EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Park City law against reckless skiing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Park City law against reckless skiing

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Read the news Item here:

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_8501217
post #2 of 15
The main thing that concerns me about this is the added pressure on Ski Patrol to become police.
There will be a few patrollers who will be all to happy to take on the Barney Fife badge, and create their own definition of reckless.

The Up side, is that it gives patrollers and resorts the tool it needs to handle the truly reckless.

How's that for a devils advocate view of the situation?
post #3 of 15
I just got a e-mail from friends who winter in Park City and summer here on the bay in northern michigan. They stated that even if the law is never enforced, people know it is there and aware of the results.
Bob said it is kinda like " You know better than being reckless, but now Mom has the belt out to whip you if your caught"
post #4 of 15
One of the ski areas out my way has a giant red and white sign at the main lift that says "Hit and Run Skiing is Illegal". I've never been taken out, but I've been with someone that took out someone else doing something stupid 9over 20 years ago). Luckily the guy wasn't hurt or all that upset. He was very forgiving considering the circumstances. (helicopter over blind transitioin took out an old man..) He got the wind knocked out of him but wasn't angry since we were EXTREMELY apologetic.
post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
The main thing that concerns me about this is the added pressure on Ski Patrol to become police.
There will be a few patrollers who will be all to happy to take on the Barney Fife badge, and create their own definition of reckless.

The Up side, is that it gives patrollers and resorts the tool it needs to handle the truly reckless.

How's that for a devils advocate view of the situation?
Wow. I'll bet you're one of those people who makes both left AND right turns on your skis. I've seen your type.
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
The main thing that concerns me about this is the added pressure on Ski Patrol to become police.
There will be a few patrollers who will be all to happy to take on the Barney Fife badge, and create their own definition of reckless.

The Up side, is that it gives patrollers and resorts the tool it needs to handle the truly reckless.

How's that for a devils advocate view of the situation?
most Ski Patrol would love to stop out of control skiing, it'd probably cut 25% sled rides, and collisions are the worst calls to go on since we have to play EMT and cop.
We have a lot of tools
-signs
-redirectional devices
-pulling tickets
-free ski lessons
-education

and it's a multi-faceted problem
-never-evers who refuse to take lessons
-never-evers who take "lessons" from friends
-Yahoos that strait-line faster than thier ability
-skiers that over-estimate thier ability

And some of the excuses I've heard
-But I was in control
-but I don't know how to slow down (ummm, make turns?)
-how am I going to learn to ski a black diamond run if I don't ski black diamonds
-my boyfriend took me up here.
post #7 of 15
What's the difference between skiing fast and skiing recklessly? The ski patrol can actually catch the reckless skiers!
post #8 of 15
I'm all for patrollers having something to put teeth into the "cop" part of a thankless job.
Hopefully it will reach its potential to make a difference.

I haven't dug really deep into this but I was wondering if there is a stable definition of reckless attached to this ruling?
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
I'm all for patrollers having something to put teeth into the "cop" part of a thankless job.
Hopefully it will reach its potential to make a difference.

I haven't dug really deep into this but I was wondering if there is a stable definition of reckless attached to this ruling?
You've got my BIG to deputize the patrollers. I certainly appreciate the fact that they are there in case I ever need them. And, they are extremely nice considering all the crap that they have to put up with. Though they do get some :tasty fringe benifits from time to time. I'd like to look into patrolling if I could ever retire in the mountains:

I would add that the definition of "reckless" does need to be posted. And, don't you dare stand on the slopes with a radar gun and pull my ticket for going 19 MPH when there isn't another skier within 100 feet of me.

Ski on and have fun, just don't do anything stupid like I used to do!
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
...And, don't you dare stand on the slopes with a radar gun and pull my ticket for going 19 MPH when there isn't another skier within 100 feet of me.

Ski on and have fun, just don't do anything stupid like I used to do!
You did see item number four in 2-Turn's post (second set of bullets), didn't you? Oh, I'll post it here for you:

"skiers that over-estimate thier ability"
post #11 of 15
This law is just dumb. If someone is reckless, throw them off the hill. Easy, simple, effective. There is no radar gun necessary. There is no law necessary. If someone injures or kills someone through their reckless skiing, there are already plenty of things a DA can charge them with.

This law gives a ski patroller the ability to have someone charged with a misdemeanor based merely upon their opinion. We often give law enforcement that kind of leeway, but then again law enforcement is supposed to have rigorous checks of morals and character, internal quality control systems, etc. Patrollers splint broken legs. They should stick to their day job.
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Patrollers splint broken legs. They should stick to their day job.
Awww, I think there's more to their job than that already, like grenades and mortars for avalannche control for instance. I believe enforcing basic security already falls within their job definition. I think they deserve at least the same level of respect (a lot more IMO) as private security guards. Hey, maybe they could truck grenades at snapperhead kids that won't listen to polite requests to crank it back a notch around the crowds pf begnners on green runs?
post #13 of 15
There is a ton to their job, and they do it well. Particularly here in the west where they can usually actually ski. Playing cop and going to court dates seems like a dumb addition. Why? If you see someone being reckless, take their ticket and send them home.
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
There is a ton to their job, and they do it well. Particularly here in the west where they can usually actually ski. Playing cop and going to court dates seems like a dumb addition. Why? If you see someone being reckless, take their ticket and send them home.
I'm totally in favor of jerking the ticket as the first line of defense.

I'm just trying to see a way around whose parents just give them more money to go back and do it again tomorrow, many of these kids have passes. We still may need something with more teeth. How about black listing people from the resort for two jerked tickets? There is also the matter of stolen equipment. Patrols sometimes need to aprehend people caught in the act. So, I suppose they already have to go to court for cases like that. Any patorllers out there feeel free to set us straight in this
:
post #15 of 15
If you have a pass and it gets pulled, you might not get it back period. Hey, I groveled for mine once when I was 14. Now I don't do stupid crap. WTF is the need for this law?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Park City law against reckless skiing