EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Backcountry, Telemark, and Cross Country › Vail Backountry and Out of Bounds List. Please Help.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vail Backountry and Out of Bounds List. Please Help.

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I am trying to make a list of all the out of bounds runs from any part of VAIL mountain. I only know a couple so if you know another Id appreciate your contributions to my list which should be longer. also if you have any thoughts you think would be helpful to the ones listed here please feel free to add.

1) East Vail Chutes - advanced to expert plus. off the pommel lift to mongolia bowls. only go with someone who knows the way and the correct chutes. avalanche risk.

2) Minturn Mile - easy to intermediate - off the backside game creek bowl

3) Mushroom Bowl - expert plus. averaging a death a year. don't do it. avalanche risk.

4) ?Above Earls Bowl? - intermediate plus - take a right off the skyline express lift, exit through OB gate, traverse over the ridge of earls bowl, and sky down the far face from the lift. if you go too low your going to have a hike up to kelly's road which is horrible in that gully powder.

like i said its a short list. please help
post #2 of 17
Good luck with that:.
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Update:
Mushroom Bowl is apparently manageable if the correct line is taken. However, it is still illegal because it is lynx habitat and forces you to reenter inbounds property which is always illegal.
Marvin's bowl, easily confused with Mushroom and is apparently twice as gnarly because of a mandatory 20ft rock face drop.

Also if people would like to just discus any experience with any of these runs, that be cool. Id like to learn about em.
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeworest View Post
Update:
Mushroom Bowl is apparently manageable if the correct line is taken. However, it is still illegal because it is lynx habitat and forces you to reenter inbounds property which is always illegal.
Marvin's bowl, easily confused with Mushroom and is apparently twice as gnarly because of a mandatory 20ft rock face drop.

Also if people would like to just discus any experience with any of these runs, that be cool. Id like to learn about em.
\

The following is just the opinion of an old fart:

I know (at least I *think* I know) that you're just trying to learn things, but this isn't the way it typically works.

Discussing - online - potentially dangerous (even deadly) routes really does encourage people to try things they are unprepared for. You have no idea who is reading something on the internet. Giving directions on how to find the "gnarliest" thing out there shortcuts an important part of the learning process. That learning process is part of what prepares people for skiing lines like that.

This sort of stuff is best learned by accompanying more experienced skiers down progressively more difficult and more "sporty" lines. It's also best learned by personally going out on sloggy, difficult, barely productive recon missions that do more to teach you more about your own capabilities than to reward you with great skiing.

I think you'll find that people who have that experience are VERY unlikely to just put it out here on a public website for fear of enticing someone whose skills aren't up to task.

Don't be too surprised if no one really comes out of the woodwork to give you detailed instructions on how to find the "fun" stuff. Some of this needs to be learned the hard and slow way.

Sorry for the crotchety response, but that's the way I feel.
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Peters View Post
\

The following is just the opinion of an old fart:

I know (at least I *think* I know) that you're just trying to learn things, but this isn't the way it typically works.

Discussing - online - potentially dangerous (even deadly) routes really does encourage people to try things they are unprepared for. You have no idea who is reading something on the internet. Giving directions on how to find the "gnarliest" thing out there shortcuts an important part of the learning process. That learning process is part of what prepares people for skiing lines like that.

This sort of stuff is best learned by accompanying more experienced skiers down progressively more difficult and more "sporty" lines. It's also best learned by personally going out on sloggy, difficult, barely productive recon missions that do more to teach you more about your own capabilities than to reward you with great skiing.

I think you'll find that people who have that experience are VERY unlikely to just put it out here on a public website for fear of enticing someone whose skills aren't up to task.

Don't be too surprised if no one really comes out of the woodwork to give you detailed instructions on how to find the "fun" stuff. Some of this needs to be learned the hard and slow way.

Sorry for the crotchety response, but that's the way I feel.
NO, i definitely understand your point, and yeah, telling people online to just head over some BC hill is VERY irresponsible because of the likelihood they'll make a wrong turn somewhere and be cliffed out, or worse.

However, I am curious and live in the area and would like to find more back country runs. My wish for this thread is for people to mention all the BC Vail routes by their name that they know of and or skied, their general location, and then to comment on, from their opinion, what they think about the respective runs feasibility and the level of risk that taking the easiest and most difficult lines.

Based on those peoples responses, I was simply hoping to then decide whether the specific run would be something I am interested in. If I am, i will then go about trying to find a more knowledgeable local to guide me down the run.

