EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › How to breath in deep powder?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to breath in deep powder?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I know, I've tried to make a mockery of Powder Skiing. But no kidding, how do you breathe and see when it looks like a Snow Globe in front of you. I tried covering my mouth but this dry snow gets into everything. Waist deep snow at 13 degrees with an Ice base is not what PNW skiers are use to. Ski with a buddy.
post #2 of 17
Aw shaddup and close yer mouf.

(Can you tell? No powder in my neighborhood.)
post #3 of 17
Snorkel, and/or what Nolo said.
post #4 of 17
Get up a little later in the morning or move East.
post #5 of 17
Strain it through your beard, touch your tongue to the roof of your mouth let the air swirl around in your mouth so the snow gets separated by the centrifuge effect.
post #6 of 17
Try exhaling on every turn when the powder swirls up
post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by redkal View Post
Try exhaling on every turn when the powder swirls up
I was getting the hang of that but I'd lose my timing and suck snow. Nolo at least I didn't take any pictures. I believe the "up" move is in order.:
Your not far off Ghosty,I had 6 inch icicles hanging off my mustache. You guys are ganging up on me. I guess I deserve it.
post #8 of 17
Go to the Collins lift line at 8:45 on a powder day and you'll see many guys with snorkles dangling from thier goggle straps. They're not doing it to be funny. Personally, I prefer an Avalung. It's more high-tech.
post #9 of 17
I was gonna say avalung. BUt I bet it's more expensive
post #10 of 17
I wish I could help you with this. It's a problem I'd like to have.
post #11 of 17
Don't...

breath [sic] it in.
(the snow, that is)
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
Go to the Collins lift line at 8:45 on a powder day and you'll see many guys with snorkles dangling from thier goggle straps. They're not doing it to be funny. Personally, I prefer an Avalung. It's more high-tech.
I had to use an avalung this day:
post #13 of 17
Don't breathe. powder like that is worth suffocating for.
post #14 of 17
1 - Time your inhale to happen as your skis have floated to the top for the next turn.

2 - Snorkel (really!). I'd heard of it, but it was on day four of an Alta trip.... We'd already had 66" in those four days.... We were at the top of the High Traverse and we saw about five skiers blasting in and out of their turns and all of them were using snorkels.

My timing was always pretty good, so I didn't do it, but one of our group did ... and loved it.

- KK
post #15 of 17
ahh did naht inHALE (the pow
post #16 of 17
Mostly it's about timing your breaths to the highest point in the turn. Snorkels and Avalungs work too. Another trick I saw at Alta years ago were some guys that had cut out a disc from cardboard, wrapped them in aluminum foil to keep them from getting waterlogged, and placed around their necks to block the snow from going into their faces. Looked funny as hell but it worked.
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
Another trick I saw at Alta years ago were some guys that had cut out a disc from cardboard, wrapped them in aluminum foil to keep them from getting waterlogged, and placed around their necks to block the snow from going into their faces. Looked funny as hell but it worked.
Wow, now that's a powder hound. (looks ridiculous too)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › How to breath in deep powder?