New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nordica Nitrous

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
I have been told by a local ski shop that this ski is the Top Fuel without the metal, thereby making it better suited for bumps. My concern is that without the metal there will be a significant loss of edge grip and that the ski may chatter at higher speeds. The ski shop states that with the vertical sidewalls and built up edges this ski is stable. They don't have any to demo. Does anyone have experience with this ski?
post #2 of 21
Thread Starter 
I meant to say this is the Jet Fuel without the metal.
post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
I was right the first time. It is the Top Fuel without he metal. I also might add that my current skis are metal laminate. Would the Nitrous be disappointing?
post #4 of 21
What are your current skis? Where do you ski?

The Afterburner (same ski as Nitrous but wider) has no problems holding an edge. Only problem with chatter would occur with poor form (improper amount of balanced pressure), at least out west. I haven't skied the Nitrous for over a year. Nonetheless, I don't have a problem recommending them based on how happy I am with the Afterburners. My friend bought the Nitrous at the start of the season and he loves them for all conditions.
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
The ski shop states that with the vertical sidewalls and built up edges this ski is stable.
don't have any experience with the ski, but from the limited information that you provided it certainly sounds like the shop is tell you what you want to hear inorder to eliminate stock.
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
Would the Nitrous be disappointing?
Disappointing at what, and compared to what?

The Nitrous is a terrifically versatile ski and is better on hard snow than any number of skis that cost significantly more. Is it as good as a TF on really hard snow?....no it's not, but very few skis are as good as the TF on that kind of surface. OTH, the Nitrous is better in bumps, more forgiving, and for something like $487 is one of the better buys on the market.

SJ
post #7 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
What are your current skis? Where do you ski?

The Afterburner (same ski as Nitrous but wider) has no problems holding an edge. Only problem with chatter would occur with poor form (improper amount of balanced pressure), at least out west. I haven't skied the Nitrous for over a year. Nonetheless, I don't have a problem recommending them based on how happy I am with the Afterburners. My friend bought the Nitrous at the start of the season and he loves them for all conditions.
Currently on Elan Ripsticks. Eastern skier. I enjoy Double Black Diamond runs here in the East. We deal with so much ice that the metal laminate ski is great for edge grip. In the East, edge grip =confidence. Many Vermont Double Blacks are steep pitches, narrow, with rocks and stumps exposed. There are always large moguls as these trails are too steep to be groomed. In many areas of the trail you may have only a small section where you can make your next turn. The Ripsticks are precise and always hold an edge when I need it. I am addicted to the precision of a metal laminate ski, but they can be a little stiff in tight steep bumps.

My purpose in starting this thread is that I wonder if the Nordica Nitrous may be enough ski.
post #8 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post
Disappointing at what, and compared to what?

The Nitrous is a terrifically versatile ski and is better on hard snow than any number of skis that cost significantly more. Is it as good as a TF on really hard snow?....no it's not, but very few skis are as good as the TF on that kind of surface. OTH, the Nitrous is better in bumps, more forgiving, and for something like $487 is one of the better buys on the market.

SJ

SierraJim:

I appreciate your input. See my above post. I am looking for a ski that is good in bumps. I also would like to keep the precise edgegrip similar to my current Ripsticks. Would I be close to these requirements with the Nitrous?

I also like the idea fo the Nitrous' wider waist which may allow greater floatation and easier tree skiing with my son. Thanks in advance.
post #9 of 21
D:

Among the things that makes a ski easier in bumps is slightly less precise edgegrip. I've spent enough time on the front four to know that the ski has to hold, but you also need to be able to skid it a little bit too. If I still lived in Stowe the Nitrous would be one choice for an everyday ski. Then again, I'll always sacrifice a little bit of grip for a little forgiveness.

S
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post
D:

Among the things that makes a ski easier in bumps is slightly less precise edgegrip. I've spent enough time on the front four to know that the ski has to hold, but you also need to be able to skid it a little bit too. If I still lived in Stowe the Nitrous would be one choice for an everyday ski. Then again, I'll always sacrifice a little bit of grip for a little forgiveness.

S
I ski the TF in the bumps and absolutly love the ski, but in softer snow. The softer, less energy Nitrous will allow for more forgiveness. It's a 16m, I think, so the turns are more GSish - even more so with the TF, it is much harder to skid.

You can bend the TF if you are not careful.
post #11 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post
D:

Among the things that makes a ski easier in bumps is slightly less precise edgegrip. I've spent enough time on the front four to know that the ski has to hold, but you also need to be able to skid it a little bit too. If I still lived in Stowe the Nitrous would be one choice for an everyday ski. Then again, I'll always sacrifice a little bit of grip for a little forgiveness.

S

Understood. What other skis would you consider for an everday ski for the front four.
post #12 of 21
I like the Nitrous an awful lot. I think it is a more versatile ski that makes a better use of its size and shape than the TF which I see as being full of a bit too much metal and glass. The TF is just a bit over the top IMO, though that can be a ton of fun in the right context. I would strongly prefer to ski the Nitrous in bumps all day to the TF, and the lack of bent skis at the end of the day would be nice too.
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
Understood. What other skis would you consider for an everday ski for the front four.
There are bunches depending upon your tastes.

Atomic: Blackeye
Dynastar: Contact LTD and L8K
Fischer: Red Heat, '09 Cool Heat, Watea 78**
K2: Crossfire
Nordica: SM Mach 3 Carbon
Rossi: Zenith Z-9**
Salomon: Tornado**
Volkl: AC-30 (stiff for my tastes but...?)

** These would need regular disciplining with a 2* file guide.

SJ
post #14 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post
There are bunches depending upon your tastes.

Atomic: Blackeye
Dynastar: Contact LTD and L8K
Fischer: Red Heat, '09 Cool Heat, Watea 78**
K2: Crossfire
Nordica: SM Mach 3 Carbon
Rossi: Zenith Z-9**
Salomon: Tornado**
Volkl: AC-30 (stiff for my tastes but...?)

** These would need regular disciplining with a 2* file guide.

SJ
Thanks SJ! I appreciate your input. I think you understood exactly the type of trail I was mentioning. Starr and Goat are perfect examples.
post #15 of 21
I have skied the TF and the JF. I like the metal, but am curious about how they would be without it. I ski the JF in bumps and sometimes find it to be a handfull. Managable, but not always easy. The TF is a bit easier, but I have way less time on it. I think the TF is probably the more versatle ski. If I couldn't demo both, I would go for the metal.
post #16 of 21

Afterburners

Did a demo of ABs at Copper Mountain (CO) yesterday (March 18.) I'm buying a pair!! LOVE these ski's.

They did a great job on edges in early morning. Not sure how they'd do on intense hockey rinks (sometimes, even in CO, you do get what are just friggin sheets of ice! early morning, especially DST, after a cold night, after a warm afternoon can be a bit nasty

I ski 170s, and they were maneuverable enough in the bumps.
In the bowls they rock beyond belief!! :
In the west, this time of year, you need the width of an AB especially for powder and crud

I personally like the flexibility of this ski; I've been on SUV 12s, which I'm going to keep for a stiffer, narrower speed ski
post #17 of 21
Tim,
Welcome. You'll find plenty of AB fans here, myself included.
post #18 of 21

2008/9 Nordica Nitrous

Can any one who has skied this years version compare it to last years Yellow Nitrous? Not sure what the changes were, if any, other than cosmetics.

thanks in advance
post #19 of 21

Nitrous

I've been doing ski research for the last month. I've learned a lot through the forums on here and talking to ski shop experts. I wanted to order a ski online for my everyday ski. I decided that I'm not going to order anything until I demo them.

But, the ski I'm most excited to demo (hopefully buy) is the Nitrous. I'm in the tree's most of the day and need a ski that will be easy to work yet grip the hardpack when I ski with my sister. I'm 220lbs, 5'10 and ski on the east in Vermont and I'm looking at the 177's in this ski ( maybe its 178 i don't remember ).

But I'm very excited. Let it snow



Brendan
post #20 of 21
Check out skipressworld.com Buyers Guide 08-09 The Nitrous was second in the multi condition performance category. Also, in-terms of sizes (radius): 154 (R11,5), 162 (R13,5), 170 (R15,5), 178 (R17,5) Largest

I would go with the 170 this ski is no weenie and will rip in that size. The construction is top notch and the new binding system XBI CT is in the core of the ski more for 09 also lighter.
post #21 of 21

Nitrous

The guy at the ski shop I'm going to demo these from recommended the 170 too. My only thoughts are that because of my weight I man overpower the 170 in certain situations. So if my demo tells me that, I'll try the 178.

Also plan on trying out the Head Monster i.M 78. Heard it would be a good ski also.

Cheers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion