or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Fitness, Health, Nutrition, Injury, and Recovery › Quadriceps Tendon Rupture, Repair and Rehab
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Quadriceps Tendon Rupture, Repair and Rehab - Page 16

post #451 of 10802
Greetings All!

Welcome JLW! Sorry for your injury but I am sure you will find this thread helpful! Time, effort and attitude and you will get there!

Drose: how is your husband doing? and you?

DavidM: sorry for your wife's cancer...prayers for you guys!

BoxingProg: glad your surgery went well! Surgery seems so long ago for me, but sooooo real at the same time!

Recently my golfing buddy had cartilage surgery...320# guy, totally torn meniscus. He may be able to golf in 3 weeks!! WOW! sounds like a walk in the park compared to QTR!

Interesting on the fluoroquinones. I am guessing about 2 years ago this past spring, I slipped down a couple of stairs at home (very similar to what caused my QTR) and felt pain in the tendon for about 2 weeks after (same one that ruptured). I had been on flouro's earlier that year....hard for me to beleive that had any correlation but interesting the same.

Keep progressing guys and gals!

post #452 of 10802

14 Weeks

I had OS visit #4 last Monday. The doctor was very happy with progress-to-date and said I don't need to return for any more follow-up visits. He said I can start running and playing soccer again if I want, although I am in no hurry to do so. I asked him about doing lower body weightlifting exercises but he said that he recommends waiting until six months after surgery. He said I can try working up to just the bar (i.e. 45 lbs) for squats in the meantime. ROM is at about 125.

ankhsign: It looks like I will be working out of town for 3-5 weeks starting Monday. I know you travel a lot so do you have any advice for staying with the rehabilitation program while out of town? I am going to try to get a hotel with a gym, although they are usually very limited for equipment. Regarding the Stampede tents, pretty much all of the bars try to set up tents now to cash in on the event. I try to go to the vendor-sponsored events so I don't have to pay the inflated beer prices.

in2falling: Good to hear the swelling is down and ROM is moving in the right direction.

NYBB: Good to hear you have found a good PT. I haven't followed the Olympia recently but I see that Jay Cutler is the winner now. I wonder if he will reign as long as Ronnie Coleman. I will be interested to hear what exercises your PT prescribes and what he recommends as far as strengthening exercises down the road.
post #453 of 10802
Duncan: When i travel I bring my therabands along and do whatever I can on fitness room equipment, plus whatever regular exercises I did.

Joined the biking crowd today! I got a Specialized Roubaix....tried 7 different bikes. This is a 2005 so I got a good price I felt. Now to get out there and ride!

Best to All! Keep pluggin'!

post #454 of 10802
Papa - I don't know if it's a secret how I got full ROM, but it was hard work, persistance and pain. Physio said I had to push though the pain and I did. What helped the ROM the most I suspect was sitting in a chair and doing heel slides (smooth floor) until heel was behind the front chair legs. Hurt like .... but it works. Using the exercise ball and doing squats also helped. Using theraband to gently pull the ankle up while standing and pulling it towards the butt. While sitting, lifting the leg up towards the chest. I do this all day while on the phone or at my desk. Standing with my leg bend backwards onto a chair and then slowlt leaning back. Lying on my good side and slowly bending the bad leg up towards the butt and holding it. Held it through the pain. Worked up to 120 leg lifts a day, now with 10 lb weights. The bike hurts but it does help. Tilting the treatmill up and walking up hill. Slopes were a challenge. But you know all these exercises already. Key for me was PT and OS said that the rehab hurt like .... and the sooner I went through, the sooner it was over.

Duncan - sorry about you traveling so much. I think I live in airports and hotels. I seek out the ones with good gyms and even basic equipment. I ride the bike and walk up the treadmill. I take theraband with me to wrap around my ankles and to the side walking. I wrap it around both ankles with about a foot between my feet. Then I walk sideways in each direction about 10 steps each way, then back and keep repeating it. I do over 100 leg lifts and use whatever I can in the room. Even putting pillows over the ankle help. I also walk a lot when I travel. And I also do stairs in the hotel vs the elevator. I do all the same stretches I do at home as well. These all help, and I do them 3 times daily.

Hope this helps.
post #455 of 10802
Thread Starter 

23 Weeks out

Hi Gang:
Welcome to drose and JLW. Drose, I know that this injury has bought my wife and I closer together - I hope it does the same for you and your hubby as well. JLW: welcome - you are part of a very small population - females with a QTR - that makes you special!

Did a 40 mile bike ride with a 3300' hill over 16 miles on Saturday. Actually felt like something of an athlete again - was not able to stand and hammer while riding up, but did manage a steady pace and finished the ride when I didn't think I would be able to do so at the beginning. So, progress is still being made.

I still have an issue going down stairs, and hiking down hill - I really need something to hold onto, and sometimes the knee still "gives out" on me at inopportune times - I'm sure it looks hilarious as I throw my hands up to keep my balance. But it alarms my friends and family when they see it. Anybody else having this problem? As far as rehab, I'm still lifting, cycling and hiking for my rehab - seems to be doing the job.

Take care all.

post #456 of 10802

From bad to worse

Hi all. I have not yet had the pleasure for a quad repair but it may be coming.
On June 8 I had a motorcycle crash. We went into the swampy ditch. As the bike slid in I felt a nasty pop just above the knee and viscious pain. I thought for sure the leg was broken as did the paramedics. Thankfully my wife was ok.
Checked out a hospital they said all was fine. A couple days later I insisted my doc send me for ultra sound which indicated a couple minor tears.Thought I was lucky.
I have been going to PT since then and can ride my bike 30km no problem but cannot walk normally or go up stairs.
So again I had to escalate things and demand a ortho check me out.
Today I went. He did some serious poking around and had very worried look on his face. He immediately ordered another ultra sound for tomorrow. He said he feels it is torn and needs to fix it by the weekend.
Now it has been over a month since the injury and I am a bit worried about the repair being effective.
Some years ago I ruptured a bicept tendon and they told me it had to be fixed in 72 hours of forget it.
Has anyone here had the surgery a few weeeks after the injury?
Sorry about the ramble on.
post #457 of 10802
Helmut, welcome to this little corner of EpicSki. Sorry about the injury and I'm sure your doctor will provide an honest answer about what to expect. What kind of bike do you ride? Here's mine. Were you forced off the road, or hit some gravel?

post #458 of 10802

tests and surgery, disability questions, when ok to return to work?

Sorry to hear you are joining this club. Why are they doing another ultra sound test? What about an MRI?
I think the clues of: the pop, can't walk up stairs, can't walk normally are
pretty good that you have a quad tear. I guess I must add I'm not a medical professional, but through personal experience it seems you should have had a more thorough exam and test.

Anyway, I think the MRI would show more than an ultra sound. I don't know what insurance you have, but it is important to get this thing fixed right. Yes, the sooner the better for surgery and outcome. I had my surgery within a week. From what I've read, the longer the time before repair, the more the quad muscle retracts up into the leg and it makes for a harder repair and recovery.

I hope you have a board certified ortho surgeon that has a lot of experience with quad repairs and a good physical therapy team. These are key. I think most people here will agree if you hear or feel a pop, just because an Xray doesn't show a broken bone, it is a pretty good sign that something tore partially or completely like a tendon or muscle and you need to have a more thorough test right away like an MRI. (I know this is more expensive, but this is your leg.)

Knowing what I know now, even if my insurance didn't cover it, I would insist on an MRI to correctly diagnose the problem. I did ask at ER what type of doctor I should follow up with and they said an orthopedic doctor. After being in pain and stuck at ER for 5 hours I was surprised I could even think to ask that question. And the next day I checked online the orthos in my area that were board certified and covered by my insurance and I got lucky on the 2nd call to get an appointment with a highly regarded ortho group in my area with a physical therapy team right next door.

Tomorrow is my 6 week appoinment with ortho. For comparison, I will leave a message here as to my progress and what my doctor says. All I can say now is my PTs are very happy with my progress and I'm on target with where the doctor wanted me now. I just got my disability insurance papers back and signed by my doctor (keep in mind if you have to file, the busy ortho office usually has a turnaround of 5-7 business days just to get those forms back to you, then it takes another 7 business days after the disability insurance people receive the papers to process them.) I'm going to send mine by certified return receipt mail just so I have proof those are received.

How did some of you return to work so soon? Did your doctor release you to go to work? Did you beg to return to work? I'm just wondering because my doctor put me out for 6 weeks and I know he is going to put me out another month or so because my leg is not to 90 degrees and we have a lot of strength building to do and breaking up scar tissue. My doctor signed my papers as "temporarily totally disabled" and just crossed off everything like sitting, standing, lifting, etc.

I'm not going to fight him because I see just how important this PT is and how far we have to go. The PT is a full time job along with eating right, resting, icing, and elevating the leg.

I will beg the doctor to give me a different brace, like those hinged braces. This immobilizer is falling apart--I've had to sew it together several times and it is a pain to put it on, walk to the next exercise at PT, then take it off, put it on, etc. Half the time at home the immobilizer slips down the leg and I'm walking with a straight leg without the help of the immobilizer!

What did most of you have to demonstrate or be able to do before the doctor would release you to work? Did you have restrictions? What were they? Did you have an office job?
post #459 of 10802
Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post
Helmut, welcome to this little corner of EpicSki. Sorry about the injury and I'm sure your doctor will provide an honest answer about what to expect. What kind of bike do you ride? Here's mine. Were you forced off the road, or hit some gravel?

We slid off the road coming out of an S bend. Slipped on a crushed milk jug(bet that doesn't happen very often). I ride a 2006 Yamaha Roadstar which is sbeing fixed 7000 bucks damage.
As far as a second ultra sound goes-- they are doing it because they appearently missed something the first time. I would love to have an MRI done but up here in Ontario Canada the waiting list is about 6 months long. We cannot line jump because we are medically paid for by the government. We do not have the option of paying on our own. There are some advantages to the US HMO's i think.
post #460 of 10802
Well just got back from ultra sound and now they say it is torn worse than the origional pics indicated. I said I doubt that you just plain missed it. They said it was possible. Anyway it is not completely torn which has got to be a good thing. Hopefully the ortho will let it heal on it's own if possible. Some of your stories on the repair pain and down time scare the beegeebers out of me. I have gone through 2 ACL repairs and do not want to relive that. Find out tomorrow.
post #461 of 10802

22 Weeks

Hey -

It's been over 3 weeks since I checked in. My biggest accomplishment is that I noticed I'm not aware of every step I take anymore, and that elastic band feeling around my knees is all but gone. Other than some morning stiffness and some weakness in my quads, I feel like I'm about 75 - 80% of what I was. The only thing I haven't done yet is jog or run. So, how have other people done with running? Also, has anyone done much kneeling or crawling?

My employer has scheduled me to take the FCE (Functional Capacity Evaluation) Test before I can return to work. Has anyone taken this test or know anything about it?

For the new ones, as long as you're working really hard every day, don't worry about your ROM and strength, because you will get it back. But, if you're slacking off, you may have a real problem. Your rehab has to come before anything else.

Keep the faith...

Tiger Bait
post #462 of 10802

Two Week Post Surgery Update

Tomorrow will be two weeks post surgery. I have read others have not been able to work. Luckily I am a Director of Information Systems, so I was able to work from home three days postop, and then physically appear at work six days postop.

Hardest parts are climbing the stairs to and from the second floor every day and telling everyone the story of what happened. I also have to descend my stairs at home in order to get to work. I keep my leg up on a trash can and do these best I can to get around to meetings, etc..

My stitches come out tomorrow and the doctor will give my brace 30 deg ROM. I then will work through this 30 deg ROM a few times of day using my good leg as support. In 4 to 6 weeks I will start PT.

I hope everyone is doing well.
post #463 of 10802

6 week ortho visit (4 weeks of PT)

Helmut - Hope all goes well. I didn't know you were in Canada. Healthcare is a very confusing issue. I don't want to get political, but a certain movie about the healthcare systems in U.S., Canada, and Europe made it look like the U.S. had the worst system and made it look like there wasn't much of a wait in Canada or England for health care.

Regardless, I found out that when I was born they had to do an emergency C-section and my parents thought they were covered by insurance. However, they got a letter in a few weeks saying it was either "experimental or not necessary treatment" to have a C-section and insurance refused to pay! In the doctors' opinions, my Mom and I could have both died because I just wasn't going to make it the natural way. So my parents had to get a loan from my Dad's parents. In a case like that, what do you do? Do the procedure and worry about payment later or let 2 people die? Scary!

Anyway, I had my 6 week visit at my ortho doc (he did my surgery). He is a man of few words and very busy. He was very pleased with my progress, said I was right on target. I have a 45 degree range of motion, and can lift my leg several inches off the table while lying down and hold it. In fact, the doctor went to pick up my leg and I said, oh, you don't have to do that, watch this.

I should add that my accident was 5/28, surgery 6/5, staples out 6/17, therapy started 6/18 (3 x a week), so I've had 11 formal therapy sessions since the staples were out (I also do my exercises at home 3 times a day, takes about an hour each session.) So really, I've only done therapy for almost 4 weeks now.

Told me I could ditch the immobilizer. Put me out another 4 weeks with physical therapy 3 times a week to work on increased range of motion.

I asked him if I could have a hinged brace. He felt I didn't need it! I know he is confident in my ability, but I am not, so I told him I would feel better with a hinged brace until I'm fully recovered. So the nurse went to the stock room to get me an XXL neoprene brace that has covered metal hinges (to charge to my insurance--I wonder what this thing costs?). There is a hole to allow the kneecap to show and a layer of padding all around the kneecap. It wraps on with velcro and then has straps to make it tighter. It does not have adjustable or locking hinges!

My doctor told me I could swing my leg off the bed--huh? I'm telling you he is more confident in me than I am. My leg only bends to 45 r.o.m. right now, so I won't be swinging it off the bed until it has almost 90 r.o.m.! I'm so afraid I'm going to overbend it and tweak it and end up ripping something inside and have swelling!

It was freaky trying to get in the car with the new brace. I made my leg stay straight to get in because I'm afraid of overbending it, especially since I can't lock it to 45 rom for right now. I also got a cart at a store and walked around the store to see how the new brace feels. I don't feel as protected and I walk slower than with the immobilizer! So, I may still wear the immobilizer when I have to go out in public, like to the pharmacy or out to eat after therapy. I will wear the small brace to therapy and around the house to help with the bending, but we will take it off anyway at therapy for all my exercises.

So, I'm going to PT tomorrow and I'll ask them questions about what we are doing for increasing rom and strength. I mean I'm not even at the level of trying to walk or do stairs yet! I'll ask them what the target is. I mean the doctor's Rx of "increase rom" for the next 4 weeks doesn't address all my issues. What about walking and stairs and balance and all that stuff? I highly doubt I'll be going back to work in 4 weeks.

At PT last week they said they were going to add 2 new exercises to my regimen this week. I do a scissor slide on the table (whatever you want to call it (ab/ad slide) and have now added a 5 pound weight to my leg at home and at therapy for that. The leg is feeling stronger and more stable every day. However, I'm keeping my leg straight to go up and down my home stairs until we start working on stairs in therapy. I also do "mini leg lifts" on this contraption with a sliding sled. I have to have help to get in and out of it and, once again, I'm afraid I'm going to overbend and screw my knee up. They told me to use 20% of my weight on the injured leg and 80% of my weight on my good leg--good trick you try it. I also sit on a Cybex and push down with my feet (but that isn't using my body weight and barely has a few pounds on it), and I use another machine with a 5 pound weight and there is a pad beneath my leg and I push down (once again, trying not to overbend).

Does everyone else freak out about overbending the knee? I mean sure I want to increase my rom, and I do my heel slides and grab a towel around my foot and pull up a little more to stretch out the knee, but I'm so afraid of overbending, because I over did it once on those exercises and I kept waking up every hour all night and I don't want that kind of night again!

Best of luck to all!
post #464 of 10802
Here is a interesting article on how to use heat and cold to help stretch out and remodel connective tissue.


Calquadpop:At 6 weeks that tendon is pretty close to being healed, my OS told me that at 8 to 12 weeks it pretty much healed back to the knee cap. So ditch the immobilizer and use the brace and get that knee moving.
post #465 of 10802
Well it is official. I will be joining your ranks on Sunday. Doc said today that it is definitley torn. About a 1/2" left holding. He said I will be in a straing brace for 4 weeks then physio begins.
It is somewhat comforting to see that you have all had pretty good results so I expect the same. Will report in just like you all have. See how it goes.
post #466 of 10802
Helmut: welcome but sorry you had to join the club. I think you are "fortunate" in that you dont have a complete tear. I had a complete tear but was "fortunate" that there was still some tendon attached to the patella so OS could do a tendon-to-tendon suture, and there was still good vascularity so it was possible. I beleive most of our compatriots had to have holes drilled to reattach and think that is more painful and maybe a longer time to get to PT, although from the thread, some were great to get going quickly. I recall about 3 weeks+ in straight brace...PT ordered (with OS approval) hinged brace early...get to PT asap post surgery. Best of luck!

All: great to hear of all your progress!

Keep pluggin' !

post #467 of 10802
Bulldog thanks. However due to the location of the tear to OS will have to drill the dreaded holes to reattach. Probably going to hurt like my ACL surgery. Doc gave my HYROMORPHON for the pain. For note to all though today I picked up my new crutches and found a new set that have shocks in them. tried them out in the store and they are way nicer than the old school style see them here http://www.millennialmedical.com/solutions-shock.php 79.99 in Canada
post #468 of 10802

Question for you and/or your physical therapist - what is most passive r.o.m. to achieve in one session? I think 10 degrees is too much - what do you think?

I have an important question that I hope some of you can answer before I go to therapy on Monday afternoon.

The head therapist was on vacation last week, so that means the people that work there follow what the head guy wrote on my chart. Now, keep in mind I just had the stabilizer removed last Tuesday after I saw the doctor. He told me to let it hang off the bed and let gravity pull it down. Range of motion was about 50 degrees.

I went to therapy on Wednesday and the one guy told me I was supposed to be at 60 degrees by Friday ("because that is what the head guy wrote on my chart") Well, I worked hard on on my leg at therapy on Wednesday and during my 3 sessions at home on Thursday, and I thought I was going to be at 55 degrees by Friday. No one manipulated my leg on Wednesday after exercises (as in passive range of motion where they bend the leg back a bit while it is dangling off the table). Also, no one used a sonogram or did deep tissue massage on Wednesday to help loosen up scar tissue.

On Friday, I had added more weight to my exercises, on "Total Gym" I was forcing my knees to bend more on that and holding the stretch, and just like I have been doing on my heel slides I use a towel or strap to pull up a little more on that leg and hold the stretch to increase r.o.m.
Well, when I was done with my exercises on Friday, my leg only measured 50. So they have me dangle my legs off the table and they take my leg back and hold it 10 seconds, release, and do that 4 times to force my leg to 60 degrees.

Well, don't you all think that trying to force the leg back 10 degrees is too much in one session? Well I do. I don't care what the goal was, I think we should have waited until Monday to measure the rom and then I would have had all weekend to get it to 60. Now my leg is bothering me so much I can't even barely get it to 45 on my heel slides. Also, when they bent it back, I couldn't stop crying. Look, I can take some pain and I like to control what I'm doing, but I don't see any need for that torture when I have been progressively increasing my rom on my own and through the exercises.

So, I'm going to talk to the head physical therapist and ask him what is recommended in one session. If he say 3 or 5 degrees, I could accept that. I'm going to tell him we are not doing 10 degrees in one session ever again.

I'm all for working on this, but isn't that what the heel slides and the exercises are for at therapy? To slowly get your leg to bend more and break up the scar tissue? I can't barely stand my knee right now. I'm scared to death that they will f**k up the tendon or something else in my knee trying to force it 10 degrees back in one session.

What do you all think? Ask you therapists what the recommended degrees to bend the knee back in one session is. I'm thinking the max is 5 degrees. Please confirm. Most of those people working there have never dealt with Quad rupture, except for the head therapist, so I'm leery of anyone else trying to manipulate my leg and I'm going to tell the head therapist.

post #469 of 10802

15.5 Weeks

CQP: I agree with you Brenda, just do what you feel comfortable with. My prescription was 0-40 degrees ROM until 4.5 weeks and 0-60 degrees until 8.5 weeks. At 8.5 weeks he removed restrictions. My OS said that I did not have to push through the pain barrier when doing ROM exercises. I know Ankhsign had a different prescription though, and he found that pushing the limits really helped. When I got to 60 degrees and around 7 weeks I started going on long walks and I think that really helped with the ROM. It is also way more fun than PT and helps you get back to a normal gait. Once I got to about 85 I started using the elliptical trainer which I think was also good at building ROM. At around 105 I started biking. My recommendation is to try to do as much walking as possible, maybe 1-2 hours per day.
post #470 of 10802
I/m baaaak. Flights were a killer this week. I am really getting tired of airports. Although the dreaded airport ramps do help with the knee.

Brenda, the OS and PT did push me hard. And I cursed them for doing it at the time. But in the end it did help speed the recovery. But it hurt like ................ and I often felt like I was going backward. My thought though is that you, in concert with your OS, should set your own goals. You know what helps, what hurts and how you are progressing. If your goal is to push to 60 and the OS says to go for it, then do it. If the OS or Dr or PT says go for it, and you say no, just remember who's knee it is. No one knows better what you are going through than you. Well and us too. :-)

I am glad I pushed myself through the pain and I know it helped me. but you have to set your own limits and say when to push harder and when to back off. There were days when I went to physio and said, you know what, it hurts like he.. today so let;s take it easy. Other days I said, you know it hurts, but lets push it. But it's my knee, so I set the limits. If they want to set the limits, let them go and tear their own tendon. Then they can set the goals all they want.

For what it's worth, that's my thoughts.

Best wishes Brenda and congrats on your progress to date. Keep it up. And best of luck to everyone else too.

Oh, I forgot my own progress report. I tried the stair climber at the gym. What the hell was I thinking? Got about 1/2 flight before knee said no thanks. Rode the bike for 1/2 hour and walked on the treadmill for 1/2 hour up a steep incline. Both were ok. ROM still at 150ish and still pull the heel up t the butt several times a day. Still use 10 lb leg weights and did about 150 leg raises today. Did 30 squats and went down about half way using the exercise ball against the wall. Did about 100 lifting the knee straight up while sitting, also with 10 lb on ankle. Lots of stretches and walked about a mile today. Not bad considering it was about 90 degrees today.

Kinda got freaked out last Sunday when I was up a ladder painting. Ladder moved, I hit the panic button thinking about my knee and jumped. What the heck was I thinking? Fortunately was only up a couple of feet, and I landed ok. Phew! Remind me not to do that again.
post #471 of 10802
Hello To Everyone Russ50 Here,
Its Been 5 Months To The Day I Fell And Tore Both My Quad Tendons. Its Been A Long Journey Started Back To Work On May 10th To All Who Are New Its Gets Better It Just Takes Time.im Able To Do Most Of What I Used To Do ,still Have Trouble Climing Ladders And Going Down Stairs. Put My Boat In The Water 2 Weeks Ago And Went Fishing ,boy Did That Feel Great.i Have Notice That I Walk A Little Slower But Im Gettig Faster Every Week,to All Who Have Been Here Awhile I Thank You. To All Who Are New It Does Get Better Thanks To All Russ50
post #472 of 10802

13 plus weeks PostOP

Greetings to all.

Finished my 18th PT visit last week. Progress is being made.

As many have reported here, through a lot of hard work and constant effort, I now can happily say that almost all the stiffness is gone, and the "rubber band" feeling has also went away.

I saw the OS a week ago last Thursday. He is very happy with my progress. His opinion is that the most important issue to deal with first in your recovery is to regain full range of motion. To him that is very important, and I have now attained that goal. I have total ROM of motion that very closely matches my other good leg. Now that this goal has been met, I am working very hard to regain my strength. That the OS has said will take some time. Every day it gets a little better.

Now for the bad news. Both the OS and the PT suspect that I have the beginnings of what is called a Baker cyst in my bad knee. Its a collection of fluid behind the knee in the joint area. More than likely its being caused by a torn meniscus in that same knee. I knew about this when I had the QTR repaired, and the OS told me that this issue had to wait. We are hoping that more exercise and PT will clam it down. If not, then another round of surgery will be needed. I knew this all along, so it isn't a surprise. Time will tell where it is going.:

Overall I am happy with the progress. To all those struggling with regaining ROM, keep working at it and it will eventually come to fruition. When I first started passive flexion exercises I had barely 25 or 30 degrees of ROM. I worked really hard both at PT and home to bring that number up. I still work at it now to keep the knee joint limber.

On the home front it looks like the prognosis for my wife's cancer issue might be better than first thought. Generally feeling is that what the MRI has shown is nothing more than scar tissue from radiation treatment. A biopsy is scheduled for the near future to confirm this finding.

Over the last two weeks my regular PT was vacation, and their practice was being covered by a visiting PT. Just so happens that this PT has 40+ years in the business and did a lot of years at the West Point Military Academy. Due to the physical nature of WPMA training, he saw a lot of QTR's in those years there. He was very helpful in pushing me that extra amount that I now need to do. As measured by him, my bad leg is at about 60% of the strength of the good leg. He reccomended buying a aerobic step block for use in my home PT sessions, in order to build up the area of strength that I need to handle downstairs travel.

Helmut - welcome to this forum. You will find it a great source of inspiration and information regarding this terrible injury.

CaliforniaQuadPop - I returned to work light duty after about six weeks. I'm lucky in that I am in the engineering profession and most of my work is done on a computer. My company allowed me to work from home for quite a while longer in order to support my recovery. In essence, they begged me to return and I was lucky in that I could define the rules for that return. Had that not been the case I personally would not have been ready for a return until at least eight weeks, maybe more. I didn't even drive a car for eight weeks or so. I was just too plain scared and lucky enough to have a wonderful wife and a close friend that took me wherever I needed to go. My disability insurance had figured me out for at least 10 weeks, with a possible renewal based on a conversation with the doctor.

For me I placed my recovery above all else. In essence I placed most everything else in my life on hold as I work to recover. Now that I am back to work, I had to modify those rules somewhat, but no matter what my recovery is tops.

WyoPapa - keep at it. Yes somedays you feel like you are going backwards, but you are making progress. I never ever thought that at this point that I would have full ROM with few or no complaints, but it is true that you too will get there.

Welcome to anyone new that I might have forgotten to note. Sorry that you have joined our group, but with a good attitude and a lot of hard rehab work you put this behind you.

Overall life is starting to return to normal somewhat. Swinging a golf club is next.

Thanks to all that post here.

Good luck to all with their recovery. May you fully recover and forget that this ever happened to you.

post #473 of 10802

18 Days Postop

Hi All,

I am now 18 days postop. I was just passively able to flex my leg to about 45 degrees as the doctor prescribed. I have not taken any pain medication since this morning. I have some pain, but its manageable. So far, this is the best day I have had and things are looking up.

DavidM - good to hear that your wife might be in much better shape than originally thought. Sorry to hear about your other knee troubles and hoping that it will not be a major problem.

post #474 of 10802

7 weeks 4 days post

Hello to all, it's been a while since my last post. Welcome to those that have joined since and for the rest keep up the good work and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

So here's my progress so far. For those that don't know I had bi-lateral QTR. I started PT after 4 weeks and was at 80 degrees to start with. I've been going three times/week. My right knee is lagging behind the left a bit. My right is about 100 degrees according to my PT and my left is 105 - 110 degrees. I can go up stairs usually without using the hand rail, going down I can go straight if I hold on to the rail and wall but sometimes go side ways. I'm riding the bike in PT, squatting with the ball against the wall, lying down leg press, seated curls, leg extensions with weight at the ankle, and various other exercises and strecthes. I ditched the leg braces after 2 1/2 weeks, went to the gym at week three for upper body and have been going 5x/wk, started driving my stick shift sports car by week 5. After week 6 I went to work and got off disability. I go into the office once or twice a week then work from home since I still go to PT 3x/wk. I've been piloting my boat on the Great South Bay for the last 2 weeks which feels great. I thought my whole summer was shot but thankfully my progress has been faster than was thought.

It's getting late and I'm going into the office tomorrow, have to drive to Connecticut from Long Island, NY. I will bid everyone a good night and dreams of walking normal with full ROM and no pain.

Remember, whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, the mind of man can achieve.

post #475 of 10802
David - glad to hear about your progress and that your wife is better than originally thought. This is good news. Hope that you both continue to get better.

Boxing - good to hear you are doing better. Keep it up and keep getting better.

Brenda -how are you making out with that PT? Hope you're doing better too.

Does anyone besides me think you are living in the movie Groundog Day? In spite of your really hard work, you wake up each day and you are right back to where you were the previous day with your progress. So I give the knee a good hard workout, and then again the next morning I am right back to where I was. This is frustrating.

Cheers everyone. Keep up the good work and progress.
post #476 of 10802

78 degees - one week after leg immobilizer removed!

Hope everyone's therapy is going well.

Yes, it does seem like Groundhog day, every day, same thing, same routine--at least I'm seeing progress.

5/28 Accident
6/5 Surgery
6/17 Staples out
6/18 Therapy started (mostly table exercises, added machines much later)
7/15 Immobilizer off (got a hinged brace, only wear it when going outside)
7/23 78 degrees rom! (and that was measured with my legs hanging off the table and I pushed my leg back as far as it would go on its own--no one pushed my leg back, so that is a true reading)

I worked like crazy on my leg at home on 7/22. I had 4 therapy sessions at home (of course with breaks inbetween). I used my hypnosis CD for pain and relaxation before my sessions. Well, I was able to get my knee really high by the end of the day! I was beat too.

On 7/23 I showed the head therapist that when I dangled my legs off the table the injured one almost looks like 90 degrees. Anyway, no one is working on my leg anymore but me! The head therapist was impressed and he added some new exercises.

Here is what my therapist said - compare it to what yours says. He said at this point he is not worried about scar tissue affecting the bending of my knee joint. He said at 90 degrees they figure you are out of the water as far as scar tissue. At this point, he said it will just take time for the tendon to slowly stretch out. Therefore, I figure no one is going to be bending my leg because scar tissue is not an issue now and you cannot rush the stretching of that tendon!

Also, the therapist said my "bread and butter" would be the mini squats against the wall. At therapy they use one of those large balls behind you and one of those long handled stepping stools to hold onto just in case.
(At home, I just squat against a door and use a chair and slowly go down and up 10 times for 3 sets.)

It is good the head therapist is back as he can see my progress and instantly add more exercises and such. (Boy and can he rattle off stuff to the assistant therapist: Ok, I want so and so to do closed chain, squat, this, that--and he says it so fast I don't even know how the assistant can understand!) But, the head therapist really knows his stuff and I feel way more comfortable that he is back from vacation and in there to evaluate everyone personally. He is the only one to make recommendation for new exercises and note it in the files, the rest just follow what he says.

My head therapist watched me and added stepping (on I think it is called a flex board) holding onto that walking railing. Anyway, it is only a few inches high and covered with neoprene and absorbs any shock when you step on it. He had me step up with my injured leg and down with my injured leg (10 times for 3 sets). I balance on my injured leg for 15 seconds, 5 times. I use the stationary bike for 8 minutes. Of course not a full turn. I push up as far as I can go, then back as far as I can go. I do my table exercises: leg raises (with weights & E-stim), side-to-side slide (with weights), quad squeeze (with E-stim), heel raises (with strap), then Cybex machine pushing down and letting my legs go up as far as I can (setting 4). Total gym (they moved it up about 4 notches), and 7 pounds on the leg machine (I'm pushing back with my leg while sitting). Then they have me walk using the railing for about 10 minutes (a lot more boring than my grocery store walking).

- I was doing 5 pounds on my leg slides and leg lifts on the bed. I graduated to 10 pounds last night at home with no problem!

- Walking - This is my tip for getting in walking. It is hotter than hell out here in So. Cal. so I can't see going outside on a hard sidewalk and crutching up and down in the heat. So, in the evening I go to a grocery store (most are open late out here) and get a cart. I walk up and down every aisle (picking up a few things I might need) concentrating on heel, toe, bending the leg, etc. I wear the hinge brace for protection--no it doesn't lock so I'm free to bend as much as I can). I put my elbows on the cart handle and hold it further up, trying to stand straight (it is more challenging trying to grip the handle in the normal way). The cart allows me to speed up my pace and get a smooth gait. Also, it gives me something to look at instead of pacing around in my living room (boring). I feel pretty tired after that. As I'm able to do more, then I may go up and down the aisles twice, and so on.

I have my 30 year high school reunion tomorrow! I'm going with a friend that is also from the same class. Good thing I bought flat shoes. I bought my outfit months before the accident!

Ok, I'm off to therapy at the facility. Everyone have a good weekend and keep working hard.
post #477 of 10802
Well I'm finally home. Surgery was last Sunday just got out today what an ordeal.
They got me out of bed on Monday for a walk all was going well then boom my lights went. Pulminary embolism no warning just complete body shutdown. Off to ICU I go until today. have to be on blodd thinners now for at least 6 months. Fortunately no serious lung damage. Docs said it was a moderate event whatever than means.
Problem now is that the wound keeps weeping and soaked my new splint. Hopefully that stops.
Good news is that the pain has been very light really easily controlled with Toridol and periodic morphine injections. Hope all of you are doing well and continue to do so.
post #478 of 10802
Jeez, Helmut, sorry to hear about your troubles. I am not sure why there is so much variation in the surgeries. I had a 70% tear. I remember it being 12:15, and then it was 2:45. Thirty minutes later I was getting in the car with my wife, driving home, walking up the stairs. Of course, the next day brought great pain and two Norco's every 4 hours (after calling the doctor and saying I needed more than one Norco every 4), but no issues from the wound, and nothing serious about the rest of my health except for Norco's creaming my stomach, and feeling kind of weak and tired. Since you are home now, your recovery will speed up dramatically. Just take it a day at a time. It is amazing how each day there is a marked improvement on the reduction in pain as well as ability to move around.

Good luck to all!!
post #479 of 10802

23 Weeks

Hey -

Thursday I took my FCE Test so I could return to work full duty with the power company. It was over two hours of non-stop weight lifting, ladder climbing, stairs, bending, squatting, crawling and treadmill. I got my report yesterday and scored excellent on every section and even above excellent on leg strength. I am returning to work Monday morning without any restrictions. I am so ready and my wife and kids are ready for me to go back, too. Working in high voltage substations and electrical vaults, I have to have my legs strong. It paid off (not financially, of course) staying out of work and working my legs so hard.

I feel like I'm up to about 85% of what I was, but I will have to continue my hard workouts daily. I hope to end up in better shape than before my BQTR happened. What's gotten me this far is my faith, a good wife, hard work and this forum.

Ankhsign: I do have some morning stiffness, so even though I used to take mainly showers, now I take a hot bath in the mornings and stretch my legs. That usually gets them ready for the day.

Helmut2468: Sounds like a tough hospital stay. Well, at least you're home now and can start your recovery.

Tiger Bait
post #480 of 10802
Geeze helmut. Glad to hear that you're ok. Isn't the knee surgery enough to deal with, never mind adding other problems. Take care and keep on improving.

Tiger - thanks for the suggestion. I agree, my hot tub does help with the stiffness.

Take care everyone and glad to hear of everyone's progress.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Fitness, Health, Nutrition, Injury, and Recovery › Quadriceps Tendon Rupture, Repair and Rehab