EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Wanted: All Mountain Twin Tip for Northern VT
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wanted: All Mountain Twin Tip for Northern VT

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
I live in northern VT and ski almost exclusively at Jay Peak. Last year I skied an old pair of 186 Dynastar 4x4s and stayed on the trails. For this coming season I would like to get into the woods more, probably 50% of the time. I'm also interested in getting twin tip skis just to have the option to play around when I feel like it. Essentially I'm looking for an all mountain twin tip. I have done a lot of research and narrowed my options down to four skis. I'm 6' 225lbs.

1) Public Enemy, 179
I like what I have read about the PE, but, is it a little too small for me if I get into some deep stuff?

2) Volkle Bridge, 177 or 185
The Bridge at 92mm wide should be better in the powder but can it keep up with the others on the groomers?

3) Volkle Wall, 177 or 185
Similar width to the PE but available in 185.

4) Line Prophet 90, 179 or 186
Another good option.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
post #2 of 21
Head Mojo 90 186cm.
post #3 of 21
What W said.
post #4 of 21
I love the line prophet 90 for an all-mountain twin. It skis surprisingly well in the NE. I went with a 179 (6'0" 200lbs).
post #5 of 21
another mojo90 vote.
post #6 of 21
Id do the PE or the bridge. The wall is more a park ski, and im not too familiar with the Head. I wouldn't do the prophet.
post #7 of 21
Icelantic Nomads in 168cm. I am ordering in a week or two. Everyone is raving about these skis.
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
Id do the PE or the bridge. The wall is more a park ski, and im not too familiar with the Head. I wouldn't do the prophet.
I skied the PE all last season and really liked it in all conditions. What don't you like about the prophet?
post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 
Would the Public Enemy be too small for me if I venture of trail?
post #10 of 21
mojo90 would be my choice
post #11 of 21
Thread Starter 
The mojo does looks like a good choice. But, I hate the new graphics. :

While I was on heads website I used there product selector and they recommended the IM78. They describe it as a 50/50 ski which is what I'm looking for. What can you tell me about this ski, does it have an upturned tail? The IM82 also looks like a possibility.
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLounsbury View Post
The mojo does looks like a good choice. But, I hate the new graphics. :

While I was on heads website I used there product selector and they recommended the IM78. They describe it as a 50/50 ski which is what I'm looking for. What can you tell me about this ski, does it have an upturned tail? The IM82 also looks like a possibility.
I have last year's IM82. It's my go to ski on most days. The IM78 is suppose to be more versatile in that it will carve better and still work well off-piste.
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLounsbury View Post
The mojo does looks like a good choice. But, I hate the new graphics. :

While I was on heads website I used there product selector and they recommended the IM78. They describe it as a 50/50 ski which is what I'm looking for. What can you tell me about this ski, does it have an upturned tail? The IM82 also looks like a possibility.
At the risk of stating the obvious, you do realize that the 78 is not a twin tip? Great ski, but definitely not a twin.

Here's another vote for the Mojo 90 if you're looking for a twin. If you hate the "new" graphics, save yourself some money and find a pair that's two years old - there have been no significant changes in that ski over the last four years or so other than the graphics. If your ego could stand it, find a pair of Sweet Fat Thangs from a couple of years ago, they're basically the same ski also.

Good luck in the search.
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck it View Post
Icelantic Nomads in 168cm. I am ordering in a week or two. Everyone is raving about these skis.
I second this vote... I have a pair and they rock!!!
post #15 of 21

Jay skis

Dude,

I'm about the same proportions as you and also ski Jay frequently - here are my choices for twins:

1. Volkl Mantra in 184 - This ski works great at jay powder, crud and ice.
2. Salomon Gun - as good as Mantra
3. Rossignol Scratch Steeze - crossover freeride/jib

I personally use Rossi B4 most of the time - but its not exactly a twin tip. Also tried B Squad there - worked for me.
post #16 of 21
The PE is a great ski, and in deep snow it skis a lot longer than the 179cm suggests (the 179cm is more representative of the hard snow characteristics, where it skis short). The 179cm PE is only 2cm shorter than my 185cm Volkl Karmas were.
post #17 of 21
Thread Starter 
Jay has head and line skis at there demo center so when they open I may tryout the mojo 90 and prophet 90. I just wish they had K2 skis as well.
post #18 of 21
At Jay.

Out of your list I would drop the Wall right away. Its park ski with not much all-mountain abilty.

the other 3 are great.

I would go on the fatter side at Jay Peak though and check out some 183 Gotama and 179cm seths.
post #19 of 21
Thread Starter 
Well the demo center was open this weekend so I demoed some skis. First I tried the 186 Mojo 90s. I did a few runs and didn't feel comfortable, they felt to short and unstable at higher speeds. This was my first time on twin tip skis, I assume the short feeling was due to the mid mount and twin tips. Next, I tried 193 Mojo 90s and liked them a lot. They felt much more stable and I was much more comfortable. I was very impressed with how maneuverable they were even at 193 long (I had assumed 193 would be too long). They were great on everything but ice and could feel the flex of the skis much better then with the 186s. I stayed on these for most of the day to get a good feel for them. At the end of the day I did a few runs on Solomon 99 guns 181 long (longest ones they had at the time). I didn't know what to think of these. They felt stiff to me and again too short.

There are some good deals to be had on older 193 Mojo 90s so I think thats what I will get. Big thanks to everyone for the help.
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLounsbury View Post
Well the demo center was open this weekend so I demoed some skis. First I tried the 186 Mojo 90s. I did a few runs and didn't feel comfortable, they felt to short and unstable at higher speeds. This was my first time on twin tip skis, I assume the short feeling was due to the mid mount and twin tips. Next, I tried 193 Mojo 90s and liked them a lot. They felt much more stable and I was much more comfortable. I was very impressed with how maneuverable they were even at 193 long (I had assumed 193 would be too long). They were great on everything but ice and could feel the flex of the skis much better then with the 186s. I stayed on these for most of the day to get a good feel for them. At the end of the day I did a few runs on Solomon 99 guns 181 long (longest ones they had at the time). I didn't know what to think of these. They felt stiff to me and again too short.

There are some good deals to be had on older 193 Mojo 90s so I think thats what I will get. Big thanks to everyone for the help.
Did they feel short because some twins are mounted more towards the center than the flat skis you are used to? Or were they short because they were unstable at speeds? I only ask because I just weigh 25lbs less than you, and the 193 Mojo seemed really long. Like a previous post said, I would look at last year's Seth in a 189. It is a really beefy ski. Last year instead of this year because this year has a mini rocker.
post #21 of 21
Thread Starter 
I think they may have felt short because of where they were mounted. It was my first time on twin tips mounted that far forward. They didn't feel as stable as what I'm used to.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Wanted: All Mountain Twin Tip for Northern VT