I believe this isn't an irresponsible approach and I hope you and any other knowledgeable readers will contribute.
post #6 of 17
It seems to me that if you live in the area you would be in a better position to get info on the BC runs than we are. Also keep in mind that backcountry lines change in difficulty all the time. It's not just about if the snow is good or not, its about stability. In the wrong conditions a small slab on a 25 degree slope will kill you. There is a lot more to assassing risk than reading about someones account of a run or two that they may or may not remember/describe accurately, made during a trip last season or ten seasons ago. You would probably get more accurate information at the local watering hole.
post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 
ha, yeah, i know. i am not going to be out there for the season though for another week and i guess me writing on here is a form of therapy. haha.
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeworest View Post
ha, yeah, i know. i am not going to be out there for the season though for another week and i guess me writing on here is a form of therapy. haha.
We all do what we must:
post #9 of 17
ummm...I hear that Born Free and Lion's Way are sick BC skiing...sorry, too many people looking for my spots as it is
post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
haha, what about get along road
post #11 of 17
Have you ever skied "far far away"? Would you? Please!
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Peters View Post
\

The following is just the opinion of an old fart:

I know (at least I *think* I know) that you're just trying to learn things, but this isn't the way it typically works.

Discussing - online - potentially dangerous (even deadly) routes really does encourage people to try things they are unprepared for. You have no idea who is reading something on the internet. Giving directions on how to find the "gnarliest" thing out there shortcuts an important part of the learning process. That learning process is part of what prepares people for skiing lines like that.

This sort of stuff is best learned by accompanying more experienced skiers down progressively more difficult and more "sporty" lines. It's also best learned by personally going out on sloggy, difficult, barely productive recon missions that do more to teach you more about your own capabilities than to reward you with great skiing.

I think you'll find that people who have that experience are VERY unlikely to just put it out here on a public website for fear of enticing someone whose skills aren't up to task.

Don't be too surprised if no one really comes out of the woodwork to give you detailed instructions on how to find the "fun" stuff. Some of this needs to be learned the hard and slow way.

Sorry for the crotchety response, but that's the way I feel.
Having skied all the mentioned terrain, Bob peters hit the nail on the head.

I'd also add that if you go out there and do something stupid based on what you heard on the net (or just do something stupid), you are going to make it very hard for other people to be able to legally access that terrain. It's already horrible with gapers who wait at the gates with no gear and ask they can follow you.
post #13 of 17
Wakeforest, here's a suggestion for locating new terrain in your backyard -

Have you taken a local avy class? If you haven't, you might want to consider one. One, knowing local conditions is always the best way to go, and two you're likely to meet people from a variety of backgrounds who have had local backcountry experiences different from yours. They're likely to know different terrain, have different ski partners, etc. AND - you'll get an idea of any potential new partners' skillsets as far as skiing ability and avy knowledge. Hard to lose there.

FWIW I likely wouldn't share this kind of info in my backyard, either, because of the issues outlined above. Conditions vary day to day, week to week, year to year and there's a lot of potentially dangerous terrain around here.
post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingirl1961 View Post
Wakeforest, here's a suggestion for locating new terrain in your backyard -

Have you taken a local avy class? If you haven't, you might want to consider one. One, knowing local conditions is always the best way to go, and two you're likely to meet people from a variety of backgrounds who have had local backcountry experiences different from yours. They're likely to know different terrain, have different ski partners, etc. AND - you'll get an idea of any potential new partners' skillsets as far as skiing ability and avy knowledge. Hard to lose there.

FWIW I likely wouldn't share this kind of info in my backyard, either, because of the issues outlined above. Conditions vary day to day, week to week, year to year and there's a lot of potentially dangerous terrain around here.
thanks. note to the many of the other responders: this is the kind of helpful answer that is really appreciated in response to my naive question.

just acting grumpy or chastising doesn't do anyone any good but so goes the life of internet forums where everyone would rather act above questions than actually be helpful.
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeworest View Post
thanks. note to the many of the other responders: this is the kind of helpful answer that is really appreciated in response to my naive question.

just acting grumpy or chastising doesn't do anyone any good but so goes the life of internet forums where everyone would rather act above questions than actually be helpful.
They are trying to be helpful, fakeworest (see, I got it right that time!) They're trying to help you stay alive AND they're trying to help keep you from looking like a JONG when you get out there for real. Better a little electronic "blood" than the real kind.

In a lot of respects, backcountry skiing is an apprenticeship sport. Most of us get into it by having the opportunity to ski with people who trust us enough to take us back there - because remember that I take a risk if I take you with me and your skills aren't up to snuff. As somebody moving into an area you're going to need to develop local ski partners. So, you'll want to make sure your own skills are at a level where somebody is willing to take you out there with them.
post #16 of 17
A skier was killed today in an avalanche in East Vail.
post #17 of 17
D'oh!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Backcountry, Telemark, and Cross Country › Vail Backountry and Out of Bounds List. Please Help.