New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sweet Potato Fries

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I don't know why but I just have to share my apres' ski pleasure today.

A friend suggested we go to a different place for some relaxation after skiing, a little place called the Blue Tractor.

I had the best Tuna Melt, on a toasted sour dough bread, with some house pickles that were unusual but excellent, and sweet potato fries.

Yum!!
post #2 of 12

Sweet Potato Fries

Inevitably make me think of bison burgers served on a big heaping mound of them.


In Calgary, somewhere between 5th and 10th Avenue, just after massive gear shopping and massive booze shopping, just prior to the drive out through Yoho.


Yummm.

PS of late I also associate them with the Bayou, 695 S. State St. in SLC. Lev Black Lion Lager and alligator cheesecake
post #3 of 12
I thought sweet potatoes was a southern thing. Michigan, Calgary? Can you find sweet potato pie up north?
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post
Can you find sweet potato pie up north?
too busy with the beaver tails
post #5 of 12
Yum, sweet potato fries. Had some the other night. Comprex's post reminds me of one time as a child, when my mother finally gave in to my brother's constant begging for her to make some American food so he could eat something normal like the other kids. She said she'd make us burgers and fries, and ended up making buffalo fish burgers and sweet potato fries. So much for looking normal
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post
Inevitably make me think of bison burgers served on a big heaping mound of them.


In Calgary, somewhere between 5th and 10th Avenue, just after massive gear shopping and massive booze shopping, just prior to the drive out through Yoho.


Yummm.

PS of late I also associate them with the Bayou, 695 S. State St. in SLC. Lev Black Lion Lager and alligator cheesecake
i have been back several time:
post #7 of 12
Sweet Potato fries is very much a western New York thing. Since I cannot eat regular potatoes, sweet potatoes are a big treat. In NY they smother them with Honey if you would like. Very good dipped in honey.
post #8 of 12
Quote:
eat something normal like the other kids
Whoa, Num! I knew Chicago was a tough town, but around here it is definitely NOT normal to eat the other kids!
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barnes/Colorado View Post
Whoa, Num! I knew Chicago was a tough town, but around here it is definitely NOT normal to eat the other kids!
Anything with relish on it in Chicago goes...

Tried some yam fries in Vancouver once. Better than I thought they'd be (aioli sauce was great too). Are yams and sweet potato's the same?
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowphat View Post
Anything with relish on it in Chicago goes...

Tried some yam fries in Vancouver once. Better than I thought they'd be (aioli sauce was great too). Are yams and sweet potato's the same?
In my neck of the woods they are the same. Someone else may have a different story to tell.
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
In my neck of the woods they are the same. Someone else may have a different story to tell.
In North America sweet potatoes and yams are the same thing. Technically true yams are not available here, they are a root grown in Africa.
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barnes/Colorado View Post
Whoa, Num! I knew Chicago was a tough town, but around here it is definitely NOT normal to eat the other kids!
You know the saying: if you can't join 'em, eat 'em.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Drink