or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Community Discussions & Forum News › Some forums show as 'private'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Some forums show as 'private'

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hmm,

Not the usual 'private' like if you are looking at the supporters lounge and are not logged in---that say "private'

I'm talking about like right now on my computer, the forum for:

"Epicski Academies and X Team adventure" shows "private"

however, I can open it in any event. I wonder (out loud) if it has something to do with say---the only new posts (based on my personal settings) are in the academy student forums---which i do not have permission to access???

just wondering

carry on
post #2 of 12
That forum sometimes shows as private to me as well, but whenever I click on it it opens.
post #3 of 12
The mysteries of vBulletin are great, indeed...
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh View Post
The mysteries of vBulletin are great, indeed...
in lay terms

no clue eh?



just teasing
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_j View Post
in lay terms

no clue eh?



just teasing
Yep. Exactly.

My guess is similar to yours and that it has something to do with what's visible, what's not, what permissions you have, and what the nesting of the forums is. There are so many interactions, though, that it's virtually impossible to figure out exactly what's happening and why.

...point of diminishing returns and all.
post #6 of 12
This is a mystery to me. I recently moved the ESA Learning forum to be a sub-forum of EpicSki Academy and X-Team Adventures. That forum is restricted to members that have attended ESA and is "private" unless you are a member of the ESA group. The private indicator shouldn't be showing up on the main front-end forum.
post #7 of 12
You see the "private" on the main forum page when the most recent post to a forum is not a post to the forum listed on the main forum page but to a subforum to that forum to which you do not have access.

It's a consequence of choosing to use subforums and choosing to have subforums with restricted access.
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh View Post
Yep. Exactly.

My guess is similar to yours and that it has something to do with what's visible, what's not, what permissions you have, and what the nesting of the forums is. There are so many interactions, though, that it's virtually impossible to figure out exactly what's happening and why.

...point of diminishing returns and all.

Have you tried switching it off and switching it back on again?
That solves most IT bugs for me!
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Matola View Post
You see the "private" on the main forum page when the most recent post to a forum is not a post to the forum listed on the main forum page but to a subforum to that forum to which you do not have access.

It's a consequence of choosing to use subforums and choosing to have subforums with restricted access.
Thanks, Michael, that would have been my hypothesis.
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Matola View Post
You see the "private" on the main forum page when the most recent post to a forum is not a post to the forum listed on the main forum page but to a subforum to that forum to which you do not have access.
This sentence is elegant and amazing and gives me a huge headache! Ouch! Ouch!
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Matola View Post
You see the "private" on the main forum page when the most recent post to a forum is not a post to the forum listed on the main forum page but to a subforum to that forum to which you do not have access.
This sentence is elegant and amazing and gives me a huge headache! Ouch! Ouch!
The party of the first part in the first post has given a headache to the party of the second part during the second post which the party of the third part, having already experienced a headache, has completely imploded.

And now, for something completely different......a man with a few tumors....



Janet: "I don't like a man with too many muscles."
Rocky: "That's why you have Brad."
post #12 of 12
More ouch ouch ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonni View Post
The party of the first part in the first post has given a headache to the party of the second part during the second post which the party of the third part, having already experienced a headache, has completely imploded.

And now, for something completely different......a man with a few tumors....



Janet: "I don't like a man with too many muscles."
Rocky: "That's why you have Brad."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Community Discussions & Forum News › Some forums show as 'private'