or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nice Rack?

post #1 of 56
Thread Starter 
I am hell bent on keeping my Subie as my demo van. I can now hold (up to) 19 pair of skis. 9 in the box up top and another 10 in the car now that I made this rack. I can fit 10 and still carry a third passenger or put that side down and have a good amount of storage along with the skis. It is amazing how far $20 will get you at Home Depot. Thought?

post #2 of 56
I want to ski the GS skis.
post #3 of 56
Very nice. When are you bringing them to Blue? Or Elk? Or Vt?
post #4 of 56
...and, cool rack.

Thats all.
post #5 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
...Thought?
Only one ... make sure you wear your helmet. A panic stop or multiple hit accident and you're going to have razor sharp projectiles flying around your head. That is if you keep your edges tuned, which I'm sure you do.

Be careful out there!
post #6 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by evansilver View Post
Very nice. When are you bringing them to Blue? Or Elk? Or Vt?
Might do an Elk Demo next week if I can get away for a day. I am heading out to Wisp MD for a shop. Maybe next Tuesday?
post #7 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeluvaSkier View Post
I want to ski the GS skis.
I know you do.
post #8 of 56
Wow, Philpug has a nice rack!

Betcha don't hear that every day!!
post #9 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by medmarkco View Post
Only one ... make sure you wear your helmet. A panic stop or multiple hit accident and you're going to have razor sharp projectiles flying around your head. That is if you keep your edges tuned, which I'm sure you do.

Be careful out there!
I think Richard Zednick would second this thought:
You do have a method of restraining the 10 pairs inside I presume?
post #10 of 56
A couple of bungee cords oughta do it.
post #11 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
Wow, Philpug has a nice rack!

Betcha don't hear that every day!!
Glad YOU broke the ice. For $20 I was thinking I'd see something a little different when I clicked in....

I knew he was keeping all those tight sweaters for something.
post #12 of 56
And here I went thinking there'd be boobs, but actually this was much better
post #13 of 56
Can I see a picture of your famous sweater on your rack?

Phil, how do you anchor the skis? As skierj and medmarko noted, they are projectiles in a quick stop/accident.

And ecaxtly when do you use 19 pairs of skis in one trip?
post #14 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdad View Post

And ecaxtly when do you use 19 pairs of skis in one trip?
I'm guessing when he does demo days since he's a Hart rep. Phil, you sure you can't make up an excuse to bring them out to Colorado so I can demo?
post #15 of 56
swing made a simple yet effective rack for his Jeep Cherokee. He notched out four 2x6s and stacks them. He can hold about 15 pairs of skis inside I believe, with a drop cloth on top and room for soft goods on top of that. Maybe he will post a pic.
post #16 of 56
Wow I think this is a great idea! I'm a welder and fabricator and if anyone would be looking for an aluminum model like this to fit their car/suv I could make anything you could want to fit your equipment. I'm thinking it might be more space-effective if I made notches to lay them on their side though... Materials would be pretty cheap for something like this so keep your kidneys. Love the thought process though! Keep it safe & where u want it without scratching everything up. A lil pressure with a bungee cord and you'll be safe and sound and so will your skis. Anyone PM me if you'd like to get a ballpark to get one for yourself.
post #17 of 56
Thread Starter 
depending on how the (ski) brakes are locked, there isn't much chance of the skis coming forward, but I will still have some security system a la a bungie or a bar across.
post #18 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by medmarkco View Post
Glad YOU broke the ice. For $20 I was thinking I'd see something a little different when I clicked in....

I knew he was keeping all those tight sweaters for something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooK View Post
And here I went thinking there'd be boobs, but actually this was much better
As Medmarkco says, I broke the ice, but you are testing my skills at holding back.
My question is this............
Are you SURE there aren't any Boobs in this thread?

Not pointing any fingers.......just sayin'
post #19 of 56
Trish....

What's wrong with you people. A respected poster puts up a post about his homemade ski rack and in no time it has 17 reply's.

What were you thinking about.

Yes Trish, nice rack...
post #20 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Capacity View Post
Trish....

What's wrong with you people. A respected poster puts up a post about his homemade ski rack and in no time it has 17 reply's.

What were you thinking about.
You're post would be better with this ...>

In all seriousness, I do have an idea about a nice way to attach bungee's to this contraption. Its similar to the manner in which we strap down our water skis under the deck of our jet boat.
(is that respectful enough )
post #21 of 56
Double jointed?

OMG
post #22 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
Double jointed?

OMG
post #23 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
As Medmarkco says, I broke the ice, but you are testing my skills at holding back.
My question is this............
Are you SURE there aren't any Boobs in this thread?

Not pointing any fingers.......just sayin'
Only yours :
post #24 of 56
Phil, be safe. In a roll over like I came across on 46 on my way to CB a few years ago (wet & went to black ice), those skis would be all over the place.

In this case the driver was out like a light. "Cold cocked" by a Fender Strat that "snuck" by the head rest in an older Toyota 4Runner.
post #25 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki View Post
Phil, be safe. In a roll over like I came across on 46 on my way to CB a few years ago (wet & went to black ice), those skis would be all over the place.

In this case the driver was out like a light. "Cold cocked" by a Fender Strat that "snuck" by the head rest in an older Toyota 4Runner.
OMG not again Yuki All those metaphors : A Fender Strat I know what is but the rest? - what does that sentence mean? - sad to be Danish when Yuki is posting (;
post #26 of 56
Any way you can make the front tower bars lower than the back ones? No reason to carry the heal-piece clearance all the way through... this would also lower the tips on the top skis away from your jugular.

Not only would I get bungies to secure it, but I'd wrap them in something.

I rolled my rig twice. (it was a big rig- '72 blazer) the first time, my 3ft x 2ft x 2ft tool box from the back cargo area ended up in the passenger seat. there was only 2ft of clearance between the seat and the roof, not to mention I rolled and flattened the roof. How it got to the passenger seat is beyond me. Both times I rolled it, I was occupying all livable space after the roll.

I like your rack, it's clean. But I'm a paranoid driver now and probably wouldn't feel comfortable riding shotgun with those skis like that. I say- package them up! Build a housing to shell the rack you made.

at least you're less likely to roll in your subie than a van. (or a '72 blazer)
post #27 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
Thought?

Add a second pair of front to back bars, so as to bungee the top and bottom layer independently.

I assume you're currently running the bungee from vertical post across skis to Tee, wrapping, and returning underneath Tee?
post #28 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
As Medmarkco says, I broke the ice, but you are testing my skills at holding back.
My question is this............
Are you SURE there aren't any Boobs in this thread?

Not pointing any fingers.......just sayin'
No doubt there are. Only questionis augmented or natural?
post #29 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by medmarkco View Post
No doubt there are. Only questionis augmented or natural?
HAHAHAHA How great ::::du ck:
post #30 of 56
Nice idea Phil. I can see all sorts of tweaks and variations on this theme -- it's got a lot of flexibility.

I like the longish cargo area in the Subaru wagons -- I used to be able to fit up to 185cm skis straight behind the front seats in my 05 Outback. I built a carpeted cargo deck for that car so the skis could go underneath and still give me a second tier for everything else.

My current car has a much shorter front-back length and it's been a hassle. One thing I have done for my solo day trips, when I bring along a quiver, is to remove the headrest from the passenger seat and replace it with a carpeted piece of wood with two pegs on the bottom. The two pegs fit into the holes for the headrest posts. I can prop skis up on top of the board (tips forward) with tails on the cargo floor and bungie them front and back. That buys me room for 4 skis inside while leaving a lot of spare cargo space. Wet skis ride home on the roof rack.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion