New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Marker Bindings - Page 4

post #91 of 111
I've pre-released out of Markers twice (once during a high-speed carved turn and once after a moderate jump to a fairly flat landing) and Tyrolias once (low speed on a bumpy runout). Not sure I understand why there are people defending Markers so vigorously. The tendency of Markers to pre-release when skiing aggressively is well established. One of the great things about online forums is the ability to find out what works and what doesn't from people that use the product instead of from marketing materials. If you want to continue using Markers and feel that they are adequate for your type of skiing that's fine, but don't flame someone whose warnings may help to keep someone else safe. Assuming kubagr is right and those of us that have pre-released are just hacks (doubt it), why would you want to use a binding that releases when you are in complete control but not skiing with techinque as refined as his.

karmacoma:
I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. That is absolutely terrible. Can you tell us more about what happened and what equipment was being used?
post #92 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sexington View Post
I've pre-released out of Markers twice (once during a high-speed carved turn and once after a moderate jump to a fairly flat landing) and Tyrolias once (low speed on a bumpy runout). Not sure I understand why there are people defending Markers so vigorously. The tendency of Markers to pre-release when skiing aggressively is well established. One of the great things about online forums is the ability to find out what works and what doesn't from people that use the product instead of from marketing materials. If you want to continue using Markers and feel that they are adequate for your type of skiing that's fine, but don't flame someone whose warnings may help to keep someone else safe. Assuming kubagr is right and those of us that have pre-released are just hacks (doubt it), why would you want to use a binding that releases when you are in complete control but not skiing with techinque as refined as his.

karmacoma:
I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. That is absolutely terrible. Can you tell us more about what happened and what equipment was being used?

i'd like to heat the comments about the accident as well.
thanks chad, for such polite post. i'm not defending markers, i'm not in the sale business, but i'm ALLWAYS looking scientificaly into any type of common opinions. i can only speak about my experience, and my family members/friends...... just based my/family/friends, i'm finding no support for the theory about prerelease....... i became aware of it about 10 years ago, never had any support for it. for last 10 years i've been looking specificaly for anything (in my experience) which would support the theory and so far found nothing

the theory about higher setting....... don't know what to say, cause i've had no experience with other bindings. i know my setting and i use them.FYU: i really hate any binding which release when they suppose to still be holding the skis and my markers have released only in cases of big boooom which happen 2-5x/season. if the have released in situation i don't want them, they would be gooooooone.

i think the only argument for me would be to test (blindly) different bindings, in the same condition, and on the same skis by different skiers.
post #93 of 111
Just started using markers this season cause they came on used skis, 3 pair no issues (yet?). Could it be a particular shape of boot toe that creates/contributes to the problem?
post #94 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
Just started using markers this season cause they came on used skis, 3 pair no issues (yet?). Could it be a particular shape of boot toe that creates/contributes to the problem?
Maybe or as posted early on, worn boots, anything on the soles, etc that doesn't insure good contact within the binding will contribute to a pre release.
I have never had a pre release issue, but my boots were new when I last used Marker bindings. I ordered some end of the season sale Nordica's with Marker bindings. The toes and heel plates on my boots show a little wear from three years use. Hopefully, my tech can get me a secure mount with my boots. I need to look into getting some new toe and heel sole plates for my Technicas.
post #95 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsule View Post
It's like saying all Fords are crap because you owned a '71 Pinto that sucked. But then again you probably do hate Fords because you had a pre-release while in the backseat!
This example really isn't helping you make your point: Three Fords have exploded into flames in driveways and garages within the past month within 30 miles of my house. They weren't even running.:
post #96 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubagr View Post
just VISiTed their page. they look like older models made by salomon. but, how much can you do about the look of different binding.........
VIST and Solomon should only be used in the same sentence if it is a very close replication or variation of the following:

"VIST bindings are superior to Solomon bindings in every way."

Not similar at all.

Every binding 3-12 and above is essentially an all metal multi directional release binding (they have cosmetic plastic covers), combined with the plates they add a bit of weight to a ski but they also add quite a bit of 'ski' to a ski. ie the same ski mounted flat with a reasonable quality binding does not ski as well as the same ski with a VIST plate/ binding.

There is even a noticable difference between VIST plates which can change how the ski 'feels' under foot.
post #97 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew R View Post
VIST and Solomon should only be used in the same sentence if it is a very close replication or variation of the following:

"VIST bindings are superior to Solomon bindings in every way."

Not similar at all.
you would think the freeskiker would give up there all metal comp solly then if that is true
post #98 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
Just started using markers this season cause they came on used skis, 3 pair no issues (yet?). Could it be a particular shape of boot toe that creates/contributes to the problem?
Yes the worn heel/ toe shape caused by people who walk through the village/ car park without cat tracks.

DIN interface - designed to work with a certain shape & surface- not assited by deep gravel gouges and bevels seen on lots of boots.

Not looking after one's boots is as stupid as driving a car with bald tyres.
post #99 of 111
Wow, 4 pages on yeh/ney of Marker bindings. What would happen if somehow we could work snowboarding into this thread?
post #100 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
Wow, 4 pages on yeh/ney of Marker bindings. What would happen if somehow we could work snowboarding into this thread?
I knew a guy who heard from a buddy that saw a guy's Marker bindings pre release when a snowboarder bumped his skis on the chair!
post #101 of 111
Yea I heard from a buddies friend that their sisters ski coach's wife's brother pre-released in marker bindings.
post #102 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobatt View Post
I knew a guy who heard from a buddy that saw a guy's Marker bindings pre release when a snowboarder bumped his skis on the chair!
I hate snowboarders, and Markers too . Was skiing down a run and just over a rise was a bunch of snowboarders strung across in a row. Wouldn't you know that after hitting them I Marker'd out. That's why I really hate Markers
post #103 of 111
[quote=Chad Sexington;908620] The tendency of Markers to pre-release when skiing aggressively is well established.

How, where and by whom has this tendency to pre-release been documented? You saying it's so doesn't make it so. I suspect that the cause of you and BushW's pre-release issues are pilot related not equipment related. It makes sense that a less reactive post and spring type binding such as a Look or a Soloman would not expose the flaws in your technique the way that a Marker does. If you need that kind of equipment to stay fastened to your skis then use it, and more power to you. There's no shame in it but for Cripe's sake don't try to pass it off as a virtue! Those skiers with a more refined technique will continue to find success with their Marker bindings, what's the problem? If you need to know more, go to the Vermont Safety website and see the difference between software and hardware problems.
post #104 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUBozangelas View Post
Yea I heard from a buddies friend that their sisters ski coach's wife's brother pre-released in marker bindings.
that's realy level I of scientific evidence.
no comments
post #105 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew R View Post
VIST and Solomon should only be used in the same sentence if it is a very close replication or variation of the following:

"VIST bindings are superior to Solomon bindings in every way."

Not similar at all.

Every binding 3-12 and above is essentially an all metal multi directional release binding (they have cosmetic plastic covers), combined with the plates they add a bit of weight to a ski but they also add quite a bit of 'ski' to a ski. ie the same ski mounted flat with a reasonable quality binding does not ski as well as the same ski with a VIST plate/ binding.

There is even a noticable difference between VIST plates which can change how the ski 'feels' under foot.

really interresting quote: it means , salomon should be obsolete???????

and what causes such a paramount superiority of vist over salomon???

your statements are very strong, hopefuly you have support for it. if not say it as well.
post #106 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUBozangelas View Post
Yea I heard from a buddies friend that their sisters ski coach's wife's brother Kevin Bacon pre-released in marker bindings.
Fixed it for ya
post #107 of 111
wow
this thread was pretty helpfull, yet i still cant make a desicion on whether to get jesters or vist v816's
post #108 of 111
What I can say about Marker Plastic POS bindings: They are shit. Plastic toy shit. My Jester Pros are wobbling both heel pieces and toe pieces have slop. The low energy plastic cannot take the torque of its own preload. The heel pieces are wallowed out on their hindgeoin. Cantelevering is occurring giving them unexpected reductions in retention forces. In bro: they let you go when you dont expect it. My heelpieces wobble after 60 days. They are really a let down.... and have failed their function test with random release tensions from different angles. Din at 10 release anywhere from 6-13 in a forward pull. Not quality. Not worth the money.
post #109 of 111
You're reopening a five year old thread?
post #110 of 111

Hey, he had to get that off his chest

post #111 of 111

 05/06 Skis and 1984  Raighl's? And you're that worried about your bindings? Yes all your gear is OLD. The PU in your boots could fracture at any point thus leaving you binding useless anyway. I don't care how old your bindings are, get new boots. PU gets brittle with age and use, along with cold temps you are playing with fire in this one. I would be way more concerned with the boots then the bindings. Just sayen. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion