New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vist plate question

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
This is going to sound like I'm totally clueless, and perhaps I am

Can someone describe - in layman terms -
Vist plate
and
Vist Speedlock
post #2 of 29
VIST is an Italian company that got its start making World Cup race plates for most of the top ski companies and made the original Nordica binding. They also make skis (actually have skis made for them) and ski wear.

www.vist.it

The Speedlock is a binding and plate interface that allows you to pop off and recently have been plagued by binding breakage and loss of market share to other bindings- Vist is expensive!
post #3 of 29
Thread Starter 
This is what I thought.
So If I'm getting a ski with a vist plate, I can get the speedlock interface and bindings to make it easy to use one set of bindings on two sets of skis. Correct?
post #4 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
This is what I thought.
So If I'm getting a ski with a vist plate, I can get the speedlock interface and bindings to make it easy to use one set of bindings on two sets of skis. Correct?
Maybe. Not all VIST plates are Speedlocks. Most are not.
post #5 of 29
Thread Starter 
epic, I was under the assumption that the speedlock was an interface that goes on the VIST plate. What you're saying is that the VIST speedlock IS the plate?

This is a binding technology that has intrigued me. When I asked about a VIST speedlock binding system, locally, I got a blank look staring back at me. Since I'm not very knowledgeable about this system, I didn't pursue the conversation.
post #6 of 29
Yep, it is the plate. If the plate you have isn't a speedlock you'd have to remove and replace it.
post #7 of 29
Thread Starter 
Why would a ski mfgr choose to utilize a VIST plate or VIST Speedlock(respectively)?
post #8 of 29
Vist is an OEM manufacturer of plates for many ski companies. They will make plates to the specs of any manufacturer for use primarily on their race skis. Plates that are manufactured by Vist are standard equipment on Blizzard, Head, Nordica, Elan and others. Some come with no holes, but Elan for example, chooses to have their plates pre-drilled for Tyrolia. I believe Head does the same.

The speed lock is something different altogether. It is a plate and binding system. ONLY Vist speedlock Bindings will work with a speedlock plate. If you wanted to use one pair of bindings between two sets of skis, you would need 2 Non-system, flat skis, 2 speedlock plates, and one pair of speedlock bindings.
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.P. Racer View Post
Vist is an OEM manufacturer of plates for many ski companies. They will make plates to the specs of any manufacturer for use primarily on their race skis. Plates that are manufactured by Vist are standard equipment on Blizzard, Head, Nordica, Elan and others. Some come with no holes, but Elan for example, chooses to have their plates pre-drilled for Tyrolia. I believe Head does the same.

The speed lock is something different altogether. It is a plate and binding system. ONLY Vist speedlock Bindings will work with a speedlock plate. If you wanted to use one pair of bindings between two sets of skis, you would need 2 Non-system, flat skis, 2 speedlock plates, and one pair of speedlock bindings.
Not true, I have Markers on my Speedlocks. If I had multible pairs of race skis, Vist Speedlocks woud be the way I went.
post #10 of 29
I think for skiers that ski on several pairs of skis and enjoy switching back and forth, the ability to quickly change bindings from ski to ski is a great concept. Plus when you travel to ski and take two pair, your bag would be that much lighter as well.

How much is a Vist plate and how much for the Vist Lock bindings ?
post #11 of 29
Looking at their catalog, I think the switchable/easy-on plate is the Quicklock, not the Speedlock series. Some of the Speedlock series I've definitely seen OEM on various skis for various bindings.

The Quicklock idea is intriguing but I bet the design was challenging.
post #12 of 29
Thread Starter 
Like roundturns, I'm curious........
Lets say I have a ski with a VIST plate but not a VIST speedlock, what would it take in effort and cost to replace the VIST with VIST speedlock?
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
Not true, I have Markers on my Speedlocks. If I had multible pairs of race skis, Vist Speedlocks woud be the way I went.
We know YOU have them, but the reality is that for pretty much everyone else, it's VIST or nothing.
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
Not true, I have Markers on my Speedlocks. If I had multible pairs of race skis, Vist Speedlocks woud be the way I went.
Huh... I stand corrected.

So are those Markers made specifically for the speedlock plate? Or can you retrofit any brand of binding?
post #15 of 29
I have been trying to get the firm price for a pair of Vist speedlock plates and bindings. I think retail for the Plates and Bindings together is around $580. I have a pair and love them but they came with some used skis that I purchased off of ebay. My wife wants a set and I want an extra pair of plates. Does anyone know where I can get them here in the US?
post #16 of 29
Whiteroom has them. You can PM him from here.
post #17 of 29
Thread Starter 
My Skis arrived, and they have a race stock plate on them. The plate is drilled to mount the marker bindings. I would really like to switch these over to VIST speedlock. Might have to bring them to Stowe and let Whiteroom set me up.
post #18 of 29
The VIST Speedlock series are all pre-punched to take the only the Speedlock binding inserts. I am unsure how you can have mounted a Marker on these plates!

VIST does make a line of non-drilled plates- one look at their website: vist.it can answer pretty much all your questions.

VIST's oem plates are of course another story all together.


post #19 of 29
VIST USA (Toby Kerr) can be reached at:

fundoctdk@comcast.net
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by srd View Post
The VIST Speedlock series are all pre-punched to take the only the Speedlock binding inserts. I am unsure how you can have mounted a Marker on these plates!

VIST does make a line of non-drilled plates- one look at their website: vist.it can answer pretty much all your questions.

VIST's oem plates are of course another story all together.

Like these....

post #21 of 29
So, Phil.... you can just pop those binders off there without using tools?
post #22 of 29
Phil- looks like you are using the flat plate adapters that go BETWEEN the Speedlock plate and the Markers? Otherwise trying to mount another binding without hitting the Speedlock punched inserts would be really hard!

Nava's! We had a test pair at Pepi Sports in Vail back in 1984 we got from Piero Gros! Zero performance- do you actually use them?
post #23 of 29
Thread Starter 
SRD, Thanks for the added information. Most of what I've read in this thread has confirmed what I thought, but I've learned a new appreciation for the VIST technology.

As for Phil's Nava's, There are a few threads about those on Epic, One here which has a link in it to the original thread. Pics are coming!
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.P. Racer View Post
So, Phil.... you can just pop those binders off there without using tools?
Yes, they are Speedlocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srd View Post
Phil- looks like you are using the flat plate adapters that go BETWEEN the Speedlock plate and the Markers? Otherwise trying to mount another binding without hitting the Speedlock punched inserts would be really hard!

Nava's! We had a test pair at Pepi Sports in Vail back in 1984 we got from Piero Gros! Zero performance- do you actually use them?
I haven't used the Nava's...yet. I plan to this winter. I am in search of the perfect ski for them. :
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
Yes, they are Speedlocks.



I haven't used the Nava's...yet. I plan to this winter. I am in search of the perfect ski for them. :
Wow. Very cool. I haven't seen a pair of those in real life. Thanks for the picture.
post #26 of 29
Very very cool...
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdude View Post
I have been trying to get the firm price for a pair of Vist speedlock plates and bindings. I think retail for the Plates and Bindings together is around $580. I have a pair and love them but they came with some used skis that I purchased off of ebay. My wife wants a set and I want an extra pair of plates. Does anyone know where I can get them here in the US?
That price seems high. I got my setup from Mike at SkierShop in Stowe, VT. Lots of Vist stuff there and the prices seemed reasonable. Service was excellent and the turn around was fast. I think it may be worth a call.
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by srd View Post
Phil- looks like you are using the flat plate adapters that go BETWEEN the Speedlock plate and the Markers?
Normally the flat plate adapters come with the Speedloks so you can use binders of your choice. When mounting the Markers etc on flat plates the bolts must be ground off to fit. Obviously this must be done with care and takes extra time. Vist Speedlok with Speedlok binders or adapters also allows fine tuning fore aft position such as moving back of center the new SLs and so on. It is a real skookum system used on WC, EC, NorAms etc.

- FF
post #29 of 29
Vist has their US dealer list online at www.vist.it
Their sales manager is Toby Kerr in Denver and you can get him via the website.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion