EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Volkl AC40, Marker bindings and piston control
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Volkl AC40, Marker bindings and piston control

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Based on some reviews here and after demoing the skis at Whistler I made the jump from my intermediate skis to the AC40's. I picked them up from the shop today and they have Marker IPT Motion 12 bindings but seem to lack the additional piece that juts out past the front binding that are in all the recent pictures of the AC40's. The demo ski also didn't have this feature, but I'm wondering whether I got non-piston bindings. When I search for AC40's all the pictures have this additional PCOS piece up front, however the Volkl site and the Marker site show the IPT 12 that I have and mention piston control as a feature.

So, is this a big deal? Does the PCOS out the front make a difference? What does it do?
post #2 of 12
Thread Starter 
In a further search I found info an a dial that is present on 05 Marker bindings. The bindings that were installed have this dial in the middle of the sole plate. So have they installed three year old bindings?
post #3 of 12
Check your bindings against the 07/08 catalogue:

http://www.marker.de/downloads/37

The long sticking out bit is on the 12.0 TwinCam Piston Control Turbo. The non-turbo version doesn't have it. At least not in the pictures in the catalogue.
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionshots View Post
In a further search I found info an a dial that is present on 05 Marker bindings. The bindings that were installed have this dial in the middle of the sole plate. So have they installed three year old bindings?
Uh, no. If they are the silver AC40 with the IPT 12 bindings w/PCOS they are 2008 ski's. The IPT 12 is the binding that comes with that ski. It has been around for a few years.
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 

Pics of bindings

I can't find them in the 07/08 catalogue and also can't locate pictures of earlier models. Here's a picture of the ones installed.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
Check your bindings against the 07/08 catalogue:

http://www.marker.de/downloads/37

The long sticking out bit is on the 12.0 TwinCam Piston Control Turbo. The non-turbo version doesn't have it. At least not in the pictures in the catalogue.
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 

Definitely have the 07/08 skis

I definitely have the silver AC40 skis, but I'm wondering whether they have swapped out the bindings for an older model (see pic). They don't have the PCOS and do have a dial. And does this make a difference? Should I complain?





Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullr View Post
Uh, no. If they are the silver AC40 with the IPT 12 bindings w/PCOS they are 2008 ski's. The IPT 12 is the binding that comes with that ski. It has been around for a few years.
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 

It looks like I've got the demo bindings installed

I found them on the Volkl site:

http://www.voelkl.com/#3/EN/98/237

Does anyone have a feel for how different the demo version is to the retail version, besides being easier to adjust for boot sole length?


Quote:
Originally Posted by actionshots View Post
Based on some reviews here and after demoing the skis at Whistler I made the jump from my intermediate skis to the AC40's. I picked them up from the shop today and they have Marker IPT Motion 12 bindings but seem to lack the additional piece that juts out past the front binding that are in all the recent pictures of the AC40's. The demo ski also didn't have this feature, but I'm wondering whether I got non-piston bindings. When I search for AC40's all the pictures have this additional PCOS piece up front, however the Volkl site and the Marker site show the IPT 12 that I have and mention piston control as a feature.

So, is this a big deal? Does the PCOS out the front make a difference? What does it do?
post #8 of 12
The piston is really really subtle. I don't think you would notice much difference between the ski with/ without if you skied them on back to back runs. You demoed the ski without the PCOS, right? You liked it enough to buy it, right? I'd say you will be 100% happy with the ski as is.

However, if the shop SOLD you a PCOS binding then they should have supplied it (what did you buy? Did you specify a particular binding or did you ask for the best price?). The PCOS 'arm' can be added or removed, it's a bit of a PITA to install, there is a hole that needs to be drilled to hold it in place... drives me nuts. It's a fricken' integrated binding, why am I drilling holes if it's integrated??? Sorry for the rant.

Look at the toe piece of the binding from the front. Down low you should be able to feel a squishy rubber 'bumper' that looks kind of like a removable plug, 'cause it is. if the binding has this then you can remove this and add the PCOS... but I wouldn't bother, personally.
post #9 of 12
My understanding of the extra piece that attaches ahead of the bindings is that it acts like a damper on a car spring, helping to control vibration. It would be useful at high speeds on hard packed snow and ice. I can't see anyone really missing its effect in soft snow.
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 

I'm pretty happy

As it stands now I've bought the ski with the same set up as I demoed, right down to the demo binding. I hopefully plan to ski more soft snow next year. so probably won't miss the piston. I didn't buy the skis for fast runs on hard pack, although I found the ski way more stable than my present skis. Perhaps the easy demo binding length adjustment will make it easier when I buy new boots next year that could be a different sole length.

When I bought the ski I simply asked if it came with the integrated binding. I didn't know there were different model bindings until I picked up the skis after installation. i was more worried that they had used bindings that had been outdated and hanging around for a few years. But it appears that is not the case. For my type of skiing the bindings probably won't make a big deal of difference, although they may be heavier.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
The piston is really really subtle. I don't think you would notice much difference between the ski with/ without if you skied them on back to back runs. You demoed the ski without the PCOS, right? You liked it enough to buy it, right? I'd say you will be 100% happy with the ski as is.

However, if the shop SOLD you a PCOS binding then they should have supplied it (what did you buy? Did you specify a particular binding or did you ask for the best price?). The PCOS 'arm' can be added or removed, it's a bit of a PITA to install, there is a hole that needs to be drilled to hold it in place... drives me nuts. It's a fricken' integrated binding, why am I drilling holes if it's integrated??? Sorry for the rant.

Look at the toe piece of the binding from the front. Down low you should be able to feel a squishy rubber 'bumper' that looks kind of like a removable plug, 'cause it is. if the binding has this then you can remove this and add the PCOS... but I wouldn't bother, personally.
post #11 of 12
Uh, that is not a demo binding. That is an IPT binding, a demo binding would most likely be a speedpoint.
post #12 of 12
that is the demo binding, the new version of speedpoint. The piston is to some degree a gimick
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Volkl AC40, Marker bindings and piston control