New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Downhill Ice Skating

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
A year ago, the hills had marginal snow conditions at best! In fact once I tried to ski with my nephew during his Christmas Break and we left the hill because there was more dirt than snow.

This year has been an amazing snow year. We've had decent snow and good temps to hold the snow, until Friday when my nephew came home from college.
He and his friend skied at Caberfae where it was spitting a bit off and on. Not a problem. The boys had fun. Not a complaint to be heard!!!

Saturday windy, rainy, yuck.
Sunday (morning)windy, rainy, with almost no one on the hill. Then it turned cold, almost immediately. Like someone hit a switch from 38* to 15* in an instant. The wind continued, near white out conditions, and the most beautiful fluffy powder I've ever laid my eyes on, was falling, and whirling around

Problem?
Under that beautiful snow(about 6 inches in the short time we were skiing) was the most beautifully sheet of ice.:
I swear, it was like a zamboni had groomed the hills.

My nephew, enlightened me at one point.
Aunt Tricia, its not dirt, like last year!

Now THAT is appreciation for Downhill Ice Skating!
post #2 of 14
You will be able to ski any condition if you continue to "pay your dues" skiing crappy icy conditions. Most of the best skiers that I ski with here in Telluride all came from some icy home mountain... not in the rockies.

Keep it up!!! Be core!!!
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
A year ago, the hills had marginal snow conditions at best! In fact once I tried to ski with my nephew during his Christmas Break and we left the hill because there was more dirt than snow.

This year has been an amazing snow year. We've had decent snow and good temps to hold the snow, until Friday when my nephew came home from college.
He and his friend skied at Caberfae where it was spitting a bit off and on. Not a problem. The boys had fun. Not a complaint to be heard!!!

Saturday windy, rainy, yuck.
Sunday (morning)windy, rainy, with almost no one on the hill. Then it turned cold, almost immediately. Like someone hit a switch from 38* to 15* in an instant. The wind continued, near white out conditions, and the most beautiful fluffy powder I've ever laid my eyes on, was falling, and whirling around

Problem?
Under that beautiful snow(about 6 inches in the short time we were skiing) was the most beautifully sheet of ice.:
I swear, it was like a zamboni had groomed the hills.

My nephew, enlightened me at one point.
Aunt Tricia, its not dirt, like last year!

Now THAT is appreciation for Downhill Ice Skating!
Rain can provide a silver lining; early season rain over a deep base will provide a solid "primer" over the grass & gravel. You should have a long and rock free season. Hopefully the resort will add some man-made snow and machine groom the surface back to health.

Michael
post #4 of 14
All in all, I will take this season over previous ones.
post #5 of 14
Sounds like a perfect excuse to expand the quiver to a nice pair of race skis.
post #6 of 14
Fast base w/ some fresh topping,giddy-up.
post #7 of 14
dust on crust ---not my favorite.

Actually, we could use a little rain up high. One nice inch to soak through the 150" we've gotten this month would consolidate it nicely, and set us up for the next cycle.

And despite our late start compared to last season, it's shaping up nicely out here as well - with a forecast for another 60" before the new year.
post #8 of 14
Worst snow I have ever seen was in the spring years ago at Telluride. Ash from forest fires in Utah had seeded the clouds, and what came out was gritty , brown, and destroyed skis.
post #9 of 14
TrekChick, how is it today?

(what you have today is what we'll have tomorrow. Hoping to go skiing...)
post #10 of 14
Northern MI had spitting, misting fog interspersed with moist snow today, gray skies otherwise. Not much accumulation. Grooming should make yesterday's crispies more paletable for Christmas day.
post #11 of 14
I skied Boyne today, after the groomers chopprd up the ice last night and we got a dusting of snow it was smooth and fast, fast, fast. You did have to be aware of your edges, but it was nice. Definatly better than last years rain and mud.
post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
All in all, I will take this season over previous ones.
Absotively! Hence the comment........Its not dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInstructor View Post
Sounds like a perfect excuse to expand the quiver to a nice pair of race skis.
funny you should say that. I actually used my Blizzard Mag SL's. They made nice little ice skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by realydum View Post
I skied Boyne today, after the groomers chopprd up the ice last night and we got a dusting of snow it was smooth and fast, fast, fast. You did have to be aware of your edges, but it was nice. Definatly better than last years rain and mud.
Amen! The skiing today was much better. I need to give kudos to the groomers who did some magic over night.
post #13 of 14
Your topic headline brought back a memory of the day in early November, (in the early 80s) in Ottawa, Ontario.
No winter weather had hit the city yet that year so the streets were as clean and sand/salt free as could be.
One evening, a freezing rain storm moved in and coated all of the streets in about a half inch of ice.
Before the salt trucks got out, my buddy and I put on our ice skates and went for it! Billings avenue is a hill with a moderate grade, and we were actually able to burn down it without hitting anything. Just pure ice on a hill!! It was truly like a skating rink on an incline.
I guess the closest we can get to that is the newly opened 2010 Olympic luge/bobsled track here in Whistler. Some of my co-workers got to try it out last week and hit over 50 mph.
post #14 of 14
Funny - my brother and I went out first thing Monday morning just so we could ski the polished, smooth ice. It really was like skiing on a 25 degree pitch ice skating rink. We had a lot of fun (very sharp edges and slalom skis).

It looks like we are getting some wet weather mixed with snow today, so this weekend should be nice and hard too. Saturday the snow was kind of wussy feeling (too warm out).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion