New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

K2 Recons talk to me

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Have a ski bud wants to swop me a pair of 174 recons with the system binding setup for my 170 RX'8s. I'm pretty much settled on the 175 RX 8's so I guess I don't need em.

I have Volkl Explosivs....where does a Recon fit in?

What'll they do for me?

:

Former huge K2 junkie, KVC's, TNC's, fours, merlin 6 etc, but other than a couple of demo runs on 174 crossfires, I have zero miles on their china products.

I am 6' 180 lbs. Level 8 on groomed terrain.

Recons? I'm thinking hey what the heck, I'll give em a whirl. My thoughts are the 181 would be better in that ski but hey, it's a swop right?

Talk a little Recon if you will.
post #2 of 13
They do skl long. That 174 is more like a 178.
post #3 of 13
That 174 will likely give you grins.

I have rarely heard of anyone who's tried the recon and didn't love it.

If you don't like it, let me know, I've got a friend looking for one in that size.
post #4 of 13
Since you will be getting another RX-8, the Recon will fill the middle slot of the classic three ski quiver. Most of the K2 Apache series feel basically the same. They are damp, smooth, and easy going. They are known for having modest edge grip and energy but they are super forgiving and will generally offer no surprises.

Think............."Cadillac"

SJ
post #5 of 13
Here's one person (and I know many, many others) who hates the Recon. I think it is a intermediate level ski at best that has been well marketed to more advanced skiers. Takes no effort to turn, weighs an absolute ton, doesn't grip all that well, chatters like a mad-man at speed.
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierhj View Post
Here's one person (and I know many, many others) who hates the Recon. I think it is a intermediate level ski at best that has been well marketed to more advanced skiers. Takes no effort to turn, weighs an absolute ton, doesn't grip all that well, chatters like a mad-man at speed.
For a low-energy skier, they are great. If you ski aggressively or fast, look elsewhere. The performance at the high end just isn't there compared to many other brands, who are putting out more aggressive skis that are laterally stiffer and much more stable. Around here, they seem to be the choice for the over-60 crowd. Hey, nothing wrong with that, as many people don't ski fast or aggressively and want an "easy" ski to take off piste, but it won't be everyone's cup of tea.
post #7 of 13
Never been a big K2 fan and haven't tried them, but thought it telling that they seemed to be the number one rental ski both times I was in Park City. It's probably a better quality ski than your typical rental model, but sounds like it has many of the same characteristics.
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 

thanks, I passed on Recons

Thanks for taking the time to respond folks. Great info on epic, as always.

After polling the results of the knowledgeable folks who posted their opinions, I passed on the deal.....

Still have 170 and 175 RX 8's....but at least one/ maybe both are going on ebay soon....

Brand new skis comin':

stay tuned


post #9 of 13
Yikes, no love for the Recons around here. Not too sure what everyone is talking about. They have ripped for me this year, I can't get enough of them. Brought em out to Crested Butte in January a day after CB got blanketed with 4 feet of snow and they were incredible. Heavy, yes. Pretty forgiving and very powerful on groomers though. Decent flotation in pow.

Highly recommended from an East Coast skier who goes out west once a year.
post #10 of 13
I loved my Recons, unfortunately my accident last year has left them in the garage, awaiting some bindings that will use a different hole pattern. (Old bindings ripped out in the accident and they had already been drilled once before that.) I loved them enough, though, that I went back to their predecessor, the XP, as my groomer ski this season, while using the Outlaws for powder. Both can do either, but the Recon is really not that great for fresh snow that is approaching boot top depth. Nor can I keep up with my former racer daughter on her GS skis...but then I don't think that is an issue with the ski... The Outlaws are really heavy for me, but they LOVE deep chop and sneer at lots of stuff that would deflect a lighter ski. I've been looking for a new pair of Recons all winter that I can afford in a 167, flat or system binding, either will do.

I think you should have taken them myself. They are a VERY popular ski at our resort. (Big Mountain)
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrstrat57 View Post
After polling the results of the knowledgeable folks who posted their opinions, I passed on the deal.....
Good move. Of the many great skis in that catagory, the Recon isn't even close to being competative- sooooo many better choices that'll eat them up and spit them out. The shop where I bring people to rent sometimes doesn't even put thme in the "performance" group anymore.

"Damp" is a nice way of saying dead and boring. It's sort of a toss up between a B2 and a Recon as far as what I'd least like to spend the day on.
post #12 of 13

File in the FWIW category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post
Good move. Of the many great skis in that catagory, the Recon isn't even close to being competative- sooooo many better choices that'll eat them up and spit them out. The shop where I bring people to rent sometimes doesn't even put thme in the "performance" group anymore.

"Damp" is a nice way of saying dead and boring. It's sort of a toss up between a B2 and a Recon as far as what I'd least like to spend the day on.
I skied with a buddy yesterday at Telluide who was on 174 Recons he got about 2 weeks ago mounted tele. He is one of the strongest tele skiers I have ever seen, unsually skis Mantras, and can keep up with the best alpine skiers in any condition or terrain. Conditions were 1" new on top of 5" from the day before. We skied mostly bumps and trees, with some very tight steep lines, and a couple fast groomers, . He totally ripped everything on the Recons and absolutely loves them. He looked as smooth, quick, and relaxed as I've ever seen him. Based on my years of skiing with this guy, and even using some of his hand-me-down skis, I can attest that the Recons can do the job and carve up a storm going fast or slow.

P.S. Just to put my opinion in perspective, anyone who thinks "Damp" is a nice way of saying dead and boring is on a completely different page than I am when it comes to skis. I like mine to be smooth and quite (as does my friend on the Recons), and therefore the more dampening the better. An exciting ski for me is one that does exactly what I tell it to, not one with a personality of its own. Diffent strokes . . .
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by skieast569 View Post
Yikes, no love for the Recons around here. Not too sure what everyone is talking about. They have ripped for me this year, I can't get enough of them. Brought em out to Crested Butte in January a day after CB got blanketed with 4 feet of snow and they were incredible. Heavy, yes. Pretty forgiving and very powerful on groomers though. Decent flotation in pow.

Highly recommended from an East Coast skier who goes out west once a year.
I have to agree. I have been skiing 20+ years and got these skis this year. They do rip on hard pack, powder and they are pretty good in the bumps too. I think they are heavy but only in the hand. I feel they are light as can be on the feet. I think some people just hate a certain brand of manufacture and their posts show it.

Bri
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion