New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2009 EpicSki Gathering Ideas - Page 3

post #61 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Here's an idea. I broached the 7-10 days idea many posts back. Utah seems to be leading with Jackson a close second.

How about a combo.

Two weekends in SLC area with a middle of the week jackson/targhee side trip thrown in for good measure. Depending on the weather (and assuming the roads don't get hammered like they did this year), it's only a 5-6 hr drive. There are enough SLC locals to shuttle folks up there and back. It could make for s
some really fun logistics!

anyway, it's just a thought and I'm not married to it.

L
A lot of people had a hard time meeting up on the 40 mile trip to Snowbasin, so I can imagine the problems if we were to drive to Jackson. Factor in the potential of storms reaking havoc on travel and there is a good chance that a lot of people who opt out of SLC and go only to Jackson will never meet up with the group. Ask Jgiddyup about his fun trek from Jackson to SLC.

SPeaking for myself, I will only get 4 days out there and would like them all to be in one place. My time away from my family is too precious to lose ~ 2 days travelling. I think a lot of people will feel the same way. It's great that this is being discussed so early.
post #62 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by northeasterner View Post
A lot of people had a hard time meeting up on the 40 mile trip to Snowbasin, so I can imagine the problems if we were to drive to Jackson. Factor in the potential of storms reaking havoc on travel and there is a good chance that a lot of people who opt out of SLC and go only to Jackson will never meet up with the group. Ask Jgiddyup about his fun trek from Jackson to SLC.

SPeaking for myself, I will only get 4 days out there and would like them all to be in one place. My time away from my family is too precious to lose ~ 2 days travelling. I think a lot of people will feel the same way. It's great that this is being discussed so early.
OTOH...

The most people we ever seem to see in one place for a Gathering is about 20-30. A Gathering is, by definition, an incredibly loose amalgam of people with different budgets, skiing levels, and objectives for the trip. It is nearly impossible to agree on lodging, for instance, because everybody has different price points and preferences.

In my own opinion, I approach one of these with the idea that if I get to meet and ski with a few new people the trip has been a success. I think SLC is nearly the perfect place to do a Gathering because of the enormous selection of skiing and lodging within a very short distance.

The "locals" who volunteer as the cat-herders for one of these tend to hear a lot of back-channel lobbying for this ski area on that day or that hotel and so forth.

Witness this year's disagreement between the chargers who wanted to be in the liftline by 8:30am so they could get first tracks versus those who preferred to approach their vacation in a bit more leisurely fashion. This is ALWAYS going to be the case and the poor stiffs that try to organize things have to take that into account.

Having been involved in a few of these, I eventually came to the conclusion that we're theoretically dealing with people who have all reached the age of adulthood. Somebody announces the morning and afternoon meeting place and time and then anybody who is resourceful enough to show up at the designated spots can easily assimilate into a group. If "stuff happens" and somebody misses the arranged time, then that's life. I think that's all the organizers can do. Personally, I'm not interested in wearing a ribbon or carrying a radio.

So back to the idea of a 7-10 day Gathering. A lot of people can make one weekend or the other and some can make it for the entire time. If a side trip to JH/GT is included within that seven or ten days, some people will go and some people won't. Depending on the dates, I'll be happy to serve as one of the organizers at the Jackson Hole Mountain Resort. It would be great to ski with a few people who haven't been here but I also know perfectly well that a side trip to JH won't fit into the time or financial budgets of many people. That, also, is life.

All of that said, Salt Lake City is pretty hard to beat from the standpoint of cheap and convenient air connections, cheap and abundant lodging, and fantastic access to some of the best skiing anywhere.
post #63 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Peters View Post
If a side trip to JH/GT is included within that seven or ten days, some people will go and some people won't.
if a side trip is attractive, except for the drive...

http://www.jacksonholealltrans.com/expressschedule.html
post #64 of 83
Utah is the bomb-diggy.

