or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › I hate Powder
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I hate Powder

post #1 of 69
Thread Starter 
I hate Powder Snow and when I fall I can't get up. My stupid skis just sink in that deep snow and then you can't see them. In fact you can't see anything so I need new goggles too. P.S.-I suck @ Skiing.
post #2 of 69
yeah you go girl ... I mean ... you sound like a girl right now right?
post #3 of 69
I hate powder cuz when I have to pee in the woods my skis get all stuck with stuff all over them. It's very inconvenient. Plus my dumb baskets are worthless. I need the ones I used in grade school. Yeah ,we all had powder baskets then and life was good
post #4 of 69
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct55 View Post
yeah you go girl ... I mean ... you sound like a girl right now right?
Now that I've got my panties wet I'm taking my skis and going home.
post #5 of 69
Try laying your poles on the snow like a big X and pushing on the middle of the X.
post #6 of 69

Hate Powder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider View Post
Now that I've got my panties wet I'm taking my skis and going home.
Slider had 14 inches Wed at Silver, it was really ugly especially lon my new Gotamas, dam snow just wouldn't leave me alone, I tried to get away from it but those damn Gotamas just kept dragging me into that light fluffy crap even though I resisted with all my might. It got so bad I had to get out my crying towel but I had to wait till ab out 3 PM in the Bar to find the damn towel. So I surrounded myself with beer and just let loose and cried my eyes out. Whoa is me! You had the same experience I guess.

P.S. went up into shop today and saw Bob, sprained his knee said he'll be off the snow for a couple weeks. Oh well, really busy with Christmas and all the powder is really a bummer.
post #7 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post
Try laying your poles on the snow like a big X and pushing on the middle of the X.
Hey buddy I got my alphabet down . What's your point ?
post #8 of 69
Thats to bad thats all we get up hear is 3 to 6 ft of fresh light POWDER every day!!: It gets so deep some times and light you cant breath some guys were oxagen. im talken Powder King! That says it all. If you like heli skiing and want a ride up on the chair instead you must come check it out. know wear on earth does a hill get so much POWDER with a chair lift. Slider buy some B3,s or something and stop sinking better yet find a steeper run. Thats blastfalmy talking like that there is no better snow to ski!
post #9 of 69
Thread Starter 
I'll be @ Whistler March/April Whip. The last few days have been agony I tell you. Today I skied down a ridge with wind blown packed powder and drifts and the darn snow kept flying up in front of me turn after turn. When I get to Whistler I sure hope I don't have to ski deep powder everyday......but just in case, I'll bring my fatties. Steep,Deep & Cheap. Hoodoo baby.
post #10 of 69
I hate powder because those avy bombs wake me up early. Then I find we're plowed in so I have to fire up the snowblower. Then there is all this stuff all over the slopes and some has to go ski it out. Everytime I think I'm done they open something else. Then I have to groom up the XC trails, and just for good measure, ski them, By then it is almost dark and the dog is crazy because all his special marks on the snowbanks need touching up, so we have a long walk.

Then I have a few drinks, crash, and hope to wake to those avy bombs once more...
post #11 of 69
yeah - good thing there are always all those JONGs around to ski it out for me before I roll out onto the hill around noontime - that's another reason skiing back east is so much better
post #12 of 69
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct55 View Post
yeah - good thing there are always all those JONGs around to ski it out for me before I roll out onto the hill around noontime - that's another reason skiing back east is so much better
Crack of Nooners.: A 200 ft. Ice bump is soooooo better than Big Mt. Pow skiing. Where's my straight sticks.:
post #13 of 69
Hey Newfdog i bet ya like it on your days off though. Tomorrow im dropping my son Pierce off at the local hill he cant sleep when he knows he is going skiing. Yes skiing not boarding at 12!!: he shows the boarders in the park why he skis! Thats my boy!!
post #14 of 69

eastern weather has got me down

just bein silly again - I'm usually out there early to try and get some untracked snow.

We're in a rain pattern again so I'm kind of in a p-ed off mode
post #15 of 69
Thread Starter 

I hate Powder:TR

It Snowed all day long in great quantity. There was way to much Powder to see or ski. I should of just turned around and went home but nooooo someone else had different ideas.
Would you say NO to this man?

So after stopping @ the lodge to check my Hair,up the lifts we went.
Shane charging.

They had to drag me off the groomers......

Shane do'n that Snowboard thang.

Here I'm desperately trying to get back to a packed run, what tree?

Please make it stop snowing.

Ok so maybe Powder skiing isn't that bad......Good*day.
post #16 of 69
wow- that looks so cold and horrible! Better get to the lodge and have some famous turkey chile!
post #17 of 69
I hate powder, too. It slows me down a lot in the woods and there is no thrill avoiding the trees. Going to damn slow!! I hate powder!
post #18 of 69
yes I would love some of that hate right now
post #19 of 69

bunch of little girls

OMG you all sound like a bunch of little girls. Besides powder hindering your aim when have to take that urgent leak in back country, I can't ponder why you don’t love it. I live in Cincinnati where powder is a wet dream at best. Stop complaining and enjoy what you have before globe warming consumes us all.
post #20 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintnmac View Post
OMG you all sound like a bunch of little girls. Besides powder hindering your aim when have to take that urgent leak in back country, I can't ponder why you don’t love it. I live in Cincinnati where powder is a wet dream at best. Stop complaining and enjoy what you have before globe warming consumes us all.
saintnmac,

Welcome to EpicSki!





BTW, I think your meter may need an adjustment:

post #21 of 69
Thread Starter 
post #22 of 69
slider, nice!
post #23 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintnmac View Post
OMG you all sound like a bunch of little girls. Besides powder hindering your aim when have to take that urgent leak in back country, I can't ponder why you don’t love it. I live in Cincinnati where powder is a wet dream at best. Stop complaining and enjoy what you have before globe warming consumes us all.
Well, I hate powder because the widest ski I have has a 76mm waist. Everything else is below 66mm. All my skis do is search for something hard to grip on to, and they constantly sink. Nuff said.
post #24 of 69

The truth hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh View Post
saintnmac,

Welcome to EpicSki!





BTW, I think your meter may need an adjustment:

I wasn’t being sarcastic I was just stating the truth. Ignorance is pure bliss, so keep on smiling Shh. The fact is you don’t comprehend the experience of traversing the mountain in search of heavenly snow instead you prefer following the status quo of poseur down the mountain. You can keep your Galileo and your lift lines.
post #25 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintnmac View Post
I wasn’t being sarcastic I was just stating the truth. Ignorance is pure bliss, so keep on smiling Shh. The fact is you don’t comprehend the experience of traversing the mountain in search of heavenly snow instead you prefer following the status quo of poseur down the mountain. You can keep your Galileo and your lift lines.

Er, still not getting it.

You = not being sarcastic. True.

Rest of crew = being sarcastic. Enjoy the sarcastic humor.

Most people around here pray to the powder gods rather frequently, and enjoy a good snorkel session. At least I do.

Mmmmm. Tasty powder. Breakfast of champions. Need more powder.
post #26 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintnmac View Post
The fact is you don’t comprehend the experience of traversing the mountain in search of heavenly snow instead you prefer following the status quo...
Sorry pal, I do enough traversing in my daily grind. When I go skiing, I'm heading straight down the best prepared piste I can find. I've never had to make an X with my poles and push down on them. It's just a tip I read in a book. I hope I never have to do that. The status quo is lined up on the traverse hoping to get snow in their faces, tumble in it, get avalanched, etc. Lemmings looking for a cliff. Have fun but don't say I didn't warn you.
post #27 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise To The Top View Post
Well, I hate powder because the widest ski I have has a 76mm waist. Everything else is below 66mm. All my skis do is search for something hard to grip on to, and they constantly sink. Nuff said.
My skis are narrow too and I sink down.
post #28 of 69
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise To The Top View Post
Well, I hate powder because the widest ski I have has a 76mm waist. Everything else is below 66mm. All my skis do is search for something hard to grip on to, and they constantly sink. Nuff said.
Once the Pow gets some compaction from all the Snowboards and Fat skis,those skinny devils shin.:Just picked up a pair of Head 188cm WC GS race stocks. They look scary-fast. I might have over done this time.
post #29 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintnmac View Post
I wasn’t being sarcastic I was just stating the truth. Ignorance is pure bliss, so keep on smiling Shh. The fact is you don’t comprehend the experience of traversing the mountain in search of heavenly snow instead you prefer following the status quo of poseur down the mountain. You can keep your Galileo and your lift lines.
Like I said, welcome to EpicSki. Look around a bit. You may be surprised.



Perhaps this quote from the Powder chapter of my book will shed a little light:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh
The roads had been wet the night we drove up the canyon. Yesterday the snow had blown sideways as we toured the peaks and cirques of Snowbird, Utah. This morning, we woke to the sound of the howitzers blasting the canyon walls—boom!—and then the rumble of snow sliding.

I snuck a peek out the windows at the dark before dawn, the snow falling thickly in the lights of the Cliff Lodge. We pulled on our ski gear and headed for breakfast in the tram center, and caught an early chair with some tree skiing in the Utah powder. After time spent on the lower mountain helping to videotape students, Phil Rostad and I headed up the Tram and for the Cirque.

Although it was still snowing, visibility had improved over the first day, so I could see where we were going. We found a run off the Cirque and dropped in. As I landed, I sank into bottomless powder. I floated in a three-dimensional world. In turn after turn down the steep slope blanketed in the snowfall of multiple days, I giggled and yelped as the snow billowed around my waist and at times over my head, giving me face shots—one of the ultimate skiing experiences.

We found other hidden—and not so hidden—powder-filled slopes the rest of the day, experiencing my favorite snow conditions on one of the best mountains in the world on a powder day. Later that week I had a similar experience next door at Alta, as the snow continued to fall all week with about seven feet falling in five days. That EpicSki Academy week goes into my memory as one of my best ski experiences ever.

Powder snow skiing delivers sensations that must be experienced. It is impossible to describe them in a way that comes close to capturing the experience. Dolores LaChapelle in Deep Powder Snow: 40 Years of Ecstatic Skiing, Avalanches, and Earth Wisdom comes very close, though: “Powder snow skiing is not fun. It’s life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality.” She goes on to say “Joy is the response of a lover receiving what he loves. This is the joy we feel when skiing powder. . . . This overflowing gratitude is what produces the absolutely stupid, silly grins that we always flash at one another at the bottom of a powder run. We all agree that we never see these grins anywhere else in life.”
Does that help a bit?

post #30 of 69
I hate powder unless it is that wet heavy kind. (please, no comments on my taste in women, GarryZ) That light fluffy stuff just dosen't give my quads enough excercise and I really hate when it blows up in my face and I can't see where I am going!

ps. (this comment is SARCASIM)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Trip Reports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › I hate Powder