or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling All Utah Skiers - Page 2

post #31 of 45
Thread Starter 
Ok , is it just me or have i heard smoking hot woman lik 4 times in the same thread. Does Utah have some strange thing that makes the female population more attractive than normal. I remember someone saying that a lot or mormons are blondes. Can anyone explain?
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclay2 View Post
I remember someone saying that a lot or mormons are blondes. Can anyone explain?
I haven't noticed that. In fact I'm almost sure it's not true.

However I do think there's something to living "the word of wisdom".
post #33 of 45
Thread Starter 
powderpig: I don't understand what you mean by "living the word of wisdom."
post #34 of 45
as a student myself, but older (24) i know college pretty well- i started at community college, and transfered to a better school to finish my undergrad. it's a "top" school according to some, but i must say that things such as rankings and reputation are only marginally relevant.

in retrospect, i probably would have been better off in college had i chosen a place that wasn't the best school i got into (which i did), but instead went to the best school for me- the place i would be most comfortable learning and living.

you should go to a school that provides a respectable, quality education- a place where you can fully engage and pull the most from the experience. i cannot see spending for years at a place where the academics are good, but personally things aren't as conducive to personal growth and advancement.

it's all about balance- make sure that you feel comfortable in that school, academically, socially and personally. just cause there's amazing skiing uphill, doesn't mean it will be tons of fun; utah is VERY different than where you come from, and you'd be surprised how this can affect your experience in school. however, some people are truly balanced by skiing alone- it can be a consuming, yet healthy passion unique to a certain breed.

good luck, and don't sweat the whole college thing too much. there's always plenty of time for skiing, regardless of where you go.
post #35 of 45
Honestly, you can't go wrong with either choice. I graduated from Utah in '92, and enjoyed my time up there. But I have several friends who went to Westminster as well....it's a very good school. They're both commuter schools, but Westminster moreso. There are several dorms and on-campus apartments at Utah. They're both located on the northeast end of the valley, and both very accessible to the interstate to get you up the canyons. If you can get a full ride to U. of U., then all the better. Good luck to you.
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclay2 View Post
Ok , is it just me or have i heard smoking hot woman lik 4 times in the same thread. Does Utah have some strange thing that makes the female population more attractive than normal. I remember someone saying that a lot or mormons are blondes. Can anyone explain?

You know they almost put Marie Osmond on the new Utah Quarter. It was between her, the great snow we have here and the golden spike. I don't know how they picked the golden spike
post #37 of 45
Thread Starter 
So I am getting a feel that both schools are fairly similar besides the obvious difference in Small/Large schools. I am somewhat surprised though that Westminster is more of a commuter school.
post #38 of 45
If you are not Mormon, living in Utah can be like living in a cult.
post #39 of 45
Thread Starter 
Yes ebough, I am a christian and come from a church family and have heard arguments like this from my Mom about why I shouldn't go to college in utah.
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclay2 View Post
Yes ebough, I am a christian and come from a church family and have heard arguments like this from my Mom about why I shouldn't go to college in utah.
umm yeah the local religion shouldnt be a deciding factor on whether you come to utah or not. Being a college student and skier you will meet tons of out of staters. Plus remember SLC is 60 percent non mormon.

Besides without the mormons and the perception about this place this place would be alot more popular.

I think they are great people in fact, they live a very clean and healthy life that focuses on family. Since I am not religious at all the other stuff doesnt bother me one bit. Believe in what you want to believe in. I do have to commend them for there lifestyle choice though
post #41 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Besides without the mormons and the perception about this place this place would be alot more popular.
I really don't care about whether or not mormons are there however if people stay away, I guess it would be good for the skiing.
post #42 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
umm yeah the local religion shouldnt be a deciding factor on whether you come to utah or not. Being a college student and skier you will meet tons of out of staters. Plus remember SLC is 60 percent non mormon.

Besides without the mormons and the perception about this place this place would be alot more popular.

I think they are great people in fact, they live a very clean and healthy life that focuses on family. Since I am not religious at all the other stuff doesnt bother me one bit. Believe in what you want to believe in. I do have to commend them for there lifestyle choice though
Yea, it's kind of funny. Of the 40% that are mormon in SLC, I would bet on maybe fewer than 50% even attend church regularly. SLC really is only around 20% believing Mormon, IMO. Park City is probably around 2-5%.

The Mormon church is big on talking about how fast the church is growing or how big the church is but the numbers they share are inflated. It's the darnedest thing.

The HUGE advantage to being in Utah is the resorts empty out on Sunday, especially up around Ogden. You can ski Snowbasin on a Sunday and it is usually pretty empty. That is a big time plus in my book.

I have family in the south and I have to say that I would feel more uncomfortable living in the bible belt.

No offense intended.
post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by okolepuka View Post
Yea, it's kind of funny. Of the 40% that are mormon in SLC, I would bet on maybe fewer than 50% even attend church regularly. SLC really is only around 20% believing Mormon, IMO. Park City is probably around 2-5%.

The Mormon church is big on talking about how fast the church is growing or how big the church is but the numbers they share are inflated. It's the darnedest thing.

The HUGE advantage to being in Utah is the resorts empty out on Sunday, especially up around Ogden. You can ski Snowbasin on a Sunday and it is usually pretty empty. That is a big time plus in my book.

I have family in the south and I have to say that I would feel more uncomfortable living in the bible belt.

No offense intended.
I don't get it? If there are so many that don't practice why do the resorts empty out so much on Sunday?
post #44 of 45
Thread Starter 
Well If I end up there, I hope there is a revival in all churches sunday. Just think what the skiing would be like then.
post #45 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattL View Post
I don't get it? If there are so many that don't practice why do the resorts empty out so much on Sunday?
Not so much at Snowbird and Alta but you notice it at Solitude and brighton, and, as I stated, especially in Ogden.

SLC is just one part of the Wasatch Front. There are many mormons in the suburbs, they send their kids skiing/boarding on Sat then take them to church on Sunday. Living in SLC doesn't feel anything like living in the suburbs, just like most cities.

Snowbasin and Powder draw from Weber and Davis county. Davis county is very mormon except for the air force base, Weber is very mormon outside of Ogden. Most of the working people in Weber county can't really afford to ski, so that thins out the resort already. Those who can afford to ski tend to be mostly LDS, then they send their kids to church on Sunday.

The Park City resorts don't really count, they are busy both Sat and Sun.

Utah is a very complicated state but there are a lot of smoking hot women here so it kind of evens out the quirks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion