EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Advice on Dec. 6 Utah-maybe now Wyoming
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advice on Dec. 6 Utah-maybe now Wyoming - Page 5

post #121 of 131
Snowbird needs a 50-inch base at the bottom of the hill for no worries skiing. 100 inches is an exaggeration.

But as most of you know, I'm firmly in agreement with BushwackerinPA and ChrisC on the timing argument.

It's always nice to get powder at these places. The odds for the powder are the same in March as in December, and only about 20% less in April.

But on a 4-day trip planned ahead you're only going to get that big powder what, 20% of the time, maybe? For the other 80% I sure would rather be there on the 100+ inch base when I can ski Great Scott, High Rustler, Tigertail, Supreme, etc. than in early December when those places may or may not be adequately covered.

If you love AltaBird and ski there every month, great. But if you fly in for December and don't come back in March/April, that makes no sense to me.
post #122 of 131
FYI the view up there today in the bluebird sunshine that the valley doesnt even know was happeing were freaking awesome
post #123 of 131
Found this on the PCMR website regarding Jupiter
"PS Jupiter is very much on our radar, our snow safety team is heading up there tomorrow to start working on it so I hope to have an update on it shortly."
Just thought Id share.
post #124 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crocker View Post
Snowbird needs a 50-inch base at the bottom of the hill for no worries skiing.
50" - that seems about right.
March - Crowds - spring breakers, "no worry skiers" - seems like we have more than i though here.
Racoon eyes. sunscreen burns my eyes, and i don't like when my face peels off after a trip
Too Hot Skiing - sometimes
Taking a chance on slush(yes even at the bird), with warm fronts
Big, Steep, Hard, Moguls - Sun is higher, baking in the afternoon, freeze at night, that is not no worries to me. been there done that.
post #125 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks329 View Post
Found this on the PCMR website regarding Jupiter
"PS Jupiter is very much on our radar, our snow safety team is heading up there tomorrow to start working on it so I hope to have an update on it shortly."
Just thought Id share.

thanks. Jupiter watch is on...
post #126 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
Agree with this.

This is not a great forum for advice. It is a very supportive place. But sometimes this support enables some bad decisions in my book.
There's lots of good advice on these forums, you just need to sift through the chaff!



Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post
Targhee will be good, but it's kind of melllow.

The best expert skiing in the west this weekend will be in Aspen. It' just a little further in the other direction. They're opening the bowl Saturday and Ajax has plenty of expert runs open.

I am actually fly through SLC tonight and not sure if my flight will get into ASE.
If anybody wants a ride from SLC to Aspen, PM me before 2:00.

My flight didn't make it and I ended up driving in about 3am. This weekend was off the hook, ton's of snow, great entertainment and lots of cute WC racers. I need a couple of weeks rest before I go back.
post #127 of 131
Quote:
Too Hot Skiing - sometimes
Taking a chance on slush(yes even at the bird), with warm fronts
Big, Steep, Hard, Moguls - Sun is higher, baking in the afternoon, freeze at night, that is not no worries to me. been there done that.
Still a surprising viewpoint from a "Snowbird Devotee." Snowbird is one of the best spring ski mountains on the continent. I'm there 4 days in March every year. Most of the steeps (Silver Fox/Priomrose, Upper Cirque, Little Cloud Bowl, Gadzooks/STH) retain dry winter snow in March even when it's warm enough to ski in a T-shirt. For the rest, follow the sun around. In early December there are numerous skiable lines that won't be adequately covered in even average years.

With Alta there is a better case for the opposing argument. Alta gets covered faster and about 75% of it skis nicely on the 4 foot base that is sketchy on much of Snowbird. And a lot of the best terrain at Alta faces east or west and thus has a faster transition to spring conditions in warm weather than at Snowbird.

If I lived in Utah, my guess is that I would ski at least 2 days at Alta for every one at Snowbird through January, but 3 at Snowbird for every one at Alta from March onwards.
post #128 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crocker View Post
Still a surprising viewpoint from a "Snowbird Devotee." Snowbird is one of the best spring ski mountains on the continent. I'm there 4 days in March every year. Most of the steeps (Silver Fox/Priomrose, Upper Cirque, Little Cloud Bowl, Gadzooks/STH) retain dry winter snow in March even when it's warm enough to ski in a T-shirt. For the rest, follow the sun around. In early December there are numerous skiable lines that won't be adequately covered in even average years.

With Alta there is a better case for the opposing argument. Alta gets covered faster and about 75% of it skis nicely on the 4 foot base that is sketchy on much of Snowbird. And a lot of the best terrain at Alta faces east or west and thus has a faster transition to spring conditions in warm weather than at Snowbird.

If I lived in Utah, my guess is that I would ski at least 2 days at Alta for every one at Snowbird through January, but 3 at Snowbird for every one at Alta from March onwards.
I couldn't agree more.

Add to that the fact that - IF YOU KNOW YOUR WAY AROUND SNOWBIRD - you have the spring-skiing advantage of a much wider variety of aspects and elevations than at Alta. SOMEWHERE on that mountain is going to have great skiing at any given time of day during the springtime.

Maybe you just have to be smart enough to find it and good enough to ski it.
post #129 of 131
Busy taking notes here.
post #130 of 131
The downside to spring skiing is that somewhat short time between frozen and slop, but since Snowbird added south facing Mineral Basin, there seems to be some soft snow most of the day. We passed on their spring pass last year due to the bad snow year (and price increase!), but it's a whole second season after Snowbasin closes.
post #131 of 131
Best part about the corn cycle is that you can stay out late partying ever night since you don't have to wake up until 10
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Advice on Dec. 6 Utah-maybe now Wyoming