or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Proud New PE Owner

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I have to learn that when the bell sounds and you offered the highest bid on ebay, you just bought yourself a pair of skis. Won a bid on a new pair of last years
's PE 179cm beating another bid by $1.50. I think I might have paid a little too much at $236 plus shipping. But hey , I got caught up in the heat of the moment. I did a search after it was over on the PE and saw where a Bear had a 179 cm lightly used withTyrolia bindings for sale for $225 in a thread. Never saw it in the Gear For Sale section or I definitely would have bought these skis at such a better price.

Looking forward to skiing these in a couple of weeks at Vail . Have to sell some skis and bindings that I probably won't use in the future. Look for my "terriifc" ski deals in the Gear Swap if I can get myself organized.
post #2 of 14
Keep an eye on Steep and Cheap, they have offered them from $190-200 at the end of the ski season, and down as low as $165 in the fall. I bought some extras last year during one of the deals.
post #3 of 14
That S&C deal sounds good... included bindings?
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj535i View Post
That S&C deal sounds good... included bindings?
No -- twins are almost always sold flat.
post #5 of 14
Not to make anyone jealous but I just got a pair of 159cm PE's for $70 (including shipping). Might be a bit short for me (I'm 5'10" 145lbs) but at $70, who cares?
post #6 of 14
Wow great price, but that is basically a 140cm regular ski!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Puppy View Post
Wow great price, but that is basically a 140cm regular ski!!!!!!!!

I disagree. I demoed the 2008 PE at 159 and found them to ski comparably to my skis that are mid 160's (although the conditions were sugar on top of boilerplate). I find that the PE skis LONG, not short. I think the reason why some people find them short is because they mount the bindings something crazy like 3cm forward. I think if you mount them at 0, they will seem like a much longer ski. Also, I'm used to lighter skis and to me, the PE is a heavy ski. So the extra weight and stability cause the PE to act like a longer ski, imho. Although, I won't know for sure until I mount the skis and try them out.
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Puppy View Post
Wow great price, but that is basically a 140cm regular ski!!!!!!!!
Come on... 152!!
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzinwin View Post
I find that the PE skis LONG, not short.


Although, I won't know for sure until I mount the skis and try them out.
Huh? :::

Kinda hard to comment on how long they ski if you haven't skied on them. Trust me and the 500 other people who have skied twins - they ski SHORT, no matter where you mount the bindings. My 174 Rossi Scratch FS skied like something about 165-170, and they were mounted at the "freeride" mark. That's the back one.

I think you'll have fun on them though. But don't expect too much - they'll ski at least 5cm shorter than the length marked.
post #10 of 14
Not according to this guy:
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?p=884301

And I have demoed the 2008 159cm PE, and for me, they skied LONG. The ones I bought were 2007 I think but they should be the same.
post #11 of 14
Truth can be stranger than fiction.

That's one guy's opinion. Ask 100 people if their twins ski longer or shorter than a similar straight ski. I think you'll see what I'm saying. The only reason you may think think that is because at 5'10", 145#, you're a pretty thin guy, and probably have a tough time flexing a stiffer flex ski. I'm 6', 185# - I'd destroy a 159. 174 is even shorter than I'd like, but they're fun in tight quarters.

But hey, like I said, have fun on them.
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundturns View Post
Won a bid on a new pair of last year's PE 179cm beating another bid by $1.50. I think I might have paid a little too much at $236 plus shipping.

saw where a Bear had a 179 cm lightly used withTyrolia bindings for sale for $225 in a thread. Never saw it in the Gear For Sale section or I definitely would have bought these skis at such a better price.
confused am i.

you bought a BRAND NEW pair for $236.
but you're lamenting not having paid $225 for a USED pair?
that's only an $11 difference for a pair of NEW skis.
personally, I'd totally pony up the $11 difference for new skis.

also I'd hardly consider an $11 difference to be "such a better price."

now if you'd paid $400 for the new ones when you coulda gotten used ones for $225, i could see lamenting the difference.

at any rate, it's nice to see that if you wait around long enough the skis made in China actually are cheaper to buy for the consumer (you just have to wait around til the end of the season, though).



Of course if you'd held out and shopped around you coulda been the proud owner of a pair of Lib Tech Freerides, the twin tips that turn ice into shaved ice (most appropriate for you EC skiers).

double-
post #13 of 14
I think he's saying that because the used ones had bindings on them. If you don't mount your own, add another $150 - $250 for bindings and mount.
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
I think he's saying that because the used ones had bindings on them. If you don't mount your own, add another $150 - $250 for bindings and mount.
That's why I think the tyrolia railflex system is so awesome. I just buy an extra $10 railflex plate and I mount it myself using a household drill and a $20 drill bit. Cheap as hell.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion