EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Integrated Binding Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Integrated Binding Questions

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
I am looking into purchasing the Salomon Scream 8 pilot with integrated bindings. Does integrated mean these skis come with the bindings or do I have to by them seperately? Here is a link: http://www.summitonline.com/29471.html
post #2 of 24
Integrated would mean that they come with a binding that goes with the system on the ski. Usually easy to adjust.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 24
Integrated or system bindings are also known as "hostage plates." They hold you hostage to one binding model. They also tend to be heavier, sloppier, and impossible to fully dial-in the correct boot position. Some actually are performance boosters, but most are just produced to sell more bindings and make producing retail/rental skis cheaper, since they are now essentially the same.
Remember, with integrated bindings... If you blow your edge and wreck your ski, you blew the binding too!
post #4 of 24
Integrated/system bindings are also responsible for drowning puppies and kittens.

Seriously, don't let DCNB scare you -- there is nothing wrong with a system binding. One of the things I like about the RailFlex bindings on several of my skis is that they accomodate an extended range of boot size/position with simple adjustments. In fact, I like it so much I mounted RF bindings on some other skis I own that came flat.

If you did happen to break a ski, just transfer the binding over to the replacement ski, like any other binding (done that once myself with a warranty replacement).

About the only time I don't like a system binding is on my wider powder / free-ride skis, where I feel a flat mount is preferable, for a lower stack height.
post #5 of 24
Integrated Bindings: Are they the "rear-entry boot" of the new millennium?
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
Integrated Bindings: Are they the "rear-entry boot" of the new millennium?
I think they are more the "cap ski" of the new milennium.
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
I think they are more the "cap ski" of the new milennium.
Yeah, you're probably right!
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
Integrated Bindings: Are they the "rear-entry boot" of the new millennium?
Please help, I am lost here, what is a cap system? I have seen rear entry boots, but have never tried one. Seemed kinda silly to me. I understand where you are comming from with the hostage plate binding theroy. I am just wonering for us beginner to intermiedate level ski guys if that is such a big deal?
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by spud6414 View Post
Please help, I am lost here, what is a cap system? I have seen rear entry boots, but have never tried one. Seemed kinda silly to me. I understand where you are comming from with the hostage plate binding theroy. I am just wonering for us beginner to intermiedate level ski guys if that is such a big deal?
Don't let our strong opinions on gear spook you. You need to get miles on your skis before worrying about finite details in performance! Go ahead, wear rear-entry boots, gat a cap ski with a system binding, and go ski a bunch!
After you get better, then start dorking-out on the gear! :
I learned on non-cambered (dead) skis, that were dull, had no wax, were full of core shots, and were way too small! You'll be fine!
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
Don't let our strong opinions on gear spook you. You need to get miles on your skis before worrying about finite details in performance! Go ahead, wear rear-entry boots, gat a cap ski with a system binding, and go ski a bunch!
After you get better, then start dorking-out on the gear! :
I learned on non-cambered (dead) skis, that were dull, had no wax, were full of core shots, and were way too small! You'll be fine!
I wasnt being spooked by you, just wondering what it was.
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by spud6414 View Post
Please help, I am lost here, what is a cap system? I have seen rear entry boots, but have never tried one. Seemed kinda silly to me. I understand where you are comming from with the hostage plate binding theroy. I am just wonering for us beginner to intermiedate level ski guys if that is such a big deal?
A "cap" ski is a ski with no "sidewalls. It allowed production costs to lower, pretty much the same as an integrated biding allowing profits to be higher . Right DCNB?
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
A "cap" ski is a ski with no "sidewalls. It allowed production costs to lower, pretty much the same as an integrated biding allowing profits to be higher . Right DCNB?
Thanks, I got it.
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by spud6414 View Post
Thanks, I got it.
You know how I feel about rear-entry boots, cap construction, and system bindings......:!
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
You know how I feel about rear-entry boots, cap construction, and system bindings......:!
No, do tell.

Also...Composite poles, $100K Wintersteiger or Montana tuners, Breathable fabrics like softshells and eVent, thermoflex/intuition liners and fat skis.
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
You know how I feel about rear-entry boots, cap construction, and system bindings......:!
Too bad I live so far away, I would let you build me a set up.
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by spud6414 View Post
Too bad I live so far away, I would let you build me a set up.
Salomon Force 9/SX92/SX93 Boot

with any of the following ski (with appropriate) binding setups...

Nordica Hotrod Hellcats
Elan Magfire 14/Magma
Atomic Crimson
Volkl AC4
Dynastar Contact 11
Blizzard Argos

All great "system" skis and a great RE boot.
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
Salomon Force 9/SX92/SX93 Boot

with any of the following ski (with appropriate) binding setups...

Nordica Hotrod Hellcats
Elan Magfire 14/Magma
Atomic Crimson
Volkl AC4
Dynastar Contact 11
Blizzard Argos

All great "system" skis and a great RE boot.
Hey thanks.
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
Salomon Force 9/SX92/SX93 Boot

with any of the following ski (with appropriate) binding setups...

Nordica Hotrod Hellcats
Elan Magfire 14/Magma
Atomic Crimson
Volkl AC4
Dynastar Contact 11
Blizzard Argos

All great "system" skis and a great RE boot.
Someone has to defend the crappy products being pushed on us by the ski industry!
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
Salomon Force 9/SX92/SX93 Boot

with any of the following ski (with appropriate) binding setups...

Nordica Hotrod Hellcats
Elan Magfire 14/Magma
Atomic Crimson
Volkl AC4
Dynastar Contact 11
Blizzard Argos

All great "system" skis and a great RE boot.
Should be AC3/AC4. heh.
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
Someone has to defend the crappy products being pushed on us by the ski industry!
We were so much better off strapping barrel staves to cowboy boots with leather straps. The 'Ski Industry' sure has F'd things up. Base layers that wick moisture, insulating layers that breathe, skis that are easy to use, boots that are reasonably comfortable and perform. Snow making that can make soft snow when mother nature takes a break, lifts that don't break down...

Perhaps you should put down the hooka, leave a couple turns unstoned and look around. Skiing is pretty cool. You don't need to be inebriated to enjoy it.
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
We were so much better off strapping barrel staves to cowboy boots with leather straps. The 'Ski Industry' sure has F'd things up. Base layers that wick moisture, insulating layers that breathe, skis that are easy to use, boots that are reasonably comfortable and perform. Snow making that can make soft snow when mother nature takes a break, lifts that don't break down...

Perhaps you should put down the hooka, leave a couple turns unstoned and look around. Skiing is pretty cool. You don't need to be inebriated to enjoy it.
Are you saying that EVERY new ski related technology that comes out is valid? Yeah, no kidding gore-tex beats nylon, and base layers are better now- duh!!! But do you remember NAVA or Spademan bindings? Rear-entry boots? Allsop shock absorber poles? Can you defend that old crap too?!
I'm not a stoned old-schooler either. I have all the latest gear every season. Some stuff out there is just silly.... if you aren't totally a product of successful marketing! :
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
Someone has to defend the crappy products being pushed on us by the ski industry!
1234567

Skiing gets easier and easier every year, I'm not sure that I like that.

I'd prefer to have powder runs to myself, I'd rather drop into the woods and find private stashes of powder days after a storm. Unfortunately, the ski industry keeps making BETTER equipment that let's less skilled skiers compete with me for good snow. Crappy products aren't doing that, ski schools teaching methods haven't improved radically (how many terminal intermediates take lessons?), it's the gear. It's pretty good.
post #23 of 24
Have there been some products that were designed for convenience, then later marketed to 'expert' skiers, ala rear-Entry boots? Sure.

Were there some products that were designed to solve a problem that might not really exist, ala Shock absorbing poles? Sure.

Did they do what they were supposed to do? YES.

Was it an improvement for real experts? NO.

Is that WRONG??? I, for one, do not think so.

If you are gullible and easily influenced it might be a 'problem', but for the most part these 'gimmicks' solved some people's problems, didn't do anything (good or bad) for some people and really didn't hurt anything.

Step back and look at every other industry that produces goods for consumer use, they all 'improve' what they sell all the time. The ski industry is no different and no worse.
post #24 of 24
Hey someone tell me about Dynastar Contact AIS? I found a brand new pair at 165 for a hundred bucks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Integrated Binding Questions