EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Member Gear Reviews › Softer snow ski for the East and West
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Softer snow ski for the East and West

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I am looking for a new everyday ski for mostly NH and Southern, VT. I will be going to Solitude for 5 days at the end of March. My current and snapped ski is the Atomic SX 10, 170 and my deep snow ski is an Elan 999 (06), 171.
I am 5'11 and weigh 190lbs. I prefer even on cold icy eastern snow to ski the sides of the trials and look for crud and chop.

If I see the forecast of heavy snow for the end of March at Solitude I will bring the 999's. Otherwise, I want to choose something better for skiing chopped up bowls and crud. My choices are: Watea 84 (176), JetFuel (170), Monster 82 (172) or Atomic Snoop Daddy (174)

I have been able to demo the Jetfuel and Mag 12. I liked the Jetfuel but found the Mag 12 a bit to anxious to turn. I would appreciate any help on the rest of my choices and I can hopefully have the new boards next week.

Skimax
post #2 of 11
tough one, are you going to use them beyond Solitude? What will you be skiing on? Ice? crud? Pow? wateas are not really hard snow skis but are great every where else, I also like to play along the edges and pop in an out of trees and such. The 84's are fantastic for that. The Jets and Monsters are much stiffer but still great ski GS style skis but can handle some crud, pow and varied conditions. Not really good in moguls. The 82 is going to be much like the Jet. No experience on the snoops but reveiws here are very positive, Not sure how they'd be on hardpack.
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimax View Post
I
I have been able to demo the Jetfuel and Mag 12. I liked the Jetfuel but found the Mag 12 a bit to anxious to turn. I would appreciate any help on the rest of my choices and I can hopefully have the new boards next week.

Skimax
I love the Jet Fuel, but do you really consider it to be soft? If you said the Afterburner, (love that one too), I'd understand.
post #4 of 11

Solitude

I'll be at Soli last week of March too...hoping for some snow, cause I'm bringing Blizzard Titan Argos...101mm under foot ;-)

I haven't skied any of the skis you're considering, although have heard great things about the Jets as a mid-fat carver that does pretty well in mixed snow conditions and lots of people seem to like the Snoops as a soft snow ski that does OK on the frontside...but they're 2 different animals. I would think the Jets and Mag 12s would be way more useful for you in NH/VT than the Snoops. I'm an east coaster too, btw.

I'll be there 3/21-3/28 and will be in Honeycomb Canyon while rest of family is on the frontside if you're looking for someone to ski with! Keep fingers crossed for some nice snowfall in a couple weeks!

--Josh
post #5 of 11
Given that you already have a ski for deep snow, I think that the "Wide Carver" would be the best choice. Of the skis mentioned the Jet is IMO the best choice. It has very good hard snow grip and is quite damp. OTH, it is not super stiff so you can bend it and get some POP when you want it. The Snoop and the Watea are both a bit more biased toward softer conditions. If you didn't already have a soft snow ski, they might make an excellent all-rounder. I have skied the Mag series and was only impressed by the 14 and that was a couple years ago. Among the newer versions, I'm not as fond of them. Head makes great skis too and the 82 might be a candidate. My impression of the Heads is that they are quite firm and not as nimble as the JF. OTH I skied the 82 in a 183 and felt that it was sluggish possibly a shorter size would corrected that.

JF
post #6 of 11
JI, yup the 172 has much more energy, still a freight train but it does have energy. A lot of fun. I liked this ski a lot. It would be my 1st choice here for harder snow/groomers.
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
I appreciate the good information. I am leaning towards the Jet Fuel due to the fact that is can handle most conditions of the east and the heavier crud of late March in the West. The only other ski that came to mind and may be a better overall choice is the Legend 8k. I say this primarily due to its significantly lighter weight than the JF. I ski most of my time with 8 yr old son who snowboards. Luckily he is really good and skis the whole mountain pretty fast and confidently. Occasionally my 40 yr old muscles start to ache by 2pm and he wants to keep going till close. Is the weigh difference enough to choose this ski of the JF?
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post
Given that you already have a ski for deep snow, I think that the "Wide Carver" would be the best choice. Of the skis mentioned the Jet is IMO the best choice. It has very good hard snow grip and is quite damp. OTH, it is not super stiff so you can bend it and get some POP when you want it. The Snoop and the Watea are both a bit more biased toward softer conditions. If you didn't already have a soft snow ski, they might make an excellent all-rounder. I have skied the Mag series and was only impressed by the 14 and that was a couple years ago. Among the newer versions, I'm not as fond of them. Head makes great skis too and the 82 might be a candidate. My impression of the Heads is that they are quite firm and not as nimble as the JF. OTH I skied the 82 in a 183 and felt that it was sluggish possibly a shorter size would corrected that.

JF
HI Jim,

You should try the 82 in a more suitable length. I skied the 172 last week at Squaw and found it to be very forgiving and quite easy to ski in hardpacked moguls, where my Elan 82X's were a bit too stiff and kicking me around a bit. OTOH, the Elan's are better at serious speed in crud and a little more stable on groomers. Head will have the 82 in a 177cm next year, and I bet that is about right for you.



To the OP: if you are looking for a good all-around ski that also excels on hardpack, check out the Cold Heat from Fischer as well as the Head iM82. It does everything except for bumps well, and is a thrilling carver, as least as fun as the Jet Fuel. Also, the Jet Fuel and Afterburner are great choices, and I would also recommend the Sollie Fury. You would also really like the new Elan 82X or 82ti (I am on a pair of 82X's myself, although they are a tad stiff and I am replacing them with 82ti's). They are arguably the best skis I have yet been on in the 80-85mm category.
post #9 of 11
I'd go with Dawgcatching on this one. iM82's are definitive in crud and chop anywhere, great on hardpack like we get back east. Damp and and unafraid of any speed you would muster in public. Can't speak to the JF's, but I've skied AC4/40's a lot, and the 82 was stronger and more GS-like, yet significantly better in crud, trees, and bumps. OTOH they ski long; a 172 at 165 lbs was all I needed and then some. So, like the AC's, the short lengths mean that you're not getting much surface area for your dollar.

Why not go for the iM88's, which will float better but still give you great grip and even more of that Head blunt force in the crud and chop?
post #10 of 11
Quote:
HI Jim,

You should try the 82 in a more suitable length. I skied the 172 last week at Squaw and found it to be very forgiving and quite easy to ski in hardpacked moguls, where my Elan 82X's were a bit too stiff and kicking me around a bit. OTOH, the Elan's are better at serious speed in crud and a little more stable on groomers. Head will have the 82 in a 177cm next year, and I bet that is about right for you.
Scott, I'm pretty sure that you're right. Normally, I'd test this category in the mid 170's. When I do get the chance to test a Head or Elan, I usually only have time for one or two so I took what was available at the time.

SJ
post #11 of 11
Is there a review in here?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Gear Reviews
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Member Gear Reviews › Softer snow ski for the East and West