I have been contemplating uprooting to Colo, but now may consider the land of 3.2 brew. The skiing there was so sickness I'm still recovering (and it made the already Spring conditions in T'Hoe totally Procol Harem by comparison).

That said, Jackson is sweetness, too. Besides GT and JH, there's also Snow King, which is a ripping little hill with some serious vert and some nice hike-to chutes. I LOVE that place. $39 lift tix good from 10am until 8pm T-S. And you can stumble off the hill to a sweet bar next to the parking lot.
post #65 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
Utah is the bomb-diggy.
inquiring minds wanna, you know...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=diggy
post #66 of 83
I thought the communication while we were there was pretty good. We had a chain of cell phone numbers that connected pretty much everybody....well until somebody lost their cell phone and broke the chain. :-)
post #67 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattL View Post
I thought the communication while we were there was pretty good. We had a chain of cell phone numbers that connected pretty much everybody....well until somebody lost their cell phone and broke the chain. :-)
Agreed next seasons planning should include a rope connecting bushwacker to his phone.
post #68 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie
Here's an idea. I broached the 7-10 days idea many posts back. Utah seems to be leading with Jackson a close second.

How about a combo.

Two weekends in SLC area with a middle of the week jackson/targhee side trip thrown in for good measure. Depending on the weather (and assuming the roads don't get hammered like they did this year), it's only a 5-6 hr drive. There are enough SLC locals to shuttle folks up there and back. It could make for s
some really fun logistics!

anyway, it's just a thought and I'm not married to it.

L
A SL and Jackson combo sounds appealing. Except, weekends in SL would mean more lines in the lift.

And those who can only do one extended weekend end up having no one to ski with at SLC once the gang move to Jackson.

Seems to me 4 days in SLC followed by 4 days in Jackson might work out better. Those who only want to ski Jackson can also fly straight to Jackson instead.
post #69 of 83
Let's reduce this to numbers... http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=66729
post #70 of 83
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tromano View Post
Agreed next seasons planning should include a rope connecting bushwacker to his phone.
....and tie the other end to whoever was walking around with Oboe
post #71 of 83
The "The mega SLC + Jackson combo tour " idea has merit. It takes the SLC event and adds a few days in the Tetons. All the people who only want the SLC portion can have what they want while the "Combo" tour exspands the event for those that can do both.

Michael
post #72 of 83
It seems to me that some people are expecting a bit too much from the 'organizers' of the Gatherings. Remember these events are Gatherings, not neatly packaged group trips or ski camps(not that I am a veteran or anything - It's just obvious how this works). You show up and ski with people, simple as that. How you get there, when you show up, where you stay, what you eat, where you apres, etc. is up to you. As others pointed out this was planned well in advance, with very little changes. If you want to make sure you find everybody simply PM for a couple key people's cell phone numbers. They will most likely give them to you. Get in the loop dudes.

This was my first meeting of any Bears IRL and I thought it was super easy.

Sorry for the rant. I just don't think any 'improvement' is needed.
post #73 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete No. Idaho View Post
Just been to one gathering PNW Ski Crawl last year but it was small compared to Utah this year. In following lead above by Uncle Louie. I would really like to attend one of these, Utah would be perfect. However I am unsure if I can keep up in i.e., deep powder. For example I am probably an advanced skier but short of experience in deep powder and don't do any hucking anymore etc. Are there any groups that form up to ski together that aren't experts? How about pseudo new guys that doesn't know anyone, never skied Utah before etc. Example: I'm new blood to Epic inspite of my old blood status.

Sounds like a great time except if I have to kill myself keeping up all week and end up to damn tired to make it to the bar at the end of the day.
Y'know, this seems to be a concern that keeps coming up and appears to keep people attending these gatherings - people thinking they won't have anyone to keep up with. I need company! I'm definitely not one of those who is comfortable in deep powder (although I'm working on it!) or probably will never be hucking off cliffs. And there were at least two other Bears just like me there as well. While I certainly can't guarantee I'll be at the next Gathering, it's at least penciled in to my calendar.

