EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › where can I find the factory edge specs for my skis...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

where can I find the factory edge specs for my skis...

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I am going to start doing my own waxing and tuning of my family's skis and snowboards...

Where can I find what the factory edge angles are...

I have Fisher Watea 84...
Head im72...
Salomon Siam 4...
And 3 K2 snowboards...
post #2 of 17
Since you have a lot of skis/boards you may want to invest in a protractor. This one is only $14 from Slidewright.

http://www.slidewright.com/proddetai...SW-17L&cat=105

I haven't used it but perhaps Terry can comment on its accuracy.

(Paging Terry)
post #3 of 17
I've had the same question on my mind for a little while - where can I find out the correct angle for the edges on my K2 skis.
I bought a tool that has an angle of 1.5, and it definitely improves the performance of my skis when they've gotten rounded down by a lot of ice skiing, but I wonder if they'd be much better with a different angle.
I'm not sure what good a protractor will do if you don't know what angle the edge is supposed to be set at, but maybe I'm missing something.
post #4 of 17
This may help

http://www.tognar.com/edge_tips_file...ard.html#angle

It doesn't list the factory angles on this page but I have one of their free catalogs and they list them in there. They may be listed elsewhere on the site but it's three in the morning and I'm too tired to look.
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Hey thanks for the reply...

At 3 in the morning I was sleeping, let alone tired...

And I have their catalog, did not even know the specs were in there...

thanks for the info...
post #6 of 17
Unfortunately, many manufacturers have not figured out that some of us care about such things. I have even gotten incorrect (and conflicting) information on factory bevels from reps, marketing offices, etc.

And it doen't stop there. Many shops don't know. Even worse, many tuning shops/techs don't know/care. : From past experience, I believe the majority of tune shops fall into this category! Be carefull out there.
post #7 of 17
Tune your skis for your snow conditions and your skiing style. I use 1° base bevel for our wet snow. If you're in very dry snow, try 0.5° or 0.7°. Or maybe 0.75° except 1° at the tip and tail for high performance on wet snow.

I like 3° side bevel sharpened all the way around the tip and tail for those hard-snow days. One drawback if hitting a rock knocks out a bigger chunk than 2°. Some folk's skiing style may do better with less angle and the tips & tails slightly de-tuned, but not if you're a carver.

The factory tune is not at all important to me. They don't know how nor where I ski.
post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the reply...

I have done a lot of reading here, and like what I have read so far...

The im72's have a 1/1 base/edge bevel setup...

I was thinking of changing the side edge bevel to 2*...

Would that adversely effect the ski, I want them to carve better on the no new snow days...

I am going to put up a new post asking just that question...
post #9 of 17
I've had a pair of iM72s for the past two seasons. Before this season I changed the side bevel to 2 degress. It made a noticeable difference skiing hardpack here in the mid-Atlantic. Did as others have suggested: removed sidewall with panzar file, took quite a few passes with the file to get it down to 2, but I think it was worth it.
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rspacher View Post
Thanks for the reply...

I have done a lot of reading here, and like what I have read so far...

The im72's have a 1/1 base/edge bevel setup...

I was thinking of changing the side edge bevel to 2*...

Would that adversely effect the ski, I want them to carve better on the no new snow days...

I am going to put up a new post asking just that question...
Go with a .7 or a true 1 (not overbeveled 1 degree) base bevel and try a 3 degree side edge on the Heads. Side edge bevel can be increased or decreased at will. Base edge bevel can only be increased. So if you didn't like the 3 side edge it can easily be changed to a 2. You won't believe the difference with more side edge bevel. it will transorm your ski. I would also highly recommend using base tape when working on your sidewalls and side bevels. Nothing worse then chewing up your newly stone ground base structure when 1 minute metal shaving sneaks under you bevel guide!

In regard to the side wall. You really need a sidewall planer to do the job correctly. I first backfile with a 7 degree side edge bevel guide at www.artechski.com makes a 7 degree for this purpose that is not expensive. with a short panser and then remove exceesive side wall with the Ski-Man side wall planer. Look at the last item on this page. I like the square blade the best. this thing works extremely well.

http://www.tognar.com/bevel_edge_bas...owbo ard.html
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rspacher View Post
Thanks for the reply...

I have done a lot of reading here, and like what I have read so far...

The im72's have a 1/1 base/edge bevel setup...
Where did you get that information? I thought all Head skis have a base bevel of 1 and a side bevel of 2. At least that's what this thread seems to suggest:

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=23494
post #12 of 17
I know the Reps and everyone say Heads are 1/2. But they are not. I just received a new pair of 07/08 186cm i.M88. The had a 1.5 degree base bevel and a 1 degree side edge.

My SS speed were a 1/1. I don't remeber what my i.sl RD's were but they are now .7/3. The i.m88 I retune to 1/2 and the SS speed to 1/3.

The reduced base bevel and increased side edge bevel transforms all of these skis from lackluster (I beleive a big reason peolple say they have no energy or pop)to truly something special. Damp, but energetic and amazing edge hold.
post #13 of 17
Any "factory" edge bevel that anyone tells you, whether it is a rep, tech, shop owner or factory representative, is basically a bevel RECOMMENDATION, not necessarily how they actually came from the factory. New ski tunes are all over the board, regardless of what anyone tells you. The ONLY way to know how your skis came from the factory is to check them when they are new.

Pretty much EVERY ski in the world performs very well for the vast majority of people at a bevel setting of 1 degree base, 3 degree side. Every ski.

Get 'em tuned that way and you will be happy.
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.P. Racer View Post
Any "factory" edge bevel that anyone tells you, whether it is a rep, tech, shop owner or factory representative, is basically a bevel RECOMMENDATION, not necessarily how they actually came from the factory. New ski tunes are all over the board, regardless of what anyone tells you. The ONLY way to know how your skis came from the factory is to check them when they are new.

Pretty much EVERY ski in the world performs very well for the vast majority of people at a bevel setting of 1 degree base, 3 degree side. Every ski.

Get 'em tuned that way and you will be happy.
Absolutely right on the money!!!!
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_CA View Post
Since you have a lot of skis/boards you may want to invest in a protractor. This one is only $14 from Slidewright.

http://www.slidewright.com/proddetai...SW-17L&cat=105

I haven't used it but perhaps Terry can comment on its accuracy.

(Paging Terry)
It works easy enough and accurate for side edge measuring. For base edges it takes a little more care. As with any edge measuring, it is dependent on a flat base, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
I'm not sure what good a protractor will do if you don't know what angle the edge is supposed to be set at, but maybe I'm missing something.
It gives you a point of reference. Another benefit of multi-angle tools is you can use them to measure whatever existing angles are:

Quote:
For measuring angles, mark the edge with a marker and run the guide over the edge with a fine stone or diamond. If the removal is even there is a match to the angle set. If there is removal on one side or the other, adjust the angle until there is even removal.
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post
Absolutely right on the money!!!!
Thank you A-man!!! I guess all I had to do was post some pictures of my home shop to get me some credibility from you
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.P. Racer View Post
Thank you A-man!!! I guess all I had to do was post some pictures of my home shop to get me some credibility from you
(Couldn't resist as this was the first thing that popped into my mind when reading this.....)

Quote:
-- Sally Field, Best Actress for "Places in the Heart," after having won in 1980 for "Norma Rae": "I haven't had an orthodox career, and I've wanted more than anything to have your respect. The first time I didn't feel it, but this time I feel it, and I can't deny the fact that you like me, right now, you like me!" (1985)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › where can I find the factory edge specs for my skis...