New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

So I want to build a hotbox...

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Is there any reason I shouldn't build one? I ski man made snow pretty much exclusively and it can be pretty hard on the wax. I also wax for a couple of my friends. I have most of the material that I need on hand and it shouldn't take me long to build one, any reasons I shouldn't do it?
post #2 of 14
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the links, I did find them here before when I did a search, but I reread them last night anyways. What are the approximate dimensions of your box? I don't remember seeing them. Also, a technique question, if I am going to put down a hydrocarbon base and then a top coat of flouro, should I HB both, just the hydro or what?
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Also, do you happen to have any more specific links from Toko and Tognar about using the hotbox? I found the section on the tognar page where it talks about building one, but thats about it
post #5 of 14

Um...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb12string View Post
Thanks for the links, I did find them here before when I did a search, but I reread them last night anyways. What are the approximate dimensions of your box? I don't remember seeing them. Also, a technique question, if I am going to put down a hydrocarbon base and then a top coat of flouro, should I HB both, just the hydro or what?
To build the box, I took 2 4 x 8 composite board panels and ripped them down the middle. Now I have 4 2 x 8 boards, and all I need are 2 2 x 2 boards and a bunch of 1 x 2 studs, and I can build the box. Because it's 8 feet wide, now I can fit anything inside, as in a pair of 220s if necessary.

I would HB just the hydro, scrape, brush, then iron on just the minimum amount of fluoro to get the job done, scrape, brush, and you're done.
post #6 of 14

Try this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb12string View Post
Also, do you happen to have any more specific links from Toko and Tognar about using the hotbox? I found the section on the tognar page where it talks about building one, but thats about it


http://www.tokous.com/thermo_bag.htm
post #7 of 14
I built one, over built one that is.: In retrospect, I suggest you try to use the lightest panels that will not compromise the structural integrity of box once the skis are in there. Insulation is much more important than mass (most of the commercial units are just bags with aluminum frames.) Just insulate it well and you'll be good. My box came out so massive that its hardly movable. I used 3/4" particle board/ floor underlayment. The box weighs at least 500lbs and cost me about $350 to make.

Here is mine: http://forums.epicski.com/showthread...ghlight=hotbox
post #8 of 14

Yep, good advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-Rich View Post
I built one, over built one that is.: In retrospect, I suggest you try to use the lightest panels that will not compromise the structural integrity of box once the skis are in there. Insulation is much more important than mass (most of the commercial units are just bags with aluminum frames.) Just insulate it well and you'll be good. My box came out so massive that its hardly movable. I used 3/4" particle board/ floor underlayment. The box weighs at least 500lbs and cost me about $350 to make.

Here is mine: http://forums.epicski.com/showthread...ghlight=hotbox
...I think I used 1/2 inch particle board, and mine probably weighs half that, and cost about half as much...but it definitely ain't movable...I have it lag bolted to some studs in the basement, which is its final resting place, I promise...
post #9 of 14
Here is the shop model me and a partner are building. This is the second prototype. It is too expensive for general use, as it was designed for back shop and team use. We are designing a smaller control module with everything plus some basic plans to build you own box for consumer use.
This one is in my garage.

post #10 of 14
I built one, admittedly quite ghetto, but it did the trick. I simply got some 1-1/2" rigid insulation from Home Depot and used construction adhesive to make a 2x2x6 box. I wired up three light sockets and used 2x100W and 1x150W. Added a small fan from Radio Shack to circulate the air. It was open from the top and I used leftover pieces of insulation as a cover. Using a digital thermometer to monitor the temperature, adjusting the gaps in the cover until the temperature was correct. Once the temperature stabilized, it kept a steady 55C ( +-1C).
post #11 of 14

Great thread.. tanks!

What a great thread. After reading this, I converted an old aquarium in my basement into a hot box.

Naturally, I have some fine tuning.. but it definately works.

No... I am not watching the wax melt...
well.. maybe every once and a while
post #12 of 14

An aquarium...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noderoc View Post
What a great thread. After reading this, I converted an old aquarium in my basement into a hot box.

Naturally, I have some fine tuning.. but it definately works.

No... I am not watching the wax melt...
well.. maybe every once and a while
...that's pretty cool. You definitely have to get a bunch of tropical fish decals to paste on the outside...
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY GS View Post

I guess if you stand on it you won't slip...polished plate like that is sort of pricey if you don't need it though. Very nice looking.
post #14 of 14
The diamond plate was totally unnecessary, but looks cool. The newer version only has diamond plate accents and a recycled plastic material or butcher block style bench surface.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs