in the bumps. It seems that the nature of a carver makes it unsuitable for zipper-line mogul skiing. Am I wrong to think that if I want an "all-mountain" ski that'll survive some mogul skiing, I should look for one that is softer in the shovel and and tail?
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by peobus View Post
Back to carvers in the bumps. It seems that the nature of a carver makes it unsuitable for zipper-line mogul skiing. Am I wrong to think that if I want an "all-mountain" ski that'll survive some mogul skiing, I should look for one that is softer in the shovel and and tail?
Carver skis are designed to be engaged through all three phases of the turn, making long, clean arcs on groomed slopes. A bump ski essentially only makes the last phase of the turn, over and over...

Go with a skinny, soft, light, straight, directional ski for bumps.
post #39 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
Carver skis are designed to be engaged through all three phases of the turn, making long, clean arcs on groomed slopes. A bump ski essentially only makes the last phase of the turn, over and over...

Go with a skinny, soft, light, straight, directional ski for bumps.
So, pick a bump ski and carry a carver, too?
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by peobus View Post
So, pick a bump ski and carry a carver, too?
That's what I am doing now. My bump skiing is much better after I added a pair of Cabrawler to the quiver. I now ski nothing but bumps on days with the Cabrawler and use a pair of Speedwave 14 on days that I don't ski bumps.
post #41 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmdoug View Post
I'm a little late to this party, but...
I skied K2 PEs in the bumps for a week in Utah and I wasn't too impressed. The 85 width is pretty clumsy. My buddy demoed some Rossi Bandit 74 which were very nice for a non bump specific ski - felt like a scalpel compared to the butter knife like PE. I myself have since sold the PEs and bought some Cabrawlers - yet to be mounted/skied.
Yeah, everyone talks about the PEs being really good bump skis, and I sure wouldn't say they're bad. But when comparing them to a bump ski.... well the scalpel/butter knife analogy is pretty apt.

Dude get those Cabrawlers mounted up, I'll bet you dig 'em.
post #42 of 44
I definitely find width to be a detriment in bumps. The PEs are good for their width, but I have a much easier time on my narrower skis. Surprisingly, my RX-9s are amongst the easiest skis I own to ski through bumps. These are borderline carver skis and biased to hard snow, but don't have quite the sidecut of a true carver. They just happen to skid real nicely and the 70mm waist makes them very graceful underfoot in tight spaces.
post #43 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
I definitely find width to be a detriment in bumps. The PEs are good for their width, but I have a much easier time on my narrower skis. Surprisingly, my RX-9s are amongst the easiest skis I own to ski through bumps. These are borderline carver skis and biased to hard snow, but don't have quite the sidecut of a true carver. They just happen to skid real nicely and the 70mm waist makes them very graceful underfoot in tight spaces.
That's what I found with the RX6's. Narrow, but made more forgiving (less ski) for an intermediate I guess. The flex is right on these but the side cut just a bit too pronounced.
post #44 of 44
Thread Starter 
So, I go to my local ski retailer and tell him (a guy I respect) I'm looking for something for bumps, basically stating everything we've been discussing here.

He suggests Stöckli Stormriders at 170. You see, I can go into the trees with them, too.

I'm 6' and 195#'s.

Now what?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Best Carver in the Bumps?