Originally Posted by NYSkier55
Toadman: What did your research show as far as the better skiing Chile or Argentina.
I looked at Las Lenas, Bariloche (Cerro Catedral Alta Patagonia), and to a lesser extent Chapelco in Argentina.
LL has the more extreme terrain but what I've read in personal reviews is that it is a frustrating palce to ski with the Marte chair not operating very often. Seems like a vibrant night life. Great terrain accessed by the marte if it isn't snowing heavily and the marte is running. I didn't want to risk a week in LL and not have the marte chair running. Lots of positives in regards to Mendoza and relatively easy access from either Santiago or Beunos Aires, although it basically takes a day to get to LL.
Bariloche (Cerro Catedral Alta Patagonia) seemed like a good compromise. Good lift system that was recently updated and looks like with just short hikes and traverses you will have easy access to expert terrain. That plus the nice town of Bariloche and the beautiful lakes region, sounded like a good option.
In Chile I looked at Portillo, Valle Nevado and Termas de Chillan. Portillo just seemed too laid back with fewer options. Would need to do more hiking to get to the goods but fewer crowds on mtn. I wouldn't want to spend a whole week there though. Very easy all inclusive no brainer trip though.
I've seen some trip reports and video of Valle Nevado/La Parva, and that looks like there are some decent options and skiing there. More lodging options than Portillo, and the heli ski option has me very intrigued.
Termas de Chillan is a bit harder to get to but the terrain looks appealing. Has the added benefit of tree skiing but lower elevation might mean less snow. Lots of other winter activities available too. Pricing was similar for all 3 resorts in Chile.
Looks like Argentina would be less expensive, and the risk reward factor for LL is something that you have to personally weigh in your decision.
If I could fly into SCL and then make a game time decision on which resort had the better snow, I might go that route. Just trying to figure out what the costs would be.