New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stevens Pass or Crystal??

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
What would a bear do if found itself in Seattle and could ski a Sunday-Monday for the best powder terrain etc. The Bear like steep and deep to coin a cliche'. Is there a third Sugg. beside SP or Crystal? Many thnaks for your insights!!
post #2 of 15
Easy choice-----Crystal
post #3 of 15
post #4 of 15
By the way, I like this "What Would a Bear Do..." thing. I think we could do a whole series of these: "What Would a Bear Do If He Were Stuck in Boise?": "What Would a Bear With a Two-Day Layover in Portland"; "What Would a Bear Do With Five Days in Aspen and a Company Credit Card". I like it!
post #5 of 15
Crystal for sure. The third option might be Alpental if you want something closer with great steeps, but Crystal is better.
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
Crystal for sure. The third option might be Alpental if you want something closer with great steeps, but Crystal is better.
Alpen-small?: Let's get real. 1500 foot lower base elevation, poor snow quality and tiny. Not to mention the high probability that I-90 will be closed. (This season anyway)

http://www.summitatsnoqualmie.com/in...lpental_lg.asp


410 and Crystal mt. Blvd. has not closed once this season!

I live 40 minutes from Alpental and have not skied there during the winter in at least 5 years.

Crystal takes me 1 hour & 25 minutes. the x-tra 45 minutes is a no-brainer!
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camhamster View Post
The Bear like steep and deep
Crystal.
post #8 of 15
how has the snow been? It looks deep but is it fluffy and light or sierra cement? I like what I am seeing for steeps but how about beginner terrain for my 3 year old?
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by asland View Post
how has the snow been? It looks deep but is it fluffy and light or sierra cement? I like what I am seeing for steeps but how about beginner terrain for my 3 year old?
The snow has been amazing light and totally skiable. Some days easier to ski then groomed almost it has been so light and 18-24" deep!

We call it Cascade concrete. Sierra cement is in the southern neck of the woods down in The Fruit & nuts state

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/01/18/travel/escapes/18crystal.html

As for beginner terrain. There is a small TRIPLE chair at the base called Discovery. Very wide open and very mild. Also might be abe able to ride up detachable 6-pack, Chinook Express and Ski Broadway to Skid road. All greens, but has a little bit of pitch (very mild) in a couple of spots.
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post
Alpen-small?: Let's get real. 1500 foot lower base elevation, poor snow quality and tiny. Not to mention the high probability that I-90 will be closed. (This season anyway)

http://www.summitatsnoqualmie.com/in...lpental_lg.asp


410 and Crystal mt. Blvd. has not closed once this season!

I live 40 minutes from Alpental and have not skied there during the winter in at least 5 years.

Crystal takes me 1 hour & 25 minutes. the x-tra 45 minutes is a no-brainer!
OK, calm down. Take a big breath...........now let it out. Count slowly to 20.

OK?

Please re-read my post. Don't tell me that Alpental doesn't have steeps. He wanted a third option, I gave him one. Depending on what he's in Seattle for, and what the weather is like, and how much time he has, Alpental might be appropriate. On the right day it can be fantastic. In most cases, Crystal is better as I stated in my post. I believe in letting people know of the options and then letting them decide.

Camhamster,
If you like steep and DEEP another option could be Mt. Baker. But Atomicman will tell you that it's too low, not enough vertical, too far from Seattle, and that I'm nuts to even mention it in the same thread as Crystal Mt.
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
But Atomicman will tell you that it's too low, not enough vertical, too far from Seattle, and that I'm nuts to even mention it in the same thread as Crystal Mt.
Exactly, no one in their right mind is going to drive 3+ hours one way when they have 2 days here to Baker. I would just keep on going North and hit Whistler instead!!!!

i never said Alpental wasn't steep in places. but be honest now (And I have skied Alpental since about 1967) be it is extremley limited terrain and normally much warmer and wetter then Stevens or Crystal. It is pretty much a one run pony! maybe 2 if you count Debbie's Gold.(Base is at 3200 Ft. top at about 5400'. it has 302 skiable acres. (not including non-patrolled/controlled back country).

just the area served by the new Northway chair at Crystal is 1,000 acres alone. Crystal is 2600 acres not including the Southback which is patrolled and controlled!

And Steep???

Upper & Lower Extermintor, Upper Bull, Left Angle, O-meadows, Powder Bowl, Campbell Basin, the doors, Memorial Forest, Northway Bowl, Grubstake, sunnyside, Bear Pits, Niagras, Teddy Bear chutes, Snorting Elk Bowl, Penny Dawg's Cliffs, Glory days, Brand-X, Pucker's gulch and i have not even gotten to Southback Like Brain Damage and Pinball!

if you had a week or two here, OK go roam around and (But honestly, i would just stick to Crystal then too) see some other local areas.

But with 2 days only, why not ski 2600 Acres, 2600+ vertical base at 4450 Ft. Top at 7K + and 2 high speed detachable 6-packs, 2 high speed Det quads, 1 High speed fixed double (2.5 mile run) One fixed triple, and 4 fixed doubles. 3 lodges and an absolutely amazing view of Mt. Rainier if weather cooperates!

http://www.nwsource.com/outdoors/scr...ports&id=10095
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 

Thanks!!!

You guys are the best, despite what the maggots say about you!!!

Just kidding...

I up there skiing (maybe solo) SUN Feb 24 and 25 if anyone wants to take a few turns call me 310-430-1858

much appreciated


Peter
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camhamster View Post
You guys are the best, despite what the maggots say about you!!!

Just kidding...

I up there skiing (maybe solo) SUN Feb 24 and 25 if anyone wants to take a few turns call me 310-430-1858

much appreciated


Peter
I will most likely be there. I'll give you a jingle. Am going up tomorrow! Top of the mountain has been closed for 2 days (high wind and a ton of new, 23" in the last 48 hours) But should be back opened tomorrow!
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post
I will most likely be there. I'll give you a jingle. Am going up tomorrow! Top of the mountain has been closed for 2 days (high wind and a ton of new, 23" in the last 48 hours) But hsould be back opened tomorrow!

Lucky SOB. Avy Basin and Chair 6 should be off the hook. I would just add one caveat to all this Crystal talk; yes it has the better and more terrain but doesn't always get the big dumps that Stevens or Alpy get. I was up at Stevens last week when they got 18" and Crystal only had 6" All things being equal in the snow dept, Crystal is the place to be.
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
Lucky SOB. Avy Basin and Chair 6 should be off the hook. I would just add one caveat to all this Crystal talk; yes it has the better and more terrain but doesn't always get the big dumps that Stevens or Alpy get. I was up at Stevens last week when they got 18" and Crystal only had 6" All things being equal in the snow dept, Crystal is the place to be.
that is sometimes ture but for the majority of this season, not the case. Crystal has been hammered!!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel