EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Member Gear Reviews › Head Supershape Magnums - another view
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Head Supershape Magnums - another view - Page 2

post #31 of 46
At your size I would think the 177 is the length.

I ski the Supershape Speed in a 177cm, whih I believe is a bit burlier and bit narrower. I am 6' 185.

One word of advice. Retune the skis when you get them to a true 1 (I tune mine to .7 base edge bevel) degree base bevel and a 3 degree side edge.

thistrnasforms a nice ski into an incredible ski. Head's factory tune is 1 or more base and 1 side edge. Much too little side edge bevel.

You won't believe the difference in energy and edge hold with that a great tune will provide.
post #32 of 46
very interesting thread, i have a pair of magnums on order and will definately change the side angles to 3. I would be leary of tampering with new bases. i only have 1 and .5 base tools, is there much difference to the ski in changing from the factory 1 degree to a 0.5?
post #33 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimottaret View Post
very interesting thread, i have a pair of magnums on order and will definately change the side angles to 3. I would be leary of tampering with new bases. i only have 1 and .5 base tools, is there much difference to the ski in changing from the factory 1 degree to a 0.5?
Yes. The 1 degree is a lot more forgiving, and the 0.5 degree feels a lot more precise and quick. I haven't done this to the Magnum, just going by other skis that have had different bases. I've also tried both .5 and 1 on my SGs. 1 degree makes it easier to spin around and ski backwards without catching edges, but it makes the ski a little sloppy on hardpack until you are turning.
post #34 of 46
Thanks Ghost i think i will leave the base and just change the sides...
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimottaret View Post
Thanks Ghost i think i will leave the base and just change the sides...
Good plan as to change the base edge to 0.5 you'd have to grind the ski/base edge flat first. You can try a shallow base angle after their first grind, or at least after you've skied 'em a bit.

When you're up in Oct I can set the sides to 3 if you want - I've just got a new wheel for the angle grinder
post #36 of 46
spyderjon - thanks for the tip on searching Epic for this info at the other place... i will send you a list of stuff i need doing. i do kinda fancy a go at changing the angles myself. if/when i do mess it up you can fire up the grinder
post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimottaret View Post
spyderjon - thanks for the tip on searching Epic for this info at the other place... i will send you a list of stuff i need doing. i do kinda fancy a go at changing the angles myself. if/when i do mess it up you can fire up the grinder
One word of advice. In order to get a true clean 3 degree side edge, you must remove a fair amount of sidewall material just above the edge. Head's vetical sidewall skis have a fair amount of material there. If you don't do this (you will be able to tell by white reside in your file and stones) you will not get a true clean accurate 3 degree.

I backfile my skis a s the first step in setting the side edge bevel by using a guide 2 degrees 2-3 & sometimes even 4 degrees over my final side bevel angle using a short panser file. www.artechski.com sells a fixed 7 degree side edge bevel guide that works very well

In fact you should read this article and pay special attention to the steps in #8. Particularly the final step of deburiing the hanging burr after working on the side edge. this is crucial to a smooth no grabby predictable ski.

http://www.holmenkol.us/myadmin/data...our%20Skis.pdf
post #38 of 46
Atomicman, no worries as skimottaret is the proud owner of one of these:
525x525px-LL-vbattach3767.jpg
post #39 of 46
thanks atomicman, i have a sidewall cutter and a moonfile so should be able to get off the sidewalls prior to increasing the angles. Good article, i liked the explanations of how sharp is sharp...
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderjon View Post
Atomicman, no worries as skimottaret is the proud owner of one of these:
Is that an attachemnt that goes on to a 90* side edge bevel or a complete tool? Looks good!
post #41 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimottaret View Post
thanks atomicman, i have a sidewall cutter and a moonfile so should be able to get off the sidewalls prior to increasing the angles. Good article, i liked the explanations of how sharp is sharp...
Happy to help!
post #42 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post
Is that an attachemnt that goes on to a 90* side edge bevel or a complete tool? Looks good!
It's Kunzmann's Pro sidewall stripper (also branded as FK/SKS) & is available as both - either a complete tool or as an attachment for one of their 90 degree side edge guides.

The cutting tool can be rotated thru 180 to choose between straight or round carbide cutter, the black screws adjusts cutting height & the blue screw the depth.

My own Pro stripper has done about 300 pairs of skis & is still in perfect condition. What I like about it is the clear view of the blade, the stability & the fine adjustment - unlike the SkiMan tool that I've also got which gives a very poor view, is pretty unstable with those dodgy base rollers & is a pain to swap cutters. I reckon it's equal to the SVST WC stripper but at half the price.
525x525px-LL-vbattach3768.jpg
post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderjon View Post
It's Kunzmann's Pro sidewall stripper (also branded as FK/SKS) & is available as both - either a complete tool or as an attachment for one of their 90 degree side edge guides.

The cutting tool can be rotated thru 180 to choose between straight or round carbide cutter, the black screws adjusts cutting height & the blue screw the depth.

My own Pro stripper has done about 300 pairs of skis & is still in perfect condition. What I like about it is the clear view of the blade, the stability & the fine adjustment - unlike the SkiMan tool that I've also got which gives a very poor view, is pretty unstable with those dodgy base rollers & is a pain to swap cutters. I reckon it's equal to the SVST WC stripper but at half the price.
I looked on the FK/SKS site and cannot find it and google didn't come up with it either. Where can i get one??
post #44 of 46
I have the Swix pro (not WC) model. Works well, looks similar to this setup.
post #45 of 46
I tend to agree with the comments made by the original poster. I owned the Chip version of the Magnum in 177cm and was disappointed with edge grip and stability. I much prefered the Supershape and Supershape Speed in every way.
post #46 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post
I looked on the FK/SKS site and cannot find it and google didn't come up with it either. Where can i get one??
Atomicman, I've PM'd you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Gear Reviews
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Member Gear Reviews › Head Supershape Magnums - another view