Welcome to our little club that no one wants to join. Buddy that's a hard question to answer and one you will ultimately have to make and then be comfortable with.
I'm not a skier so the need to keep doing that for the rest of the season wouldn't sway me. I'm more of a Spring and Summer guy so just the thought of being able to get closer to 100% by the time Summer hit, would push me to do it now if the doctor suggested surgery as the fix.
What % is torn? That would be a key indicator to me. If it's less than 70% intact, I wouldn't risk it but I'm a fairly cautious dude. Some have indicated their doctors or though experience that the longer you wait, the more difficult and lengthy the recovery because the muscles won't acively seek to grow back to do the compensating and getting used to being apart. I don't know how valid any of those concerns are.
I'm of the ilk to where the quicker I get it done, the quicker I get back to 100%. I didn't really have a decision to make because mine was a full rupture but I would think had I a % that had a doctor suggesting surgery, I'd want to get it done.
Interesting delimma and I'll be interested to hear your thought process and what you choose. I'm glad you were able to get the MRI and speak with your doctor so you can now make the most informed decision based on your actual situation.