EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Help Please. 07 vs. 08 Mantra
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help Please. 07 vs. 08 Mantra

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Hi. I am 5-10 173 pounds and I am looking to purchase a set of 177 Mantras. I can get the 07 Mantras for $150-$200 cheaper than the 08 Mantras. Can anyone tell me whether the changes they have made to the 08 versions would really be noticeable and worth the additional dough?
post #2 of 22
The difference is not noticeable, go for the lower price.

SJ
post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thanks Jim. Does a 177 length seem right for my size (5-10, 173 pounds)?
post #4 of 22
Depends upon your tastes. I'm 5-10 190 and ski the 184 so 177 is in the ballpark for you. If you are an agressive skier, you might want to consider the 184 as well. The Mantra has a lot of shape for a bigger ski and the longer size might feel better if you blast the off trail stuff pretty hard (shape and crud snow are sometimes not a great mix).

SJ
post #5 of 22
Now, Sierra Jim is certainly the specialist in this area, but I will throw this into the mix. I got to demo the 08 last spring, and I feel that it is a whole new ski. It is considerably wider at the tip, a little wider (check on this) under the boot. This makes it more in line with where the 09 Legend Pro is going, and closer to the dem of the B-Squad 100. I thought it skied stronger and was one of the best crud busters I'd ever ridden. And the top sheet is really nice to look at on the chair. If the dough ray me was no issue, and you keep a ski for several seasons, I'd definitely buy the 08. BTW I ride the Explosiv and the B-Squad.
post #6 of 22
Thread Starter 
Volkl is marketing the 08 as having better float due to the 2mm wider ski. Seems like a stretch that 2 mm could have much of an effect...
post #7 of 22
They had to come up with something to try and get you to buy the new ones instead of last years, which are basically the same ski. It is always a problem for a manufactuer when they make a very popular ski like the Mantra as to how they can "improve" it but not change what everybody likes about it. An hour difference is snow settling or tempurture will make more difference in float than 2mm of width.
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfoot View Post
They had to come up with something to try and get you to buy the new ones instead of last years, which are basically the same ski. It is always a problem for a manufactuer when they make a very popular ski like the Mantra as to how they can "improve" it but not change what everybody likes about it. An hour difference is snow settling or tempurture will make more difference in float than 2mm of width.
Perfect analysis. The tip width is identical, and the waist increase of 2mm is undetectable to a mortal like me regardless of conditions. Volkl occasionally will make incremental changes like this that are so minor that one has to wonder why they would bother. In the case of the invisible changes like "5% stiffer" or "added "a liiiiiitle bit of unobtanium...." you really have to wonder. They don't need many changes right now.

SJ
post #9 of 22

07-08 huge width difference

the 07 is 130-94-113, the 08 is 133-96-116 this means each ski (170cm) has approx 8 square inches more surface, times 2 16 inches more surface under your feet. that is a real, performance affecting difference, IMHO. of course, and like I said before, if money is an issue, this is no big deal, because the 07 is an awesome ski. We buy a good ski, it becomes our major tool and part of us, and it does what we ask of it. what more can you ask?
post #10 of 22
Yes...............huge!!......................

SJ
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkevin_cohen View Post
Hi. I am 5-10 173 pounds and I am looking to purchase a set of 177 Mantras. I can get the 07 Mantras for $150-$200 cheaper than the 08 Mantras. Can anyone tell me whether the changes they have made to the 08 versions would really be noticeable and worth the additional dough?
Probably not. It still looks like a good everyday ski for places that get 400"+ a year.
post #12 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post
the 07 is 130-94-113, the 08 is 133-96-116 this means each ski (170cm) has approx 8 square inches more surface, times 2 16 inches more surface under your feet. that is a real, performance affecting difference, IMHO. of course, and like I said before, if money is an issue, this is no big deal, because the 07 is an awesome ski. We buy a good ski, it becomes our major tool and part of us, and it does what we ask of it. what more can you ask?
Davluri...as I don't know much about it, can't tell if you actually think there is "real, performance affecting difference" between the 07 vs. the 08, or you are being sarcastic?!
post #13 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkevin_cohen View Post
Davluri...as I don't know much about it, can't tell if you actually think there is "real, performance affecting difference" between the 07 vs. the 08, or you are being sarcastic?!
The additional $200 could easily be spotted for the 08 over the 07 IF I thought it would really make a difference in performance. I just hate to spend it if it is not going to be a noticeable difference...
post #14 of 22
Thread Starter 
SJ...guess you don't think it is a "huge" difference...?
post #15 of 22
I think that you should wasit for the '09. I hear they are going to add another mm to the waist.....then the difference will be enormous.

Just kidding.................

SJ
post #16 of 22
The extra width might not be a massive difference, but I expect that for some the difference turing radius might be a factor in the purchasing decision between the 07 and 08 models?
post #17 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibomb View Post
The extra width might not be a massive difference, but I expect that for some the difference turing radius might be a factor in the purchasing decision between the 07 and 08 models?
In what way? Is the rturning radius much different between the two?
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkevin_cohen View Post
In what way? Is the rturning radius much different between the two?

If you keep worrying about this stuff it will be 2010 before you decide and the ski will be discontinued.

I own a Mantra......I test skis 15-20 days a year, every year, as part of my job. I have skied the '07 and the '08 on the same day in the same conditions....I can't tell the difference. The overall personality of the two skis are the same. Any differences are so minor that they don't matter.

Leave the sidecut calculator at home and go buy one. You'll have a great time with it.....

SJ
post #19 of 22

What SJ said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post
If you keep worrying about this stuff it will be 2010 before you decide and the ski will be discontinued.

I own a Mantra......I test skis 15-20 days a year, every year, as part of my job. I have skied the '07 and the '08 on the same day in the same conditions....I can't tell the difference. The overall personality of the two skis are the same. Any differences are so minor that they don't matter.

Leave the sidecut calculator at home and go buy one. You'll have a great time with it.....

SJ
Buy the skis, dude! Cheaper = better in this debate. I have the 07's and love them every time I get them out....
post #20 of 22

three percent? Do you feel it? don't know

Yup, save the dough ray me. You will not miss whatever ski you don't buy and will be totally stoked on the ones you actually ski on.

But, as usual, the forums provide a surplus of misinformation from time to time. For example the tip width is identical is simply not true. (the difference at the tip is 3mm) When you are researching, look hard at the info only after looking harder at the veracity of the info.

It might be interesting to determine whether 3% of increase in the surface area of a pair of skis translates into 3% of increased float. Years ago I went from 86 to 95 mm and the difference is 10%, and the performance difference is huge. Now, my math is also suspect, so if you need truth and accuracy, check out everything
post #21 of 22
1. I'm 5'11" and fluctuate between 180-190.
I had the first gen Mantras in a 177cm and ultimately found them a bit short. I'd go for the 184.

2. If you can't make up your mind between the 07 and 08, there's always the M-Rock, which is a re-badged 05 Mantra masking as Volkl's new wide AT ski.

3. Another option altogether is the AK King Salmon.
180cm
125/94/115

This is the ski I replaced my Mantra with. It rips and personally I find it much more versatile than the Mantra. Better on hardpack and still ripping in light soft off-piste. Great Spring ski and solid crud buster.

At $450 it's way cheaper than the Mantra, too.

http://www.akski-usa.com/products.html


Just my cents and bolts worth...
post #22 of 22
Buy the cheaper skis. Ski like a bad ass. Rip a killer core shot. Be happy you bought cheaper (SAME) ski!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Help Please. 07 vs. 08 Mantra