Hi...Long time, Listener; First Time Caller. Thanks for all the great tips. Typically I don't use a file to sharpen my edges. I try to use my diamond stones in progression because they're easier to use and I feel they don't take off as much metal as a typical file does. Inevitably, a few times a season I'll need to take out the file to put a "better" edge on my skis. Here's my problem (Only occurs while sharpening the side edge):
- Ski in Vice on it's side. Base facing away from me. I try to work tip to tail.
- Both my files are the type with diagonal teeth (Swix) with a "tail"
- When tip is on my RIGHT (Working tip to tail) side I have no problem. The file moves smooth and takes a healthy and even amount off.
- When tip is on my LEFT (Working tip to tail) the file doesn't work as well. But if I work tail to tip, it works fine
- What am I doing wrong?
- Is it horrible to work tail to tip in this case?