Perhaps, as people post their intent to attend one of these gatherings (be it an Epic Gathering or LGC), they could include their ability level? That way, for those who are wavering, they can see that they WILL have others at their skill level to keep them company. Any other ideas? I just hate to see people miss out on the fun.
post #74 of 83
in my experience, people find skiers of similar skill and ski-sensibility quickly and easily. there are always the chargers, the middle-of-the-pack types, those happy to meander along casually, etc.

if getting left behind is a worry, let it go. you will find your group. you will have fun.
post #75 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattL View Post
It seems to me that some people are expecting a bit too much from the 'organizers' of the Gatherings. Remember these events are Gatherings, not neatly packaged group trips or ski camps(not that I am a veteran or anything - It's just obvious how this works). You show up and ski with people, simple as that. How you get there, when you show up, where you stay, what you eat, where you apres, etc. is up to you. As others pointed out this was planned well in advance, with very little changes. If you want to make sure you find everybody simply PM for a couple key people's cell phone numbers. They will most likely give them to you. Get in the loop dudes.

This was my first meeting of any Bears IRL and I thought it was super easy.

Sorry for the rant. I just don't think any 'improvement' is needed.
Not even close to a rant bro. Its all pretty much like you said. I thought it was great.

There is no reason for people to be afraid of not being able to keep up with the group. Item: Sunday at snowbird. bushwacker led 30 people ona 4 hour tour of snow bird, no one got lost, every one was able to keep up, some of us pushed ourselves to ski new challenging terrain but I think most of us had a great time. In the afternoon groups split off to take it easy, turn it up to 11, or just explore different areas. I am pretty sure that most people will find groups to ski with and have a wonderful time. You would really pretty much have to decide to ski alone, other wise it is really easy to find people who have similar interests.
post #76 of 83
Even yet another idea to toss out. I've got a trunk full of monkey wrenches.

So, we've got lots of folks here that live in ski country. Why should this be gathering in the singular form when it can be gatherings in the plural form. Locals, pick a weekend(s) that works for for you, organize something, have folks show up. Travelrs, bring enthusiam and beer (if your headed to UT!)

See where I'm going with this?

L
post #77 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattL View Post
I thought the communication while we were there was pretty good. We had a chain of cell phone numbers that connected pretty much everybody....well until somebody lost their cell phone and broke the chain. :-)
You have 1 new message in you inbox....

"Um, Hi. This is Bob Peters. Josh has lost his phone, so if laure is looking for us, she can call me instead...."
post #78 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by northeasterner View Post
My time away from my family is too precious to lose ~ 2 days travelling.
Psst. I don't think you understand. Finish sking snowbasin early one day, 3-3:30 pack up the rigs and be in Jackson around 9-9:30. Repeat on the return trip! Nobody's losing ski days to travel if I can help it!!!

That's how bushwacker would do it anyway!
post #79 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Travelrs, bring enthusiam and beer (if your headed to UT!)

See where I'm going with this?

L
Athanasaw v. United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Psst. I don't think you understand. Finish sking snowbasin early one day, 3-3:30 pack up the rigs* and be in Jackson around 9-9:30. Repeat on the return trip! Nobody's losing ski days to travel if I can help it!!!

That's how bushwacker would do it anyway!
*short buses
post #80 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post
Athanasaw v. United States
Awww, come on. You're not going to let a little something like "the law" get in the way of a good time are you?

I guess we'll just have to pick up our own if/when we head to Jackson....
post #81 of 83
Can we reserve a hot tub?
post #82 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post
Can we reserve a hot tub?
Your wish is my command.

post #83 of 83
You scare me

To see that video, and that last scene, in connection with Jan/Feb 2009 is just...




begging for an 'official video' vote.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home