or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Fitness, Health, Nutrition, Injury, and Recovery › Quadriceps Tendon Rupture, Repair and Rehab
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Quadriceps Tendon Rupture, Repair and Rehab - Page 79

post #2341 of 10808

9.5 weeks post op

11.5 weeks post injury


Hello all,

We got a breath of fresh weather in the New Year here in Virginia. Today I had the motive and opportunity to get outside and hike for the first time since the injury. I did about an hour at a nearby park, nothing too harry, I just walked bike trails in the backwoods. It was wonderful to be outside. My knee still wants to lock and it feels a bit wobbly at times, and every step I take still feels tight, but for the first time I felt this will all be behind me someday.



If you’re at 20 degrees three weeks out, you’re doing damn good. I was pretty much healed before I started bending. Can you do leg lifts yet? The big thing is to not push too hard and not put yourself in a situation where you can slip and fall. You need to get to about 8 weeks before you are pretty much healed. Hang in there.

post #2342 of 10808

14 weeks from Injury and Surgery


cyndiver: I thinks we're all freaked out about re - rupturing the repair. I know I am. The OS has me paranoid re taking it easy until they heal completely. I find myself absolutely staring at the stairs as I go down (holding railing of course). I was 6 weeks in braces before any bending so your way ahead of me. Now the range of motion is 130 plus and improving every week it seems. One leg is a little ahead of the other which I'm told is normal. I haven't had the ROM officially measured recently but know it getting better. However, still unsteady at time when I'm walking.

post #2343 of 10808

Hey Cnydiver: I can definitely relate! My OS started me post op at 30 ROM and per her orders the PT moved it to 40 ROM last week. I kept asking him, " Are you sure, are you sure?"  The next day the PA who works with the OS  told me it was fine, that, in fact, during the surgery they moved my leg to 60 ROM to check the repair. Still VERY NERVOUS about having to trust other people about this, especially since they are moving it 10 degrees per week with 50% weight bearing. Seems pretty aggressive to me. PT and PA both say to never, never do anything without the brace on (as if I'd even consider it, lol).  I'm cleared to take showers, for example, but I am sticking with stand up baths for awhile. No way am I getting into a slippery surface place like a shower stall! Personally, I will feel like a huge milestone will be passed when they officially declare my tendon healed  (right now about 3-4 weeks assuming all goes well and I manage to avoid doing something stupid). I did go back to work yesterday on crutches and it felt pretty good. If nothing else, it helps the time go by. One good thing; I've been doing  lots and lots of ab crunches and some upper body weight work along with my therapy exercises. My significant other (SO) noticed the first traces of a six pack beginning to show and some other upper body definition. Maybe I'll get that plus out of all this after all.


By the way, any of you who are further along the way, are you using canes or crutches when you walk now? Generally no one mentions that. I was just wondering. All the best. One day closer. Mel

post #2344 of 10808

Quad Rippers -

A picture is worth a thousand words.  Back on skis at around 21 weeks for an hour skate workout in Rangeley, Maine.  Felt great, no problems but I'm not interested in falling down so taking it very easy on pretty easy terrain.  Heal fast!


First Skate Workout.jpg

post #2345 of 10808
Thread Starter 

01/13/08 - First QTR Injury

02/01/08 - First QTR Surgery

02/11/10 - Second QTR Injury (same knee)

03/03/10 - Second QTR Surgery


Hello all:


I am sorry to see all the new "faces" in the forum - but a welcome to all of you - sharing my experiences has helped me immeasurably the past couple of years - I hope it does the same for all of you.  I am keeping a promise to myself to keep writing on this thread until I am completely healed - I will consider myself to be "completely healed" when I am once again able to alpine ski at high speeds on very difficult, steep terrain.


I'm not there yet, although I believe I could be alpine skiing this year.  The OS suggested that I only ski on perfect days on easy, groomed terrain. I decided that I would spend this winter nordic skiing.  Spent a week in Aspen over Christmas with relatives and got 5 days in on the local nordic system - both skating and classic.  Since the start of the nordic season in Yellowstone at Thanksgiving, I've had a total of 16 nordic days - not a bad start to the season!


The knee continues to get stronger, slowly but surely - I really think this time the repair is going to work.  The knee is weaker than the other one and also smaller, but the difference is getting smaller and smaller over time.


Take heart all - it has been almost three years since my initial injury, and I continue to get better - this will happen for all of you as well, if you simply persevere and stick with your programs, plans and dreams.  You can do it!


Happy New Year to all.


post #2346 of 10808

Happy New year all,


 7 weeks since the injury and will be 7 weeks on Saturday from the date of surgery.


Just been to my first PT session this morning and had ROM measured at 45. looking back on everyone else this seems fairly standard given the fact it was the 1st "bend" . Have been given half a dozen exercises to work on and have been told to think of them as my "job" for the next 2 weeks. No mention of moving to a hinged brace as yet but he did say he'd check with the OS in time for my next visit. Slightly disconcerting as there was no mention on the notes that he had from the OS that i would require one at any stage. Don't think it will matter much for the next two weeks but surly there must but some need for assisting/ controlling load-bearing against what ROM will allow when trying to walk normally as the ROM increases.


Good news that the Legend is on the mend. With out this thread, I'd be lost. Brilliant for reference and "support".  Nice one.


Anyway. Time to work up a sweat.   


All the best


post #2347 of 10808

Nordicracer - wonderful picture. Shows what can be done with "both" ruptured. Encouraging to the single and bilateral guys alike.  Looks like you had lots of snow - I spent a lot of time at Sugarloaf back awhile ago so know he area a little. Maybe a controlled "fall" without reinjury might even build your confidence - not that I would be that interested in "testing" my repair in that manner yet. I see the doctor next week. I'll see what he tells me the typical time period is where one is no more susceptable in reinjuring it than someone without the injury. I'll be back.

post #2348 of 10808

Greetings Quaddies

At 10 weeks out from surgery I’m hitting 106 degrees ROM. And the big news:  I finally got full circle on the stationary bike in PT. I’m starting to use resistive bands in PT and doing squats on this weird sliding board they have. Its nice to finally begin to use some of the machines I’ve been looking at in the PT room! I’m told the slalom slide board is next.  Still stiff when I walk, going down stairs is no joy – but I am noticing steady progress.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this list. I has been a major learning experience for me.


Its kind of like the third leg in a triad: OS, PT, Quad Forum.


Thanks for all your help.

post #2349 of 10808

Gentle rehab and exercise physiologists are mutually exclusive statements. What are you leg pressing he asks? 40kg I say nice and conservative. Several reps later, let’s try 60 each side then 80 ... and that was just the start. Its nice to finally start lifting some decent weight and not fear your leg is going to unravel like some wet spaghetti simply snapping under the most minor strain.


Video analysis still shows my gait is not perfect even after all the work, still progress is progress and I am getting closer to my goal but there is still a way to go

post #2350 of 10808

I'm 6 months post-op from a partial tear. My VMO is still much smaller than my other leg, but here is an excercise that I do at work several times a day, and it has fixed my gait issue. 


I got two 3 pound rocks from the beach and tied them into an old sock.  I drape the sock over the instep of my foot, with my foot pointed out straight (in line with the leg), sit up very straight on the end of my chair, and do 20 to 30 slow lifts and lowers with a straight leg, so that my shoe touches the underside of my desk at the top of the lift.  I do this 3 times a day, with both legs....it improves the strength of the rectus femoris quad (RFQ), which is the only quadricep muscle that attaches to your pelvis, rather than femur like the other 3 quads, it is the RFQ brings your upper leg forward when walking

post #2351 of 10808

Nordicracer: Thanks for the pic!


Anybody have a rough estimate - based on your own experience - when driving becomes possible again?


Jayman: WTG. Ten weeks out, great news - that's on the horizon for me, at least, lol.


Yorkiequad: What kind of brace are you using? Just wondering.


Saw the PT yesterday, 3 weeks out, moved brace to 50 degrees per OS, still no active "quad firing" except for belly down leg lifts at knee, no wt. Continuing quad isos and other fitness exercises as well. Using crutches pretty much all the time. Counting the days to release to serious pt - I hope in about 3-4 weeks, we'll see. All the best, folks. Mel

post #2352 of 10808

I injured my left leg, so I was driving one week post-op, with no pain meds of course.  To get in the car, stick your torso into the drivers seat, and swing in your left leg in the brace...mine would just fit with no knee flex needed

post #2353 of 10808

Driving with injury: Check your insurance most policies exclude coverage when you are medically incapacitated. I had to get a surgeons clearance to drive. Otherwise you might find your self in an accident and be technically uninsured

post #2354 of 10808

I tore my L quad tendon Dec 30th.  I got my snowmobile stuck in powder in Island Park, Idaho, no big deal.  Like every other time I packed down some snow next to the machine, lifted track onto this snow and gunned the sled and popped it out as I stood next to it with my hands on the handlebars.  As I attempted to jump up on the machine something happened to the L knee.  I think I actually hit the top of the patella against the back of the L ski causing traumatic rupture.  I'm a family doc and my physical therapist brother-in-law was right there with me.  We quickly figured out I ruptured the quad tendon.  Made it back to Pocatello and ended up in the OR Monday Jan 3rd.  I'm now 4 days out.  I'm just like all of you, 44 and athletic.  I torn L pec tendon 10 years ago and had repair, that was nothing compared to this.  I appreciate all of your comments.  As I stare down rehab I will follow much of your advice.  This last week, especially last 4 days has been a nightmare.  Right now I'm off narcotic pain meds, just motrin now.  I'm in a straight leg brace and on crutches.  I'm still pretty sore and swollen.  Apt with my OS is next week.  Thanks again for sharing all of your experiences.  Andy.

post #2355 of 10808

Two days to cast removal and now 40 days past surgery, 51 from full rupture injury of the left quad tendon.



In my case, Dave, it was the opposite. I received the soft light immobilizer strap on splint until the surgical staples were removed and then they put on a ankle to thigh hard fiberglass cast. That cast comes off on Monday and I expect they will put me into the BioMet adjustable brace to wear through rehab. 



Has anyone had experience with the BioMet brace, I know we have many who have used the Don Joy. I, too, have a problem with slippage does an under liner help with that issue? Also, does wearing the brace directly on the leg vs. over pants make a difference?



Originally Posted by bilateraldave View Post


Thanks to all who provided information on the type of casts they we're privileged to get to use. My my soft, rigid Velcro casts we're not as "secure" as the more solid rigid ones would have been (I did feel they provided for a small ROM - like, maybe a couple of degrees). MY OS told me it was better to avoid the plaster casts as much as possible because they weighted 3 times as much as the ones as I was given. Probably even if I initially had the plaster casts they would have been replaced with the Velcro ones after the staples we're removed.


Happy New Year to all. To the gym!!!

post #2356 of 10808

Melachric - I was driving about a week after the casts came off. Trouble getting into the car (a Corolla is sort of low) but once in the driving was routine. To get in I simply put my butt on the seat and "lifted" each leg into the vehicle. I discovered that driving involved more of rotating the foot between the gas and brake (as opposed to actually having to "lift" the leg) - who would have thought. A standard shift of course would be a lot of problems. Getting out of the car at first I would life and swing both legs out and pull myself up on the door frame. Once up, I was OK. A little unstable, but OK. Now, after 8 more weeks of driving and rehab, getting in and out of the car is routine (no door frame, no lifting). My ROM after 8-9 weeks since cast removals is almost fully restored (I can almost pull my heel up to my butt) but the quads are not strengthened to a point where I'm fully stable. Not running yet but elipitical machine causes no problems.


Andy44 - Hang in there. Recovery begins and pain relieved as soon as the operation is finished. I found that I got rid of the pain pills after the first day I was home from the hospital (3 days after operation). And, considering that I don't think my pain tolerance is that great, thats saying  a lot for the recovery process. And, for a young kid like yourself, no reason it wouldn't be even smoother. Good luck.

post #2357 of 10808

hey andy,


if the swelling is bad i would look into the Donjoy iceman.   my insurance actually paid for it.   i am 6 weeks since surgery and use it everyday.


like everyone says- hang in there each day gets better.   athletic as well.   doing only upper body weights so far.  finally let me take the immobilizer off a few days ago and letting me walk around the house per the PT guy.   little earlier then expected.


good luck-

post #2358 of 10808



I've been in what seems to be commonly referred to as a 3 panel immobilizer for the last 5 weeks ( 7 weeks post op), There is a splint in each panel, one each side of the knee and one down the back.  Fastens with Velcro straps.


Can't wait to be able to drive again. It's a pain using taxis or begging lifts just to do the grocery shopping or visits to the hospital. Have to agree with Auscoach on the need to check your insurance fine print before going back behind the wheel. Have to admit that i manged to drive home from the sports venue immediately after the injury happened. Probably due to my ignorance of what I'd actually done " It'll be okay in the morning, I'll just put a bag of frozen peas on it" . Knew it was screwed within half an hour of getting home and got a taxi to A and E. My Physio also banned me from driving till i could walk without a brace. Although that may change if he gets clearance to put me in a hinged brace.   



Happy rehab all.



post #2359 of 10808

3+ weeks post-op


bilateraldave: Thanks for the summary,  nice to have a benchmark or two for down the road- literally! My PT is extremely "tight" about the driving thing. His general attitude is "no way, no how" for quite awhile. Of course it is a safety and legal issue so, thanks to the cautions I've gotten here, I'll be sure that someone officially releases me to drive. I did some racing back in the day and learned to brake with left foot anyway, so  if I need to do that for awhile it's kind of second nature..


yorkiequad and other forum members: It's interesting to me how much all of our rehab protocols vary. I asked about your (yorkie) brace because my OS (as I keep saying) seems to be taking a much more aggressive approach. Honestly, it worries me a bit. The immobilizer seems much safer than the hinged brace I have, esp since it is at 50 degrees now, 3+ weeks out. I know everyone is different but I'm curious what other folks in the forum think about this. My OS has been impossible to contact, the PT is just following orders and the PA who has seen me once says everything is fine. I know they are the professionals but it sure seems to me that they are swimming against the tide on this one...bottom line is anyone else moving along at this pace? e.g. hinged brace, 10 degrees increase each week, 50% weight bearing, showers OK with walker, quad isos 4X per day (3 sets of 10), prone( belly down) leg lifts to 50 degrees (same #/reps as isos), up every hour minimum 10 minutes on crutches/walker? I've taken everybody's advice (here) to go slow and I'm trying to do so... on the other hand, I don't mind doing the rehab as fast as possible. I'm easily doing the quad isos and the 50 degree prone lifts but I really, really don't want any setbacks... last question for the group: How have your docs convinced you that the rupture is healed (at the six-eight week mark?) X-rays? MRIs? Experience? All thoughts appreciated.


welcome to Andy: Obviously sorry you are here but also glad you joined the forum. These folks have helped me a lot! Good luck all, Mel

post #2360 of 10808

Wow, am I glad I found this place!  I was going crazy not knowing what to expect.  There is such a lack of information on this injury.  This thread has been a godsend.


The Backstory:  I guess I'm the stereotypical "weekend warrior": 47 year-old male, not a gym regular (just ocassional workouts).  Elite soccer goalkeeper in younger days but had not put pads and gloves on in 20 years.  I'm 5'9", playing weight was always 170-180lbs  but had gradually ballooned to 230 after quitting smoking 13 years ago. Managed to quench my competitive thirst by playing fast-pitch softball every year since then.  Start practicing in mid-March, regular season May through August, playoffs in September.  So basically I'd be somewhat active from March to September and not so much the rest of the time.  Over the years I grew increasingly curious to see if I could still tend goal anywhere near the level I used to, and last Fall when I was invited to join an over-40 team, I eagerly accepted.


The Injury - 11/28/2010: Cold Sunday morning, maybe 40 degrees tops.  Kickoff at 9:00 AM sharp, I got to the field late so did not have much time to stretch or warm-up.  Took a few medium-range kicks (maybe 15 yards, felt okay), then got in front of the goal to receive a few more, and then it was time.  Game started fine, made my first save a couple of minutes in, diving up and to my left, and I remember thinking "hey, that wasn't bad, you still have some spring!"  Couple of minutes later a play comes from my left side, and I'm moving from left to right in front of the goal, following the play.  It was nothing strenuous, just sort of bouncing on the balls of my feet, but as I planted my right foot I felt a crunch.  Now, I've always heard people talk about a pop but I did not feel or hear any pop, it was more like a crunching feeling, and then I was on the ground writhing in pain. It took about 10 minutes before the pain subsided enough for me to allow them to try to lift me off the ground. Of course I couldn't put any weight on it so they carried me to the bench, where one of the guys proceeded to try to give me a Ben-Gay rubdown on the knee.  After a few screams from me he realized that wasn't going to work and just wrapped it in an ace bandage.  By this time the ambulance was supposedly on its way but the field was in NJ, and I didn't want to be taken to a NJ hospital (nothing against NJ, just that my wife doesn't drive on highways and it would've been hard for her to get to Jersey).  So I got in my car and drove myself across the Lincoln Tunnel into Manhattan, to the ER at NYU Medical Center (yeah, that was fun. I only screamed about four-five times!).


Things did not get much better there as most of the staff did not know what to make of the injury.  After being unable to do straight leg raises they said something about "extensor mechanism damage" but nothing specific.  They sent me for x-rays and then an orthopedic resident came in and told me I had a patellar tendon rupture, but still seemed puzzled as to why the pain and swelling was all above the knee and not below.  That was a bit unsettling.  Did they even know there's such a thing as a quadriceps tendon? Because based on where the pain was I think it would've been obvious.  Anyway, they slapped on a straight brace, gave me a script for Percocet, and a date with the OS for a couple of days later.


OS Visit - 12/1/2010: I took the time in between to read up on extensor mechanism damage and learned about the quadriceps tendon and realized that's exactly where my pain was, so I mentioned it to the OS but he was pretty much disinterested.  He played around with my knee and after looking at the x-rays said patellar tendon rupture.  Again I mentioned the quadriceps and he said "maybe, we won't know until we go in".  I asked him if he was going to do an MRI and he said it wasn't necessary, that the x-ray and the examination told him everything he needed to know.  I was like "really??? you're not even sure which tendon you're supposed to repair!". He assured me he'd done dozens of these, so we scheduled the surgery for the following week.


Surgery - 12/7/2010: 10 days after injury I finally go under the knife.  This is my first surgery of any kind so I'm not sure what to expect.  They had no problems going in but apparently had some difficulty waking me up.  Went in at 7:00 AM and it was about 1:00 PM when I finally came to.  Never got to talk to the OS but he told my wife that it was in fact the quadriceps tendon after all.  They put a shorter straight brace on me and told me to come back in 2 weeks.  They sent me home about 5:00 PM.  I was pretty much out of it the rest of the day so it wasn't until the morning when I started feeling the pain.  It was pretty bad so I started taking 2 Percocet every 4 hours, which is the higher end of the dosage range, and did that for the whole 2 weeks I was home.  What the heck did I know?  I'd never taken strong narcotics before. These pills messed up my stomach to the point that I was barely able to eat for those 2 weeks, I lost 15 pounds. I was at 215lbs by the time of the next OS visit, which is the lightest I've been in at least 6-7 years.


OS Visit - 12/22/2010:  Got staples removed and fitted with a softer straight brace, mostly foam.  It does feel a lot better, especially without the staples.  OS tells me there was not enough tendon left on the end so he had to drill into the patella .  He tells me to keep the straight brace on for another 4 weeks before trying to bend the knee.  The only exercises he wants me to do are straight leg raises to strenghten the quad muscle, which has turned to mush in only 3 weeks.  I tell him how I've been using the painkillers and he takes me off them immediately. It turns out I was only supposed to use them sparingly after the first few days.  Now he tells me!  I really wish I had found this forum sooner.  It would've saved me a lot of grief.


So here I am now, 4 1/2 weeks after surgery and itching to get rid of this brace. Actually, I haven't been wearing it much around the house lately, but I do put it on when I go outside. I also don't wear it to sleep, which has caused me to wake up several times in jarring pain as the knee inadvertently gets bent while asleep.  Can this cause damage? I just can't fall asleep with this brace on. Along with being able to do the straight leg raises pretty much at will now, I have also developed some ROM, maybe about 45 degrees before feeling resistance.  I don't want to push too hard before the OS gives me the go ahead because I fear this thing popping again.  How likely is that?  Just the thought gives me chills!


So, can I be a quad-ripper?  I know this is a ski forum but I haven't found anything anywhere close to the wealth of information here.  Thanks for reading, hope it wasn't too long.

post #2361 of 10808


It could be a UK thing in my case. With it being state run health care they tend to do only the bare minimum. The only way I'd be able to see my OS, other than every 7 weeks would be by direct referral from my GP, which in non emergency situations could take just as long.  Also they maybe unlikely to hand out equipment ( expensive braces) if they are not deemed a necessity at that time. However both the PT that treated me and a friend who is also a PT with 30 years experience between them have only treated 3 QTR cases between them. I'm not doubting their competence in anyway it just shows it's an unusual injury to treat. Having said all that I'm quite happy with slow and steady at the moment. Will also let my PT know that I'm prepared to pay for any brace that will aide recovery.



post #2362 of 10808


From before surgery (I had to postpone if for a week) until about seven weeks after, they had me in a Berg, T-Scope brace: http://www.breg.com/knee-bracing/post-op/t-scope.html.

The brace was no fun, but it worked well. The strap below the knee is actually the only one that keeps it from slipping off your leg. The other thing you learn over time is that besides the swelling, your leg constantly changes size as you walk, sit, sleep, etc.  You have to stay on top of adjusting the straps and wear pants that allow access to the straps. Towards the end, no matter what I did, the brace was falling off. I saw the OS at 8 weeks out, he said I could start discontinue using it, but to be extra careful outside (it is winter after all). The brace has been off since that day. 


NYC Guy,

Wear the brace while you sleep – for at least 6 weeks. I know it sucks, you can read my previous posts where I say “It’s like sleeping on a bicycle”. But it can be done – and you need to be really careful when you get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom.


And yes, you too are welcome here. I was brought into the fold and I’m the same size, shape as you. And I haven’t skied since I was 14, someone plowed into me and I broke my leg!

post #2363 of 10808

Hello NYC guy: OK, you can be one of us, LOL. Sorry it happened to you but your right this is a great forum. By the way, I'm not a skier either but it seems like those guys have cornered the market on this injury (almost). Anyway, just wanted to say "Hi". Mel

post #2364 of 10808



Also did mine playing football. It just popped as moving from a sprint to a dead stop. There would have been a fair bit of pressure involved but there was no challenge involved. 7 weeks post op and only started sleeping without the brace last week and still slip it back on for the nightly bathroom visits ( can now get the the thing on in under 15 secs when needed). Took painkilling meds for the 1st 2 weeks as well in the same quantities you were. As I said earlier the injury appears rare, no surprise it wasn't immediately spotted. A shame the OS didn't listen to the "patient" a little more but it sounds like you got there in the end:-).  



It's been said by a few, You know your body better than anyone else, I personally wouldn't want to risk full load bearing without the brace till you get a medical all clear but I'd imagine that gentle, steady non load bearing exercise can only help if you feel comfortable.  The key would appear to be stop if you feel any kneecap pain, don't do anything that would cause such pain and ice regularly as I was instructed by my physio.  Should add I only started pt 4 days ago and did little before that other than the occasional straight leg raise.





post #2365 of 10808

I discovered this site shortly after my QTR and it has really sustained me during my still early rehab. I was disheartened to see that IdahoGuy-who started this whole thread-was back for a second go at this debilitating injury. I don't really have anything to offer the group other than the fact I may be one of the oldest and therefore there is hope for everyone. Also, I am no longer a skier but rather look forward to the spring, summer and fall boating season.


In a nutshell this is my experience:

-I am a very active male, age 71, advised to stop running 2 yrs ago after meniscectomy on left knee.

-10/26/10 suffered a complete QTR of right leg after poorly made granite garden steps collapsed under me. Heard the pop, almost passed out with pain, then no pain at all

-10/27/10 had surgical repair-tendon reattached using 3 holes drilled into the patella

-Full leg brace for 6 weeks to be worn 24/7

-Staples removed at 2 weeks

-Crutches used for 2 weeks, then weight bearing allowed

-PT started at 5 weeks with gentle ROM exercises at first. Excruciating to get 45 degrees. Within 2 weeks up to 90 degrees where it seemed I would remain forever. However with much pain and very hard work got up to 120 degrees and finally given OS permission to drive!!! I am currently at 135 degrees or better.

-I have been walking up stairs for about 3 weeks and am just able to walk down stairs but that doesn't seem terribly stable yet. Doing minisquats is helping this.

-I go to the gym and in addition to upper body stuff I do 15 min on the recumbent bike with some resistance and do 15 min walking on the treadmill at 6-7 degrees and 3 mph. The following day my leg is pretty weak. I can't believe my lack of stamina but I am hoping as we work on eccentric motions in PT that this will improve. I see the OS at the end of February. He has already told me that my leg will not feel "normal" for about a year.

post #2366 of 10808

Welcome, Andy44, NYC guy and Ct guy sorry you've had the misfortune to join our ranks!


Andy44 the 1st 2weeks were the worst for me. I'm 4 weeks post-op this Tuesday and I feel so much better mentally and physically now, hang in there.


NYC Guy, wear the brace. I would hate to hear you reinjured your knee.


CTGuy, your about 11 weeks? Sounds like your well on your way, keep us informed.


Take care, Glenn

post #2367 of 10808



NYC Guy - Tempting as it was, I would have been scared to death to take the braces off when I was sleeping. My OS said I had to leave them on for 6 weeks - completely weight bearing so I could walk around (once I was able to get myself up from the bed).  Not even allowed to shower (although carefully cheated on this a bit after 4 weeks or so) I used to "open" them up at times when I was lying in bed to just let them breath but, after 15 minutes or so would strap them back on. Sleeping sucked - would wake up at 3 in the morning routinely. Watched lots of late night TV - lots of wierd programs on at that time.


CT Guy - experience similar, similar age. About a month ahead of you. Same repair (except for both legs in my case). No crutches needed, except for balance initially. They won't let me run on the treadmill yet ( I could probably walk on it) but I do the elipital and bike with no problem knee wise. On the recumbant bike I can't get the seat back far enough to prevent my leg bending too much. The regular exercise bike I can put the seat up high enough to keep my legs bent at probably no more than 90 degrees. I'm probably being a little too conservative but, being retired, I have lots of time. Golf is my main game these days so I have till at least April to get there. Going up and down stairs is quite doable but, seeing as my injury occurred coming down stairs I'm pretty careful on the way down. Knees still feel "funny" but no pain and I am still unstable on unlevel ground - hopefully by April I'll be able to walk up and down those hills at the golf course. Maybe it will force me to keep more balls down those level fairways. - like I have control of that. I see my OS this week - I'll be asking him now long to feel completely "normal". A year doesn't sound unreasonable to me these days.


Good luck guys.



post #2368 of 10808

Injury on Nov. 21

Surgery on Dec. 2nd

Staples removed and casted on Dec. 10th

Cast removal today

First PT scheduled for Weds. 1/12


I attempted a post with a couple of questions but it seems to have gone into the ether. 


My OS assigned me a BioMet brace for me. I know folks have used the Don Joy but does anyone have experience with the BioMet. I ask because the cost has been $767 - 333 from Blue Cross and I have seen a number of folks quoting $580 about - 330 or so from insurers.  It would be nice to keep the extra $200 in my pocket. Thoughts?


We will see this afternoon where the OS has started me in the ROM for the brace and how we begin. 


Blessings to all and thanks for everyone's dedication and information sharing.

post #2369 of 10808

17 weeks since tear

16.5 weeks since repair

Hello to all and good to see the founder back and doing well.


Light is definitely at the end of the tunnel for all, and I promise it's not the train.  I wasn't a runner before all of this and was more of a weightlifter.  I've tried to jog a bit and it's still an "old man's jog" for lack of a better way to describe it.  It doesn't hurt but is still rather jarring on the repaired leg.  OS said no sprinting until repair is fully healed at the 6 month mark (mid-March).


I do two leg workouts per week with one focusing solely on the repaired leg and the other working both the good and the bad leg.  I've been really careful with the weights to the point that I had yet for my legs to get sore like my other body parts do the day after lifting.  Well, that was until today!  I worked my legs yesterday and was able to get up to squatting 205 on a Smith Rack for 4 sets of 12 reps.  I really try to focus on the eccentric phase.  I was able to do the leg press (sled) with three 45's on each side and able to go fully down so that my knees go past my chest into my arm pits.  I then worked on hack squats with 35 pounds on each side, and then went to hamstrings and calves.


The leg is definitely getting stronger but still feels far from being "normal" unless I'm just walking.  I'm fine going up and down stairs with just my bodyweight (225) but have to be really careful going down if I'm carying more than 20 pounds and will lead with the repaired leg.  Walking feels extremely normal and I sometimes forget I have a weakened repaired leg until something reminds me.  The wife and I were going to the gym yesterday and it started pouring rain as soon as we left the car.  She jogged in to keep from getting as wet and when I tried to give a quick burst, it's just not there so I fast walked in and was a little more wet.  I haven't checked range of motion but I would say it's close to 100% because I feel very little tightness above the knee like I did even a few short weeks ago.


I hope all are doing well and progressing nicely.  Keep up the hard work!



Edited by TexasDiesel - 1/10/11 at 8:33am
post #2370 of 10808

12.5 Post injury

10.5 Post surgery


Hi All,

I’m starting to go down stairs quazi normally, at least it’s not just lead with the bad leg follow up with the good.


Texas Diesel

I vaguely remember something from physics class that says you get just as wet whether you walk or run in the rain.


Padre Bear,

My T-Scope brace (see my last post) was $571. Blue Cross paid all but $51.


Biladeral Dave,

By feeling “funny” do you mean a tightness in your knee when you walk. That’s how I describe it. It’s not painful, but I'm aware of every step.

And when you couldn't sleep, I could only wonder what you bought watching all those late night infomercials!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Fitness, Health, Nutrition, Injury, and Recovery › Quadriceps Tendon Rupture, Repair and Rehab