or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

164 Bro

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
haha..yes.

regarding the 164 Bro's....sure...maybe...depending on your height/weight, where & what you normally ski, etc. Shoot me off a PM so we don't derail this thread.
Or better yet, start a thread. I'm really interested in the answer to this and the feedback from those who may own them.
OK here we go,

I am 25, athletic, 5'7 155 and an agressive skier. Is there ANY reason that I would want to consider a 164 BRO for next season? Are these skis made just for smaller people/women, or am I missing something? Thanks! :
post #2 of 12
I'm glad you asked this question. I recently went through the dilemma of deciding between the 164 and the 174, Standard or soft.
I ended up going with the 174 Soft, which I JUST had delivered. I'm fairly excited to take them out on the maiden voyage.

I'm 5'6" 125 lbs, and fairly athletic, with strong legs.
This is how they line up with a couple of my other skis.
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
I'm glad you asked this question. I recently went through the dilemma of deciding between the 164 and the 174, Standard or soft.
I ended up going with the 174 Soft, which I JUST had delivered. I'm fairly excited to take them out on the maiden voyage.

I'm 5'6" 125 lbs, and fairly athletic, with strong legs.
This is how they line up with a couple of my other skis.
TC, you been hanging with the big dogs too much.

Those things are going to kick your butt.
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
OK here we go,

I am 25, athletic, 5'7 155 and an agressive skier. Is there ANY reason that I would want to consider a 164 BRO for next season? Are these skis made just for smaller people/women, or am I missing something? Thanks! :
Hey Jay - I think if you were to consider a Bro, I would go with the 174 given your specs. Although very capable, the 164 might be a bit undergunned for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
I ended up going with the 174 Soft, which I JUST had delivered. I'm fairly excited to take them out on the maiden voyage.
Nice. When do you think you'll be getting them out. Any trips out west planned?
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
TC, you been hanging with the big dogs too much.

Those things are going to kick your butt.
I'm counting on it!!:
Wanna be my official videographer, for my Bro Butt Whoopin!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post



Nice. When do you think you'll be getting them out. Any trips out west planned?
Taking them for a spin on the local hills in a couple days, then a Trip to Colorado planned for the 28th of this month.
blkyn is planning on hooking up with me at Abasin!
post #6 of 12
Jaypowhound, What has you thinking 164?
Your size and ski ability as you state are screaming 174, but there could be reasons you may want the 164. Is there something special application you have in mind?
post #7 of 12
Just happen to stumble over this.

As short as the Bros ski you might end up wanting a 179 given you are strong and agressive. Better try to demo before you buy blindfolded and regret down the road. Just my 0.02.

Edit: slight hijack here for Ty, didn't you want to come back on soft vs. stiff in another thread?
post #8 of 12
Stumbled on this thread too. I was going to start a new thread, but might as well post here. Sorry to hijack.

I am thinking of getting a pair of 164 Bros mainly to use for East coast trees when the snow is fresh. Me, I'm 5' 3" and 135 lbs. They certainly seem like they might be the ticket.

I am very much a Stockli fan and currently ski the Laser SC @ 158, the GS @ 172, the Stormrider XL @ 164 and the Snake @ 170, and am considering the Stormrider TTs @166 also.

Does someone out there want to talk me into pulling the trigger?
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTripodi View Post
Stumbled on this thread too. I was going to start a new thread, but might as well post here. Sorry to hijack.

I am thinking of getting a pair of 164 Bros mainly to use for East coast trees when the snow is fresh. Me, I'm 5' 3" and 135 lbs. They certainly seem like they might be the ticket.

I am very much a Stockli fan and currently ski the Laser SC @ 158, the GS @ 172, the Stormrider XL @ 164 and the Snake @ 170, and am considering the Stormrider TTs @166 also.

Does someone out there want to talk me into pulling the trigger?
And there is the best reason to go with the 164.
The reason I posted the pic of those three skis above is to give some idea of how long the 174 is. The ski next to it is the Blizzard Mag SL 155cm, and then the Bluehouse MR171. So, you can see its not a "long 174"
The BH is a defined twintip, while the Bro does not appear to be a dominant twin, more of a semi twin.
Notice the binding positions of the skis, to give you an idea of contact length.
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
Jaypowhound, What has you thinking 164?
Your size and ski ability as you state are screaming 174, but there could be reasons you may want the 164. Is there something special application you have in mind?
Nothing has me thinking 164. Actually, I have been trying to decide between 179 and 183. I was just wondering if there was something that I was missing about the 64, I've never heard of a ski this short with a, what is it, 32m radius? I know BROS are some beefy skis, and was just wondering why they decided to make such a small one... My thoughts seem to have been correct in that they are just for smaller people, not some crazy new idea I had never thought of.
post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowHog View Post
As short as the Bros ski you might end up wanting a 179 given you are strong and agressive. Better try to demo before you buy blindfolded and regret down the road. Just my 0.02.
EXACTLY!!!

I have been trying to find some demos that I can get on, but I live on the East coast and will not be traveling west this season. I ski mainly in NH and VT, and I would LOVE to try out a 179 AND 183 if I could... no luck finding any around here yet tho....
post #12 of 12
JPH, will it help you when I ski the Midwest HardPack with the 174 Softs this weekend and give you an idea how they handle?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion