EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › Something a little bit different - biggest flaw in your tuning setup?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Something a little bit different - biggest flaw in your tuning setup?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I'll start:

1) Not enough of the right kind of light. Oh, I can see very well for anything on the surface. Yet, for example, if I wish to see the bottom of a hole, through a jig or a binding say, everything is in shadow. If I use a forehead light it washes out perspective and, quite often, color so that even a blue Sharpie mark is invisible on a light gray ski. (To pick a recent example).

2) The boot dummy vise doesn't have enough vertical clearance from the side towers for a Look PX-type binding to clear the table, even worse with any lifters on the ski. Cutting a notch out of the table surface is a temporary fix, that doesn't allow for shifting of the ski, and there might be a different cutout needed for Dukes/Jesters (don't know yet). I could and do use other vises, but it's annoying to be obliged to.
post #2 of 15
The technician -- he drinks too much, makes too many mistakes and works too slowly.
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post
I'll start:



2) The boot dummy vise doesn't have enough vertical clearance from the side towers for a Look PX-type binding to clear the table, even worse with any lifters on the ski. Cutting a notch out of the table surface is a temporary fix, that doesn't allow for shifting of the ski, and there might be a different cutout needed for Dukes/Jesters (don't know yet). I could and do use other vises, but it's annoying to be obliged to.

The fix is to put 3/4 wood spacers under the uprights to raise them up, duh. I learned that lesson years ago.

My current short fall are the less then 6ft high heat ducts running thru the basement of the house were renting in VT.
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
The technician -- he drinks too much, makes too many mistakes and works too slowly.

I vote this for the best answer award.
post #5 of 15
The biggest flaw in my setup is that my fridge containing the beer is upstairs and the shop is in the basement.
post #6 of 15
No vise on my work bench. Now workbench either it's just a workmate.
post #7 of 15
I kept getting wax shavings on my scrapers, brushes, corks, roto-brush, and fiberlene buffing cloths....
....so I just stopped scraping after hotwaxing. Now, I just "ski it off." I get smoked by gapers on cheap rentals for a few runs, buts it sure beats taking two minutes to scrape it!


Do you sense my sarcasm? (wink, wink)
post #8 of 15
  1. Lack of vice. I use a dummy boot that I made up, but this limits me to only working with the bases positioned up. Also, not enough clamping for soft skis/salomon bindings.
  2. lack of dedicated space. It's a pain to drag all the stuff from the closet and set up a drop cloth just to tune mys skis, so sometimes I don't.
post #9 of 15
Longer workbench - can't get enough support under the tips and tails when scraping really hard wax.

More light - need another light in front of work area.
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeluvaSkier View Post
The biggest flaw in my setup is that my fridge containing the beer is upstairs and the shop is in the basement.

Same house plan as mine........Side benefit, cross training from all the trips
post #11 of 15
...my tuning bench is my dining room table

I just can't swing the $150 for a nice tuning table nor do I have room in this 1000 sq ft condo to set up something permanent. At lest the lady understands, as long as I keep the wax out of the food
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeluvaSkier View Post
The biggest flaw in my setup is that my fridge containing the beer is upstairs and the shop is in the basement.
All you need is a dog that can deliver the beer to you from the fridge (like that commercial some time back). (Or maybe HeluvaGirl if you are tuning her skis could nicely bring you one...)
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiRacrNut View Post
...my tuning bench is my dining room table

I just can't swing the $150 for a nice tuning table nor do I have room in this 1000 sq ft condo to set up something permanent. At lest the lady understands, as long as I keep the wax out of the food
Mine too. But if the wife needs the table, my tuning bench is a wheelbarrow in the garage.:
post #14 of 15
Not enough naked babe posters on the wall, YET!
post #15 of 15
Lack of a roto brush.

Lack of a full set of NON DIAMOND stones.

I have too many skis to do each week to hand brush. I want a rotobrush.

Diamonds wear too quickly for my taste. I really like the way real stones perform.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › Something a little bit different - biggest flaw in your tuning setup?