EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › if you don't understand New England...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

if you don't understand New England... - Page 3

post #61 of 83
I'm still looking for western mountains coated with eastern ice.
post #62 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohansson View Post
Hey MAGGOT, where was the first chairlift installed (in the world)? It was at Sun Valley in 1930. And actually, the first "lift" of any kind was installed in Truckee in 1910. But that doesn't mean there was not some parallel history going on "back East". Because of access issues, skiing became more popular more quickly in the east in the early days and the Austrians that came to Stowe and the MW Valley to open ski schools really got skiing going in North America as a commercial enterprise.

How about the Olympics? 2 in the east (Lake Placid) and 2 in the west (Tahoe and SLC) but the next one's going to tip that scale to the west. Let's not forget that Denver had the Olympics in 1976 and then backed out (due to environmental impact IIRC). And BTW, the 1932 Olympics at Placid did not include alpine skiing.

Ok, I get what you guys are saying about the history. I just don't see that as a big deal in the history of skiing as a whole. It is an important part of the history of American skiing, but in the history of skiing as a whole, I think its inconsequential. Just because someone skied somewhere doesn't make it an important part of ski history. Farmers kids skiing their fields is cool, but I don't get how its affected the direction of the sport or anything.

Plenty of places have had Olympics. I don't see any of you running off to go ski in Sarajevo.

But if you guys love the East, by all means, tear it up.
post #63 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowsport View Post
That's right, dammit, and we walk, barefoot, to the ski area.
Yah, and uphill, both ways...
post #64 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
Uphill, both ways of course.
Already covered that.
post #65 of 83
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohansson View Post
I think the OP was talking about the historical value of NE skiing and how (to him, at least) understanding that history makes one appreciate the skiing experience more.
Not really. It doesn't necessarily follow that I believe what I post. Like Saudan's Boudoir correctly says, it's a retarded statement. I like a good East vs. West argument as much as the next fella.

I agree with a great deal of what's been written here by folk from all over.
post #66 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
I'm still looking for western mountains coated with eastern ice.
Try Colorado. :
post #67 of 83
We get 300" and some rain on top of it. That should count for something.
post #68 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by learn2turn View Post
Wrong,

The real history of skiing has been written in places like Scandinavia, the Alps, Jackson, Tahoe, Bridger, Alaska, British Columbia, Aspen, and Sun Valley, and Stowe, and North Conway, and Carrrabasett Valley, and a bunch of unknown places where a farmer ran a rope tow off his old pickup and the local kids bought their skis at the hardware store.

THANK YOU!!!
post #69 of 83
And lets not forget Tuckermans Ravine circa 1937, when Toni Matt tucked the Headwall from the Summit of Washington during the Inferno Race. There's some New England lore for ya.
post #70 of 83
There's some good skiing in New England. But to paraphrase one of the posts above, unless I'm in the neighborhood, it's not like I'm going back just for the skiing. Kind of wish I could hit MRG every now and then, though...
post #71 of 83
Since I live here, I get the most powder days right here. If it's during the week even better it'll last longer. You get untouched lines in the woods, but then you ski the woods which presents its own set of issues. Lots of short turns and obstacles. It's fun though!
post #72 of 83
Name me one place in the country where you can get ..

Great extra, extra sharp cheddah' cheese ....

and

Have some rough and strange sex ... :

and

It's all within half hour of the mountain?

:
post #73 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki View Post
Name me one place in the country where you can get ..

Great extra, extra sharp cheddah' cheese ....

and

Have some rough and strange sex ... :

and

It's all within half hour of the mountain?

:
I dunno, but I'm sure staying the heck away from anywhere that has rough and strange sex with cheese.
post #74 of 83
Yuki,

Are you working for the Powder Corp. marketing department?
post #75 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGGOT View Post
Ok, I get what you guys are saying about the history. I just don't see that as a big deal in the history of skiing as a whole. It is an important part of the history of American skiing, but in the history of skiing as a whole, I think its inconsequential. Just because someone skied somewhere doesn't make it an important part of ski history. Farmers kids skiing their fields is cool, but I don't get how its affected the direction of the sport or anything.

Plenty of places have had Olympics. I don't see any of you running off to go ski in Sarajevo.

But if you guys love the East, by all means, tear it up.
My point was that skiing history is not the sole provenance of New England. There was just as much (if not more) history made in the western half of North America as in the eastern half.

Some of us have been in Sarajevo recently (OK 2001 isn't so recent....) although we had to hike for our turns...and carry guns :::.
post #76 of 83
I have been out West just once. It was gorgeous in every regard.

However, the ice at Snowbird skied just like the ice Sugarloaf.

hmmmm??
post #77 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugaree View Post
I have been out West just once. It was gorgeous in every regard.

However, the ice at Snowbird skied just like the ice Sugarloaf.

hmmmm??
You should try the powder at the bird vs. Sugarloaf - or even the packed powder.

The other difference is that ice at the bird is a bit of an abberation, but in the east, well........
post #78 of 83
SnoFun........You're wrong.

Ice is ice.

Between snowmaking and grooming the skiing in the East has improved greatly over the years.

I have very few days in which I complain about the snow conditions back here in the East.

There are A Lot of misconceptions about skiing the East. But that's O.K..
I wouldn't want to see a lift line like the lift line I've seen at Alta. OMG!!:
post #79 of 83
If you don't understand new England... You may not be used to freeze/thaw cycles. You may often get dry light snowstorms that do not start out as rain. You may not pass dilapidated old barns and shacks with 50 years worth of old junked cars sprouting rust and weeds in the yard. You may drive to your local ski area without ever passing a yard sale or a church breakfast. You may not get stuck behind a slow moving old rust bucket with VT/NH/ME plates. You might not stop on the way home to spend more than you would at your local supermarket for maple syrup. You may have never spent the night in a cold, drafty old farmhouse that passed for a quaint country inn. You might never have skied in temperatures below 20 below.

But I see no reason why you wouldn't understand skiing.
post #80 of 83
Crank.....with any luck at all, that won't change!
post #81 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by crank View Post
You may drive to your local ski area without ever passing a yard sale or a church breakfast.
That's right. We're so hardcore in the east, we have yard sales in the dead of winter.
post #82 of 83

Uncle Yuki's Believe Or Else

Believe it or ??

The Appalachian Mountains once towered so high the Rocky Mountains were in their shadow.

We hard core eastern types skied so hard we wore them down to almost nothin.

And that, is the truth!



Bogner wearing limp ski wonders got nutthin and if you've never done a double blanket day at Stowe .... ahhh ... it's puttin pearls before swine.
post #83 of 83
Up until last week I was certain I understood New England just fine, and that it was places out west like Utah that confused me.

After skiing opening day at MRG I'm not sure what I understand any more!

Maybe I keep my skis too sharp?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › if you don't understand New England...